InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Day By Day ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rin walked up to Sesshoumaru's study with an ultimatum in hand. She wanted to give it to him ever since their fight the other day, but waited for him to cool down.

"Why are you here?" a voice called from behind the door.

"There is something I have to say. Can I talk to you?"

"I suppose you can." She heard him coming to the door slowly.

As she waited for him to come to the door she practiced in her head what she was going to say to him. She tried to say the same thing, but each time she seemed to leave important facts out.

`This is going to be harder than I thought. I should have just stayed quiet and let him come to me like all the other times.' She heard him stop right before the door. `But this isn't going to be like the other times. I'm through with it!' Her hands curled up into balls on the side of her body. She sighed heavily as the last step to the door was heard. The door slid opened, "Hello Rin. Come on in." Sesshoumaru held out his arm, in what she took as an obnoxious gesture, towards the room.

"Stop that. I should be the one that gets to be obnoxious, not you," Rin said, matter of factly, as she walking into his huge study.

"Won't you sit down?" he asked, showing no emotion.

"No. I just wanted to say that I will not be someone you can walk all over anymore. You have to tell me: Do you love me or not?"

Only the birds answered with their cheerful melody.

"It doesn't take more than a minute to say if you do or not! I'm not waiting here one more second!" shouted Rin. She looked in his eyes hoping to see what he was thinking. When she couldn't see anything she walked past him, her hair and her spring colored kimono brushing his arm as she went.

`I guess there is no such thing as love in this world,' Rin concluded as she slammed the door and ran down the hall. She ran out of the castle into the garden just as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

************************************

`I guess I am not supposed to have the love of Sesshoumaru. I thought that he wanted me. I should just leave. I can't stay here any longer.' Rin picked a flower from the garden and smelled it. `This almost smells like him after his bath.' She chuckled. `I'll take a couple to remind me of him for a little bit. Just enough to feel all right for a few days after I leave.'

She walked back into the castle and up the stairs to her room. She picked up the brush that he gave her. It was pure silver and had her name engraved on it. She smiled. It was a present from him for her sixteenth birthday. It made her hair feel like the finest of silks. `I should take it. I can use it for money.' Then she picked up the bracelet he gave her for her eighteenth birthday. This was also silver, but this had small pearls placed in the band.

She remembered that birthday…She was talking about how she wanted to go out and see some things by herself. She was eighteen after all. She was an adult. He let her go to the village for the day and then they would go out for a week patrolling the boarders together. In the village she sensed she was being followed. She turned around and there he was with the bracelet. She let him put it on her and she jumped into his arms and hugged him as the villagers watched, horrified. Then, she took his face in her hands and kissed his cheek, then hugged him again. She was so happy that he gave her something this beautiful. The second time she swore he hugged her back

"I will leave these here. I don't need these memories anymore," she said to no one. She took some kimonos from the shelf beside the table that held her bracelet. She put them in a small sack with her brush. She turned around still closing the bag and started to walk out of the room when she ran into Sesshoumaru.

"Hey!" she yelled as she started to look up. "Oh, it's you. How long have you been standing here?!"

"Long enough," said Sesshoumaru. "So, you are leaving."

"Yes," she answered his statement. "I am going to the village and I am going to take my horse. So, if you would please move out of my way I will be leaving now."

He stepped out of her path as she walked by. "You should take the bracelet, even though you do not want it. It will bring you money."

She turned around and looked into his eyes, "I want you to keep it to remind yourself how you let me slip through your fingers." She turned back and walked out of the room and to the stables.

She sighed after she got on her horse and looked back at the front of the castle. `I know I hurt him, but I can't stand to be hurt myself. Not anymore. I've been waiting too long for him. I need something he cannot give me.' She looked up to his balcony. She saw him looking out over the land. `He's watching me go.' She took her hand and kissed it then blew it toward his direction with a wish. `Find someone and never let her go.' She turned the horse towards the village and rode off.

*********************************

"I think I've done pretty well for myself here, Tomo," Rin said as she talked to her horse outside of her small hut. "I have a job fixing kimonos for Wakaba. I have made some friends and I think Kohaku loves me." She smiled. "Things are looking up for me."

