InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demonology ❯ Kagome's Choice ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's Note: LESS THAN A DAY! Agh, these overnight shifts are slowly killing me. Just to warn you, a little bit of lime in this chapter. ENJOY!

Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.

It was 2 in the morning when Kagura stepped out of her car. She looked around to see groups of prostitutes on the corners, cars drove by slowly and the drivers were holding out wads of cash. She looked to see an alley filled with trash cans, and on top of the trash can was a black cat with red eyes.

She nodded to the cat and the cat closed its eyes slowly, as if to acknowledge her. The cat ran off shortly after as Kagura walked the two blocks to the Thunder Brother's Fights and Lights. The crowds were pretty much gone at this point, but she knew the real business would be in the basement. She walked to the back of the bar and let herself in through the door that led down a set of stairs. When she got to the bottom there was a reinforced steel door with a fox asleep next to the door.

“Shikon,” Kagura stated. The fox, who had appeared asleep, nodded and opened the door. Kagura walked in to see a wide array of activities before her. While the upstairs was practically dead, this room was jam packed. Humans of every age shooting up or riding out the high. Demons sitting nearby, drooling at the humans. A few vampires were even in the room, sliding money to an incredibly large demon who looked like a blanched round ball with a low pony tail and three hairs on top of his head.

His voice sounded almost comical, as Kagura remembered Monten, the other Thunder Brother. His books were open and he was adding up the figures when Kagura approached the bar.

“Greetings, Monten,” Kagura said, pulling a white and red fan from inside of her kimono.

Monten looked up and the look of pure terror appeared on his face. “Ka-Kagura! What are y-you doing h-h-here?” he stammered.

“I'm looking for your brother.”

She let her fan fall half way open, causing him to shutter. “Y-yes, of course! Let me find him!” He got up, spilling a drink all over the books and knocking over a chair in his haste. He went to a door and knocked frantically.

A moment later Hiten came out, a dark look on his face. “What is it, Kagura?”

“Naraku has decided to delay his trip until December. I figured the extra time to find the girl would be beneficial to you.”

Hiten and Monten both looked visibly relieved. “Why has he decided to delay the trip?” Hiten asked.

Kagura smiled. “Oh, you know, business. It's not easy being a diplomat when you run the Japanese black market,” she said off handedly, waiving her hand.

Monten was still staring at the hand holding the half open fan. Kagura followed his gaze and suddenly she waved her fan, causing sharp slashes of air through the room, knocking over tables, cutting holes in the walls. One person had a severe cut in his shoulder and fell to the ground screaming. Everyone in the room panicked and began screaming.

“If you do not find the girl by the time Naraku is here, he will personally ensure that you both cease to exist!”

She turned her heel and walked out, the fox demon guarding the door staring at her intently. She flipped a coin to him and let herself out, seeing that the bartender upstairs was selling drugs under the counter.

She walked back into street, finding the prostitutes on the corner. She heard of a rumor that one of the prostitutes had a telepathic child. She had a plan, but in order to hatch it, she needed to see if this rumor was true, and if it was, to use the child.

She went up to a blonde prostitute wearing nothing but a tube top and a spandex mini skirt with six inch platforms. The marks on her arm showed that she was a heavy drug user, making Kagura smile even more broadly.

“I need a half demon child, can you assist me?” she commanded.

The woman smiled. “You can have my kid,” she stated. “He's pretty useless.”

“What kind of demon is he? What powers does he possess?”

She thought about it. “Not sure what kind of demon, but he gets himself into trouble quite a bit. He makes people get really pissed really easily. I usually have to leave him locked up.”

Kagura smiled. “Perfect, where is he?”

“What do you want him for?”

Kagura gave her a cold smile that was impossible to decipher.

The woman held out her hand. Kagura continued to stare at her.

“Oh he's expensive if you want him for the night. Not many six year olds working the streets you know,” she stated. “If you want to see my kid, you gotta pay.”

