InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Faith ❯ Confrontation ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

Author Note: This was originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on May 7, 2012 for Oneshot #13 Companions and won 2nd place. It originally came in at 651 words but has since been expanded slightly.

Author's note: Sorry in advance for the cliffhanger. But the next part just seemed to fit another prompt that I was going to participate in so I decided to cut it here. Also, sorry if I butchered Ungai's character here. It has been so long since I saw the episode he was in and though I held off posting this because I wanted to rewatch it in order to adjust it, I just never got a chance to do so.

------------------

Inuyasha folded his arms over his chest, hands tucked into his sleeves and glared at Ungai as the priest came into sight of the waiting villagers. Around him his companions shifted nervously, makeshift weapons held loosely in their hands. He could tell that they didn't want to fight other humans but would if necessary to protect their homes and their friends. He was touched that they would go to that length for him, he had been certain that when push came to shove they would demand that he and his family leave rather than bring trouble down upon them.

Ungai paused a short distance away from the gathered villagers, holding his arm up to halt his followers. He stared in disgust at Inuyasha before turning to the villagers. “Have you come to your senses yet? I can see your weapons, there is no need to fight. Simply turn over the monster to be destroyed.” He was shocked by the glares they sent his way at his words. Did the youkai have them in his thrall? Surely they didn't want him to remain among them.

Kagome glared at the priest and placed a calming hand on Inuyasha's arm as Kaede stepped forward. “This is our village. Who are you to demand that we turn over one of our own? He has done no harm to you.” She fixed him with a stern gaze, a steely look in her one eye.

Ungai was taken aback by this declaration. “You are a miko. How can you harbor a youkai and claim it as one of your own? He is an abomination, the Kami have ordained that those like him must be destroyed!”

Kagome couldn't hold her tongue any longer. “He is a good man! Not a monster! The only monster I see here is you for wanting to kill him!”

Inuyasha winced. Why did she have to go and draw attention to herself? “Kagome,” he murmured quietly as he tried to shift her behind him. But she wouldn't allow him to do so, knocking his hands away and remaining proudly at his side as she glared at those who threatened their peaceful lives.

Ungai's eyes traveled to her at her outburst. He stared. This was the same girl from all those years ago, the one who had been dressed so scandalously. It was not the fact that she was still with the youkai that shocked him, other than the fact that she was still alive. No, it was her clothing that shocked him. Gone was the indecently short skirt. In its place was the clothing of a miko. “What sacrilege is this?! How dare you dishonor the honorable position of miko! This is an outrage against the Kami themselves!”

Inuyasha growled, his ears flattening against his head. “Don't talk about her like that!” He finally managed to shift Kagome completely behind him as  he clenched his hands into fists, fingers cracking from the force.

Ungai's eyes widened before narrowing in anger and disgust as he saw how close they were standing together, as well as his efforts to shield her with his own body. “Demon's whore!” His gaze swept over the villagers gathered around them. In his mind a youkai should be killed, it shouldn't have any companions. Bad enough that they would stand with the youkai but to accept this! “How can you allow a youkai and its whore in your midst?! Especially one that dares insult the Kami by dressing in the clothing of their faithful servants while consorting with abominations!”

Inuyasha snarled, barely holding himself back from attacking the priest. His companions, also angry at the vile words, and sensing his control slipping, nervously tightened their grips on their weapons as they tensed, preparing for a battle that was seeming more and more likely.

Kaede sighed, knowing that words had failed. It seemed that they would have to fight after all, there would be no peaceful, diplomatic solution. Not after seeing just how bigoted and ignorant Ungai appeared to be. He was too set in his ways, and especially in his belief that he was right, to listen to anything they had to say.

But as both sides prepared themselves for a fight that seemed inevitable, a small voice cut through the air, claiming the attention of all gathered there.