InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 22

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Two
 
“Mama, we're back,” Kagome called as she opened the door.
Mrs. Higurashi hurried down the stairs and pulled her daughter into her arms.
“You're home so soon. I was going to call you in awhile to check on how you're doing.”
“I'm fine Mama,” she hugged her back tightly.
Mrs. Higurashi pulled back and laid her hand on Kagome's cheek.
“Are you sure darling? It was only yesterday morning after all.” Her concern was etched deeply in her eyes. Her eyebrows rose when Kagome gave her a dazzling smile.
“I'm totally and completely happy. I want you to meet some people Mama.” She let go of her mother and turned to the group behind her. As she lifted a hand a man and woman stepped forward.
Mrs. Higurashi covered her mouth with her hand in shock.
“Mama this is…”
“Sango, Miroku,” she choked out. She looked at the fire neko on Sango's shoulder. “And Kirara.”
“How?” Sango was bewildered.
“Oh, dear I recognize you from pictures Kagome has taken.” She stepped forward and pulled Sango into her arms. She reached over and grasp Miroku's arm. “I don't care how you got here, you've made my baby happy again, and that's all that matters.”
Sango laid her head on Mrs. Higurashi's shoulder, and sighed.
“You were right Kagome. I like her. Makes me think of my mother.” She sniffed just a little.
“What's wrong Sango?” Kagome's mom asked.
“It's been five-hundred years since I've had a motherly hug.” Her voice was soft.
“That's much too long,” she hugged Sango tighter and stroked her hair. “I'll be here for has many mom hugs as you need.” She looked around at the group. “That applies to all of you.”
Inuyasha snorted.
“I doubt Sess will go for that. He'll probably spout some crap about youkai not needing to be hugged as children.” He looked at his brother.
“Close your mouth half-breed before you show your lack of intelligence.” Though his voice was smooth and chilly his eyes had a mischievous glint in them.
“Keh, whatever bastard,” Inuyasha replied with a smile.
“Stop that boys,” Mrs. Higurashi scolded playfully as she released Sango. “I would like if someone would explain how these three are standing in my living room.”
As she sat in her rocker the door burst open and Souta came barreling in.
“Mama there's limo parked out front is Sis back? Oh, hi Kagome,” He hurried toward her and for the first time in years he hugged her in front of witnesses. “You okay now?”
“I'm wonderful Souta.” She hugged him and marveled at how tall he had gotten. “I want you to meet my friends.” She turned him around, and smiled at his wide eyed expression.
“No way,” he breathed. “It's Sango, Miroku, and Kirara right Sis?”
“Yep.”
“Right on, this is going to be good.” He walked over to his mom's chair and flopped down at her feet. “On with the story.”
Kagome shook her head and sat on the couch. She didn't stay there long for Inuyasha picked her up, stole her spot, and set her in his lap. As she got comfortable she watched Shippo climb in her mom's lap. Soon everyone was settled.
They took turns explaining everything that had happened since the day before. Shippo was very excited as he told about them slaying the youkai.
“Mama let her last arrow go and Papa did the Kaze no Kizu at the same time. It was great! I was sitting on Kirara so I got a good view. The blast was huge.”
Mrs. Higurashi chuckled as he waved his arms as he explained. She hugged him close.
“That was wonderful dear. How about letting your Mama finish?”
“Okay Grandma,” he yawned and snuggled against her.
A bit further into the tale Souta interrupted.
“So who won at Driver?”
“Feh, the bastard did.”
That earned a room wide laugh.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
“So I called Fawn just before we left and told her we'll be there Friday.” Kagome said.
“That's wonderful honey. How long are you going to be gone?” Her mom asked.
“She wants us to stay a month. Do you think that's too long?”
“Not at all, it's your first trip to America after all, there's a lot to see.” She smiled at her daughter. “There are a couple of things that I'm worried about though.”
“What's that Mama?”
“One is Shippo's tail,” she gave it a playful tug. “It's adorable, but most will react badly to it. The other thing is that neither Inuyasha nor Shippo speak English.”
“I'm not sure what to do about either one.”
“I have a solution, little sister.” Sesshoumaru stood and pulled something from his pocket. “The Kitsune use these for their kits until they are strong enough to disguise themselves.” He glided over to Shippo and slipped a gold chain around the child's neck.
Instantly his tail was gone, his ears were more rounded, and his fangs and claws looked like normal teeth and nails.
