InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing with Scissors ❯ Bad News For People Who Like Good News ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kagome stifled a yawn as she poured herself some coffee. She tried to do the daily crossword online but, mind clouded from lack of sleep, couldn't concentrate and closed the lid on her laptop. Kikyou and Inuyasha's memorial service was later that morning, and she wished she could crawl into a hole and emerge a few days later, when the people who were least touched by the tragedy will have effortlessly gone back to their lives and forgotten about pitying her. She remembered her parents' funeral—the furtive, sneaking glances, quickly looking away; the side-show, rubber-necking perception of her and her sister's grief on display; the constant self-questioning of whether they were mourning correctly. She wished she could spare Rin all of it, at the same time knowing the little girl wouldn't experience the same. She and Kikyou had been seniors in high school when they lost their parents, on the cusp of the adult world, but not part of it, perhaps not at the peak of mistrust and rebellion, but the rawest angst of the teenage years was still fresh. Rin is only four, she told herself, and will need to be shielded from completely different things.
 
Kagome shook herself inwardly. She would put on her brave face for Rin. Her niece had no one else. The weight of the shifting responsibility pressed and pulled, suddenly suffocating. She babysat frequently and was almost a minor parent, certainly an occasional temporary one, a role at which she excelled. Kagome loved caring for Rin and was adept at feeding, clothing, bathing, and easing the child into sleep, but she always had the comfort that at the end of the night or the end of the weekend, Rin would go back to being Kikyou and Inuyasha's responsibility. They made the decisions, doled out the discipline, felt the loving burden of parenthood. She prayed she was capable of exchanging roles, becoming the instinctive parent, the confident parent.
 
Hell, at least it will keep me from staying drunk for the next month, she thought, after contemplating a Bloody Mary breakfast. She'd pulled many crazy stunts in her life, most hand-in-hand with Inuyasha, some she was proud of, some she wished for selective amnesia, but drunk at their memorial service was inexcusable, even for her.
 
“Kagome…” a sleepy little voice called from down the hall.
 
“In the kitchen, sweetie.” Rin, clutching a plush raccoon, appeared in the doorway, on the verge of tears. “Com'ere honey,” Kagome said gently as she reached out and pulled the girl into her lap, reminding herself to be strong, not to cry.
 
“Kagome,” she sniffed, “I don't want to say goodbye today. Can we have the memorial service tomorrow instead?”
 
Don't cry don't cry. “Rin Rin…it's gotta be today. Talk to me honey.”
 
Tears spilled from golden eyes and fell down round cheeks. “I don't wanna say goodbye. I don't want them to be gone.”
 
“Oh god, honey,” to hell with not crying she decided, “neither do I.” She rocked the child in her lap as they both softly sobbed. “Rin,” Kagome said, after a deep breath, “we will never stop saying goodbye. The only thing that will be different is that each day it will hurt a tiny bit less. I promise I will keep them alive for you. When you turn five, I will tell you what I remember from when Mommy and I turned five. When you go off to college, I will tell stories of what Daddy was like in college. I'll teach you how to drive like Daddy would have, and I'll teach you how to play guitar like Mommy would have.” Kagome grabbed a couple tissues and held one in front of Rin's face so she could blow, then blew her own nose. “We are here for each other, okay? I'm just lucky that of all the people in the world to go through this crappy thing with, I have you,” Kagome kissed the top of Rin's head and hugged her tightly, “you special, special girl.”
 
Rin hugged back as hard as she could. It seemed like of all the adults in her life, Kagome almost always knew exactly what to say. She suddenly felt better. The swirly grey wisps that had been dancing around Kagome for the past two days no longer seemed to be closing in, and Rin knew that, though her aunt was still sad and anxious, she was calmer. Sitting on her lap, Rin felt protected, almost as much as she had with her father. Inuyasha used to throw her in the air, tossing her straight up higher and higher, sometimes only catching her right above the ground. She loved the delicious scariness of falling, but he always caught her; she never doubted. Despite her aunt's wild, unpredictable side, Rin trusted Kagome nearly that much. “I love you Kagome.”
 
“I love you too, baby.”
 
“I'm not a baby.”
 
“Oh, I know.”
 
“Did you make me a dress last night?”
 
