InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing with Scissors ❯ Mementos, Oral Diarrhea, and the Value of Musical Theater ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

When Rin woke up the next morning, she was confused to find herself alone. She frequently climbed into her parents' bed in the middle of the night, but on waking, her father, who preferred to stay in bed until noon if allowed, was almost always lying next to her. It was her favorite cuddle time. Kikyou was an early riser, meaning she had Inuyasha's attention and affection all to herself. “Daddy?” she called. No answer. “Daddy!” Oberon trotted into the room, leaped on the bed, and licked her face in greeting, all the while wagging vigorously. He lay down next to her with a heavy sigh, and then she remembered. Her sore throat came back, and her eyes were watery. She put her arms around the big dog's neck and sobbed into his fur. Rin heard her aunt come into the room and felt the bed shift as she sat down.
 
“Hey, honey.” Kagome stroked Rin's head. “Poor dog. I already used him as a pillow to cry on this morning. At this rate he'll never dry out.” Rin sat up and smiled weakly. Kagome put her arms around her niece. “But that's what Irish Wolfhounds are best at. The first one I had, I cried on him every day for months, but he never seemed to mind.”
 
Rin sniffled. “What was his name?”
 
“Guinness. He looked a lot like Oberon, but he was old as the hills and very grizzled. That means he had a lot of gray hair.”
 
“Why did you cry so much? Did someone else die?”
 
Kagome was quiet for a minute, and Rin knew she was remembering old sadness. “No, honey, someone just wanted to die. But she got better.” She tilted the girl's face to look at her. “Okay? So if you feel crying, do it. A lot of the time, you feel at least a little bit better after. I know the value of a good crying session.”
 
Rin was well aware of this. Kagome cried all the time. More than any adult she knew. But Kagome cried for many reasons, not just sadness. She cried when she felt sentimental, listened to beautiful music, saw certain things, and was happy. Rin didn't really understand happy crying.
 
Rin was able, though she didn't comprehend how or why, to sense what other people were feeling. Sometimes she could just tell if they were glad or upset, sometimes she knew if someone was lying. Her mother had been difficult to read; she had almost always projected a feeling of calm control, though Rin knew there was a lot more going on underneath. Her father had been fairly uncomplicated; though he was usually cheerful, lots of things made him angry, and she perceived that there was sadness he pushed down. Kagome, on the other hand, didn't bury anything. She thought her aunt's emotions were like a kaleidoscope. Bright and colorful and always changing. Kagome was quick to rage and sorrow, but she turned happy again easily.
 
“What would you like for breakfast this morning?” Kagome asked when the girl had finished wiping her eyes. “Or let me rephrase that, what kind of cereal would you like for breakfast?”
 
“Aren't there more donuts?” Rin asked optimistically.
 
“There's one, but let's save it for after lunch.”
 
Rin knew which battles to choose and nutrition was not one of them. Her aunt was not as bad a, as her father had liked to say, `Food Fascist' or `Nutrition Nazi' as her mother, but Kagome was close. “Cheerios,” she said with resignation.
 
As Rin ate, Kagome poured herself a cup of coffee. “So…sweetie…are you excited to meet your grandparents?”
 
“Uh huh. What are they like?” She knew her father had living parents, but he never talked about them.
 
“Honey, I've never met them. I'm sure they are very curious about you though.”
 
“What about my uncle? What's his name again?”
 
“His name is Sesshoumaru.”
 
“What kinda name is that?” Rin went to school with a Nehemiah, an Atticus, a Kieran, a Ramsi, and a Shippou, names she found somewhat strange. But not like this; she wasn't even sure she could pronounce her uncle's name.
 
“It's an unusual name, but so is Inuyasha. As far as what he's like…I've only met him twice. Once, when your Mommy and Daddy got married, and then when you were a baby, at your Welcoming Ceremony. He looks like…your Daddy's brother.” Kagome decided the description of `Sex on a Silver Platter' would not be suitable.
 
