InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Faith ❯ Purification ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.
Author note: This was originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on April 23, 2012 for oneshot #12 Freedom. It won 2nd place. Like the previous chapter, it has also since been expanded. And I'd like to give a big thank you to AM78 for all of the help provided in bringing this chapter and the previous one to where they are now.
--------------------

Inuyasha came awake with a groan, wondering what had hit him. His eyes shot open upon realizing that he could not move his body and he frantically looked around. His eyes widened at the sight of the bonfire burning directly in front of him. He had seen plenty of those in his life, the kind that were used to burn the remains of youkai. His eyes shifted to the side and he spotted the priest standing in the center of a crowd of men, issuing instructions. He frowned, something about that priest was familiar. He quickly brushed the thought away, he had to get free of whatever was keeping him bound. It was obvious that the villagers had turned on him and Miroku for some reason, he had to get free and find his friend before they ended up in that bonfire!

Unfortunately for him, the priest turned at that moment and spotted that he was awake. He sent the last of the men to their tasks before approaching. “Awake already youkai? You are a strong one. But you are not match for my sutra. Struggle all you like, you won't break free.”

Inuyasha glared at him, wishing he could speak and curse the bastard out.

“You wish to tear my throat out, don't you? I can see it in your eyes. But you will never harm another again, I will see to that. Hopefully that misguided monk has now learned his lesson.” Ungai swept his arm to the side.

Inuyasha flicked his eyes in that direction. They widened upon seeing the unconscious Miroku leaning against a hut.

Ungai shook his head. “I warned him and his companions long ago not to consort with youkai, that they would turn on him. He had to learn his lesson the hard way. Now I must finish the preparations. Do not worry, it will all be over shortly.”

'Bastard!' Inuyasha thought furiously, glaring at the departing priest. He recognized him now. But it was his words about Miroku that really caused him to worry. 'They think I hurt Miroku? Shit, I gotta get free. We gotta get out of here before it's too late.' Unfortunately the priest's words proved all to accurate. The sutra that were restraining him were too powerful, he couldn't move anything other than his eyes.

His eyes flicked back toward Miroku when he heard a groan from that direction. 'Come on bouzu, wake up already! You gotta get us outta of here. Talk some sense into these assholes!' But he was not the only one to notice the awakening monk.

Miroku slowly pushed himself upright, one hand holding his aching head. “Oh, what hit me?”

“I warned you about consorting with youkai. They are beasts that can not be trusted. Have you finally learned this lesson?”

Miroku looked up, frowning as he recognized the priest before him. “I must respectfully disagree with you. Not all youkai are bad. I-” He cut himself off eyes widening as he saw his friend bound with sutra a short distance away. “Inuyasha!” Despite the agony in his head he forced himself to his feet. But before he could stumble more than a few feet his arms were grasped by strong hands, tugging him back. “What are you doing? Let me go! Why is my friend restrained?”

Ungai shook his head sadly. “What spell does it have you under that you would still seek to help it even after it has harmed you?” He turned to the men restraining Miroku. “Restrain him. Hopefully the youkai's spell will be released and his freedom returned once the creature is purified.”

Miroku's eyes widened again. “No! You can't!” He struggled but could not free himself. “He didn't hurt me! He hasn't hurt anyone! You're making a big mistake!” Despite his struggles to get free he soon found himself bound with rope and seated on the ground. He would have a front row seat of what was about to occur. He looked helplessly into Inuyasha's eyes. 'Forgive me my friend, I have failed you.' As he watched the priest approach friend he helplessly flexed his arms, wishing there was something more he could do. Upon feeling a familiar weight against his forearm he suppressed a grin, realizing that all was not lost. 'Hold on Inuyasha.' He began flexing his wrist in a specific way, trying not to call attention to his actions as a small blade popped out of his sleeve. 'Thank you Sango,' he thought, glad his wife had insisted on teaching him some of the Taijiya tricks and equipped him accordingly. He set to work on the rope binding him, praying to Buddha that Inuyasha could hold on long enough.

'Fuck! Now what are we going to do?' Inuyasha had been sure that his smooth talking friend would be able to clear things up. Now it looked like they were both in deep trouble. He briefly closed his eyes as he saw Ungai approaching. 'Kagome, I'm sorry.' Images of his wife and children flashed before his closed eyes before he opened them to glare defiantly at the priest.

Ungai merely looked contemptuously down at him. “I hope you have made you peace with whatever Kami you believe in.” With that he held his hands out in front of him and began to chant.

Despite the sutra restraining him, howls of pain began to escape Inuyasha's throat as the reiki surged over him. Little bolts of reiki shot into him, causing him untold agony as it surrounded him, growing stronger the longer the priest continued to chant. Then the pain vanished.

Miroku winced at the howls of agony coming from his friend as he worked to free himself. But just as the rope gave way the howls ended and the entire village became silent. “No!” he cried, fearing the worst as his eyes frantically sought the slumped form of his friend. All eyes fixated on Inuyasha.

