InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 23

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Three
 
“Okay I'm sure you're relatively freaked out now. Cause I'm sure that you looked at the pics before you popped this disk into your player.” Fawn smiled at the camera as she spoke. “Sorry about that. When I told Shadara that I wanted to take pictures and send them to you one of her conditions was the one with the boys. I had intended on introducing them so to speak on this video. Sorry about that.
“Anyway about the boys, the wolf is Kit and the tiger is Sagonige. Everyone say it real slow Sah-ko-nee-gay. Most of us call him Sa for short because holy crap his name is a mouthful.
“Okay change of subject. I'm making this to introduce you to everyone and to give you an idea as to where everything is. That way when you come out you won't get lost too many times. It's an easy thing to do around here this place is huge. So let's start the tour.”
She turned the camera and focused it on a huge two story log home. They sat and watched in awe as Fawn showed them where she lived. She started with the large wrap around screened porch. Through the double front doors was a massive living room with soaring ceilings, the room was open to the rafters thirty-five feet up, and it was flooded with sunlight from large sky lights.
Across from the door was a large fire place. To the right of it was a large and well appointed kitchen.
Soon their heads were nearly spinning from the sheer size of it. There was simply too much to take in at once. They were near the end of the tour. And it boiled down to a ten bedroom, five bathroom, monster of a house. There was a media room, a formal dining room, pantry, and mudroom.
Fawn had just walked back into the living room after panning across a magnificent library when she ran into Brook.
“Fawn what are you doing?”
“I'm making a video for Kagome. That way when she comes to visit she won't get too lost, and she'll know who everyone is.”
“She already knows who everyone is. You took all those pictures for her to see right?”
“Yeah but it would still be nice for everyone to say hello.”
Brook looked at the camera her grey eyes flashing with amusement. She gave a slight wave.
“Hello Kagome. As you know I'm Brook, I'm the serious one out of this group.”
“I think Shadara has that one already covered.” Fawn piped in. Brook's eyes lost their laughter.
“Fawn what are you?” Her voice was quiet and just touched with pain.
“That's easy, I'm joy, and Annie's innocence, and you're level headedness, and Shadara is…” Brook cut her off.
“Broken,” There was true pain in her voice now.
“Brook I,” Fawn started, her voice mellowed.
“Now if you'll excuse me I need to go and get my ass ran all over the practice field.”
“I was going to say that Shadara is determined, fierce, protective, and loyal.” She turned the camera and looked into it. “You know Kagome you're getting a bit more of a candid look then I had planned. Since I don't know how to edit this that bit with Brook is getting left on here. Which means more questions when I hear from you or when you get here? As of right now though I say we go watch the fight. It'll be fun to watch Brook get run all over the place.” Her bright smile was back in place.
Kagome paused the disk and looked around. Sesshoumaru and Rin had left just before they started the video so it was just the pack and her family there.
“What do you think Mama?”
“Well Honey, Fawn seems like a very nice and happy young woman. And Brook seems nice as well. I am worried about their friend though. After what Brook said about her I am even surer of you going.”
“Why?” She was a bit confused by her mother's words.
“Because you're very good at helping repair broken people.”
“Keh, she's right Kagome.” Inuyasha took her hand in his. “You fixed me.”
“Me too,” Shippo said from his place in her lap.
“In one way or another,” Miroku said, “you have repaired all of us. I had no family, and Sango had just lost hers. You gave us what we had lost.”
“It's true,” Sango added, “Whether or not you can fix something in Shadara I think you should try to help her.”
“What if there's nothing I can do?”
“Then we do as her friends have done and be there when she needs someone to be.”
Inuyasha looked around at everyone and nodded.
“So we go, even if this woman is one scary bitch.”
“Inuyasha!” Kagome slapped his shoulder. “Be nice.”
“Hush wench, and make it go again,” he waved at the TV, “I want to see her fight.”
“Alright,” She pushed play.
The screen went dark for a second and then was filled with a fenced field.
“Okay we skipped the walk here,” Fawn said. “I didn't think you'd enjoy it much. This place is better seen with your own eyes. Anyway on with the show,” She chuckled a bit as she focused the camera on the center of the field.
Standing facing each other were Brook and Shadara. Brook held a short sword in each hand. Shadara held no weapon though she still wore her sword. She was wearing a black long sleeved, button down shirt, and black jeans. And her forearms were clad in black leather van braces.
Brook was wearing blue jeans and a grey t-shirt.
“Just in case you're wondering. Yes they're using real very sharp blades. As for protective gear, not needed. Brooks not good enough to score a hit on Shadara, and Shadara is too good to hit anywhere she doesn't want to.” As her whispered words ended Brook rushed her friend.
It was a full five minutes before Shadara drew her sword. She had spent that time spinning, dodging, and deflecting Brook's blows. A few times she simply jumped straight up and flipped over the other woman. At one point she caught both of the red heads blades in a downward cross with her braces and held. Brook struggled to pull her blades away and couldn't do it.
“Very good. Again,” Shadara's voice was smooth as silk, and held an unexpected warmth.
