InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Faith ❯ Fear and Curiosity ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

Author Note: This was originally posted to Issekiwa on May 10, 2012 for Prompt #149 Peek or Peak and won 3rd place. It originally came in at 249 word. While still very short, this has also been expanded.

-----------------


Jomei frowned as he looked around the hut he and the other children had been brought to. He couldn't understand why all of the adults were looking so tense or why his parents hadn't come with them. He wasn't the only one confused, most of the other children were upset and scared.

Several women whispered in worried tones and his ears perked up, trying to catch what they were saying. One woman noticed his attention and gestured at the others to quiet. He sighed, allowing his ears to droop and moved away from them. The scent of fear in the hut was making him nervous. He wrinkled his nose at it before moving closer to Rin who was busy holding and trying to calm a fussing Izayoi. “What's going on?” he asked tugging on her kimono. “Where's Mama and Papa?”“It's okay Jomei-chan,” she said distractedly as Izayoi began to howl, her nose also detecting the fear in the hut and not understanding it any better than he did. Unable to understand, she did the only thing she could.

“Mama! Papa!” she shrieked, causing several of the other children to also begin to cry as the level of fear increased drastically. This only caused the toddler to scream even louder and Rin had no choice but to focus all of her attention on calming the little girl down while the other women saw to the other children.

Jomei winced at her shrieks, his ears flattening against his head as he moved away from the sound. He found himself near the door and his ears twitched at the sound of yelling in the distance. He glanced around the hut and saw nobody was paying him any attention, too caught up in the commotion occurring inside the hut to notice one outside. His curiosity peaked, he decided it wouldn't hurt to take a little peek at what was happening outside and quickly exited the hut.

Once outside he breathed a sigh of relief, glad to be free of the overwhelming scent of fear. He began to move toward the edge of the village where he could here a large number of people, and where he remembered seeing his Papa head to before he was sent off with the women and children. Creeping closer to the voices he had heard he stopped behind one of the last huts before peering around it. His eyes immediately located his parents among the other villagers before his attention drifted to the strangers near them. Anger filled him as the stranger's words reached him and he leaped from his hiding place with a yell.