Slowly, Inuyasha pushed himself to his feet, glaring at the priest gaping at him in disbelief. The pain had vanished as had the restraining effects of the sutra and he once again had the freedom to move. One hand rose and snatched the now harmless piece of paper off of his chest, crumpling it and throwing it at the disbelieving priest. He carelessly flicked the now black hair out of his eyes as they remained locked on Ungai, and cracked his knuckles loudly. “Care to try that again?” he growled out. He hated turning human but at least this transformation, unexpected as it was, had freed him. He had never been more glad than he was at that moment to be a hanyou. Had he been full youkai the reiki would have purified him into dust. Thanks to his human blood he had merely turned human, just like that time on Mount Hakurei all those years ago. He shook his head slightly to clear it. 'I forgot all about that, good thing this guy's powers worked the same way as the barrier did.'

“B-but how?” Ungai stuttered in disbelief at the sight before him. That ritual should have destroyed him! Not given him a human appearance! And how did he get free of the sacred sutra?

As the villagers continued to gape at the now human Inuyasha, Miroku slowly made his way to his friend's side. “I'm glad to see you are mostly alright my friend.” He kept a wary eye on the men surrounding them. “But I think it is time for us to leave.”

Ungai snapped out of his shock. “No! You both must die! I don't know what evil this is but I will not allow you to mock the Kami in this way.” He held his staff ready as he motioned for his followers to join him.

“Keh! I've had enough of you.” With that Inuyasha threw a hard punch, knocking the old priest to the ground, unconscious. He smirked, he might not have his hanyou strength at the moment but he was still stronger than most humans. He glared at the rest of the men. “Who's next?”

As the men looked nervously between the two men and their fallen leader, the rain that had been threatening earlier suddenly arrived, coming down in a sudden downpour. Inuyasha and Miroku attempted to use the confusion it created to slip away into the nearby forest. A handful of the nearby men managed to keep their wits about them and thus the two ended up fighting after all.

Inuyasha ducked and swung a fist into one man's gut. “Good thing you managed to free yourself bouzu,” he panted, dodging as another man tried to tackle him. “Don't know if I'd of been able to get to you quickly in this.” He also wasn't sure if he could have handled all ten of the men by himself, not while he was human anyway.

“Well, I'm glad that I wasn't completely useless,” Miroku replied, ducking himself. He frowned at his friend, something was missing. His eyes widened. Where was Tessaiga?! Quickly looking around the area as he continued to dodge his assailants he spotted something on the ground near the pyre and smiled. Dodging a tackle, he turned his evasion into a somersault and snatched up the weapons he had spotted. “Inuyasha!” he called and tossed his friend the sheathed Tessaiga while his other hand held his own Shakujou at the ready.

Inuyasha grinned as he settled his sword into in obi. How had he not realized that the villagers had removed it? 'Shit, would have been even harder to fight our way back in here to reclaim it later,' he thought, unable to understand how he could have forgotten about it in the first place. “Thanks Bouzu,” he called as he continued to fight his way closer to the trees without harming the men too badly. He didn't want to have to kill them unless absolutely necessary. He grabbed the last two men standing in his way and knocked their heads together with a satisfying thunk!

“You are quite welcome,” Miroku replied as he swung his reclaimed staff at one man's feet, knocking him to the ground, before switching his grip and hitting another over the head. Seeing that the way was now clear, the two friends quickly made good their escape into the forest, the rain quickly washing away their tracks and impeding any who attempted to follow. Well used to traveling in such weather, the two kept going until they were far enough away from the village to be sure that they were not pursued.

As they stopped to rest and take shelter under a large tree, Miroku happily noted that Inuyasha's hair was already lightening to it's normal silver. “Well, I'm glad to see that you will have no permanent effects from our experience.”

“Keh.” But he was glad to feel his strength and senses returning. “I'll be glad to get home.”

“I can certainly sympathize. I too, am eager to see my family after that experience.” He put a hand on his friend's shoulder. “I'm sorry I wasn't much help.”“Feh, don't think I didn't notice that you managed to free yourself. I know if I hadn't transformed when I did you would have managed to free me as well. I just didn't need it at that point. Besides you more than made up for it during our escape. ” He shook his head incredulously. “I still can't believe I almost forgot Tessaiga.” Inuyasha sighed. “You know we're gonna have to be more careful from now on in other villages. And we're gonna have to warn Kagome and Sango. Doubt that bastard's gonna give up just cause we got away this time.”

“I know my friend. But we have friends who know us and will help us out.”

Inuyasha snorted. “And you saw how those villagers turned on us.”

Miroku frowned. “Yes, but they didn't really know us other than the few exorcisms we have done there. The people of our village know us and know the good we do. They will stand by us.”“Keh. If you say so bouzu. Now let's get going. I want to get home soon. Er, do me a favor and don't tell Kagome I forgot about Tessaiga?” He gave his friend a sheepish look.

“Only if you promise not to tell Sango about me falling for that youkai's tricks.”

“Deal.”

With that the two began to make their way home, their recent experience weighing heavily on their minds. Still, they were glad to be alive and free to return to their families. They would worry about Ungai another day. For now they just wanted to return to their homes and families.