InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Life, I Quit ❯ The Sacred Dagger ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kaori: ^^ Wai I got lots of reviews sense last night XD Arigatou! Tee hee! Well anyways here we go, on to chapter 4…
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Dear Life, I Quit
 
Chapter 4 {The Sacred Dagger}
 
 
Kagome coughed into her hand, she squinted and tried to look through the heavy purple mist that had gathered around the mountain. “Tusaka-kun there isn't a village here; if there was all the people in it would be dead…this miasma is too thick.” The miko rubbed her irritated eyes with the back of her hands, coughing every time she took a breath. “We got to get out of this.”
 
Tusaka put his arms around the young miko and helped her walk through the mist. “We should be out of this soon…damn I had no idea there was such a thick miasma in these mountains.” He looked at Kagome, her eyes were squeezed shut, and her hands were clapped over her mouth and nose. `Miko or not, Kagome-sama is still a mortal…she won't be able to survive if she stays exposed to it.'
 
“I'm going to carry you.” Tusaka said as he scooped Kagome up in his arms. “We'll be able to get out of here faster if I am able to run with you.” He then took off through the miasma
 
Kagome opened her eyes and looked up at the youkai, his face was blurred…along with everything else she looked at. `…so dizzy…' the miko thought to herself before closing her eyes again, allowing herself to get out a couple violent coughs.
 
Tusaka draped the sleeve of his kimono over her mouth and pressed in on it to keep it wrapped tightly around her. “Breathe through that…it should filter out most of the poison.” He looked down at the miko as he ran. “Gomen Kagome-sama, this was a bad idea.” `If she gets any permanent damage inflicted on her up here I will never forgive myself.'
 
As Tusaka neared one of the larger ravines, a large cloud of miasma exploded from it, blowing Kagome out of Tusaka's arms and flinging the two of them into a cliff. “Kagome…sama…” Tusaka groaned as he dragged himself to his feet. The miko lay sprawled out on a large flat rock that hung off the cliff about two hundred feet in the air. “Dammit.”
 
A large shadow rose from the exploding ravine, the youkai was about fifty feet tall, and that was only the half that was towering out of the top of the gorge. It was almost dragon like, except its gray and black scales were hanging off and frail, while a dragon's scales was always known to be as hard as diamond. Its eyes were a blazing red, and its teeth were long and jagged and stained yellow.
 
“Oh, fuck.” Tusaka took out his daggers and looked up at where Kagome still lay. “Kagome-sama!” he yelled, hoping the girl was still conscious. “Don't move! Don't budge one muscle!” he then ran for the large youkai that was now staring down at him hungrily. `This is the last thing I need right now…'
 
~*~*~
 
Inuyasha ran through the mountain pass with Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara tight behind him. `The miasma isn't very strong here…' he thought. `I hope they never went much further than this…' Inuyasha raced ahead of the rest as he neared the corner of the cliff.
 
“Inuyasha! Wait for us!” Shippo yelled. “Inuyasha!! That baka, he won't be able to fight off the youkai that live up here by his self.”
 
“Probably not,” Miroku said. “But usually when it comes to Kagome-san Inuyasha will go through hell and back to try and get to her.”
 
“I wish he would go to hell.” Sango snarled under her breath. “When Kagome-chan sees him she'd better give him the osuwari of a lifetime…maybe if we're lucky it WILL send that damn hanyou to hell.”
 
Miroku looked puzzled. “Sango you are awfully hard on Inuyasha aren't you?”
 
“He deserves it.” Sango looked back at the monk. “And you know he does.”
 
“Hai, but that doesn't mean you have to turn on him. I'm sure Kagome-san will punish him, she always does remember?” Miroku smiled and gave the side of Sango's rear a reassuring rub.
 
Sango twist around and slapped him. “Hentai.” She growled before looked back a head. “Kirara try and catch up with Inuyasha, we can't have him going off by himself up here.”
 
The feline hissed and started to fly through the air with a greater speed. Sango held on tighter, her eyes narrowing. `Inuyasha…if that girl has but one scratch when we find her I will beat you to death with my Hiraikotsu…you won't get out of it as easily as you did before.'
 
 
The youkai slayer sighed and closed her eyes. `Kagome-chan loves him so much…she was blind for the longest time to his misdeeds. But Inuyasha…I can see it in his eyes that he really does love her back…' she thought back on all the times Inuyasha had left the group just to go see Kikyo. `He still loves her…it was no good for him to deny it. But he still always came through for Kagome-chan whenever she needed him.'
 