She gave Tomo a kiss and patted her side before she walked off to go back into her hut with the vegetables she picked out of her garden. She started to fix her dinner as she thought about Sesshoumaru.

`I heard him growl as I rode off, but he never followed me. I thought he would. It's been two years though. I guess he has gotten on with his life. But it's not like I am that far. I didn't go to the village by the castle, but I know he could have found me by my scent. I still pick those flowers that smell like him. I know I'm supposed to hate him, but I don't want to forget the man who was my protector, my friend, my first love. He brought me back to life. I will always feel connected to him, but I had to leave…'

"Hey," he said.

"AAAHHH!!" she screamed and turned around as her heart raced. "What are you doing??"

"I came to see if you wanted to come with me to see the fireworks. The village celebration is ending today."

"I forgot about that." She smiled towards Kohaku. "Do you want to eat dinner with me?"

His lips formed in a sly grin. "Only if you come with me to see the fireworks."

"All right!" she said happily.

They ate while talking about tonight and Rin forgot all about Sesshoumaru for the time being. They finished cleaning up and walked to the hill right outside of the village to see the fireworks clearly.

"Hey Rin, Kohaku!" yelled Sango and Miroku. "Come over here. We have the best seats!" They motioned the couple to sit near them and their three children.

"That's ok. We will sit right here," yelled Kohaku back at his sister and brother-in-law.

"Why didn't you want to sit with them?" Rin asked as her cheeks started to become flushed because she knew what his answer would be.

"Because I wanted to be alone with you," he said as he took her hand and led her to the spot where they were going to sit. They sat down and she noticed that Kohaku's hand was starting to shake.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes. I just have something I want to tell you."

"Oh." Rin's cheeks started to redden again.

"Rin," he paused to catch his breath, "I love you and I want to marry you."

"Oh," was all Rin could say.

They sat in silence as the fireworks started. She didn't want to look at the fireworks and from what she could see, he didn't either. She decided to make the move and show him how she felt. She leaned and kissed him on his lips as a one of the fireworks lighted the sky behind them. After the kiss she leaned towards his ear and said "Yes, I love you too." For the rest of the fireworks show they sat with their arms around each other.

Kohaku walked her back to her hut and gave her a small goodnight kiss on her forehead. As she walked into her hut she started thinking about how her life was going to be.

`I finally have someone who loves me. I can't wait until we have children. I bet they will be beautiful.' Her thoughts ran through her head a mile a minute until she came to him. `Sesshoumaru.' She suddenly felt light headed and sat down on her bed. `I wonder what he thinks of this. Why should I care? He didn't love me and if he did he let me go and never came after me. It's been two years. I can't believe I still think about him. I know he was with me all those years, but he abandoned me. He let me think he was in love with me and then abandoned me. Or maybe it was just me. I thought he was in love with me. But he hugged me back that one time. And that other time I thought he was going to kiss me, but then Jaken came in and he left. But he isn't that kind of person, actually, demon. He doesn't show emotion. But I still saw it. I saw it in his eyes. He showed his emotion for me there. I always knew where to look.' She fell into a restless sleep still thinking about her two lovers.

***************************

"RIN!!!" Sesshoumaru screamed.

She ran up to his body. "Sesshoumaru!!! Don't die on me!!" She knelt by his side and laid her head on his chest and heard his labored breathing. She started to shake uncontrollably with her sobs. "I love you!!! I have always loved you!!"

Rin could feel Sesshoumaru take his right hand and stoke her head. She took a hold of his hand and wrapped it around her. She felt comfortable at that moment; even though she knew he was going to die.

"Rin?"

"Hmmm?"

"I'm sorry I never told you until now that I love you."

"That ok." She moved his arm off of her as she moved towards his head. "I love you too." She smiled and kissed the crescent shaped marking on his forehead. Then she stood up and walked away.

*********************************

Rin woke up that morning in a cold sweat with the dream on her mind. `What does it mean?' she thought as she got dressed.