Brook nodded as the stronger woman released her and flipped away. They went through the pattern again, ending with the same result. Shadara nodded her approval of her friend's progress, and then pulled her blade with a steely hiss.
“Damn she's good,” Inuyasha said with admiration.
It hadn't been a joke when Brook had said she would get run all over the field. Shadara perused her mercilessly, the ring of clashing steel never stopped, and Brook never was able to take the offensive. No matter where she turned, how she spun or dodged. Shadara was there first. It was about ten minutes later that she pulled back and let the red head breathe.
Brook sheathed her twin blades in the scabbards strapped to her back, put her hands on her knees, and took several deep breathes. Shadara put her own blade away. There was a slight smile pulling at her mouth and her eyes shown.
“You did well my friend, you have improved.” Her voice was warm as she complimented the tired woman.
“Doesn't feel like it.” Brook complained.
Shadara looked like she was going to say something when her emerald eyes darkened in rage. Her head whipped around and Fawn followed her gaze to the right.
Standing just inside the fence, hands cradled to her thin chest, and silently crying was Annie. When Shadara came back into the frame her face had softened, her eyes had not.
“Annie what is it, who has made you cry?” From her tone you knew that whoever had would regret it.
“H-h-he d-didn't even breathe,” she sobbed and held out her hands. Lying in her cupped palms was a tiny, wet, newborn kitten.
“Shhh,” Shadara pulled Annie into her arms. “I'm sorry baby,” she stroked the shorter girl's hair. “It'll be alright little sister. How long?” Her voice was soft and soothing.
“A f-few m-minutes. I-I think.”
“There may still be hope. Let us hurry.” She released Annie and climbed through the fence.
Once Annie had followed her she took her hand and they hurried off.
“Okay I think that's it, I'll give you a proper tour when you get here. At least you got to see her soft side sneak out.” Fawn was looking at the camera again. “I told you it was there. Anyway tell everyone I said hi and hopefully I'll see you soon.” The screen went black again.
“Shadara's innocence,” Kagome said softly, “I think I understand what Fawn meant by that now.”
Sango nodded in agreement.
“Did you see how quickly she flipped?” She asked.
“Yes,” Miroku answered. “One second she was tense and enraged the next she was completely focused on helping her friend. Amazing,” He shook his head just a bit.
“She gets pissed faster than I do.” Inuyasha added.
“So shall we take our weapons?” Miroku asked. “It would be nice to spar with someone so skilled.”
“I'm not going anywhere without the Tessaiga. You want to get your ass kicked go for it monk.”
Kagome tapped her finger against her chin.
“Did any one notice anything strange about after the fight?”
“You mean beside the nearly violent mood swing?” Sango asked.
“Yeah.”
“No.”
“What was Brook doing after she put her swords away?” Kagome had a curious look on her face.
“Resting wench, what of it? Anyone would be after a fight like that.” Inuyasha commented.
“Exactly, now what was Shadara doing?”
Sango's eyes widened.
“Nothing,” she looked at Kagome who nodded. “She was standing there perfectly calm. She wasn't sweating, she wasn't even breathing hard. She ran, jumped, dodged, leapt, and flipped all over that field. And wasn't winded at all,” She shook her head. “Even I would be winded after that. It's amazing Brook lasted as long as she did.”
“Do you think it's possible that she's not human?” Miroku asked.
“It's possible,” Inuyasha shrugged. “We'll have to wait and see.”
“It was nice to see her worried about Annie.” Kagome said.
“Feh, good thing it wasn't a person made the girl cry. Shadara would've gutted `em.”
“Mama I like her,” a sleepy Shippo said from Kagome's lap.
“Why is that baby?” She ran her fingers through his hair.
“Well when she was practicing with the red haired lady.”
“Brook.”
“Yeah, with Brook she was really careful. She was fast and she tapped her with the flat of her blade but never very hard. She never made fun of her, she didn't say mean things. When Brook messed up she tapped her and went on. When she did talk she told Brook she was doing good. And when the other girl,” he looked to her for a name.
“Annie.”
“Thanks Mama. When Annie was crying she wanted to protect her. Like you protect me when I'm crying, or Grandma protects you.” He snuggled into her arms.
“You gave that a lot of thought runt.” Inuyasha grinned at his son.
“She's a nice lady Papa, I just know it. She's just angry. I think she's been hurt really bad.” He yawned and his eyes slipped closed. “Like Aunt Sango was.”
Kagome hugged the sleeping child and kissed his forehead.
“Out of the mouths of babes,” She whispered.
“What does that mean?” Her mate asked.
“It's a Christian saying,” her mom, who had been quiet till now, said. “It means that sometimes a child can see clearer than an adult. Because their perceptions of the world haven't been warped,” She stood. “I think that Shippo's right dear. That young woman is hurting. Human or not she still needs friends.”
“I agree Mama.” She smiled up at her mom.
“Is it alright if I put him to bed for you?”
At Kagome's nod she pulled her grandson into her arms and carried him upstairs.
Kagome stood and stretched.
“Time for bed. Let's get some rest there's a lot to do before Friday.”