“It is only an illusion. This,” he held up a small gold ring, and then clipped it onto the chain, “is a charm that allows you to understand and speak another language. This one is for American English. You will still have an accent.” He straitened and turned.
“Thank you Sesshoumaru.” Shippo said a bit timidly. For though he liked the new Sesshoumaru the Taiyoukai still made him nervous at times.
“My brother has claimed you as his son. You may call me `Uncle' if you wish.”
“Thank you Uncle.”
“You're welcome.” He sat on couch once again. There was a slight smile pulling at his mouth from observing the shocked look on his brother's face.
“Do have another charm for Inuyasha?” Kagome asked.
“I do. There is a problem though.”
“What problem?” She was a little worried.
“There is only one youkai who makes these charms at this time. I was only able to obtain two. The problem is the second one is an earring, very similar to the monk's.”
“WHAT!?” Inuyasha yelled and covered his ears with his hands. “You're not sticking a piece of metal through my ear!” He snarled and bared his fangs at his brother.
Kagome just shook her head at her mate.
“May I see the charm?” She looked at Sesshoumaru and held out her hand.
He lifted his arm and dropped the ring into her hand.
“Move your hands Inuyasha.” She said quietly. He shook his head.
“No way wench.”
“I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to see what it would look like.” She pulled on his wrists. “Now move your hands.” At her tone he was very glad that she couldn't `sit' him anymore.
“I know what you're thinking. Even if I could I wouldn't, now move them.”
“Keh, fine,” He put his arms back around her.
“Thank you,” she gave him a quick kiss and held the ring up to his ear.
The ring was silver and a little over half an inch across. She held it about an inch below the outside of his right ear.
“You should wear it big brother.” Souta said. “It looks cool.”
“I agree it looks very nice,” Mrs. Higurashi said.
“What do you think wench?”
She smiled at his gruff question. Then she blushed.
“I think it looks sexy.” She blushed even harder.
His eyes lit up and he smiled.
“Alright on one condition.”
“What?” She asked.
He turned and looked at his brother.
“You do it.”
Sesshoumaru raised one elegant brow.
“Are you sure, little brother?”
“Yeah, your claws are sharper than anything else around here. Just watch the poison.”
“Of course.”
He stood and walked behind the couch to stand behind Inuyasha.
“Where?”
“Wherever Kagome wants it.”
She gave him a quick kiss.
“Right here about three-eighths of an inch from the edge.”
Inuyasha trembled just a bit as he kept his ears still. It was a fight not to pin them back to protect them. When he felt his brother take hold of the tip of the right one he fought not to whimper. He knew Kagome could feel how nervous he was, but he couldn't help it.
Kagome felt her mate tremble also the wave of nervousness he tried to suppress. She lifted her free hand and rubbed the base of his left ear trying to comfort him.
When he felt her fingers on his ear he calmed almost instantly. He knew that she was always gentle when she touched them. His eyes slid closed as she continued to rub. Just as he was starting to rumble he felt a sharp pain in his right ear and whimpered. Seconds later she was rubbing that one too and everything was okay again.
“It will heal shortly.” Sesshoumaru said as he sat down.
“Thanks Sess, sorry about being so tense,” He let his head fall forward as Kagome kept rubbing his ears.
She almost laughed at him apologizing to his brother. He was always so calm, almost docile, when she rubbed his ears.
“I understand little brother.”
“How?”
“I got more than just your memories of Grandmother.”
“Oh.” He knew he should be upset and ashamed of what his brother knew, he just couldn't bring himself to be while his mate rubbed his ears though.
Deciding his conversation with his brother was over he started rumbling. It had been hard to hold back, but he couldn't talk and rumble at the same time.
When she was sure he was relaxed Kagome stopped rubbing his ears.
“Oi wench, don't stop,” he pushed his head against her shoulder.
“I have to. I'm going to fall asleep if you keep doing that. We have a few more things to talk about, but I'll rub them again later okay.”
“Promise,” she barely heard the whispered word.
“Yes,” she gave him a hug and then turned around.
“If it's alright Mama we'd like to stay here till we leave on Friday?”
“Of course it's alright. Shippo can sleep in Souta's room, Sango and Miroku can stay in the guest room, and Inuyasha can stay with you. What about Kirara?”
“She'll stay with either Sango or Shippo.” Kagome replied.
“That's everyone settled then.”
“Kagome?” Miroku's voice was questioning.
“Yeah.”
“Do you happen to have any photos of your friend?”