After eating some breakfast she walked to Wakaba's. `At least work will get my mind off of it,' she thought as she stepped into the hut.

She didn't make it out of the doorway when Wakaba showed her the most beautiful kimono she had ever seen.

"What is this for?" Rin asked as she felt the pink and white kimono.

"For you, silly!" she gleamed.

"Huh?"

"To wear for your wedding! As soon as I heard about it I knew this was the dress for you." She turned around to put it back into the closet. "I hope you don't mind that it has been worn before."

"I don't mind. It's so beautiful," Rin said as she walked into the hut. "Where did you get it?"

"Some demon came across here when you were away with Kohaku and the others a year ago and dropped it off."

"Did the demon say why she didn't want it anymore?"

"HE said that it belongs to someone, but she didn't want it anymore."

"That's strange," Rin said as she started to pick up her supplies from under the sewing table.

"Yeah," Wakaba said as she sat down at her sewing table. "He didn't even want any money for it. Although he looked like he didn't need the money."

"Huh," Rin said as she started to sew up a kimono that Kagome brought in the other day.

**************************

As Wakaba went home for her lunch, Rin decided she wanted to see how her wedding kimono looked on her. She walked over to the closet it was in and picked it up. She found a mirror and looked at herself with it draped over her.

"I look beautiful," she said.

"Yes you do."

"AAAHHH!!" she screamed as she turned around, almost falling over. "Don't do that!"

"I was just admiring you, my love," said Kohaku in the door way in the corner of the room.

"Well, next time do it less quietly," she laughed.

Kohaku walked over to her and motioned her to try it on.

"OK." Rin smiled and walked into the little dressing room. "I never thought that we would be getting married. You were so different this time I met you."

"That's because I am. I am glad you came here, Rin." She could see him look at her table and the red kimono she was fixing.

"Kohaku," Rin said letting him know she was ready for him to see her.

"Rin," he breathed. "It's beautiful. You're beautiful."

Rin stood with a smile from ear to ear. She watched Kohaku walk towards her and give her a kiss.

"RIN!" They we startled out of the kiss. "KOHAKU!"

They both looked at the doorway where Wakaba was standing. "What?" they asked simultaneously.

"I was just surprised, that's all," she laughed.

Rin smiled then turned around to get out of the kimono. She walked into the dressing room and looked at herself in the full length mirror that was in there. `I do look beautiful and I can't wait until I wear this and marry my love.' After she smiled at the thought of them getting married she started to take off the kimono.

She stopped as a smell filtered in her nose. `That smell. The flowers. Sesshoumaru.' She thought she felt her heart stop. `He knows where I am? How come he came when I wasn't here? Did he know? Did he come here when I was gone on purpose?

Why did he want to give me this? He had to have known it was going to come to me. I don't understand.'

"Rin, let's get some lunch now," Kohaku called, pulling her out of her thoughts.

She promptly dressed and walked out to meet him asking Wakaba, "The demon who gave this to you, what did he look like?"

"It's been a while. I don't think I can remember," she answered as Kohaku looked dumbfounded.

"Please, remember. Was he wearing a white haori and a metal breastplate with spikes over it? Did he have silver hair? Did he have markings on his face? Was one of them a crescent shape? Was he wearing a fluffy…a fluffy...thing on his right side? Was his left arm missing?" she asked Wakaba, not stopping for a single breath.

"Well, he was missing an arm. I remember that and his markings. There was a crescent one on his forehead. And there was an annoying green demon with him also," Wakaba answered.

"Rin?" Kokaku asked with a hint of concern in his voice.

"Kohaku. That was Sesshoumaru. He gave this to Wakaba. He was here."

"How did you know that?"

"The smell. It smells like those flowers I always pick to put in my hut. It's his smell."

"Oh." Rin could see a small sparkle move from his eyes.

"Kohaku? I'm sorry." She looked down at the floor. `I'm stupid! Here I am gushing over Sesshoumaru when Kohaku is right here! I love Kohaku. Sesshoumaru is nothing but a distant memory!'

