InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Danger in the Shadows ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: Yes!! Someone agrees with me!! I am insane for writing four stories at once. Get myself all mix-ded up. Watch I'm going to start putting ranch horses and pirate ships. GAH!! Oh well, it's still fun.

Strawberrie Bunny- No I don't really listen to Evanescence. But just for you I will have them sing "Bring Me to Life"(is that even the right name) when Inuyasha joins the band. But only because I like you. And that song is pretty awesome anyway. 009)

Chapter Four

It was nearly one in the morning before Kagome returned to the apartment. She had gone back to the shop where she had left Miroku and returned his car. It was only after he had left when she realized that she had no ride home. So for the past three hours, Kagome had been stuck at the garage and after many dangerous procedures, finally worked his temperamental truck into submission. It ran beautifully. Take that Miroku!!

Kagome grimaced as she unlocked the door and stepped inside. Inuyasha would have expected her back two and a half hours ago, and if he was anything like Sango he would skin her alive for not calling or anything. But when she wandered into the living room, she just grinned.

Inuyasha was asleep on the couch, one foot resting on the floor, the other dangling over the armrest. She pulled out one of the extra blankets out of the linen closest and draped it over his body, just below his shoulders. He stirred and mumbling something incoherent. Before she could stop herself, she giggled softly. She froze when he stirred once again, but then relaxed.

Kagome shook her head and moved to leave before she made anymore disturbance. Suddenly, Inuyasha had grabbed her around the waist and pulled her down on top of his chest. At first, Kagome acted instinctively. She exhaled and forced herself not to breath as her left hand clenched into a tight fist and her other hand flew to the side of her belt. A few seconds later, she relaxed and nearly laughed at her behavior. She looked up into his calm face and was surprised to see a small smile on his lips.

Wow, she thought. He really is kind of cute....Whoa, wait a minute Kag. Don't go there. Definitely do not go there. You're not allowed to get in a relationship with anyone, no way no how. She sighed and gently pulled his arms off her waist so she wouldn't wake him up and get caught in an embarrassing situation.

Little Kagome know, but Inuyasha had been wide awake ever since she had closed the front door. He had no idea why he pulled her into his arms. Perhaps it was just to see how she would react, and he had been so ecstatic when she relaxed into his hold that he almost blew his cover. However, he had managed to tone it down to small grin.

But something was troubling him as he listened to her move quietly throughout the apartment. Her first reaction to his actions, it wasn't that of a person who was nervous or surprised. It almost was like she felt... endangered or something along those lines. Sure, they had barely known each other for a day, but still. She knew that he would never hurt her. Why had she acted like that, and why did she always put her right hand to her hip? She had been that way early with Sango. He wasn't sure, and he was going to find out.

Kagome had quickly gone into her room and reappeared dressed in black shorts and a gray, light, long-sleeved shirt that said Western University in navy blue writing and Chicago underneath that. She opened the balcony door and stood outside for a few minutes. She then walked back inside and took out a small digital alarm clock.

"It's about fifty degrees and the lake road is five miles." she mumbled softly to herself as she returned the balcony. She sat down on one of the chairs and started pressing timer buttons. Inuyasha opened his eyes and watched her quietly. Kagome set the timer for fifteen minutes, stood up, and stretched quickly.

Then she started the timer and jumped over the balcony banister. Inuyasha panicked and shot up off the couch towards the balcony. He relaxed when he saw her climbing down an emergency fire staircase and running towards a small path that ran around the lake that was just behind the apartment building. He then glanced at the small clock she had set and looked at the size of the lake.

"There is no way that she can run five miles in fifteen minutes." Inuyasha said. He knew he could probably do it, but that was because he was a half demon. He had that unnatural kind of speed. Kagome was just a human girl, what was she thinking. He spotted her form on the track and his jaw dropped.

She was sprinting at an unbelievably fast pace, probably as fast as he could run. Five minutes passed and she was nearly halfway around the course, it was incredible. He was stunned to find that she wasn't breathing hard, or slowing down, or even breaking a sweat. It was almost like she had been trained to know just how fast and long she could run in any type of weather. Kagome was becoming more and more complicating by the second.

When she got close, Inuyasha raced back to the couch where she had left him. The clock reached five seconds. Kagome gracefully climbed back up to the balcony and pushed the clear button just as the numbers read one. She hardly looked any different from when she left. Her hair was a little messy but other than that she looked just fine.

Kagome yawned, stretched her arms, and then closed the balcony door before going to bed. As soon as he heard the door shut, Inuyasha opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. The more he was around Kagome, the more he wanted to find out everything about her. She was so...different. Most of the time she was kind, social, and was just a great person to have around. And at other times she was silent, mysterious, and serious. It almost came to a point when she could seem lethal if you rubbed her the wrong way. He definitely needed to find out more about his roomate. After he got some sleep that is.


