InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dashed Hopes ❯ Near Accident ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Everyone is human in this story and I'm using the eye colors from the manga. This chapter is a bit longer. Enjoy!

.

.

.

.

.

.

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha. Good enough for you suits?!

.

.

.

Dashed Hopes

.

.

.

--- Last Chapter ---

Kagome got up and went in search of the guys and asked if they wanted to go. Sango and Miroku could hear the shouts all the way back to their table. Chuckling they grinned, happy to find a new friend.

--- End of Last Chapter ---

.

.

.

Chapter 2: Near Accident

.

.

.

The new group of friends made their way out of the shelter. It was the beginning of Autumn so the nights were not too hot and not too cool. Just perfect enough for a night out with no jackets.

Miroku walked up to his car looking sheepish. He expected Kagome and her little family to go into shock at the sight of his expensive car.

They didn’t.

The three got into the back seat like it was just any other car. Kagome looked up at their surprised faces and mumbled something about having a green one at home.

Nodding the two friends crawled in up front. Sango recalled the expensive clothes Kagome had shown up in and the car thing made sense.

‘We’re just not used to having women with good money come to the shelter’, she reminded herself. Not that it mattered to her; money wasn’t on her list of what made a good friend.

The boys sat on either side starring out the windows at the passing scenery. They loved riding in cars, always had.

“I always loved this parade,” Miroku said from the driver’s seat.

Sango grinned, “Me too.” She turned to look backwards at Kagome to hear her statement.

“I’ve only gone once, we just moved here last year,” Kagome explained. “But the time we did it was beautiful. All those lights,” she started to stare off into space.

Sango left her to her day dreaming and turned back to the busy streets. So many people lived in Tokyo; it was amazing.

A few moments their driver called out a ‘we’re here’ and the group piled out of the car.

Shippou started to hop circles around his mother, “We’re going to the Night Parade!” he sang out.

Souta tried to look bored with the whole idea but couldn’t stop the grin from escaping his lips. His sister had spoken right, the parade was pretty with all the lights attached to the floats.

After some pushing they reached the front of the crowd and leaned against the fence that held everyone back.

Several floats came by and they ‘oh’ed and ‘aw’ed at the appropriate times.

Then came Kagome’s favorite part: the horses. Eight brown Clydesdales pulled a huge light version of the Japanese flag. They were the largest horses she had ever seen! Each had a wreath of red and white lights ringed around their necks and the leather strips that connected them all lit up with various bright colors.

“Here it comes Souta, Shippou,” she cried out excitedly. Kagome looked down to find only one pair of eyes looking up at her. Worry gripped her heart, “Souta, where’s Shippou?”

“I-I-I d-don’t know,” he stuttered.

“Shit,” she whispered as looked around. And then she saw him.

In the middle of the street.

Right in the path of the huge horses.

Paralyzed in fright.

“Shippou!” she cried out as she leapt over the waist high fence.

“Kagome!” two adult pairs of voices called out behind her but she ignored them.

It was so dark and the driver of the float wouldn’t be able to stop in time!

Kagome made a mad dash and tackled her son from the side just as the brown beasts got to that spot. They rolled out of the way on the asphalt as Kagome hugged Shippou to her chest. She could feel her arms and shoulders being scraped by the rough road but she didn’t care.

Shippou was safe.

She landed on her back, with her knees drawn up, on the left side of the road with a scared stiff Shippou sitting on her tummy.

Lifting her head up she gasped out a quick, “Shippou never do that again,” before Kagome's head fell backwards and she struggled to regain control over her breathing.

“Miss! Miss, are you all right?” one of the two officers asked as they came toward the out-of-breath Kagome.

“Yeah,” she panted.

They reached down and each took a shoulder to help her stand, Shippou clutched tightly to her chest.

Shippou looked up at the three adults and said in a calm voice, “My spinning top fell out on the road and was about to be run over.”

Kagome burst out laughing at that just as Sango and Miroku came running up. They looked at the officers to see if they thought she had gone hysterical or something. Kagome brushed a tear of mirth away from her eye with a finger and choked out, “Shippou and that damn top! It’ll be the death of me someday. I should know considering how many times I’ve fallen down the stairs because of it!”

Miroku chuckled finally understanding and Sango grinned at the sight of her new friend still with a good head on her shoulders.

“Are you ok?” the officer asked again, just in case.

Kagome looked at him with surprise. Her look obviously said ‘my son almost got pancaked by a group of horses with hooves the size of dinner plates’. Well, maybe not obviously, but they figured it out.

They walked over to the side-lines and Souta came running up and squeezed Kagome till she was blue. “Kagome! You scared the shit out of me!”

“Souta! Where in the all the hells did you learn to talk like that?”

Souta grinned, “From you sis, from you.”

Kagome sweat-dropped and shook her head slightly. “Oops...”

Sango looked at the two security officers for the parade and said, “It’s all right Joe, Mark, we can handle it from here.”

They nodded to go off and do some silly thing and try to make it look like they were doing something important.

Kagome watched after them, “You know those two?”

Miroku nodded, “Yep, our friend is the one that puts on this parade. His company hosts and organizes it.”

Sango confirmed this. “We always get sneak peaks at the show.”

Kagome smiled. “Lucky.”

Sango looked at her bleeding skin. “Damn! How’d you get so hurt? Never mind, I already know.” She looked at Miroku, “Let’s find Inuyasha and see if her has any medical supplies.”