“My eyes?”
 
“Your eyes.” Kagome nodded with a smile. “Pretty, golden eyes. We are meeting them at the park at noon, so around eleven we'll have lunch and change into nice clothes and brush and braid your hair and make sure your nails are clean and…anyway, I want to make a good impression. So we'll get all ready after lunch. Until then, I've got a couple phone calls to make, but we have a job to do.” Kagome took a deep breath, hoping she was doing the right thing. “We have to decide, together, what we want to go into the coffins before they get cremated. What we want them to wear, what favorite things they would want to take with them. Okay? But Rin, if you don't want to, tell me. You don't have to do this if it makes you too sad or uncomfortable.”
 
“I want to help. Are they really going into a fiery furnace?”
 
“Well, yeah,” Kagome admitted. “But it won't hurt.”
 
Rin made a `duh' face. “They're dead, Kagome. I'm not a baby, you know. I'm almost five.”
 
Kagome had to laugh. “No, dear, you are definitely not a baby. Nor are you almost five. You'll be almost five in five and a half months.”
 
Rin rolled her eyes. Grown-ups did not understand half years at all.
 
“Alright dolly, let's get dressed.”
 
XxXxX
 
Sesshoumaru Taisho helped his mother out of the car, relieved at the improvement in her wellbeing since yesterday afternoon, when he had related to her his conversation with Kagome. As soon as she had learned there was a meeting with the child scheduled, she had gotten out of bed, opened the curtains, put away the Xanax, and eaten some food. This morning she chatted animatedly, only occasionally weeping over Inuyasha, asking Sesshoumaru questions he was unable to answer. He had no idea, of course, what Rin's favorite foods and colors were, whether she liked horses, which room they should redecorate for her bedroom, or if she had begun Junior Cotillion classes, though he had strong suspicions that, given the girl's young age and the fact that Inuyasha thought etiquette training was as worthless a waste of time as watching paint dry, the response to the last point was a resounding `no.'
 
“This Higurashi woman better not be late! Does she not realize what kind of place this is?” Ken Taisho nervously eyed the old men with brown paper bags on the bench and the youths playing basketball.
 
Sesshoumaru was tired of his father's paranoid irritability; he had been listening to him grouse all morning and was getting a headache. “I'm sure she knows exactly what kind of park this is. They live in the neighborhood.”
 
Memorial Park, full of stately oaks and catalpa trees, was the city's oldest park. It was situated in an old neighborhood, full of dilapidated Victorian houses, which had recently begun to experience a noticeable amount of renovation and revitalization, the first steps to restoring some of its architectural splendor and habitability.
 
Sesshoumaru kept careful track of the increasing housing values in this neighborhood, since it was the closest to the downtown, where he had devoted much effort toward the development of businesses, nightlife, and culture. Four new high-rise office towers had been constructed; the Arts Center had gotten a new venue, a renovated historic theater; three new four-and-five-star hotels had been built; scores of upscale restaurants, bars, and clubs had opened; dozens of luxury condominiums had gone up; and countless storefronts, many with historic preservation status, had been turned into office space, housing lawyers, doctors, and businesses. There was an excitement about the economic boost downtown, property values were skyrocketing, and he was responsible for all of it. When his father had his heart attack, Sesshoumaru moved back and transformed Taisho, Inc. from a real estate company dealing primarily with office park construction in the suburbs, to the driving force behind rebirth of the downtown business model, improved skyline, and the halt and reversal of urban blight.
 
But his latest venture was the new sports arena. It would be a huge multi-use facility, accommodating the city's professional basketball team and the university's men's and women's basketball teams, attracting regional and tournament games and championships, stadium concerts, and conventions. It was the culmination of his work. Unfortunately it had a one-hundred-ten million dollar price tag, one that would have to be financed to a large extent by an increase in certain municipal taxes. It was his ill-luck, however, that the local politicians didn't have the balls to approve the tax and instead were passing the responsibility to the voters in the form of a special referendum. The vote would take place early next year, and, much to his continued displeasure, his position lately was as chief lobbyist. Though he had continued working at home via laptop the past two days, he couldn't wait to get back to the office, preferably going straight from the funeral.
 