The night before, as Rin looked on, Kagome had dug through her clothes looking for something to wear. She owned more black dresses than any ten women combined, but most of them were entirely inappropriate, whether backless, tight, practically see-through, short as sin, or beaded, most screamed `Looking for mindless sex, with or without commitment' not `Paying loving respect to my sister and brother'. Her grey and dark blue items, while slightly less obvious, were not demure enough in her eyes, and, though Kikyou was sure to have a dozen or more items close to what she pictured, the creepy-factor of wearing her sister's clothes to her own memorial service put them out of bounds. An existing piece would have to be altered.
 
As Kagome examined the possibilities, Rin thought of something. The girl went downstairs and came back up a few minutes later, reporting that all her dresses were colorful and cute, and if Kagome was going to wear black, could she pleaseprettyplease wear black too. Kagome had taken Rin's measurements for some summer frocks only two weeks earlier and had plenty of yardage of various black fabric. It would mean staying up half the night, but she knew the value of not standing out more than necessary at one's parents' funeral.
 
“I did, and it should fit fine.”
 
Rin smiled at the prospect of wearing black, something she thought of as a very adult thing to do. “Can I try it on?”
 
“Breakfast first. Miroku and Sango will be here soon to pick us up, and I at least want to have you fed before then.”
 
As Kagome poured some granola into a bowl, Rin asked, “Will my uncle be there today?”
 
“Yes, he should be. Why…did you like him?” Kagome teased.
 
Rin blushed lightly. “He's not like Daddy…but I think he's good. Does he like me?”
 
Kagome set the bowl on the table in front of her niece and tried to smooth down Rin's cowlick. “To know you is to love, darling. I'm sure even stony Sesshoumaru Taisho is not immune to your charms.”
 
“Whaddaya mean stony?” Rin asked quizzically.
 
Kagome thought a second. “You know how you said `he's not like Daddy'? Your dad was mostly cheerful, loud, funny. Daddy's brother isn't any of those things. That's what I mean.”
 
Rin accepted the explanation. “I still think he's good, though.”
 
Kagome watched as Rin ate her cereal and sighed with something as near to contentment as she'd felt in days. She may not be able to be the super-parent Kikyou was, but she would prove to everyone, especially herself, that Rin would survive and thrive under her care.
 
XxXxX
 
Thomas and Sons Funeral Home was packed with a sea of mourners, all good friends of Inuyasha and Kikyou. Kagome, wanting to keep the memorial service as private as possible, withheld the information from the published obituary. She had talked to some of Kikyou's band mates, and they were planning to have a show in the near future for fans to attend, but for the time being, she intended to shut out the public at large. The assembly included members of the local music and art scenes, friends of Inuyasha from the cult-movie fan group he founded, and friends of Kikyou from her graduate school years and the numerous organizations where she volunteered.
 
Sesshoumaru and his parents entered the main room right behind a group dressed up as zombies.
 
Rose Taisho clutched her son's arm. “Sesshoumaru, are you certain this is the correct location?” she asked, praying they were mistaken and could turn around and leave.
 
Ken Taisho felt the same, though he wanted to leave regardless if this was the right place or not. “Hn. It looks like a damn freak show.”
 
Sesshoumaru surveyed the crowd. He recognized a few lawyers and a couple local businessmen, but, for the most part, the group of young, arty hipsters, many with visible tattoos and multiple piercings, only served as a gentle reminder that he and his brother inhabited two very different worlds. The zombies and Goths were as subtle a reminder as a slap to the face. Then he saw Kagome Higurashi across the room, greeting and hugging a woman with a Mohawk and a man with dreadlocks. “We're in the right place,” he said blandly to his parents. He wondered at first if she was part of the zombies, she looked so pale, with dark circles under her eyes and slightly sunken cheeks. The pair conversing with her said something sympathetic, and she unsuccessfully fought back tears, looking incredibly vulnerable. She was wearing an elegant black silk dress and, coupled with her pallor, looked like Grief Personified. He glanced at his watch, wondering if the service would begin on time and if he would get any work done before his power lunch with the mayor.
 
“Oh…there she is, the precious, darling child,” his mother declared upon spotting the girl standing next to Kagome. Rin suddenly looked up, as if she knew they were watching her. She spied Sesshoumaru and immediately broke into a huge grin. She tugged on Kagome's dress and pointed toward her other family members. Kagome followed Rin's gesture and met Sesshoumaru's gaze. She smiled, excused herself from the couple she with whom she was speaking, dried her eyes, and, holding Rin's hand, threaded her way through the throng to the Taishos, still standing near the door.
 