She didn't notice that he walked over to her until he grabbed her chin gently and made her look at him. "It's ok. He was a part of your past."

"And you are my future."

He smiled, "And so are you." He let go of her chin. "Now, let's get something to eat!"

She put the kimono away and then joined him at the door, taking his hand as he led her to his hut.

****************************

"You looked beautiful, Rin."

"Thank you, Sesshoumaru."

"You should be with me."

"What!" she yelled, "You didn't want to see me when you came to give this to me! I should NOT be with you! You don't even know how I feel about you!"

"Yes I do," he said. "You love me and I love you."

"Then why did you let me marry him?"

"Because you need to be happy and that cannot happen when you are with me."

"I can. All you have to do is love me! I left because you didn't!" She started to cry.

"I am sorry, Rin."

***************************

"Rin. Are you all right?" Kohaku asked trying to wake her.

"Yes. Why wouldn't I be?" she said opening her eyes to see her husband's face.

"You were crying."

She lifted her hand and felt her cheek. It was wet. "I'm sorry. I had a bad dream. It's all right." She smiled, sat up, and kissed him. "I think I will go bathe in the river this morning."

"All right. Do you want company?" he smiled slyly.

`Not really,' she thought. "Sure."

They walked to the river. It was a silent walk as she contemplated the dream. `This is a bad dream. I am making him a more emotional person. That is what I wanted him to be. That is not who he is. Kohaku is who I want. We are husband and wife. We were married yesterday. We love each other. Stop thinking about Sesshoumaru!'

"Come on, Rin!" he called for her to join him.

She walked into the river slowly. It was warm from the afternoon sun. "I can't believe we slept in all morning," she said as she walked slowly towards Kohaku.

"I can," he winked. "I can't believe we've been together for a couple of weeks."

"Huh?" she asked. "We were married yesterday!"

"I know, but I started counting when you told me yes." He leaned in and kissed her.

She kissed back. `This is what I want.'

After being in the river for a couple hours, Rin spoke up. "I think we should get back. It's starting to get dark. We should make some dinner."

"I guess you're right," he said, unwilling to leave the river.

"Oh, I see. You don't like my cooking," she said in a fake pout.

"I never said that!" Kohaku said being very defensive as he unknowingly walked out of the river.

"I know. I was just trying to get out of the river." She pointed at his feet and then laughed at him.

"I'll get you for that!" he said as he started to chase her.

"You won't get far wearing nothing at all!" she laughed hysterically as he quickly put on the robe he brought.

He returned to chasing Rin. He caught up with her and picked her up bridal style and kissed her passionately on the lips. They walked all the way home like that.

As Rin waited for dinner that Kohaku insisted he make she fell asleep.

*******************************

"Rin!"

"Kohaku!"

She looked for him, but he wasn't there. She thought she heard his voice.

Sango and Kirara came appeared from the darkness, but she still couldn't see him.

Kirara moved to show her as Sango explained, "The demon was coming…he got the demon…and the demon got him…he died on the spot…"

"KOHAKU!!!" She rushed to pull him off Kirara. He was too heavy for her and he ended up falling to the ground with a loud thud. She turned him over and looked at his face. It was splattered with the blood that came from his stomach. The wound there looked like someone was trying to scoop out his insides with his scythes. She kissed his cold lips then laid on top of him and cried.

"Kohaku! I wish you wouldn't have gone!! It's all my fault! I should have kept you here. Then you would still be alive!!

******************************

"Rin? Are you sleeping? Do you want some dinner?" asked Kohaku.

"I dozed off. I guess I've had a long day." She smiled.

"Here. Have some soup." He handed her the bowl.

"This is great!" She said after she took a sip.

"Thank you." He kissed her cheek and walked over to get his own bowl and sat down beside her. "What were you dreaming? I heard you call my name."

"Oh. I was just dreaming about you and me," she said.

"I hope it was nice."

"Not as nice a real life." She smiled at him and put down her bowl.

"Are you all right?"

She nodded and leaned over to kiss him.