Kagura put a wad of 20s in her hand, the woman smiled. “Right this way,” she gestured, walking two blocks to a seedy hotel. She opened the room and Kagura was met with the smell of unclean flesh and sickness. The room was heavy with the sour smell of human filth. She saw drugs openly on the table, a variety of pills, a spilled bottle of bootleg liquor laying on the floor.

A little boy, no more than six, was watching television on the floor. He was wearing a burlap sack for clothes. His hair was blonde and stood at odd ends. What was eerie was that his eyes were a pale pink, almost as if he were albino. The only thing that gave away that the boy were a demon were his hands. He only had four fingers on each hand. Unusually long fingers.

“You're home,” the boy said in surprise.

“The woman's paid for time, don't mouth off,” the mother spat, pulling him by the back of his shirt as she thrust him towards her.

The boy tripped and fell at Kagura's feet. He looked up and Kagura could feel him entering her mind. The boy smiled when he saw what Kagura's next plan of action was.

“Do it,” he muttered.

Kagura didn't need to be told to rip the heart out of the woman. The woman stared at Kagura wide eyed before she fell to the ground. Kagura leaned down and pulled the money out of the woman's hand, smiling.

“How come you never did that yourself?” Kagura asked as she handed the kid the money.

The kid began counting the bills in his hand, shrugging.

Kagura smiled. This was a smart kid. “Want to work for me for a while? I need someone who can get information.”

The boy smiled. “Sure. My name's Cody by the way.”

“Kagura.”

The boy walked out, following closely behind Kagura. When they arrived at her car, Kagura opened the door and the boy let himself in. The car drove off into the night with no living witnesses.

-*-*-*-

Kagome was at work tirelessly making drinks. It had been four days since Inuyasha had dropped all of the information on her. She looked into the corner of the coffee shop and saw a young man. He had long brown hair that looked like it hadn't been washed in days. He was tall and lanky with full moon glasses and a greasy beard. He was reading a book, ordering a coffee every hour on the hour. She constantly caught him watching her, and when he talked to her, his British accent sounded horribly forced.

When the shop was about to close, Kagome began throwing away the pastries and wiping everything down. The man continued to read, even as Kagome made the final call. She was the only one closing that night. Her coworker usually closed with her, but she was feeling ill and went home early, leaving Kagome by herself. She knew the dangers, but she figured that Inuyasha or someone was watching the café closely.

What made her nervous was the guy in the café. His clothes were filthy and he was just so incredibly awkward. She was a little nervous around him. She had tried to indirectly ask him if he was one of the people tailing her for protection and he seemed completely oblivious. As she wiped down tables, she kept trying to hint that he needed to leave. Finally, after several subtle hints that the shop was closed, Kagome went to the table.

“Sir, I'm afraid it's past closing time. You're going to have to leave,” she said. The man looked up at her with a strange look.

He looked around and looked over at the street, seeing that the road was busy, as it always was. He stood up and instead of leaving, walked down the hall to the bathroom.

“Sir, you can't go in there!” she half cried, following him down the hall.

She walked into the bathroom to be faced by the man. His eyes flashed amber at her and he gave her a sly grin.

It took her a moment and she let out a sigh of relief. “I can't believe you did that,” she said angrily. “I dropped so many hints asking you if it was you, and you just completely ignored me.”

“Sorry, but I can't let on that you're being tailed,” he said, popping a sugar cube in his mouth. A moment later his hair turned silver and his eyes turned fully amber once more, his dog ears popping up on top of his head. He looked down at the greasy clothes. “Ugh, Jinenji gets the weirdest disguises. I need something more subtle next time.”

“Well can you at least give me a little heads up to know that someone is watching me? I've been so paranoid since the rave.”

“As you should be. We can't risk you letting your guard down. You're always going to be protected by someone, but we just don't want you to know who. And we'll easily change it up to distract you too.”

She was becoming even more frustrated. She threw her hands up and left the bathroom, walking through the shop to make sure it was empty, then locking the doors and closing the blinds. When all the blinds were closed, Inuyasha stepped out into the main part of the café.

