InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 24

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Four
 
As the plane taxied to a stop in front of some small hangers Kagome looked out the window. Sitting on the tarmac, in front of the nearest hanger, was a dark gray limo. Standing next to the long car was an older man wearing thick glasses. He rocked from one foot to the other, nervousness written in his every movement.
The pilot announced that they could unbuckle and that he hoped their flight had been pleasant. Inuyasha grumbled that it was about damn time and could they please get off this damn thing. Kagome just shook her head. She knew he hadn't meant for anyone to hear him.
She waited while the attendant opened the door. She walked down the stairs with Shippo in her arms and was met by the elderly man.
“Miss Kagome Higurashi?” His voice had a timid quality too it.
“Yes,” she bowed.
“I am Mr. Sims. I have been sent to fetch you and your family.” He looked at the group who was standing behind her. He was a bit unnerved by the young man with the white hair and golden eyes.
“Thank you very much. Did Fawn call you?”
“No,” he waved off her question. “No, the Lady Shadara called and said I was to be here at noon today to pick you up.”
`Lady?' The thought went through everyone's mind. It seemed a strange way to address her.
“If you would be so kind as to enter the car I will make sure your baggage is loaded.” The little man said.
“That's quite alright we'll get it,” Miroku's voice was cheerful as he turned to help the crew unload.
Ten minutes later they were on their way.
“I'm hungry Mama.” Shippo said.
“There are drinks in the mini fridge and crackers in the neighboring compartment.” Mr. Sims said from the driver's seat.
“Thank you,” Kagome replied as she pulled out a small bottle of milk. “Mr. Sims?”
“Yes miss?”
“How long will it be until we reach the ranch?”
“Just over an hour, My Lady requested that we make no stops. Miss Fawn, Miss Brook, and Miss Annie are preparing lunch. It will be ready when you arrive.”
“Thank you Mr. Sims.”
“You're welcome.” He nodded and rolled up the privacy screen.
“Will the crackers be enough till we get there?” She asked Shippo a bright smile on her face.
“Uh uh,” He nodded; he had a cracker in each hand and one in his mouth. After swallowing, “What kind of crackers are these Mama? They're really good.”
“They're graham crackers Shippo,” Sango said. “They're very popular here in America. My favorite way to eat them is with peanut butter on them.” She plucked a cracker from the package.
Kagome grabbed one as well.
“They are good.”
Two boxes of crackers and six bottles of milk later everyone fell to looking out the windows. Everyone but Shippo, he was curled up asleep in Inuyasha's lap.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
Just over an hour later the car turned off the road and stopped in front of a massive black metal gate. Sims rolled down his window and punched a series of numbers into a key pad. The gate split and smoothly swung open.
The privacy screen came down.
“Not long now Miss,” the old man said.
Kagome nodded and looked out the windshield.
“Thank you. How long is the driveway?”
“Nearly four miles, Miss.”
“Holy cow, that's a long way. Is all of it cobbled stone? It's making the ride a little bumpy.”
“It is, My Lady had it done shortly after she purchased the property.” He replied. “If you would sit back Miss I shall put the screen back up.”
“Why do you want it back up?” Kagome asked as she pulled back from leaning on the partition.
“Because My Lady was very strict in her orders, I was to retrieve you with as little conversation as possible. And I wish to keep my head where it is Miss. Lady Shadara has quite the temper when riled.” He shuttered.
“Kagome leave the old guy alone,” Inuyasha said. “He's afraid of her.”
“Okay. Sorry Mr. Sims. I hope I don't get you into any trouble.”
“You are forgiven young miss.” He said with a slight smile and rolled the screen up.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
 