"Ah," he whispered. He and Rin walked into their bedroom, hand in hand.

*******************************

`I can't wait! Only four more months! Hurry!' Rin thought as she washed their clothes in the river.

"Rin! Rin!" called Kohaku.

"I'm right here," she called back as she stood up slowly.

"Be careful." He helped her up. "If anything happened to you or the baby I would never forgive myself."

"I'm not going to die from standing up," she said sarcastically.

He opened his mouth as if to say something, but decided against it and kissed her belly instead.

Rin played with his hair as he told the unborn child, "I love you, my boy."

"Hey! How do you know it's not a girl!" she said as she put her fists on the side of her hips.

"I know these things," he said with a wink before kissing Rin. "Anyway, I have to go kill a demon in a village about a half a day from here. Sango and I shouldn't be too long. We will be back in about a couple of days. If you need anything go to Miroku or Kagome." He paused. "I take that back. Go to Kagome."

She laughed. "All right." She gave him another kiss goodbye then watched him walk back into the village.

She walked back to their hut with the laundry a few minutes later. She hoped to see him one last time before he left, but she was too late. `I just wanted to say I love you. Oh well, I'll say it when he gets back.' She sighed as she hung up the clothes to dry in the back. `I smell the flowers. I'll pick some for the house after this. It's been a long time since I thought about you Sesshoumaru. I hope everything has been working out for you as well as it has been for me.'

After she was done with the laundry she walked towards the flowers and picked a bunch and brought them to their hut. She let out a yawn and decided she should take a nap.

****************************

`I wonder why he's late,' she thought as she stood outside of their hut, waiting for him. `He said he'd be back by now and he always keeps his word.'

Rin closed her eyes in anticipation. She opened them again only to see Sango and the fully grown Kirara. `Where is Kohaku?' She started to walk towards them, but something in her told her to run.

"Sango! Where is Kohaku?!" she yelled.

"There…he…I…Rin," was all she could sputter.

She didn't need to ask anymore. She saw her husband lying on the back of Kirara. She ran up to the cat and tried to get him off. He was too heavy for her so he just fell to the ground on his side with a loud thump. `That thump. I've heard that before.' And then it hit her. `My dream!'

She knelt down as fast as she could and turned him onto his back. She screamed.

"I will get Kagome," said Sango and she ran to get the miko from another era.

Rin nodded then started to wipe the blood from his face with her kimono's sleeve.

He groaned and opened his eyes. "Rin."

"You are hurt, Kohaku. Don't talk." She placed a finger over his lips. Her eyes wandered to his stomach to see the same wound he had in her dream.

"You should see the other guy," he laughed, but stopped when he started to cough.

Rin watched as fresh blood flowed from his mouth. "I told you. Don't talk." She wiped the blood from his mouth.

"I just want to say one last thing before I…" He started coughing again.

Tears rolled down Rin's cheeks as she saw her husband dying. "You are going to be fine. Kagome is coming. Please don't talk like that."

"I love you, Rin. Please don't ever forget me." He lifted his left hand and rested it on her stomach. She put her hand on top of his to hold it there. "Don't give your mother a hard time." She smiled through the tears as he brought his hand to her cheek. She leaned down and kissed his lips for the last time.

The taste of his blood made her shiver. "I love you too, Kohaku."

It seemed like he was waiting just for her to say that. His hand went limp and fell to the ground.

She screamed and lied over his bloody body and cried.

She heard Kagome come running as a crowed of people started to gather.

"Get her off of him and take her away!" Kagome yelled.

"Rin. You have to come with me. Rin," said Sango in her calmest voice possible as she helped her get up and took her away from his body.

"I don't want to leave him. I..don't…" The sight of Kohaku was getting to her and she fell back to her knees and threw up.

"Sango! Get Miroku and Inuyasha!" yelled Kagome.

Rin knew what that meant. He was dead. Inuyasha was needed to move his body from the middle of town and Miroku to pray for his soul. She stood up. Everything around her was spinning and everyone's voice became muffled. The only thing she could do was cry, cry for the one she loved.