“I do have a few that she sent to me in an e-mail. But their small and I'm out of ink for my printer.”
“Sent, sent, send, oh my goodness.” Her mother mumbled, jumped up, and hurried from the room.
“Souta do you know what that was about,” She asked her brother. He just shook his head.
Moments later her mother came back in the room a box in her hands.
“I forgot all about this. I'm so sorry. It came last month while you were gone. It's from Fawn.” She handed it to Kagome.
It wasn't a very big box, nine by twelve inches, and an inch and a half deep. She opened it and pulled out two envelopes. Inside the smaller one was a home burned DVD that she set aside. In the larger one was a stack of eight by ten photos.
“Well I guess this answers your picture question Miroku.”
“I guess so.”
“Okay this is one of Fawn.”
She held the photo up for Inuyasha to see and then passed it around.
Waving at the camera was a slight, smiling girl. Her chin length light brown hair was a mass of curls. Her eyes were brown and sparkling with mirth and she had a smattering of freckles across her nose and cheek bones.
“You're right Kagome,” Sango said, “she does look like she enjoys life, and would be hard to be sad around.”
“She's great. I always end up laughing when I read her e-mails or we talk on the phone.” She took the photo back and handed out the next one.
“Damn, not even the runt's hair is that red.”
“That's Brook.”
This girl's long hair fell to the middle of her back and was a deep rich red. Her serious eyes were almost pewter gray. Her skin was pale and flawless. Though she had a slight smile on her face you could tell that she was a very serious person.
Sango and Miroku came and stood behind Kagome and Inuyasha. They didn't want to wait for the pictures to be passed around.
“This is Annie.” She held the picture up.
“She looks really shy.” Sango commented.
“Fawn says she is.”
Annie's blonde hair was shoulder length, her wide eyes very blue and very innocent. She was looking at the camera with a very nervous expression.
“Poor thing she looks scared.” Mrs. Higurashi said.
“Fawn also said that Annie's a little tougher than she looks. She said something weird about her one time.”
“What was that dear?”
“She called her `Shadara's innocence'.” Kagome shook her head.
“I wonder why she would say that.” Miroku said.
“I'm not exactly sure.” Kagome answered. “I do know that Shadara can be a total hard ass when she has to be.”
“Are there any pictures of her?” Rin asked, she was standing by Sango now.
“I hope so,” she flipped through a few of the three girls together, some of a huge house, and some horses. Half way through the stack there was a piece of paper with a note. She read it aloud.
“Hey Kagome you're probably wondering why I'm leaving you a note right here. Well I wanted to say hi and tell you that the next couple of pics are of Shadara. They're the best I could get. If she looks pissed it's because she is. I couldn't even catch her smiling let alone laughing. Grrr, that woman can make me nuts. She's never been a chipper person, and I don't blame her there, not after all the hell she's been through, but you'd think she could smile once in awhile. It would sure as hell be nice. Might even make things a bit easier for her. It seems like the only things that get her close to being in a better mood are kicking our asses all over the practice field or riding. Anyway back to the pics. Like I said she's pissed don't hold it against her. Later.”
“Well that was interesting,” Souta said as he and his mom crowded around too.
Kagome lifted the stack from the table and pulled the note away.
“Damn.”
“Oh kami.”
Unsure who said what Kagome just looked at the photo. Staring out of it was a woman who looked like she could fight hell it's self and win. Her hip length hair was blacker then the night, very straight, and there was a narrow streak of silver in it starting behind her left ear. Her emerald eyes were fierce and angry. Her skin was a rich copper, and marring her left cheek was a thin straight scar.
She was dressed in black boots, jeans, and tank top. Strapped to her right thigh was a long narrow dagger, and over her shoulder was the hilt of the sword that was strapped to her back. Her bare arms rippled with lean muscle and were crisscrossed with scars.
Sango plucked the photo from Kagome's hand.
“She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.”
“She is pretty.” Miroku agreed. “But she's also extremely angry. Even at my worst I never made you that mad Sango. You're anger was momentary. Hers is a deep seated rage.”
“Fuck, wench are you sure about going to this woman's house?”
“Yes, though I wish Fawn had told me about this beforehand.”
“What?” Sango asked.
“This.” Kagome held up the next picture.
“Oh my.”
Standing on Shadara's right was a very large white wolf, and on her left was a massive white tiger. Her hands were buried in their fur and they leaned against her legs. Across the very bottom of the photo was written `Shadara and her boys, Kit and Sa.”