InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the Shadows ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: Two chapters in the same day? Wow, it's a miracle!!009)

Chapter Three

Inuyasha pulled into the parking lot of a large, stone building with a yellow neon sign in the front the read 'K&M Motor Repair'. He took off his sunglasses and stared at the building. Why had Kagome wanted her to meet him here? He took out the small piece of paper from his jacket pocket and recheck the address. It was the right place. He sighed and walked through the glass doors.

Inside there was a large room that was floored with white tile stained with muddy sneaker prints. In one corner there was a group of armchairs centered around a small TV and a coffee table with outdated magazines that nobody ever read. In another corner there was a white receptionist desk with an older model computer and a couple of appointment and address books. The entire room was deserted.

Kind of odd for a business, Inuyasha thought as he walked up to the desk. The screen of the computer was turned so it faced the customer. Taped on it was a sign that read, 'Service is provided in the back work area.'.

"That's a new one," he said as he walked down the hallway. He could hear rock music blaring from within the building. When he reached the work area he stopped, leaned aganist the doorway, and grinned.

The room looked to be about the size of a football field and was covered in wall to wall concrete flooring and the walls were painted white. Five single car garage doors took up the longer wall and were all open to let the sunlight pour through. There were also skylights carved into the ceiling so the entire room was bright. On one of the work tables was a large stereo that blasted the music. But that wasn't what made him smile.

Miroku was there, under the hood of a 1985 Ford Tarus that had a bashed in fender and chipping paint. He was dressed in dark, baggy, mechanics jeans with two wrenches in his side pocket and a towel around one of his belt loops. He also had a black T-shirt that showed off his muscles. Kagome was dancing to her work table, her eyes closed, using a wrench as a microphone as she sang along with the words. She was wearing baggy, camouflage, cargo pants, and a white shirt with the sleeves cut off and a hood it the back. Her arms and face were covered with black oil marks from working.

She grabbed a small sized wrench and walked back to a silver, Dodge pick up truck that was streaked with black along the sides of the cabin and the cargo hold. She spent five minutes working under the hood, before finally slamming the door down and leaping to sit on top of it. She set the wrench down beside her, crossed her arms, and shot a superior look to Miroku.

"See, I told you I didn't need any help fixing it," she said as she patted the hood of the car. Miroku rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you little drama queen." he muttered and returned his attention to his car. Just then the truck made a strange boom sound. Kagome looked down at the lid she was sitting on and raised an eyebrow. Miroku looked up with curiosity and walked over. The sound came again and Kagome grimaced as she felt the lid start to shake. She quickly jumped off the hood and grabbed Miroku's arm.

"Hit the deck!!" she cried and she covered her head as the lid flew back open under the pressure causing the wrench that had been resting to soar into the air. The engine was sputtering and smoking. The wrench then dropped back to the ground and landed directly on the toe of Kagome's sneaker. She yelped and then hopped up and down holding her injured foot in her hands. Miroku was laughing hysterically.

"I told you to buy some boots," he said.

"Shut up. Ow, ow, ow...." she hissed. When Miroku finally did stop laughing they were both surprised to hear that someone else still was. Kagome looked over to the door and saw Inuyasha leaning in the doorway. She immediately felt very embarrassed as she looked back over to her offending vehicle.

"Heh, heh. Just how much of that did you see?" she asked sheepishly.

"Enough," Inuyasha chuckled as he entered the room. "So is this the pick up that I heard about earlier today."

"Unfortunately, I swear this thing is out to kill me." Kagome mumbled as she wiggled her sore toes.

"Best mechanic in town and she can't even fix her own damn car," Miroku said from under his car's hood. That's when something in Inuyasha's head clicked. K&M, Kagome and Miroku.

"So you own this place?" Inuyasha asked as Kagome fanned the smoke away with her hands.

"Uh, sort of. We own this building but Myouga is our manager. He takes care of all the financials and crap like that. But I swear we're going to need to find a new mechanic soon, we're getting more customers by the day and it's getting to a point when me and Miroku can't keep up." she sighed.

"Well...I'm a mechanic. I've been looking for a job for a couple weeks now." Inuyasha said as he retrieved the fallen wrench. Kagome looked at him.

"Really? Okay, you're hired. I'll call Myouga and tell him about it tomorrow. That is if you want the job." she said.

"Yeah, that'd be great."

"Cool, now Mr. I Know Everything About Nothing," she said turning towards Miroku. "I need to borrow your SUV so I can help Inuyasha move in. So give me your keys." Miroku sighed and pulled them out of his pocket. She smiled and walked out towards the open garage door with Inuyasha.

"And don't even think about touching my baby!!"

Kagome opened to door of the apartment and turned on the lights before setting a large, cardboard box on the kitchen counter. Inuyasha came in and froze, eyes wide.

"Wow.." he whispered. When Kagome wasn't lying when she said the apartment was a nice place. The floor was covered in soft, white carpet that went throughout the living room and into both bedrooms. The kitchen had white tile and the walls were a light almost white blue. There was a big screen TV on one of the walls of the living room, the walls were painted white and there were two leather arm chairs and a large leather couch.

There was a washer and dryer next to the kitchen hidden by long, white shutters and next to that was a coat closet. There was a sky light in the kitchen and a sliding window door that lead to a balcony. All in all the entire apartment was very bright and homey.

Each of the bedrooms had a bathroom. Kagome's room was painted the same as the kitchen and she had white drapes. Her dresser and night stand were a light brown wood and her bedspread was also light blue. Inuyasha's room was painted white and there was identical furniture and a mattress.

"You can paint the room whatever color you want." Kagome commented as he looked around. "Split in half the rent is 150, is that all right."

"Yeah, that's fine." Kagome smiled and nodded.

"Well, I let you start unpacking and I'll go get the other box." Inuyasha didn't have a lot of things to bring with him. Just his clothes and a few personal items. Kagome said she had extra sheets and stuff and the apartment was already furnished. He started putting clothes in his dresser and in the walk in closet. A few minutes later Kagome was back and laid the final box on his bed.

"Hey, Kagome." he said.

"Uh huh?" Inuyasha looked down at the floor, slightly uncomfortable. The two barely knew each other and they were already roomates.

"Thanks, for you know, letting me move in with you and stuff." Kagome smirked and leaned against the doorway.

"I already told you it wasn't a big deal. Come on, Inuyasha. We're friends aren't we?" she replied. Inuyasha looked up and got a warm feeling in his chest as he met her kind gaze. He nodded

"Good, I think you're a nice guy Inuyasha. I was hoping we were friends. Anyway, I gotta go return Miroku's car, I'll be back in about half and hour. 'Kay?" she said as she headed towards the door.

"All right." She waved and left. As soon as the car was out of sight he flopped down on the bed and sighed. He still couldn't believe how much his life had changed for the better. First he sees the girl of his dreams in local club, then he finds out she goes to his school, and now he was living with her and they were friends. The only thing he needed to do now was get that relationship to go further.

He quickly unpacked the rest of things and fell asleep on the couch, dreaming of Kagome, his Demonic angel.

(A/N: I know once again, another story where the relationship gets totally rushed but not anything like Surviving High School. This will go slower. Anyway this only a fraction of the real story. Everything will fall into place. Promise. 009)