InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Tamer ❯ Chapter 2 - The Dream and a Shattering Revelation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru awoke with a start, his eyes stinging from the lack of sleep. For some reason he couldn't identify, he'd just had a dream about his half-brother and it had been disturbing to say the least. All of his dreams of late had been about Inuyasha. In each, he couldn't stop picturing his brother's expression to the letter Sesshomaru had written. This last dream, however, it was more than just Inuyasha's reaction. Tears were flowing from the younger boy's eyes as he took a razor blade to his throat . . . and slashed it.

'I need to stop thinking about the half-breed,' he scolded himself, flopping onto his back. 'He isn't worth it. He's the reason why I left home anyway. To get away from him . . . and his voice.'

To say that he hated Inuyasha would have been an unfair statement. It really wasn't the boy he hated but the boy's talent. Sesshomaru had felt it to be unfair that Inuyasha had an amazing vocal talent and that, once he opened his mouth to say something, everyone stopped to listen. They would become completely enthralled with his brother, and it disgusted and angered Sesshomaru. Even his father adored Inuyasha, never sparing Sesshomaru a second glance once the boy came into the room. He had to get away lest he fall under his brother's spell.

Sesshomaru let out a heavy sigh and closed his eyes once more. He needed to get some sleep. He had to be up and at work in several hours. His boss, Naraku, wouldn't be happy if he came in exhausted once more.

He had just started to drift back to sleep when his communications console came to life. The annoying ring jerked him awake once more. Letting out a frustrated growl, Sesshomaru sprang out of his bed and jabbed the button to turn it on.

'Whoever's calling this late had better have a good reason for disturbing me,' he thought darkly. 'Or I shall make them pay.'

As the screen lit up, his father's visage came into view. The older youkai's expression was mournful, and it appeared as if he'd been crying. Immediately, Sesshomaru's anger vanished, somewhat shocked that the youkai would be contacting him. They had no reason to communicate with each other as far as Sesshomaru was concerned.

'Something's happened.'

“Father?” he blinked. “Why are you calling me? Have you any idea as to how late it is here?”

“I know. I didn't mean to disturb you, really,” the old man sighed. “But this couldn't keep, Sesshomaru. It's about your brother. He's . . .”

“Father, whatever it is, I . . .”

“He's in the medical wing, Sesshomaru. He tried to take his life sometime this evening. The healers aren't even sure if he's going to make it,” the older youkai interjected.

He felt his entire body going cold. Inuyasha had tried to . . . take his life?'No,' Sesshomaru shook his head. 'No . . . that can't be. This is a dream. A bad dream, like all the other dreams I've been having lately. I'll wake up and this won't be happening.'

“You need to come home,” his father continued. “He needs you. I need you . . . here. Please, Sesshomaru. I know you're not fond of him but please . . . come home.”

“How . . .” Sesshomaru had to pause to swallow the lump that had formed in his throat before he could continue. “How did he try to kill himself?”

'Please don't say he slashed his throat. Kami, please don't say that, Father.'

“He,” the older youkai heaved a ragged sigh, “he had snuck into the bathroom after I'd gone to bed . . . grabbed a razor blade and . . . slashed his wrists then his throat. I woke up the moment he drew blood and got in there just as he hit the floor.”

The voice that spoke afterwards wasn't his own. It sounded like him but it didn't sound like him. It was so distant in his own ears.

“I'll be home soon.”

* * *

“This isn't very good timing, Sesshomaru,” Naraku stated as he walked by several loaders, his tone irritated. Sesshomaru let out a soft sigh and nodded. After the communication with his father had ended, he'd gotten up, dressed, and left for the loading bays, where he knew the spider hanyou would be.

“I know, Naraku. Believe me, I know. And I wouldn't ask if it weren't an emergency. You know that.”

“Yes. I know this . . . what happened again? Your brother tried to kill himself?”

“Hai. Slashed his wrists and throat. The healers aren't sure if he's going to make it.”
 
“I didn't even know you had a brother,” Naraku murmured.
 
“My family isn't something I like talking about,” Sesshomaru slowly admitted. “But my father called me not that long ago to tell me the news . . .”
 
“I see . . .”

The dark-haired man paused for a moment then turned to look at him.

“Well, since it is a family matter and I'm not that cold-hearted, take the time you need. Keep me posted on what's going on, though. You're the best guard I have against the humans and I can't afford to lose you.”

“Arigato, Naraku,” Sesshomaru bowed curtly. “I appreciate it and I shall do my best.”

Naraku offered him a faint smile before turning his back to supervise the rest of his workers. Sesshomaru also turned and headed towards the transport system. Time was of the essence and he had to hurry. Why, he didn't know. He just knew that he had to.

'I'm coming, otouto. Hang on for a little while longer. I'm coming.'