InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Faith ❯ Preparing For Battle ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

Author Note: This was originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on May 7, 2012 for Drabble #25 Armed and won 1st place. It originally came in at 370 words but, while still short, has been expanded.

----------------


It was nearly a week after Inuyasha and Miroku's return when the alarm was raised in their village. The sentries had spotted a large group of men heading in their direction, armed with various weapons and appeared to be led by a priest.

The villagers began making there preparations, the able-bodied men gathering with there weapons at the edge of the village while the women began to lead those unable to fight off into several of the larger reinforced buildings.

Inuyasha exchanged a grim look with Miroku before moving toward where the village men were gathering. He received nods of acknowledgment and greeting from most of the men. None seemed to blame him for the fact that their peaceful lives were about to be disturbed or that violence threatened their homes. He returned their nods, then leaped up onto one of the nearby roofs, his keen eyes taking in the large group of armed men heading this way. He could clearly see Ungai leading them. It seemed that Ungai had discovered which village they came from and brought all of his followers with him.

Movement caught his eye and he turned to see Kagome handing the children off to Rin and some of the women who were already ushering other children away. “Kagome,” he started as he leaped down from his vantage point.

“Don't,” she told him, eyes flashing as she adjusted her quiver on her back and grabbed her bow. “This is my home too, I have the right to defend it and my family. And hopefully it won't come to that.”

He opened his mouth to continue but stopped, his eyes widening in surprise at the sight of Sango in her Taijiya armor holding Hiraikotsu approaching. She hadn't worn it since before the twins were born. He saw the resigned look on Miroku's face and decided to keep his mouth shut. Kagome was right, this was their home as well and they had a right to fight for it as well. He'd just have to keep an extra careful watch, they weren't used to fighting humans.

Just the same he moved over to Miroku. “Couldn't keep her away either, huh?”

Miroku shrugged. “I notice that you had as much luck as I in keeping your wife away from this confrontation. Let's face it, we both married strong woman who are willing to fight for what they believe in, even against their husbands.”

“Feh.” But his gaze softened as he looked at Kagome, standing and speaking with Sango. “Still, you should keep an extra close eye on Sango. Don't know if she realizes it yet, but it's not just her life at stake.”

Miroku's eyes widened at the warning. “Thank you my friend, I shall be sure to stick close by. I doubt even telling her that would be enough to keep her away from this battle though.”

Inuyasha grunted his agreement and moved back to his wife's side, watching Sango give Miroku a suspicious glance at his close proximity. Kagome also noticed and gave him a questioning look which he ignored. She might have said something but just then Kaede joined them.

“Good, you are all here. I think it is safe to assume that the men approaching are led by the priest, Ungai-sama, that you told us about.” Inuyasha snorted but didn't say anything at this statement and the old miko continued, her face grave. “The men are arming themselves to defend our village and our friends,” she said with a glance at Inuyasha. “Hopefully this Ungai-sama can be reasoned with and this will end peacefully, but if not then we will stand by your side.”

Kagome reached out and squeezed Inuyasha's hand. He was touched at the sentiment behind Kaede's words and could clearly see the same sentiment in the determined faces of the men gathered there. He nodded. “Then let's get ready. Priest or no priest, they're not gonna take our home from us.”