“Sesshoumaru,” his mother said, “you've met Kagome Higurashi before. What is she like?”
 
“Mother, it's been over four years, and I barely spoke to her. Inuyasha thought highly of her, though I'll leave you to judge whether that is a recommendation of the woman.”
 
“Your father seems to believe she is just after our money. Did she strike you as that sort?”
 
“Honestly, no,” Sesshoumaru replied. “I doubt very much she is thinking of anything other than the child's best interest.”
 
Ken Taisho heard what his son said and scoffed.
 
“I'm glad to hear that,” Rose Taisho said with relief. “I'm sure if she only has the child in mind, she'll understand how much better off the girl would be living with us. It will be so much easier if she doesn't try to fight us for custody.”
 
Wishful thinking, Sesshoumaru sighed to himself. But, he decided, it's not my business. If his parents wanted the child that was up to them. It had nothing to do with him, and he planned on staying completely out of the disagreeable matter.
 
“Well, where the devil is she?” complained his father. “It's almost noon.”
 
Sesshoumaru angrily looked at his watch. “Father, if you could postpone your diatribe for nine minutes...it's only eleven fifty-two. She's not late yet.”
 
XxXxX
 
“Okay Rin Rin. In Daddy's coffin we'll put a picture of you and Mommy, a picture of me and you and Mommy, the coffee mug you painted for him, a bottle of bourbon, a copy of The Tao of Pooh, his favorite werewolf mask, and a deck of cards. Mommy will get a picture of you and Daddy, her Swiss Army knife, a copy of Princess Mononoke, a copy of Diet for a Small Planet (Twentieth Anniversary Edition), her yoga mat, and…that's it.”
 
Rin frowned. “Kah-go-me! You're cheating,” the girl accused. “I said Mommy would want her Fruits Basket plushies, and you said—”
 
“I know what I said, but I can't do it!” Kagome started tearing up. “I can't throw them in! Look at how cute they are!”
 
“But…how `bout we pick one?” Rin tried diplomatically.
 
“One?” Kagome scanned the pile, unable to choose between stuffed cats, rats, dogs, rabbits, the cute human forms, the even cuter human forms in animal costumes, and smiling rice balls. “I can't!” she cried.
 
“Yuki was Mommy's favorite,” prompted Rin.
 
“But…he's too cute.”
 
“And she said Kyo reminded her of Daddy.”
 
Kagome started to panic. “I can't honey. If Yuki and Kyo go in, Tohru would have to go to keep the peace. And Momiji would want to be included. And Shigure would be lonely. Ican'tIcan'tICAN'T!”
 
Rin wouldn't budge; Kagome was disturbed at the mercilessness of kids. Then she remembered they were on a timetable. She looked at the time on her cell phone. “Holy shit! It's eleven fifty-three! We have to be there in seven minutes!” She looked at Rin. The girl had messy hair, the crazy cowlick on the top of her head standing straight up, and was wearing a wrinkled orange and white checkered sundress. I could fix her up or be late, Kagome realized. Deciding that Rin's innate cuteness would carry the moment, punctuality was more important. “Let's get to the park!”
 
Oberon, lying nearby, heard Kagome say `park.' He calmly got up and went to the hook on which his leash hung, then started to whine and do his little going-for-a-walk dance, widely interpreted to mean `I'm gonna get a squirrel for sure.'
 
“Sorry, Obi, not this time,” Kagome apologized, as they breezed past him, grabbing the nearest footwear, running down the steps.
 
“Kagome, did you say the S-word?” Rin asked as they sprinted down the street, pulling on rain boots.
 
