InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own Inuyasha or anything related to him. Thank you.
 
Chapter One
 
 
Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi climbed the shrine steps. It was a beautiful day, and they were looking forward to it.
Today was Kagome's 19th birthday. They had planned over a month ago to spend the whole day together. So here it was seven a.m. and they were nearly there.
“What are we going to do first?” Ayumi asked.
“I think that breakfast will fill that spot in the schedule.” Eri replied.
“Let's have Kagome decide what's going on. It is her day after all.” Yuka said.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~
 
It wasn't supposed to happen this way. They were just coming back for a couple of days for her birthday.
They were nearly to the well when it happened. Attacked by a dozen youkai, one of them had four shards. FOUR! It was almost more than they could handle. They managed to pull through, but barely. Now she had another battle on her hands. This one to save Inuyasha.
He was barely conscious, leaning on her heavily. His jaw clenched and his eyes glazed with pain, he gasped with every breath.
They almost hadn't made it out of the well and well house. He was hurt so badly this time. Worse then she had ever seen him. With his left arm around her shoulders she struggled to get him to the house. She knew she wasn't going to make it on her own.
Desperation made her do the one thing she knew she shouldn't.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
 
They had nearly crested the steps when,
“MAMA!!” Kagome's desperate scream pealed across the shrine grounds.
They reached the top in time to see Mrs. Higurashi run past the Sacred Tree. With fear clawing at them, they ran after her. They were not prepared for what they saw when they caught up to her.
Standing in front of the well house was Kagome and Inuyasha. Both were covered in blood. His red haori and white kimono were nearly torn from his body. His left arm was around her shoulders, she clutched his wrist desperate to keep him from falling. She had her other arm around his waist and held her bow up against him.
Mrs. Higurashi held her hand to her mouth as she looked at the broken and bleeding form of the man she loved like her son.
Though he still clutched Tessaiga his right arm hung useless at his side. There was a gaping wound just above his right hip and a multitude of deep lacerations across his chest. Also it looked like a spike had been driven into his right shoulder, and his left leg wouldn't hold his weight.
“Kagome, what do you need me to do?” Her mom asked, desperate to help the pair.
“Stay there, he turned full youkai before we got out of there. I don't know what he'll do yet.”
Youkai!? The girls thought, as Kagome looked at Inuyasha.
“Inuyasha?” Her voice was gentle and pleading.
“Mate?” His voice was deep, hoarse, and growling. Vastly different from what any there but Kagome had heard before.
“Mama's here to help.” In that same gentle tone.
When he lifted his head Ayumi clamped her hands over her mouth so as not to scream.
Inuyasha's eyes were blood red, the irises ice blue, and his cheeks slashed with jagged purple stripes. His eyes focused on Mrs. Higurashi.
“Mama,” he growled, “help.” He nodded.
“Yes, Mama help.” Kagome sighed. As she looked past her mom her eyes widened, and she swallowed her shock.
“Inuyasha, friends?”
He pulled his head up a bit further.
“Friends help.” He leaned onto her more, his head dropping again.
Her mom rushed forward and pulled his other arm over her shoulders. Her heart wrenched at his pain filled groan. Kagome straightened and they started toward the house. Yuka shook off her shock and hurried after them.
“Kagome? Tell me how to help.” There was a wide thread of panic in her voice.
“Help lift him onto the table when we get him inside. I have to get his bleeding stopped and get him bandaged up.” She gritted through clenched teeth. “Tell Eri to get my bag. I left it by the well house.”
Yuka turned but Eri was already on the way to get it.
They hurried after Kagome and her mom. Determined to help in any way they can. Once they're inside it takes the five of them to lift Inuyasha onto the table.
As Kagome pulled what was left of his haori and kimono from him Souta came sliding into the room.
“Mama, I thought I heard sis…” Mouth open, and eyes wide, he slid to a stop with a gasp.
Inuyasha turned his red glazed gaze on him.
“Inu… Inuyasha?” Souta breathed looking at the broken and bleeding form of his hero. Of the man he thought of as his brother.
“Souta, little brother.” Inuyasha growled as his eyes slide closed.
“Souta, I need you to stand by his head and talk to him.”
“Sis, are you…?”
“Yes, I'm sure. I need him calm, so talk to him quietly and rub his ears.” Kagome said as she wiped some of the blood from Inuyasha's stomach.
“Kagome, you want me to rub his ears!”
“Yes I do.” She handed the bloodied cloth to her mom and took a clean one from her. “It helps to keep dogs and other animals from going into shock. Maybe it will do the same for him, being an Inu Hanyou.”
As Souta moved to Inuyasha's head Kagome looked at her friends,
“Ayumi, in my bag,” she nodded to where it lay, “is my first aid kit. I need the bandages and the small clay pot out of it.”
“Okay.” As Ayumi rummaged in the yellow bag Eri went to Kagome.
“Are you hurt too?” She asked.
“There's a gash on my arm that can wait.” Her voice is filled with a determination that the three have never heard before.