“Do you need help? I saw your coworker leave early,” he said as he started putting chairs up.

“Yeah, if you don't mind,” she sighed. They finished closing pretty quickly, so when Kagome was counting the safe, Inuyasha was just sitting relaxed in the office, watching her.

“You know, you can look at something besides me,” she said exasperated. “It's really not a nice feeling to know someone is watching you non stop.”

He let out a chuckle. “It's hard to not watch you, especially after seeing that sexy little dress you wore to the fight. I know what goods you have, and I'm trying to imagine what you look like with nothing at all.”

His brazenness caught her completely off guard. He had never been that forward with her before, and it caused her to drop her pen.

“Oh my god, Inuyasha,” she said after a moment, her hand shaking.

“What? Am I wrong to think that? I see how you look at me. You're dying to get my clothes off,” he said to her, grinning broadly.

She gave him a dark look. “I do not think that,” she muttered, putting the bills into the safe and locking up the books.

She organized the desk and hung up her apron. Inuyasha stood up as well, watching her closely.

She had seen him every day since he dropped the bomb about being a detective. She had to admit, she liked him coming around more often. They would bicker back and forth, trying to ignore the fact that she was possibly in danger. She had two more days to give her response. She knew that if she were to help them, there's a good chance that she could be killed in the process.

At the same time though, she was far less of a loss than if it were someone else. She didn't have a family anymore. She came from a poor part of Chinatown on the other side of the country. The only friend she really had she found out was a cop who had read about her history without her knowledge.

As much as she hated to admit it, she wouldn't really be missed. She knew that she could help stop a serious problem and save people who would be missed, but selfishness was getting the best of her. Scratch that, she didn't want to think of it as selfishness, she thought of it more as self-preservation.

She pulled her hair out of the pony tail and let it fall. She felt the bald spots growing back in, but she found a way to have the bun cover the spots. With her hair down they were more visible, however she was getting a headache from how tight her hair was being held.

“Do you know if Jinenji has a hair growing potion so I can get these bald spots growing back in? I'm hating this,” Kagome asked. Inuyasha felt his pockets and pulled out a small brown paper pouch.

“Make this into tea. It will make your hair grow a full twelve inches. Including the bald patches. However,” he said, holding it above her head as she tried to snatch it. “There's a chance it'll make your leg hair grow that long too.”

He lowered it so she could grab it and she put it in her purse. “Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Might deter those pesky demons for a little bit. They're not looking for a werewolf.”

He laughed at that, but before she stepped out of the office, he grabbed her arm and pulled her to him, surprising her with a kiss. It was incredibly tender, causing her knees to melt. She leaned into it, holding onto his arms as she leaned into him.

When the kiss broke, they stared at each other for a moment. He didn't move at all when he spoke. “Come on, let's get you home.”

She thought about it for a minute. She didn't have classes on Thursdays and she didn't work the next day. She wasn't really able to go anywhere alone right now.

“Can I stay at your place tonight?” she said causally. He looked at her with raised eyebrows, a smug look on his face.

“I didn't know the kiss was that good for you.”

Her face turned bright red. “No! No! No! No! No! That is not what I meant! I don't have work or classes tomorrow and I'm tired of being cooped up in my dorm. Your apartment is so much nicer than my dorm. I'll happily sleep on the couch.”

“You can come over but only if you share the bed. I don't want Sango to get mad.”

He pulled out a vial of blue liquid and drank it, turning into the greasy british hippy from earlier. “You ready to go?”

She shook her head. “You look so nasty like that.”

“I know, but it blends better than being gorgeous.”

They walked the streets together, making their way the eight blocks to his apartment. She didn't realize just how close he lived to her work. They hit the button for the pent house and waited in the elevator quietly.

The doors opened and once they were inside, Kagome put her purse down and kicked her shoes off. Inuyasha bit into another sugar cube and was himself once more. Kagome was in the kitchen heating the tea kettle when Inuyasha walked in with no shirt.