Fawn's short and somewhat erratic video had not truly prepared them for the massive house they pulled up to.
“Mama, it's like a castle.” Shippo said in awe. The bumping of the car over the cobbled drive had woken him.
“Yes baby it is.” Kagome agreed.
The two story log home was `L' shaped. With a full screened in veranda and balcony, to say the structure was intimidating was an understatement.
The long car came to a stop between the house and a large, black, Ford crew-cab pick-up with emerald pin striping. Kagome had a feeling that it was Shadara's.
Kagome was quick to climb over her mate to get to the car door. She could see Fawn standing at the top of the stairs. And she wasn't standing still. She was bouncing. A lot.
She barely had her feet on the ground before Fawn nearly tackled her with a flying hug and a shriek.
“You're finally here!!”
“Did you think we wouldn't make it?” Kagome laughed at her friend.
“I knew you would make it. It just took foreeever is all.” She let go of Kagome and gave her a look over. “I pictured you taller for some reason.” She smiled.
“I thought you were taller too.” Fawn was at least two inches shorter then her.
“The rest of us would like to get out of this thing wench.” Inuyasha said as he pushed her out of the way.
Fawn stepped back and watched as he stepped out of the car. Then she gave a sharp whistle.
“Damn Kagome, you weren't kidding when you said he was cute. He's better then cute, he's gorgeous.” Inuyasha blushed furiously at her words and stepped behind Kagome. “Oh! He's shy too. Way cool. Don't worry I won't hit on you, you're taken.” She smiled again and waved her hands.
“Taken?” He looked at his mate with a raised eyebrow. Kagome snaked her arms around his waist.
“She means that you're mine and she knows it.”
“Good.” He was still a bit unnerved by Fawn's words as he realized that two of her friends had said he looked nice, in less than a week no less. Only Kagome had ever said she liked how he looked. He had thought she was just saying it because she loved him. Maybe she said it because he did look nice. He would have to ask her later.
“Okay let's unload,” Fawn said, and then ran around the car. “Hey Sims?”
“Yes Miss Fawn?”
“I was thinking that it might be a good idea if you cleared out as soon as we're done. She's not in the best mood today. A client was scheduled to be here two hours ago. Hasn't shown yet and hasn't called either.”
“She's going to be livid,” his face paled at the thought. “Yes I shall leave once the car is emptied. Thank you for the warning.”
“No problem.” She turned to the group at the end of the car. “All set?”
“Now we are,” Sango replied as she closed the trunk.
“Alright everyone up the stairs, lunch is laid out and there are still intros to go through.” She skipped over, grabbed a couple of bags, and ran up the stairs.
They were soon seated at a long table on the veranda. They had been introduced to Brook and Annie. Everyone had smiled and said hello, and now they were talking over a well spread table. They were interrupted by a car pulling up.
It was a small really non-descript white four door. A woman with short bleach-blond hair stepped out and walked up the stairs. She smiled brightly when she saw them.
“Oh hello, I was wondering if you could tell me where I might find Miss Shadara.” Her voice had a slight condescending tone.
“Mrs. Alton you will remove yourself from my porch.” Shadara's silken angry voice came from the drive way.
Everyone stood and looked over the railing as the woman turned.
“Oh there you are.” Mrs. Alton said her voice disgustingly bright.
Shadara's emerald eyes turned black with rage.
“Oh shit,” Fawn whispered.
Inuyasha watched the angry young woman. He could smell blood on her, and he was sure it was her own.
The blond woman took her time going down the stairs. With each slow step she took Shadara's expression grew darker.
“You are two hours late.” Her voice was cold now, colder than Sesshoumaru's.
“I'm sorry, it couldn't be helped. I got stuck in traffic.”
“You're lying.”
“What?! You dare to accuse me of…”
“I shall dare whatever I wish.” Shadara cut her off. “You had no trouble with traffic. You are late because you are inconsiderate.” She shook her left hand and blood splattered onto the ground. “You have one hour to remove your horse from my property or he will be put down.”
The blond stood there, shock written across her face.
“What are you talking about? You can't kill him.”
“If he is still here in one hour I will have a vet put him down.” She stood perfectly still.
“B-but why,” there was a frantic tone in her voice.
“Because the animal is dangerous, and I will not have someone injured due to your foolishness.”
“What?! He would never hurt anyone.”
Shadara growled, truly growled from deep in her chest. She lifted her bleeding arm and pointed at the watching group.
“What do you see up there?” She asked.
“I see people, why?” She was confused.
“I see a child, and I see inexperience. One wrong move by anyone up there near your horse could get one of them killed.”
“He would never hurt anyone!” She said again, this time a little desperately.
“Then explain this,” Shadara snapped. She grabbed the top of her sleeve and ripped it. The black fabric didn't show the blood, but her copper skin did.
The tattered remains of her sleeve hung on her forearm, held in place by her van brace. With the concealing fabric gone it was easy to see the eight inch long gash along the outside of her arm.
The blonds' eyes were wide.
“He didn't,” she shook her head.
“HE DID!!” Shadara roared and tore the fabric away.
“B-b-but.”
“No! Two of my best hands held him, a rope on each side of his halter. And still the monster spun and stuck me. HE STRUCK ME! Do you get that? His fore feet left the ground and he lashed out. The men were thrown against a wall. I had to loop a rope around his hind legs and pull him to the ground. I jumped on his head trying to hold him down. He threw me into a wall. It took four men to hold him long enough for me to pump him full of tranquilizer. I will not have him here. Is that clear?” She trembled with rage.
“But there's not another stable with in a hundred miles that will take him.” The woman was crying. “I don't want him to die.”
Shadara dropped her head for a moment and took a deep breath.
“He gets put down or you sell him to me.”
“What?”
“He gets put down or you sell him to me. I will not say it again.” Her voice was icy again.
“But.”
“It is the only way to ensure that he lives. How much did you pay for him?”
“Twenty-five hundred.”
“Brook, Annie, take Mrs. Alton to the office. Write out a bill of sale. Make three copies, all of you sign them. Give her the amount she quoted, and once she is off the property void her key code.”
“Yes Shadara.” Brook said.
She and Annie hustled the woman into her car and drove past the house. Once the car was out of sight she spoke again.
“Fawn call down to the barn, tell the men to rope that gelding and take him up to the top one-hundred. They are to turn him lose with the mustangs. Then bring me the suture kit.”
“I'll hurry.”
“Thank you.” She tilted her head back, closed her eyes, and became still.