“Me? Never. I said…shirt.”
 
Holy shirt? Rin knew without even trying that Kagome was lying.
 
XxXxX
 
Sesshoumaru checked the time again. Two minutes after twelve. His father was brewing in self-righteousness.
 
“Hey! We're here!” a female voice called from behind them. The three Taisho's turned and saw Kagome and Rin running toward them. “I hope we're not too late. We were busy, and I lost track of time.” Kagome extended her hand to Ken Taisho. “Hi! You must be Mr. Taisho. We've never met. I'm Kagome.” Ken took her hand briefly. “Mrs. Taisho.” Kagome originally thought of giving Inuyasha's mother a comforting hug, but she realized she was kind of sweaty from running and half-carrying Rin the three blocks from their apartment. They shook hands. “Sesshoumaru. Hi, it's been awhile,” Kagome smiled, still somewhat out of breath.
 
Sesshoumaru saw that Kagome had changed little in four years. She was tall and slender with a pretty, if unremarkable, face. The only thing different was her hair, which had been short and colored purple on the ends. Now her hair was long and, he noticed, unkempt. In fact everything about her appearance suggested lack of adequate preparation. She was wearing bright yellow rubber boots, paint-splattered cut-offs, and a faded grey t-shirt with black letters that read `I taught your boyfriend that thing you like.' Obviously a woman of quality, he cynically thought with disgust.
 
“Rin, come and meet your family,” Kagome said gently to the small dark head peeking around her leg. The little girl shyly appeared from behind her aunt. She was an attractive child, with long, uncombed hair and untidy clothes, but she at least seemed clean, Sesshoumaru observed.
 
Rose Taisho knelt down in front of the girl and took her hands. “You must be Rin Taisho. I'm very pleased to meet you.”
 
Rin looked up at Kagome with a question on her face. “Um, Rin's last name is Higurashi-Taisho. With a hyphen,” Kagome said guiltily. She knew she had nothing about which to feel guilty, but the two older people clearly disapproved of Rin's surname. Inuyasha's parents, she noticed, were dressed in simple, expensive-looking, black clothes. His father was tall, white-haired, with a handsome, heavily-lined face. His mother, Kagome thought, was the most fragile creature she'd ever seen. She was small of stature, had black hair, streaked white at the temples, and a face beautiful like a delicate flower. Kagome was suddenly painfully aware of her clothing, flushed sweatiness, and dishevled hair. Good god, someone fucking kill me, she prayed. “Rin, this is your grandmother.”
 
“Hi?” Rin had frequently been around adults and generally felt comfortable with them. She was, however, unsure about how to behave around the elderly.
 
“And this is your grandfather,” Kagome continued. Rin thought the old man looked crabby, but she suspected he was a softie underneath. “And this is your uncle, Sesshoumaru.”
 
“Hello, Rin.”
 
Rin looked up at the much taller man. He had long hair like her Daddy's, but her uncle's was even longer. He looked strong, and Rin realized with delight her days of riding around on the shoulders of an adult were actually not over, as previously thought. Kagome gave her piggy-back rides, but refused to let the girl on her shoulders, saying it freaked her to be so top heavy. Then she saw his eyes. They were the same as hers. Her face broke into an enormous smile. It was love at first sight.
 
Kagome watched closely. The child's smitten, she noted. Inuyasha would have been extremely annoyed.
 
“Rin,” her grandmother said, “tell me something about yourself.”
 
“I have a loose tooth. It's my first one.” She demonstrated by wiggling one of her middle bottom teeth. “Can you push me on the swing?”
 
“I haven't pushed a child on a swing in many years, but I think I can remember how with your help,” Rose Taisho responded. Rin smiled wide, took her grandparents by their hands, and led them in the direction of the playground, leaving Kagome and Sesshoumaru alone.
 