“Ugh, I hate those damn clothes too. They smell awful,” he said as he opened the fridge, seeing nothing but condiments.

Kagome tried to ignore the view of his muscular backside, the rippling muscles or long silver mane. She was biting her lip, trying not to touch him.

“You know, maybe you should try grocery shopping, you might have food in the house then,” she commented. She was feeling rather warm in her shirt, but the only thing she had on underneath was a black lacy bra. She didn't want to tempt him, but at the same time, the kitchen was so damn warm.

“Can you turn on the air conditioning? It's really hot in here,” she commented. She was fanning her face while she was waiting for the water to boil.

“It is on, but it doesn't work that well,” he lied. He loved to tease her.

She caught the playfulness in his voice. “Ah well, hope you don't mind if I strip down a little bit.”

“Oh not at all. Mi casa, su casa,” He replied, leaving the kitchen. Kagome turned off the stove and poured the water for her tea. As the tea was brewing she took it to the living room and put it down on the coffee table. She took her shirt and pants off, leaving her in nothing but a black lace bra and black lace boy shorts. She peeled her socks off and picked up her tea. The tea turned dark quickly. There weren't instructions so she figured that it was to be drank like regular tea.

She took a sip and felt her scalp tingle. She didn't feel any other part of her tingle so she figured that she wouldn't have the lovely side effect of foot long leg hair, so she began to drink the tea. The more she drank, the more she felt her scalp tingle. She did start to feel her legs and armpit tingle, and towards the end of the cup she felt her top lip tingle just a little bit. She felt her head and the bald patches were gone, her hair almost to her knees now. She felt her legs tingle a little bit, and while the leg hair wasn't dangerously long, it looked like she hadn't shaved in a while. She sighed, it was better than nothing.

Inuyasha came around the corner and smiled. “Look at that, you look almost normal again.”

“Can you cut my hair shorter? This is just way too long.”

“Sure, just give me a minute.”

She went into the living room and put her pants back on, sitting on the couch waiting for him to get back. He called for her to go into the kitchen and he had a chair set up and a pair of scissors in his hands. She closed her eyes as he cut her hair. He cut off enough so it was a few inches longer than it was before the hair growth experiment.

“Much better,” she said, finger combing her hair. However, she didn't have any bangs. She thought about doing that right away, but figured she'd wait until she could see a hair dresser.

“I agree, I wasn't a fan of the bald spots,” he replied, which earned him a dark look.

“I don't care for you as a hippy.” He raised his eyebrows at her.

“I don't care for you clothed,” He said, looking down at her bra and smiling.

“I don't like you clothed either,” she said with a nervous laugh. He smiled at her and began to unzip his jeans, revealing that he wasn't wearing underwear.

He saw her cheeks turn red and stopped as he laughed. “Don't challenge if you can't handle it.”

She wanted to keep teasing him, but the butterflies in her stomach were becoming too much. She was starting to feel itchy, probably from cutting her hair.

“I'm uh, going to take a shower,” she said, going into the bathroom, leaving him behind laughing. As she stood in the shower, she began to think.

There was a very good chance that she might not surivive the next few months, no matter how much protection she was given. Inuyasha swore that no harm would come to her, and while she wanted to believe him, she knew that his promises were unrealistic. If she didn't help with the case, more people could die, and she would probably still be kidnapped or worse.

If she presented herself on a silver platter, she could manipulate the situation as needed for survival, but her mortality would still be at risk.

There's still so much I want to do with my life, she thought to herself. She wanted to fall in love, she wanted to graduate college, she wanted to travel the world. I want to know what good sex is, she sheepishly admitted to herself. She turned the water off and stepped out of the shower, looking at her undergarments and sighing. She didn't have any fresh clothes to change into.

She wrapped the towel around herself and stepped into Inuyasha's living room where he was enjoying a glass of wine on the couch. She quickly ran to his bedroom and went through his drawers, pulling out a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. She figured he wouldn't mind, at least this one time.

She stepped into the living room to see him staring at her, a look of surprise on his face. “Who said you could wear my clothes?”