“It's good to see you again. I wish it were under better circumstances, but Inuyasha would be happy that you are here.”
 
“Young lady,” the elder Taisho said sternly, “what is the meaning of this…this spectacle?”
 
Kagome saw the zombies nearby and laughed self-consciously. “Oh...the undead,” she said, trying to make it sound as natural an occurrence as possible. “Yeah. Inuyasha was the driving force behind the local zombie walk. They're just paying tribute to him.”
 
Ken Taisho scoffed, “And you don't find it highly offensive?”
 
Kagome laughed again, painfully aware of the disapproval in his voice. “Actually Inuyasha would whole-heartedly approve. The Limp and Lurch Down Summit Avenue Annual Zombie Fest was his baby. He said his two main goals in life were to have another kid and to grow Limp and Lurch into North America's largest zombie walk.” The Taishos looked at her blankly. “It's this thing…where people dress up as the living dead and have a parade. They take place all over the world. Locally, it goes down Summit. It's the first Saturday in October, and, weather permitting, it's followed by an outdoor screening of a zombie movie. Last year was the fourth year, and it was a huge success.” They looked at her with disbelief. “Really, it's okay. Inuyasha would be in costume himself if he weren't already…” Kagome tried to stop the next word from forming, but her mouth clearly had a mind of its own, “…dead.” She registered the shock and disgust on their faces before she closed her eyes and wished for a quick and painless death.
 
Rin chimed in. “The zombie walk is really fun. Last year I got the prize for the cutest zombie. And the year before that I won for the youngest zombie.”
 
All eyes were now fixed on Rin, and Kagome silently thanked the child for perfect timing in deflecting attention from her ill-chosen words and mentally promised to let her niece eat dessert before dinner.
 
Rose Taisho bent down near her granddaughter. “Rin dear, how are you today?” she asked with concern.
 
“I'm okay. Kagome made my dress. See?” she asked as she spun around, enjoying the sensation of the skirt fluttering around her. The dress, with its empire waist, cap sleeves, and tulip skirt, was far more complicated than Kagome had originally intended and had taken hours of sewing late last night, but it was worth every minute to see Rin twirling happily.
 
“Aren't you adorable,” Mrs. Taisho sighed, covetously watching the girl.
 
“It's black,” Rin said proudly, coming to a stop, “but I didn't have any black shoes. Kagome said to wear these.” Everyone looked at Rin's bubblegum pink clogs as she lifted a foot up. “She said it would be moronic.”
 
“Ironic!” Kagome said quickly and a tad loudly. “The word is ironic, honey,” again tittering nervously, feeling the heat of staring, hostile eyes and wondering what it was about these people that made her feel like such a dimwit. “Kids say the cutest shit don't they?” she giggled, immediately cringing at her regrettable diction.
 
Kagome! You said the S-word again. Mommy said it makes you sound like a redneck.”
 
Kagome had a talent for obscenity and scatology usually found in sailors or long-haul truckers, and which manifested most often under stress. She bit back the urge to unleash her profane vocabulary in all its glory. Instead she merely slumped her shoulders and ripped apart the lacy handkerchief in her hands.
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head imperceptibly. For years his brother had referred to Kagome as his best friend, speaking of her warmth, wit, and intelligence. He recalled the first time they met, at Inuyasha's wedding. His parents, of course, had refused to attend; Inuyasha's marriage to Kikyou was the last battle in the war that was the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Taisho and their younger son, causing them to disinherit him. Sesshoumaru thought his parents were being ridiculous, as marrying a woman with no social standing was hardly worse than anything else Inuyasha had ever pulled, and attended the wedding in spite of, or maybe because of, their objections. His first impression of Kagome Higurashi was of a young, cute, drunk airhead. His impression of her presently was that, even sober, she was an imbecile, and now he could add foul-mouthed to the list of attributes. Inuyasha, on the rare occasions the brothers spoke to each other, offered to set Sesshoumaru and Kagome up on a date. `She really is an amazing person, dude. She'd thaw your cold ass out' he had said. Sesshoumaru never once considered the proposal; even though he didn't know the girl, she was hardly suitable for someone in his position. Looking at the awkward creature in front of him and remembering her foolish prattle at the park, he realized how correct his initial assessment of her was.
 