They started to lead the way and Kagome had no choice other than to follow.

.

.

.

Inuyasha Youkai was watching the parade from his office on the top floor of his nearby building. His lavender eyes took in the whole scene. “That crazy bitch! She could have gotten herself killed. And then I’d be stuck with the blame!”

He ran a hand through his long black hair with worry. “At least she didn’t though,” he didn’t want an innocent person to die. He wasn’t that big of a jerk.

Inuyasha’s eyes took on a spike of interest when he saw two people running towards her. They looked like his best friends, Sango and Miroku.

‘So they know her?!’

Sighing he sat down in a large leather chair behind his huge desk.

Today was a long day. It wasn’t like he had to take care of the whole company by himself, but Sesshoumaru and him just didn’t get along.

His father must have been crazy to leave the company to the half- brothers. They’d rip each other’s throats out soon if they didn’t call a truce. Sesshoumaru had always despised Inuyasha. Apparently he wasn’t good enough for him.

But Sesshoumaru Youkai did come in handy. His calm disposition and emotionless mask came in handy during business deals. Sesshoumaru was also a person to be feared, so no one dared to double cross him.

Under the brother’s care the company had flourished. It became one of the largest and most influential businesses in Japan and that would have made their father proud.

Still deep in thoughts, Inuyasha jumped when there was a knock on his door. “Come in,” he called out in a gruff voice, scowling.

“Hey Inu!” Sango cheerfully chirped as she stepped into his office.

Inuyasha face faulted and not just because he hated to be called Inu. He hadn’t seen Sango that happy for a while, not since the accident.

He had been there when his best friend got the news that her parents had died in a fire at their mansion. Her brother nearly did too and went to the hospital. It took months to get over the damage that the smoke ventilation caused.

Sango was only that cheerful when she was spending time with Kohaku. Even he and Miroku had to struggle to get more than a grin out of her.

“Hey,” he replied, voice softened.

Sango stepped in and asked quickly, “Do you have a first aid kit I can borrow?”

Inuyasha raised his eyebrow in a questioning look.

“A new friend of mine got cut up pretty badly and I need to clean the scratches out.” She elaborated.

Inuyasha shrugged and got up out of his chair. He was wearing a button down shirt like Miroku, only in was red. He also had a pair of black dress pants on. He was at work after all. Carrying the kit out behind Sango, he came into the entry room where the secretary normally was. It was the entrance to that level of his building.

Sitting in a chair with a small boy sitting in her lap was one of the prettiest women he had ever seen. Not that he’d tell her of course.

He recognized her as the insane woman who had almost gotten flattened earlier.

Inuyasha scowled and handed the kit over to Sango.

“Hey,” Miroku yelled from his seat next to Kagome. Inuyasha hadn’t even noticed him, or the other young boy at the foot of girl’s seat.

“Inuyasha this is Kagome, Kagome this is Inuyasha,” Sango introduced quickly.

Kagome gave him a heart-melting grin and said, “Nice to meet you. Great parade out there,” she nodded in the direction of the street.

“Yeah,” he growled out. Kagome didn’t appear to be frightened or impressed by his tone.

Turning back to Miroku she continued their conversation.

Inuyasha sat down across from them and a ball of red leapt into his lap. Looking up with wide-green eyes at Inuyasha he said, “I’m Shippou. Who are you?”

“Inuyasha, runt.”

Shippou crossed his arms and pouted. “I’m not a runt.”

“Riiiiiiiight,” Kagome sang out, turning her attention away from Miroku.

Shippou turned to stare. “I’m not!”

“Of course not Shippou, no one’s doubting you.”

“I’m not!”

“Mmm-hmm.”

“Am not!”

“Suuuuuuure!”

“Okaa-san!” he squealed.

“What?” Kagome's asked innocently, to Inuyasha's surprise.

Leaping into her lap he got a sudden idea. “Can we go out and get ice cream?”

“Please, sister?” Souta joined into the begging from the floor.

Sango stopped cleaning the scratches long enough to listen to the answer.

Sighing Kagome began to say that they needed to head back to the shelter, but Inuyasha interrupted.

“Of course she’s going to take you out. And she’s treating me to it too.”

“What?!” Kagome cried incredulously.

“It’s the least you can do for almost ruining my parade and interrupting my night here,” Inuyasha smirked smuggly.

“I don’t owe you anything!” she shouted leaning forward and poking him in the chest.

“Yes you do!”

“Do not!”

“Do too!”

“No way!”

“Yes way!”

“No!”

“Yes!”

“Children, children! Can you save it till later?” Miroku asked.

“NO!” they shouted at the same time and turned to glare at one another.

“Why don’t we all go out for ice cream and treat ourselves?” Sango suggested.

“Yes!” the two boys and Miroku called out with glee.

“Fine with me,” Kagome said shrugging. Ice cream might make this day a little better.

“Good then we’re agreed!” Sango stated firmly while nodding her head. “I have a light jacket in Miroku’s car that you can borrow to cover up your bruised arms, Kagome.”

“Thanks,” Kagome smiled with gratitude at her new friend. They had already grown pretty close.

Inuyasha stood staring after them as they walked out the door. “Wait!” he called running after them. “I never agreed to pay for my own! She still owes me!”

.

.

.

A/N: That one was a little longer than the first chapter! Inuyasha was finally introduced, there was excitement, and why Sango wasn’t always so happy was explained.

Sorry I still haven’t explained why Kagome is at the shelter. That will come later.