She plopped down next to him, taking a long swig from the bottle of wine. “I did.”

“Do you want a glass?” he asked her. She was feeling a little brazen. She took his glass and drained it, putting it on the table. She didn't have a lot on her bucket list, but one of the things on it she could do this very night. At least, she could attempt. She was nervous, but the wine was helping. He watched her closely, trying to figure her out. She could tell she had thrown him for a loop, giving her just a little more courage as the warmth spread through her body.

“I'm good,” she said, her hand moving to trace the muscles on his chest. She avoided his eyes, knowing that if she thought too much about it, she'd lose her courage. She had wanted to be intimate with him since she first met him, but something always got in the way. Something always happened. She was determined that nothing stand in her way tonight. She decided that before she agree to risk her life, before her inevitable demise, that she was going to enjoy at least one night with Inuyasha. She was going to live a little. She wanted no regrets.

Her hand moved down his abs, feeling his muscles clench under her fingers. He stayed still as a statue. He wanted to see what she was going to do next. She looked very concentrated on her task, chewing on her bottom lip. He always loved when she chewed on her bottom lip. He wanted to reach out and kiss her, taking over, but he was curious as to how far her bravado went.

She took a deep breath, trying to figure out what to do next. Her fingers grazed the waistband of his jeans, lightly touching the treasure trial that promised so much more. She felt a light blush touch her cheeks as her hand moved across his stomach and down to his thigh. She finally looked up to meet his gaze. At that instant he kissed her, his arms pulling her halfway onto his lap, arms firmly wrapped around her waist in a crushing embrace.

She was pulled completely onto his lap, her hands free to wander his body as he deepened the kiss. Her hands moved to touch his ears, rubbing them gently as he let out a low moan. She could feel his excitement grow under her, causing her to flush her body more closely to his. She felt his hands move under the shirt, touching bare skin as he broke the kiss to nip at her neck. He lightly bit the base of her neck, letting a sigh escape her lips. She moved quickly to move her leg around him, straddling him, her back arching so she was completely flush to him. Her arms wrapped tightly around his neck, willing him to do more, unsure of how to proceed.

His hands moved to cup her breasts, kneading the flesh beneath his hands, playing with her hardened nipples. She body felt like it was on fire. She started to grind her hips on his, causing him to moan.

“Oh Kagome,” he whispered, kissing her neck as his hands moved down to her hips, squeezing them gently. She pulled the shirt over her head, throwing it to the floor. His mouth was on her breast instantly, lightly nipping the pointed flesh beneath his teeth.

“Inuyasha…” she moaned, clenching his broad shoulders. He broke away from her breast and kissed her again. She tasted as sweet as sin, causing him to become undone.

That's when his phone rang. “Ignore it,” he muttered against her lips, sitting straighter so he had better access to her mouth. Her legs wrapped around his torso, their bodies completely flush.

His phone rang again. He groaned as he broke the kiss. “Hang on,” he muttered, giving her a light peck as she got off his lap. He picked up the phone.

“What?” he barked.

“We need you to come in,” the police chief gasped. “A body was found, one of your missing girls.”

He groaned loudly. He wanted to kick and scream. He covered his face, biting back every profanity that came to mind. “All right, I'll be there soon.”

He hung up the phone, half tempted to throw it across the room. He turned to Kagome who was watching him closely. “I'm sorry,” he said, walking to his bedroom and finding a black tshirt. He found his badge and put it in his pocket, as well as his wallet and keys.

“One of the missing girls was found, I have to go in,” he explained. She had found the tshirt and put it back on, looking a little disappointed.

“I understand,” she said, her voice dripping with melancholy.

He leaned in and kissed her once more, a little more tenderly. “Don't worry, we'll pick up where we left off later.”

She blushed at the thought, causing him to give her a wolfish grin. “Don't leave the penthouse, you'll be safe here,” he told her, leaving the apartment and locking the door behind him.

She sighed, sitting on the couch. It seems like the universe was ensuring she'd never be happy.