“Hi. You must be Inuyasha's parents.”
 
Kagome turned and saw Sango approaching. Saved again. “Mr. and Mrs. Taisho, this is Sango Mori. She and her husband, Miroku, were close friends of Inuyasha and Kikyou. Sango was their Maid-of-Honor. Sesshoumaru, I don't know if you remember Sango from the wedding.”
 
Sango smiled her comforting, therapist smile as she sympathetically shook their hands. “I am so very sorry for your loss. It is good finally to meet you both. Inuyasha and my husband were very close. Sesshoumaru, it's good to see you again.” She put her arm around Kagome and gave her a little squeeze. “You doing okay?” Kagome nodded, feeling like crying again. “Miroku is getting ready to start the eulogy.”
 
She sniffed. “Thanks, Sango. You're a doll. Rin, honey, go with Sango and take a seat in the front. I'll be right there.” She turned to the Taishos. “I'd be honored if you were to come and sit with me and Rin. And afterward we are all regrouping at the Brownstone Inn. It's a bed and breakfast owned by a friend. It will be a casual lunch, and you are all certainly most welcome. It's on the corner of Fifth and Chestnut, right by Memorial Park.”
 
“Thank you, Miss Higurashi,” Ken Taisho began, “for the invitation, but we plan to leave as soon as the service is finished, and I think we would be more comfortable seated in the back.”
 
Kagome felt mildly insulted. Their refusal to sit with her and Rin stung. It was not as if she particularly desired their company, but she thought the offer to sit as a family, especially for Rin's sake, was a gracious one. “Oh…okay. Well, I'll keep in touch. I know Rin would like to continue to see you. She's rather intrigued with the notion of hearing details of her Daddy's childhood. I'm glad she's getting a chance to finally become acquainted with you. It would make Inuyasha happy to know the bad blood is water under the bridge.” She smiled softly and excused herself.
 
Walking to the front of the room, Kagome looked up and stopped short. There before her was a table, overflowing with all-white floral arrangements—star-gazer lilies, roses, jasmine sprays, and calla lilies. Jak was responsible for the flowers, and he outdid himself; the effect was ethereal. Kagome eyes watered, and she bit her lower lip to keep it from quivering. Surrounded by the white blooms was a large cremation urn that contained their combined ashes, and the black-and-white nude photo she had stared at two days ago. It hit her that all that was left physically of the two beautiful people in the picture was in that bronze vase. The reality of it all crashed down on her so forcefully she felt blindsided and couldn't move. She shook her head slowly and struggled to breathe, swaying with sudden faintness. Rooted to the spot, terrified, she began to break.
 
“Kagome, let me help you.” Firm hands gripped her shoulders, and she looked up to see the identity of her rescuer. Bank.
 
She wept into his chest as he led her to a chair next to Sango. “They're really gone, Bank. I thought I was okay…I don't think I am,” she whispered.
 
“You're doing great, sweetie. Here, sit.”
 
Kagome, now openly crying, obeyed. Rin crawled onto her lap, and the rest of the room saw the small hand reach around her back, patting and rubbing soothing circles.
 
Sesshoumaru recognized the man who escorted Kagome to her seat; he was the owner of the inn she mentioned, an estate planner, and the president of the Memorial Park Neighborhood Association, with which Sesshoumaru frequently collaborated regarding revitalization issues. He didn't realize they knew each other, but they appeared close. He felt a twinge of guilt. He wasn't certain if his father had instructed Kagura to file a petition of guardianship yet, but he knew it was planned. It seemed wrong to split Kagome and Rin apart; there was obviously affection and familiarity between the two, and he seriously doubted his parents' ability to effectively care for a four-year-old. He pushed the guilt aside, reminding himself he was not involved and would not be dragged into it. The sooner he made it back to the office, where he could remain blissfully ignorant of the machinations of his family members, the better.
 
XxXxX
 
The Brownstone Inn was a located in a huge, immaculately restored Romanesque Revival building. It had eight guest rooms, a ballroom, a large dining room, and spacious grounds. It was the most successful bed and breakfast in the area, catering to the well-heeled traveler, and specializing in events, such as weddings and graduations. Most of the mourners who had been at the memorial service were there, munching on canapés and crab cakes and drinking heavily. The mood was considerably lighter than at the funeral home, all attendees fondling remembering their deceased friends.
 