Inuyasha was sitting by the hospital bed, tears threatening to pour from his eyes as he held his dying mother's hand. She had been diagnosed with cancer around the spine and the treatments had done nothing but prolong her pain. After a while she had asked doctors to abandon all ideas of therapy all together and just allow her to wait for the inevitable. Now the cancer had stolen her ability to walk and it made sitting in a wheelchair unbearably painful. She was confined to the hospital bed for the rest of her days.

"Inuyasha," she said softly. Inuyasha was practically hysterical. He was only fifteen years old and not ready to see his mother die. He still needed her. His mother smiled through her pain and touched his cheek with her hand.

"Will you promise me something?" she asked. He nodded.

"Of course," his voice was raspy and gruff from the hours of suppressed sobs. She laid her other hand on the worn leather cover of a bible that she had laying beside her on the bed. After her husband had died she had turned to God to help her through her pain, and he had answered. She loved being a Christian, it gave her something to look forward to once she died. She had taught her son the very same love for he was a strong Christian as well.

"Inuyasha, you know that God loves you and that this cancer is all part of his plan. I'm not sad you shouldn't be either. But I want you to promise me that when I'm gone, that you will find yourself a girl that you will love with your entire heart. A nice, Christian, girl who will love you too. I want you to be happy."

"I promise," he whispered.


Inuyasha's eyes shot open and he calmed down immediately once he saw that he was in his bedroom. It wasn't a dream he had just experienced, it was a recurring memory. He had a problem. The more time he spent with Kagome, the more he was sure to fall in love her. And that wasn't a bad thing except for that fact that she might not abide to the promise that he had made to his mother on her death bed. What if she was not a Christian? What would he do then? Try to convert her, what? He didn't know, and he wasn't too sure on how to find out.

He could probably ask her in the morning, but that just sounded way to stupid. His mind was so full of unanswered questions that it became impossible to fall asleep once again. He glanced at the digital clock and saw that it was only two in the morning. But, they didn't have classes until Monday and it was Tuesday, who cares if he didn't get enough sleep.

Inuyasha sighed, rose from the bed and walked towards the kitchen to get a glass of water. On the way he noticed that Kagome bedroom had just a small crack left open and light was spilling through onto the hallway floor. What was she doing up this late? Curiosity got the better of him as he silently crept towards the crack and peered inside.

Kagome was lying on her bed on top of the covers dressed in a light blue tank top a blue, plaid pajama bottoms. The lamp on the night stand was turned on dimly so that it wouldn't be too bright. She was reading a book with a troubled look on her face. The book was covered in black leather that was worn from being used many times. His heart skipped a beat when he recognized it. It was a bible, she was a Christian. He felt like a large weight had been lifted from his shoulders when he made the discovery, he wouldn't have to worry about her not believing in God. His mother would be happy, she would have like Kagome a lot. He grinned, quickly got his glass of water, and went back to his bedroom before the girl noticed his presence.

However, Kagome was having totally different thoughts in her mind. Usually she read her bible at night to find words of encouragement and belonging. But tonight, she was looking for answers. She was looking for a reason.

"There must be something in here," she muttered as she flipped through the pages. Nothing. She sighed, closed the book and fell back on to the pillows, not bothering to turn off the light. Lord knows that she wouldn't be sleeping any time soon. Her thoughts soon turned to the boy who was in the room next to hers.

She couldn't deny, she was falling for him, and she had only known him for about a day. It was crazy but she couldn't get him out of her mind. Whenever she saw him, her heart flutter and she would be filled with this strange emotion that she had become so unfamiliar with. It had been so long. It was scaring her, and nothing scared her.

Kagome knew that if she started to get close to Inuyasha, she would probably fall in love with him, and she couldn't let that happen. It wasn't safe...for either of them. She had been searching the pages of her bible for the past hour, looking for a rule that would prevent her from every falling in love with this man. There was none.

"God," she prayed. "Why do I feel this way? I don't even know him, and yet I feel like I could already spend the rest of my life in his presence. I'm so confused and I don't know what to do." She sighed and closed her eyes. Was this God's plan, to give her someone that she could love, and who could possibly love her back? Certainly not, it wasn't possible. God could not be that merciful towards her, he just couldn't.

"God, please help me to not fall in love with this man. I wouldn't be able to handle another heart break if I lost another person that I care about. I wouldn't survive. Please help me to keep my emotions in check."

(A/N: I know a lot of you think the religion thing is pointless but I think it is a key part of the story. So just bear with me. That's the end of that whole sappy thing for a while. Promise, this story will get better promise. 009)