InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Peace ❯ Chapter 6: Miroku ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: I was harsh last chapter and I apologize for that. I will still continue to update even if you don’t review. But reviews will be greatly appreciated! Sorry if I offended or angered any of you. I was irate when I wrote that note. My apologies. So in that note, here’s the next chapter!

*Death and Peace*

By: Kage Otome

Chapter 6: Miroku


Botan and Jakotsu still bickering with an occasional hair pull or scratch bounded into the room full of angry energy. Both stilled however when they noticed the oddly solemn looks on everyone’s face. Eyes both pink and brown turned to where everyone else turned back to staring--Koenma and Kagome. Kagome looking quite upset.

“Kagome, what’s wrong?” And for once, Jakotsu didn’t interrupt her.

Forcing a smile, she wiped all traces of previous anger, sadness and despair. Placing the all too familiar cheerful facade she smiled brightly at the two before shaking her head, releasing Koenma from his place pinned to the wall. Kagome did her best to wipe the look of her watery eyes. Botan smiled back cheerily, while Jakotsu, not quite so dense narrowed his eyes at her.

Winking at him playfully he let it slide--for the moment.

“I see you two have stopped fighting.” Kagome teased, a small smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth. Realizing that she was right, they both went back to glaring at each other and tossing scathing remarks. Kagome’s eyes regained a bit of twinkle.

‘I’ll never let them see how much I still hurt--Never.’

------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kagome slid out of the room quietly, slipping through the shadows, toward the Reikai gardens. She knew he would come to her, he had no doubt watched over the entire scene in Koenma’s office. He would come, not because he cared, but because he feared. Of course his fear was justifiable, no matter if her betrayal was justified by her love, it didn’t make it right, and it left much room for suspicion. Of course he was also under suspicion, so they were both in pretty tight spaces with each other.

“Kagome.”

She made no move to face the man.

The large male sighed, looking down at the petite female.

“Yes?” Her voice was smooth and unreadable.

“I need to know where your loyalty lies.”

“My loyalty lies with my heart, Enma. It lies with Sesshoumaru, it lies with what is best for the people under my care. I will not falter and allow havoc to reach the Ningenkai. But I will not hurt Kougaiji. You could never, and you will never turn me against him.” Kagome spoke clearly with an odd calm that left Enma with a sense of deja vu. He’d heard this speech before.

“Kagome.”

“Don’t worry. I understand what you want of me.” Kagome turned to face him, eyes tinted with red.

“I won’t turn against you, like I did before. I know who’s lives are at stake. But if you ask me to hurt Kougaiji, your in for a rude awakening.”

“Who would you choose? Kougaiji or them?”

Kagome laughed.

A bitter, broken laugh full of despair and pain.

“I’ll give you the same answer, I gave your son. I don’t know.”

Enma looked at her with a critical eye. Things had gone down hill for the young woman the moment she was born. There were brief times in life she was content, happy even. Most of those times were with Kougaiji or the Sanzo-ikkou. He knew it was unfair of him to ask her to choose. He knew her carefully sculpted mask of cheer and playful laughter was going to fall soon. Sighing he turned to leave, glancing back at her proud form he shook his head.

She’d suffered enough.

He had no right to add to that suffering.

No one did.

------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

His violet eyes traced over the familiar form of the small female. ‘It’s been so long...’ He thought to himself. So very long. Walking up behind the petite female he wrapped his arms around her. Blue eyes widened in surprised shock before closing in bliss at the familiar and missed embrace. Turning in his arms Kagome smiled softly at him. Gently tracing the high cheekbones and strong jaw she kissed him softly against the side of his mouth. Hugging him tightly she let a single tear fall.

“Miroku...”

--------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

“Who the hell is that?” Sanzo spat, jealousy raging through his body.

“That would be Miroku-sama.” Koenma said wearily, “He was Kagome and Kougaiji’s right hand man. He infiltrated many places for them. He was in other words their spy.”

“Why do you use past tense?” Hakkai asked from beside Sanzo.

“A mission went wrong. It was already high risk, they didn’t want him to go in undercover. He did. But unfortunately due to some complications--my father sent SDF and they compromised the situation by showing previous knowledge and recognition of Miroku. The ‘ringleader’ so to speak killed him.”

“What---Why?”

“Suspicion--t hat’s all the reason he needed.”

So that was it...

They were partners, they were friends, but they weren’t lovers.

That was good.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------

“H ow...?”

“Koenma never told you?” Miroku asked surprised.

“Told me what?”

“In Reikai, I have a physical manifestation of myself, because this is the land of the dead, dearest. And I have ascended to quite a rank, I’m a scholar now.” Miroku said pride in his voice. Resting her forehead against his shoulder she hid her smirk.

“Is that so, oh Great One?” Kagome mocked playfully.

Miroku looked dutifully appalled, playing along with his dear friend.

“Yes, Oh lowly servant of mine.” Miroku said haughtily, his nose stuck high in the air. Kagome punched his arm playfully, Miroku allowed for that before taking her up into his arms and spinning her around. She smiled her first true smile since coming to Reikai. As they came to a stop Kagome pulled him close and held on tightly as if she were afraid this would all be a dream and Miroku would disappear again. She was scared.

“Kagome...” Miroku looked down at her with sad eyes. He knew what she was thinking. One could hide no thoughts from him, especially considering how long he’d known her. He knew all about what happened between her and Kougaiji and Naraku. How he wished to go to earth and comfort, one of his best friends. His heart also went out to Kougaiji who he knew, must be hurting just as much. It was obvious the love they felt for each other.

It was too bad Naraku tore them apart before their love had the chance to bloom.

----------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------
A/n: Review!