Kagome looked at Sesshoumaru out of the corner of her eye. Tailored black linen pants and grey lawn shirt showed off the strength and grace of his broad shoulders, tapering to narrow hips. His silvery white hair extended past mid back, and Kagome wondered if it felt as silky as it looked. She tried to act natural as her glance strayed up to his face. His sinfully gorgeous face. Goddam, he should be illegal, Kagome brooded as she reminded herself not to drool. “So…Rin seems okay. She's a pretty friendly kid. Sorry again for the lateness. I hope you weren't waiting too long. We were going through Kikyou and Inuyasha's stuff, trying to decide what to put in the coffins. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. So many of their prized possessions I really felt I should save for Rin for when she's older. Like their wedding bands, for example. And Inuyasha's favorite baseball cap. And my sister's favorite shoes. Well, okay, truthfully those would be for me…but you get the picture. Anyway we spent the morning reminiscing and laughing and crying, and the time flew way faster than I thought it would.” Fuck! I'm babbling, Kagome thought, shut up idiot! “If you want to go through any of it for some keepsakes, let me know. I'm putting it all in a storage shed, but I can give you the key whenever you want.”
 
Sesshoumaru stared at her dispassionately. “Thank you for your consideration. I have no interest, but perhaps my mother would.”
 
“Oh, another thing. The service. I've asked our friend Miroku to deliver the eulogy. I don't know if you remember him; he was at Rin's baby welcoming and the wedding. He's married to Sango.” Kagome paused for a hint that he was listening to her. “You met Sango at the wedding…she was the maid of honor.” Still nothing. “Anyway,” she decided to forge ahead despite Sesshoumaru's lack of response, “the service tomorrow will be short and informal, one reading, one song. But if there is any reading that you all would like included, tell me. I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out the song, but—”
 
“I'm sure whatever you've picked out will be sufficient. But thank you again for thinking of us.”
 
Silence. Kagome became more and more uncomfortable. Was he deliberately trying to bother her? She wasn't necessarily the type of person who was addicted to the sound of her own voice, but she definitely had a tendency to talk. At this point in time it could be described as a bad habit. “So anyway…isn't this park great? I hope I can find a new place to rent in this neighborhood. I hate fucking moving more than anything…okay maybe not more than looking for a job, but there's no way in hell I can afford the rent on my own. I got pretty spoiled living with two other people the last several years. With my line of work, the financial thing is fairly sporadic, and it was always nice being able to count on Kikyou and Yasha when I was in between jobs. I can always go back to teaching classes at the fabric store if money gets too tight. Or god forfuckingbid go back to doing custom wedding dresses.” Kagome! Close your damn mouth! “At least Kikyou already paid next year's tuition at Rin's preschool. That's five thousand dollars I don't have to pull out of my ass.” Shut the hell up! “But I'm sure we'll get by. I've gotten some choice commissions recently. I just wish art was more lucrative, although the fact that I quit my day job years ago shows I'm doing something right. This summer will be tough, with Rin out of school. There's a day camp at her preschool, but it's only for a few weeks. I guess I just need to reorganize my whole way of doing things. I sure as shit can't set my own hours anymore. But I guess it could be worse. I could have a real job.” She finally put the brakes on the runaway train that was her mouth and looked at Sesshoumaru.
 
He was astounded. No one had said so much that interested him so little in a long time. Probably since the last time he spoke with his brother. He didn't want to say anything for fear of encouraging her to start talking again.
 
“Should we go over to the playground? I want to make sure Rin isn't too much for your parents to handle. She's pretty energetic.”
 
They walked to the playground in time to see Rin, swinging high, call out “Watch this!” and jump. She landed heavily and didn't move. Rose Taisho shrieked, and she and her husband ran toward the child.
 
“Oh shit!” Kagome cursed. She and Sesshoumaru started to run. “It's okay! She's not hurt!” she called out.
 