“Well, I know Inuyasha never really liked me, but we seemed to have found some common ground over the years, so here's to Inuyasha!” Kouga lifted his beer bottle high in the air. Everyone followed and drank deeply. “To Yahsa!” they agreed.
 
“The reason he didn't like you was because Kikyou wanted to set us up on a blind date,” Kagome reminisced happily. “Don't take it personally. He was a little protective of me back in those days.”
 
“What made him change his mind?” Kouga asked seriously. “I always wondered.”
 
“Do you remember the names he used to call you? That Stinkin' Hippie, Long-Haired Freak, Fuckin' Dead Head, Unbathed-Patchouli-Wearing—”
 
“Shit, Kagome!” Kouga interrupted. “I get the picture. Thanks for reminding me.”
 
“Well anyway,” Kagome continued, ignoring him, “Kikyou and I thought it was extremely hypocritical of him to make fun of you to your face, then smoke your pot. So we told him he had to be nice, or no more Kouga-Weed.”
 
“So that was the catalyst? You threatened to cut him off?”
 
“Yeah, but by then we weren't going out at all, and I think he was starting to believe you were an okay guy, for a Fuckin' Flower Child,” Kagome laughed, then came to her senses. “Shit, where's Rin? She better not have heard a word of this.”
 
“She's outside playing with the other kids,” Jak said. “And has anyone ever seen such an angelic child? When she patted your back, Kagome, I thought I was going to lose it. Well it was only a temporary reprieve. Did everyone hear me bawling during the eulogy? Miroku, you should be writing soap operas.”
 
“Soap operas? I didn't think I was that maudlin,” Miroku said, ego bruised slightly.
 
“It was a compliment, dumbass,” Jak said dryly.
 
Kagome burst out laughing. “Jak thinks All My Children and One Life To Live are deserving of Pulitzers.”
 
Jak stood in mock outrage. “Philistines, all of you,” he accused, then added sweetly, “Does anyone need anything from the kitchen?” He rolled his eyes at the many requests.
 
“I'll help, Jak,” Kagome said, getting up.
 
As Kagome opened a bottle of Chardonnay and Jak poured iced tea, he observed gently, “You seem a lot better now.”
 
“I really am. My disintegration during the eulogy was very cathartic. I feel cleansed. Still sad, but manageable.”
 
Jak reached over and gave her hand a light squeeze. “Glad to hear it, sweetie. So…thanks for the warning about Sesshoumaru. You'll be proud to know I didn't even drool. Much.”
 
Kagome laughed gratefully. “God, speaking of drool, I need to go let out Oberon. Would I be missed if I disappeared for a half an hour?”
 
“I'll cover for you. Why don't you just bring him back here? He can play in the backyard with the kids. Actually Bank and I were waiting for people to leave until we asked you, but how would you and Rin like to spend the night here tonight? You can get out of that apartment…hang out with friends. We'll pick up some sushi and watch Sound of Music or something. You can sleep in the bridal suite. Rin can take a bath in the whirlpool.”
 
Kagome got teary-eyed again. “Jak, that sounds perfect. Thank you,” she said embracing him. “I don't deserve you.”
 
“Silly, of course you do,” Bank retorted as he walked into the kitchen. “Kagome, if it weren't for you, Jak and I would not be together. I would be a lonely, cynical queer, wondering why I let the best guy in my life get away.”
 
“Hell, Kagome, if it weren't for you, I'd still be giving blow jobs for ten bucks in the men's restroom. Honey, I'd probably be dead if it weren't for you. Now go pick up your dog. Bring his food, your toothbrushes, pajamas, and we'll have a slumber party tonight.”
 
As Kagome walked the four blocks to her apartment, she felt like the luckiest person alive. True, her parents were dead, as were her sister and brother-in-law, but she had incredible friends and the world's sweetest little girl in her life. She even felt happy with the way things were progressing with the Taishos. She had a disturbing track record so far of putting her foot in her mouth around them, but it was because she was a little intimidated and just wanted to get along with them so Rin could have other family in her life. She was sure as they got used to each other, things would be fine.
 