“Here Kagome,” Ayumi held out the requested items. Kagome nodded her thanks.
“Hand the bandages to Mama, open the jar, and set it next to me.”
As Ayumi set the jar down, Kagome gave the horrible wound in his side a final look. She quickly wiped his blood from her hands, dipped some salve from the jar, and spread it over the wound.
With a growl and a jerk Inuyasha came to. From where they stood the girls could see that his eyes were amber again and the stripes gone.
“K-Kagome?” He rasped. She went to stand by his head and pushed his bangs away from his eyes. She hated the pain she saw in them.
“I'm here Inuyasha. How do you feel?”
“Hell of a lot worse than when that damn bastard put his hand through my gut.” He took a ragged breath, and a small amount of blood flowed from the corner of his mouth. Kagome wiped it away.
“What happened? I don't remember much, I can smell your blood. D-did I-I hurt you?” He asked her, his voice filled with a desperate fear.
“No!” She went back to his side with a clean cloth and started cleaning the wounds on his chest.
“No, when the youkai slammed you into the tree another one grabbed me, and I screamed.” She took a deep breath. “It awakened your blood full force.”
“What…?”
“You were still holding Tessaiga,” her voice was quiet. Inuyasha gasped and flinched in pain.
“No, it's supposed to seal my youkai blood. How!? Why!? I don't understand!”
“When I screamed for you, you came to and you were transformed.” She took a deep breath and smeared salve on his chest. His back arched nearly off the table.
“I'm sorry,” she gasped and touched his face.
“H-h-has to be done.” He panted, more blood trickling from his mouth. Souta grabbed a damp rag from his mom.
“Inuyasha?”
He lifted his eyes to Souta's, as he wiped the blood away.
“Punctured my right lung little brother,” he stated, heard Kagome's friends gasp, and looked over. “What the fuck are you doing here?” He growled faintly.
“We came for Kagome's birthday,” Eri whispered.
“We helped get you in the house,” Yuka said.
“We're helping when she needs us to,” Ayumi added.
“Keh, stay out of the way.”
They nodded, and Inuyasha looked back up at Souta.
“Oi, quit touching my ears.”
“But sis said it would help you.”
“Not the point,” he coughed up a bit more blood. “I don't like my ears touched, by anyone, except Kagome.” He finished in a whisper as his eyes met hers.
She gave him a gentle smile and ran the tip of her finger along the edge of his ear. When she did that her friends finally noticed his ears. Though they each had different reactions to them, they quickly understood why Kagome seemed to like them so much.
“Damn it wench, stop that.” He said growling again, which caused more coughing and blood flow.
“Kagome, there is a man outside asking for you.” Her grandfather called as he came into the crowded kitchen. “What happened!?” He stopped, looking at Inuyasha and his granddaughter in shock.
“They were attacked by youkai,” said a cold cultured voice from the doorway.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
“Do you think that Inuyasha will be okay?” Sango asked.
“He's strong and Kagome will take care of him.” Miroku answered. He looked at the Shikon shards in his hand. “I'm glad that she took the time to tell us where these were before pulling him through the well with her.”
“It is amazing she did, she was so worried about him. Did you hear what he said when the youkai had a hold of her?” She looked at him her eyes a bit wide.
“Yes, he told it to get its hands off his mate. Did you see that he was transformed, even with the Tessaiga?”
“Yes,” she nodded. “Do you think that his youkai sees her that way?”
“I do. Maybe this will be good for them?” He gave her a lecherous look.
“Hentai,” she mumbled. “Have you seen Shippo?”
“No, I …”
Suddenly the little fox was on Miroku's shoulder.
“Can I have them, please?” He asked a pleading note in his voice.
“Why Shippo?” He asked in surprise. “What would you need them for?”
“I want to try to follow Mama and Papa!” The child said earnestly.
“Papa!!” Miroku and Sango exclaimed together.
“You've called Kagome Mama for awhile now, when did you start calling Inuyasha Papa?” Sango inquired.
“He's going to be Mama's mate. So that makes him my Papa. Can I please have them?” He begged again.
“That makes sense.” Miroku said. “But you can't follow them Shippo. The well won't let anyone else through. Why do you think it would be different this time?”
“I have a strange feeling and the well smells different.”
“Different, different how?” Sango said.
“Like it's weaker, I ran and asked Keade about it, she said that it may be closing. And that if I try now I may get through. And that it could work better if I have the shards.”
“If it closes now…” Sango looked stricken.
“I will lose my parents again. Please, please let me try. I would rather be there with them then here without them.” Tears ran down his face. “I said goodbye to Keade already.” He looked at them both. “Please Aunt Sango, Uncle Miroku, I need to try.”
Sango looked at Miroku; they both nodded and ran for the well.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
 
Shippo stood on the edge of the well and took a last look at his Aunt and Uncle. He had wanted to tell them for so long that he wanted to call them that. It had taken the fear of losing his parents again for him to get the courage to do it.
With his eyes tightly shut, the shards clutched in his fist, and a prayer he jumped into the well.
“Please let me through so I can be with Mama and Papa.” His young heart begged as the blue light of the time slip engulfed him.