Sesshoumaru reached the motionless little body first, followed closely by Kagome, then the elder Taishos.
 
“Rin likes to pretend she's dead. She and Inuyasha did this all the time. It drove my sister up a tree,” Kagome explained to the worried adults. “Okay, honey, stop faking. It's only funny to people who are in on the joke.” The worry on the Taisho faces turned to anger and disapproval.
 
Rin sat up, profoundly perplexed. Her aunt never gave her away. “Kagome! You spoiled it!” the girl complained.
 
Fuck, now everyone's mad at me, and I didn't even do anything, Kagome reflected on the unfairness. “Sweetheart, I know you and Daddy thought playing possum was great fun, but for others it's kinda scary. Why don't you say sorry for shortening your uncle's and grandparents' lives.”
 
Rin realized Kagome was a little mad, and the Taishos were worried and a little mad. “I'm sorry. I'm okay.” She decided to test the waters and determine how far a bit of charm would take her. She smiled sweetly and asked, “Will you take me out for ice cream?”
 
“Ah, Rin you haven't had lunch yet. There will be plenty of opportunities for your grandparents to shower you with your favorite dairy products later. I should get you home and feed you.”
 
Rin couldn't believe this was happening. Kagome thwarted her two times in a row? Was her aunt turning into her mother? “But…Uncle Sesshoumaru hasn't even played with me yet!”
 
Kagome sensed a hunger-induced temper tantrum right around the corner. “There will be plenty of opportunities for that too. But right now, honey, we need to say goodbye.”
 
“Rin, your aunt is correct,” Sesshoumaru cut off his parents' contradiction. He needed to make some phone calls and check email. “I'll play with you another time. We should be going now too.”
 
Kagome sighed gratefully that Sesshoumaru was, at least for now, an ally. “Well, we will see you tomorrow at the service. Thanks for getting together with us.”
 
Farewells were exchanged, and Rin demanded a piggy-back ride home.
 
“So, honey, what did you think of them?” Kagome asked as she walked down Third Street.
 
“They want me to like them. But they're sad about Daddy. I think I like them. They said they would take me to swim in the ocean.”
 
Kagome knew Inuyasha's parents owned a condo in Florida. “We'll see. What about Sesshoumaru?”
 
“I like him. He's a little sad too though.”
 
“He has feelings? Are you sure he's not a robot?” Kagome asked, only half joking.
 
“That's silly, Kagome. He doesn't even look like a robot.”
 
Kagome laughed. “And what does a robot look like?”
 
Rin thought for a moment. “Not like him,” she replied simply.
 
Kagome had to agree.
 
XxXxX
 
Sango and Kagome sat in the living room sipping Cosmopolitans. Rin was asleep. Miroku had gotten the legal ball rolling. Kikyou and Inuyasha's clothes and favorite things had been taken to the funeral home. All was right in the world.
 
“So…how'd today go?” Drink in her hand notwithstanding, Sango straddled the role of therapist and friend effortlessly. She listened well, gave comfort, and pointed out bullshit in equal measure.
 
“Good. Really good,” Kagome answered. “Isaiah came home early, so Rin went downstairs, and I was able to run with the dog. It's amazing what exercise can do to give perspective. I have barely cried at all since my shower.” Kagome set her drink down. “I think the meeting with the Taishos went well. We weren't too late, and Rin was cute as shit. Well, until she pulled the playing dead thing. I still can't believe she did that. Oh, and I couldn't seem to keep from babbling to Sesshoumaru. He probably thinks I'm insane. But it was all good. I know Inuyasha wanted to reconcile with his parents, and they're Rin's family. She has a right to get to know them. The more family she has the better.”
 
“And Sesshoumaru…” Sango hinted. She had seen the man exactly twice in person and still thought he was unrivaled in the looks, presence, and general tastiness department.
 
Kagome groaned. “Let's just say…he's aging well. He's what thirty two? Still looks like a god. Fuck, Sango. It's not right…he's hotter than the sun, but it's all wasted.”
 