Sango opened her eyes, they were now directly above Inuyasha, and the miasma was getting thicker. She gingerly put on her face mask and bided Kirara to press on. `But this time he's gone way to far…Kagome-chan always forgave him but…this time I think Inuyasha is just rushing off to a heartbreaking letdown.'
 
~*~*~*
 
Kagome twitched when Tusaka spoke to her from below; she opened her eyes and stared into the four faces of the rotting corpses of men. She let out a scream and sat up; making the rock she was on move and almost slide off the cliff. She peered down at Tusaka, who was in an all out battle with the large youkai that had come up from the ravine.
 
`I'm so high up…' the miko thought as she glanced back at the four festering corpses. `That blast of miasma…it sent me up so far…' her eyes started to water due to irritation caused by the harshness of the miasma, and she took another coughing fit which made the rock move again.
 
“AH!”
 
“Tusaka-kun!” Kagome yelled upon hearing the leopard youkai cry out. The larger youkai had Tusaka scooped up in its hands, and was squeezing the life out of him. Kagome looked at the ground and saw that one of Tusaka's daggers resting by a rock, the other was still in Tusaka's hands.
 
Tusaka flung the dagger at the youkai, but it easily reflected the attack with its hand and sent the dagger flying up towards Kagome. The miko let out a cry as the dagger took her in the shoulder, making her fall back on one of the corpses.
 
“Kagome-sama!” Tusaka yelled his eyes trembling. “Kagome-sama! Kagome-sama!”
 
Kagome winced as she took the dagger out of her shoulder; it had completely run her though, for the point had come out through the back of her shoulder blade. “Ah! AH!” the miko cried out as the miasma stung her wound, seeping its poison into her bloodstream. She looked down, the youkai was continuing to squeeze its hands around Tusaka's body as tightly as it could, she could see that Tusaka was almost on the verge of passing out.
 
`I have to do something…' Kagome thought frantically. She looked to one of the corpses, he was holding onto a very sturdy looking bow, she raised her eyebrow and looked at Tusaka's now crimson dagger. “I got it.”
 
Kagome grabbed the bow and shook the fleshy rotted had off of it, she then hooked the dagger into the string as if it was an arrow. She peered out over the side of the rock, and while holding her breath she started to jump up and down on it, her shoulder feeling like it was going to burn off.
 
The rock finally gave way and started to fall, Kagome aimed the dagger so that it was aiming for just ahead of her. All the corpses fell off as she neared eye level of the youkai; she strained her arm back, widening her poisoned wound. “Hit the mark!” she cried as she let the dagger go, making it fly through the air.
 
Tusaka watched as his dagger, covered with Kagome's blood and glowing with her sacred powers penetrated through the youkai's head, making it explode. The grip the youkai had around Tusaka loosened just enough for him to wiggle his way free. As he fell he watched in horror as the rock Kagome was on smashed into the ground, tossing the miko to one side.
 
Tusaka landed and ran to her, making her stand up. “Kagome-sama we have to get out of here now the rocks are going to collapse.” By this time the whole area was shaking and crumbling apart. Tusaka picked Kagome up and started to run with her.
 
“We're not going to make it…” Kagome whispered.
 
“Like hell we're not!” Tusaka spotted an opening off the side of the mountain. “I'm going to have to jump out over the side!”
 
“Yay…more falling…” Kagome mumbled.
 
Tusaka smiled. “Save your sense of humor, Kaogme-sama. Your going to need it after this.” He got to the edge of the mountain and jumped out over the side, quickly clearing the miasma and leaving it behind.
 
Kagome looked down; there was a river right below them. `At least the water will clean my wound of the poison…' she thought as more pain shot through her shoulder.
 
“Hold your breath!” Tusaka yelled moments before the two hit the water.
 
Kagome was torn away from Tusaka's grip and was swiftly carried down stream ahead pf him. She covered her mouth and looked around frantically for any sign of her friend in the water. After a few moments she kicked upwards and her head rose above water, she took in a mouth full of air before being sucked back under again.
 
For what seemed to be an eternity she was swept along the river, with still no sign of Tusaka. She then suddenly felt a strong hand grab her shirt and lift her out of the water, placing her on dry land. She looked up, expecting to see Tusaka's smiling face, but instead she was staring into the dark eyes of numerous villagers who had the look of shock and surprise on their faces.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kaori: Well here we go, chapter 4 ^^ review *MWAH*!