InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dared to Look ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dare to Look - Teaser

I dared a glance, eyes automatically seeking out his lean figure amidst the crowd, before shifting my gaze back to the more appropriate view of the young man seated to my left.

I knew he was the better choice, knew it was what my family wanted. This rich-man's son was perfect in every way as the saying goes, in every way but one.

He was not the stranger I had come to steal moments with between third and fourth period. He was not the stranger that waited upon me at the diner I frequented after school.

No, he would never be this other man. This partner in crime, and I knew, knew that I would have to do something soon or I would loose the one I longed for most.

You see, he isn't a patient man, and most of all, he hates to share what he considers his, and no matter how much I want to deny it. He owns me. Not in the way, I own my clothes, or the money in the bank, but in a way, that is infinitely more binding. His grasp on me is one that it takes more than a little time apart to break, as I feel as if his every action is imprinted upon my mind, you see the rhythm of his heartbeat is so familiar that it might as well be my own.

Yet he was forbidden to me. Forbidden by the rules of a society that claims freedom as it's pledge, but I have never cared much for rules, and so even as I sit here with this supposedly perfect man at my side, listening to the worshiping words of his followers I silently count the minutes until the sun sets and I am free to do as I wish once again.

"Kagome are you ready to go?" my grandpa finally asks three hours after the last speaker spoke, an hour after my entertainment disappeared from sight.

"Yes grandpa" I reply with a smile, standing only to find Mr. wonderful at my side bidding me goodnight. I accept his words, returning his embrace inwardly cringing at the feel of his lips on mine. He isn't who I want, but I smile letting him think I am happy when really all I can think of is later when my darling's lips will cleanse me of his touch.

The ride home is silent, and I find my thoughts drifting, escaping into a world where money does not matter. It is a world in which my stranger and I can be together always not just in fleeting moments where phrases such as classmates, and partners for some project or lab apply, but where the other words, the ones infinitely more special take their place. In my eyes, he is my boyfriend, beloved, promised one.

Yes, promised one, I love the sound of this phrase as it rings round in my head.

At home, I slip up to my room, climbing the stairs to the west wing two at a time. This house of mine, it always amazes him, he who has grown up in rowed suburbia where each house is precisely the same size, and designed the exact same way. Yet buildings have always fascinated him, he has a dream house in his mind that he constantly reshapes.

Alone in the safety of my lair, far from the prying eyes of my parents I relax. Carefully styled hair tumbling from its clasps left free to blow in the breeze as I sit at the window waiting.

I hope he will come.

We had argued the last time I had seen him. He, claiming I was just toying with him, me wondering how he could think such a thing. As always, our arguments ended with him leaving me alone and frightened in my room.

I know he could find someone else, someone who can be with him all the time not just under the cover of darkness.

He is handsome you know, even my friends at school admit this. I know many have tried to seduce him, and yet to no avail.

He tells me I am the only one he wants, and I believe him. How could I not?

"Kagome" his voice washes over me no more than a whisper as he approaches.

I smile, not a false smile, but one of pure joy as my heartbeat patters in my chest.

"You came" I mange to say before his lips descend on mine in the kiss of lovers too long parted. I press myself close to him, and his arms pull me closer as we try to meld ourselves into one being getting as close as clothing allows.

When he pulls away, I can feel the restlessness in him, as his magnetic eyes hold me in place with the depth of the feelings written there in. I have always loved his eyes, golden the colour of the sun shining warmly over the world.

"What is it?" I question, fingers lacing with his as we sit side-by-side on my bed as we have done so many times before.

I watch, as he looks away, eyes closing. I study him, watching as they slip open before sliding over me in a way that causes shivers to run up my spine.

"Inuyasha?" I ask again as he pulls his hand from my grasp to settle it in his lap.

"I can't do this anymore Kagome. I, I love you too much to watch you with him. Do you know how much it hurts?"

I can feel the salty wetness of tears running down my cheeks.

I knew this was coming, or at least I should have known.

"Don't do this," I whisper as I gaze up at him, "please don't"

"It won't work, no matter how we feel. It can't work..."

I just gaze at him knowing he is right. We are like the bird and the fish and each of us has always known this. And I know there is nothing I can say. I am trapped, stuck in a web of society functions, and superficiality. I have it all, the house, the name, the money, the boyfriend... and yet

There is nothing I can say, we both know I have to fulfill an obligation and so I say nothing. No words pass through my lips as he gazes upon my face, strong tanned hands running over my features before his lips find mine.

It is a kiss of death. Painfully sweet in its longing, passionate in desperation.

It is good-bye enacted.

I keep my eyes shut as he pulls away, fingers slowly loosening their hold upon his deliciously thick hair, moving slowly to skim over his neck, his shoulders, and now his arm as he moves further away.

"Inuyasha" his name the only sound as our hands touch, fingers intertwining.

My eyes open, and I force myself to be strong as our gazes meet in silent communication.

He leaves the bed, walking backwards to the window before slowly climbing.

Our gazes never waver as he falls away into the darkness of the night.

Every time we swear it is the last, and yet it never is...

I wonder when I will see him again.