She let the dog out to urinate and threw some overnight things in a back pack. Filling a plastic bag with dog food and grabbing the leash, she was ready in only a few minutes. The unmistakable sound of Oberon barking a warning spurred her to run downstairs, and she saw a man walking carefully to her door.
 
“Can you call off your dog?” Kagome quieted Oberon by putting her hand on his back. “Kagome Higurashi?”
 
“Yes,” Kagome said slowly.
 
The man reached into his jacket and pulled out a fat envelope, stretching to hand it to her, not getting close to the dog. Kagome took it, but before she could ask any questions, he was gone.
 
She locked the door, leashed the dog, and opened the envelope as she walked down the sidewalk toward Bank and Jak's. She stopped and stared at the first page. Petition for Appointment of Guardianship/Conservatorship for Minor. But where she was expecting to see her name in the blank for Petitioner, it read Ken and Rose Taisho. The next page was headed Application for Appointment as Guardian/Conservator for Minor. Again the applicants listed were Ken and Rose Taisho, not her. She glanced down the page. At the bottom it said Waiver of Notice and Request for Appointment of Guardian. Sesshoumaru's name was signed in neat, elegant script. She turned to the next page. It was a letter written in legalese, which Kagome was able to parse and understood that they wanted her to withdraw her application and petition and add her signature to Sesshoumaru's, waiving her standing as a petitioner. Whatever that meant. The next two pages were signed affidavits, one by Mr. Taisho, one by his wife, both describing why they should be appointed guardians of Rin and the myriad reasons Kagome was unfit. The words best interest of the child, income, unsustainable, potential drug and/or alcohol abuse, mental fitness, and thorough psychological evaluation leaped off the page and buzzed in her brain. She felt sick, but managed to sprint to the inn.
 
She burst through the door, shocking the few remaining mourners cum revelers into silence. “Where's Miroku?” she demanded. “Where's Rin?”
 
Miroku ran into the entry hall from the area of the dining room. “Kagome, what's wrong? Rin's in the backyard.”
 
Kagome unclipped the leash. “HOLYFUCKINGSHIT!” She took a deep breath. “Someone take the dog to play outside. Miroku,” she started to cry. “I need help.”
 
She was led into the dining room and forced into a chair as Miroku pried the contents of the envelope from Kagome's fist. He perused the contents of the pages with increasing agitation. This was an unexpected development.
 
“Kagome,” he began evenly, “the Taishos are asking for guardianship of Rin. It's okay.”
 
“WHAT! How is this okay?”
 
What a nightmare, Miroku thought. “It's unforeseen, but not the end of the world. There will be hearings, probably experts appointed by the court, but the judge will determine what is in the child's best interest, and, though money isn't nothing, continuity, familiarity, stability count for more.”
 
“Jesus Jumping Christ! Whaddaya mean? Of course money is everything! Judges here are elected! The Taishos have more money than fucking god. They own all the judges!”
 
“Kagome,” Miroku said, “I know lots of people think that, but the system works pretty well, most of the time.”
 
Pretty well? Most of the time? It's not good enough! Can we check to see which judges received campaign contributions from the Taishos?”
 
Miroku hung his head. She would be a problematic client at best. “You don't shoot at the king, unless you know you can kill. Judges typically don't look favorably on petitioners whose first move is to accuse them of partiality and wrongdoing. Let the system work. In my experience nine times out of ten the judge will rule in favor of the petitioner who can provide the most stability.”
 
“Oh god, I'm gonna puke,” Kagome moaned. “I can't lose Rin. We need each other. The Taishos…holy shit…they can't…fuck.” She started crying frantically again.
 
Sango handed Kagome a tissue. “Honey, it's okay. I've dealt with tons of custody and dependency actions. No judge would take Rin away from you.” She glanced at her husband for support, but he was strangely noncommittal.
 
“Kagome, I wish I could give you a one hundred percent guarantee, but I would be malpracticing to do so. Nothing is guaranteed. But you've got a good case. The problem is the other side's lawyer. This will be expensive.”
 
Kagome looked up. “Motherfucker. I don't have money Miroku. I can't pay anything.” Her hysteria was slowly being replaced by despondency.
 
“I won't charge anything more than I need to. But Kagome, I need to tell you, their lawyer, Kagura Hideoshi, is a piece of work.”
 
“Please elaborate.”
 
