InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Faith ❯ The Greatest Treasure ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

Author Note: This was originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on May 7, 2012 for Drabble #26 Treasure and won 2nd place. It originally came to 322 words but, while still short, has also been expanded. To read the original version simply go to Inuyasha Fanfiction on Livejournal and search for the entry.

------------------


Upon leaving Kaede's hut Inuyasha and Kagome stopped to retrieve Jomei and Izayoi from Rin and the other village women who volunteered to watch children when their parents were needed elsewhere. The service was usually for those who worked in the fields but almost every family needed it as well at least once or twice. Kagome and Inuyasha were one such case, as just because Inuyasha was away on an exterminating trip didn't mean that Kagome didn't need to perform her miko duties, and it wasn't fair to always ask Sango to watch their children in addition to her own brood. In fact, she had been known to leave her children there as well from time to time.

Despite recent experiences weighing heavily on his mind, Inuyasha couldn't help but smile as his children rushed to him excitedly.

“Papa! Papa!” Jomei yelled excitedly as he hopped up and down, tugging at Inuyasha's hakama. Little Izayoi shocked the adult hanyou by toddling up on wobbly legs right behind her older brother, a wide grin on her face. With a huge and proud grin, Inuyasha knelt and gathered the two children into his arms, holding them tight to his chest.

Kagome watched, a small smile playing across her own lips at the scene, from where she had been thanking Rin and the other women. She shook her head in amazement as Rin brushed off her thanks before heading to one of the other children. 'That girl will make a wonderful mother someday,' she mused. Rin just loved volunteering to watch the children, she had such a way with them, perhaps because she wasn't that much older herself. Kagome finished thanking the other women, then moved to join the rest of her family.

Inuyasha was just standing up, a child in each arm, when he felt Kagome come up behind him and rest  her hand on his shoulder. He turned his head slightly to offer a small smile, then, with his children still in his arms and his wife beside him, he headed home. They spent the rest of the day simply basking in their family as Jomei rambled on and on about what he'd been up to, and badgered his father with questions about his trip.

Later, after the children were asleep in their beds, he found himself standing there, just gazing at them. They were his reason for living, the reason he was still alive. His greatest treasure. The thought of them and Kagome waiting for him was why he fought so hard to get free. He had to return to them.

Kagome came up beside him and rested her head on his arm. “They look so peaceful when they sleep, not a care in the world.”

Inuyasha stiffened slightly as he thought about how that peace wouldn't last. Danger would be coming, and soon. He had seen others like Ungai before, he wouldn't rest until he found him again. His children would be threatened. He couldn't allow that, he had to protect them.

Kagome sensed where his thoughts had gone and rubbed his arm before wrapping her arms around his waist. “They'll be fine, everything will be alright. You'll protect us and the villagers will stand with us. You'll see.”

Inuyasha sighed, pushing his thoughts and worries away for the moment and placed a kiss on her head. “Come on,” he said as he led her to their futon. “Let's go to bed.” He had other plans than sleep in mind however, and spent a good portion of the night reaffirming his love and presence to his wife, while reassuring himself that she was still with him as well. His last thought before falling into an exhausted sleep, 'I'm so glad to be home. I'll treasure this time with my family, always.'