“Huh?” He couldn't possibly be gay, Sango pondered.
 
“All that male…yummy…dreaminess, wasted. He's got zero personality. There are cadavers with more charisma. Though I can predict with reasonable certainty who'll be on my mind when I masturbate tonight.”
 
“He's probably just guarded. Loss makes people very careful.” Sango ignored the masturbation remark. She was all for self-love, but wished Kagome would start dating again.
 
“Yeahyeah. Loss shmoss. He's as cold and distant as Inuyasha said he is.” She sipped her drink. “And I still don't know what song to have Latrisha sing tomorrow. Yasha would want something ironic; Kikyou would want something spiritual. What the hell song is appropriate? It has to be something Trisha already knows or can learn in a few hours.”
 
Sango contemplated Kagome's dilemma. “Ironic, yet spiritual. That's a problem.”
 
“Yeah, no shit.” Then it came to her. She sang it as a lullaby to Rin that night. “Sango…you know in Jesus Christ Superstar, Mary Magdalen's song Everything's Alright?
 
“It's been ages…remind me.”
 
Kagome, in her beautiful, soprano voice began singing.
 
Try not to get worried, try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you,
oh.
Don't you know
Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine.
And we want you to sleep well tonight.
Let the world turn without you tonight.
If we try, we'll get by, so
forget all about us tonight.
 
Sleep and I shall soothe you, calm you, and anoint you.
Myrrh for your hot forehead, oh.
Then you'll feel
Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine.
And it's cool, and the ointment's sweet
For the fire in your head and feet.
Close your eyes, close your eyes
And relax, think of nothing tonight
.
 
The two women looked at each other after Kagome finished. “It's just the Mary Magdalen part. Judas and Jesus have a musical exchange in it, but I always leave that out when I sing it to Rin.”
 
“I think it's perfect,” Sango said, eyes teary. “I think they would both approve. Kikyou would love it; it's a beautiful song. And Inuyasha would definitely appreciate the irony. Jesus Christ Superstar at his funeral. Miroku's gonna shit himself laughing when I tell him. Why don't you sing it?”
 
“I wouldn't be able to make it past the first word without breaking down. Fuck. Tomorrow's gonna be rough.”
 
XxXxX
 
Ken Taisho was on the phone, with his wife listening in carefully.
 
“Kagura, did you file the petition for guardianship today?” Rose Taisho sat on pins and needles, only able to hear one end of the conversation. “Is your brother back in jail yet?” He was silent as the woman at the other end replied. “Good. Tell Naraku to dig up as much dirt as he can on Kagome Higurashi. I got the general impression today at the park that she probably has several weaknesses to exploit. The woman's not fit to raise a child. The sooner we can get the poor girl under our roof the better.” He hung up.
 
Rose Taisho was enamored with her granddaughter. She had always wanted a girl in addition to her two sons, but a miscarriage and depression ensured, at least for a time, that was not to be. Now she had her chance though. If she could have Rin come live with them, she could undo all the wrong she had been party to. She could erase all the hurt and betrayal and anger that made up the childhoods of Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. She would have a blank slate to love, and this time she would not let her husband call the shots. She was stronger now. She would make it all up to Inuyasha, all the guilt, all the illness, and raise his daughter with the love she wished she could have given her sons. She didn't want Kagome Higurashi to be a casualty and didn't approve dragging the woman's name through the mud, but if that's what it took, so be it.
 
&&&
 
Thanks for reading. I do not own Inuyasha, neither characters, nor plots. I also have no claim to Cheerios, Xanax, The Tao of Pooh, Swiss Army, Princess Mononoke, Diet for a Small Planet (any edition), Fruits Basket, Jesus Christ Superstar, songs contained within, or the words on a t-shirt I saw last year referring to the reader's preferences and boyfriend's prowess and education.