“I know we work in an adversarial system, but most lawyers try to get along. Kagura, I mostly know her by reputation, doesn't really abide by that philosophy. Hers is more a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners ethos.”
 
“Shit,” was all she could say.
 
“Kagome, just mind your Ps and Qs. They will use any excuse to call Child Protective Services on you. And honestly the last thing you want is CPS social weirdoes swooping down, pronouncing moral judgment. Do NOT put one toe out of line. I mean it. Do not call the Taishos. Make NO attempt to contact them.”
 
Kagome just sobbed into her tissue while simultaneously ripping it to shreds. “What should I do for now?”
 
“Just continue to care for Rin, do not call them, and trust me. It'll be okay. And don't call me four or five or six times a day, asking how the case is going. The legal wheels turn slowly. Throw away your John Grisham novels. Things are usually slow and boring. Most days nothing will happen; I will call you when it does. I had a nightmare client recently who called constantly. He drove me crazy. He literally once called to see what was happening, and nothing was, of course, so the man told me what color his underwear was. I will call you if you need to know anything.”
 
Kagome straightened, annoyed. “Well I don't wear underwear normally, so you needn't worry yourself about me bothering you in that respect, but Miroku, if you think that I'm just going to let this roll by, you're wrong.”
 
Miroku filed the underwear comment away for future use; his alarms bells were ringing loudly in his ears. If Kagome were anyone other than a close friend in dire straits, he would decline to get involved, but Sango would never forgive him; hell he wouldn't forgive himself. “I understand. I will represent you, Kagome, but let me represent you. Just be patient.”
 
“Wait a second,” Jak interjected, “don't Inuyasha and Kikyou have some money that Kagome could use to help pay her legal fees? I mean shit, Kikyou was a rock star for godsake.”
 
“Any money from that estate would not be accessible until the guardianship issues are worked out,” Miroku replied wearily.
 
“They didn't have anything anyway,” Kagome said in resignation. “Arrow was signed to an independent label. They were critical darlings, but their albums didn't make the kind of money you'd associate with `rock stars'. All their real income came from touring, which they didn't do that much of, because Kikyou didn't want to leave Rin for weeks on end. All the money they made went to pay off student loans and equipment loans, then once those were done, all their money went into the production of their latest album. It was expensive as shit to make because they produced most of it themselves, and they were planning on recouping the cost touring this summer. Well, we all know that's not going to happen. Inuyasha's business, music promotion, has no assets. It was all contacts he'd made over the years. Nothing one could put a price tag to. Basically when they died, they'd broke even.” She felt beyond tired. Rin was visible through the rear window, swinging happily, dog at her feet keeping watch.
 
“Fuck, the whole time the past two days…well, things weren't perfect, but I thought there was common ground. I'm so goddamn stupid. I fucking asked them to sit with us; I invited them over here. The entire time they were planning this BULLSHIT.”
 
“Kagome,” Miroku said, “don't blame yourself. It's what they want you to do. I can tell by the envelope, they had it delivered by special bailiff. They didn't need to. These affidavits, it's all meant to intimidate you; it's over the top. They want you to sign the waiver. They want you to just cave.”
 
She was suddenly angry. “Well, fuck that noise,” she said. “If it's a fight they want, it's a fight they'll get.” Jak and Bank grinned at each other. “They just don't know what kind of enemy they've taken on.” She blew her nose and stood up. “I'll sign that paper when hell freezes over.”
 
Rin and Oberon walked into the dining room. The little girl noticed the tension, but especially apparent was the near absence of grey around her aunt. Now it was almost all red. “Kagome, are you okay?” she asked cautiously.
 
Kagome tousled the child's hair and said, “Honey, I'm more okay than I've been in a while. The more important question is, how are you?”
 
“I'm okay. Jak said we could stay here and take a bath with lots of bubbles.”
 
“If that's what you'd like, I'm all for it.”
 
“I'd love a group bubble bath,” Miroku enthused, back to his lecherous self. Sango elbowed him in the ribs.
 
“Oh come on Sango, you're such a party pooper!” Jak protested.
 
Rin and Kagome giggled and looked at each other conspiratorially and giggled. “He said `poop'.”
 
&&&
 
I do not own Inuyasha, neither plots nor characters. Nor am I affiliated with the Sound of Music, All My Children, One Life to Live, or the Modest Mouse album entitled Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Thanks for reading!