InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 21

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-One
 
 
“I don't know how we'll get there.” Kagome's brow was furrowed with worry. “Inuyasha and Shippo don't have any papers so we can't get them passports. Inuyasha's ears are easy enough to hide but Shippo's tail is going to be hard.”
The pack and Kagome's friends were sitting around the kitchen table when Sesshoumaru walked in carrying an envelope.
“I believe this will solve your problems miko.” He handed the packet to her.
“We're back to `miko' are we?” She looked at him frowning. “Would you cut the crap already, you can stop being the ice man now.” She pinched the bridge of her nose. “It gets so old. If you insist on not using my name at least call me `sister' we're family now.”
“Alright Kagome, sister it shall be.” A slight smile pulled at the corners of his mouth and his eyes light up.
Inuyasha laughed at his brothers teasing.
“I told you you're not the ass you think you are.” The hanyou clutched his sides as he laughed harder. He didn't stop when the Taiyoukai knocked him out of his chair and sat down.
Sesshoumaru pulled the envelope from Kagome's limp fingers and opened it.
“In here are birth certificates, passports, and other documents for your mate and pup.”
Kagome looked through the paper work with an ever increasingly shocked look on her face.
“Land deeds, bank statements, trust accounts, kami Sesshoumaru. I can hardly believe this.” She looked at him in awe. “Why would you do this for us?”
In that moment he let his mask fall away completely. He touched her cheek with a single clawed finger.
“Because, I learned too late the value of family, I have been given a second chance and I will not squander it, little sister.”
Her eyes brimmed over and she threw her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her back and nuzzled her hair.
“Understand now bastard?” Inuyasha asked with a cocky grin from his place on the floor.
“I understand little brother.” His voice was still quiet as he let go of Kagome.
She sat back and wiped her eyes.
“I'm glad you two are done with trying to kill each other.”
“I'm sure that we'll still bloody each other now and again though.” Inuyasha sat up and shrugged. “What's life without a little excitement?” He looked up at his brother. “I promise I won't cut your arm off again.”
“That would be preferable.” Though his cultured tone was back there was no ice in it. “As for transportation, little sister, I have a private plane that will be adequate.” He stood. “Come, little brother, let us see how strong you are.” He turned toward the patio door.
Inuyasha leapt up.
“Keh, I'll kick your ass all over the yard.”
Once they were outside the girls looked at Kagome.
“Did Inuyasha say he wouldn't cut his arm off, again?” Yuka asked.
“Yep,” Kagome nodded.
“But he has both arms,” Ayumi looked very confused.
“In the first fight I witnessed between them Inuyasha cut Sesshoumaru's left arm off above the elbow. It took nearly a year and a half but it grew back.”
“It just grew back?” Eri couldn't keep the sarcasm out of her voice. “It totally sucks that humans can't heal like that.”
“No kidding,” Yuka said and Ayumi nodded her agreement.
“Alright now that our transportation problem is solved let's see what else needs attention.” Kagome pulled a notebook and pen to her and started a list.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
“Are you three ready to get away from my insanity, yet?” Kagome asked her friends as they stood watching the brothers fight.
Though both were bleeding it was easy to see that they weren't serious. Tessaiga was lying on the patio table and Sesshoumaru hadn't tried to poison Inuyasha.
Inuyasha was laughing as they broke apart and stood facing each other, their breathing slightly labored.
“Oi Sess, since I'm bleeding I want to try something.”
“Oh no,” Kagome whispered with a shake of her head.
Yuka gave her a curious look, wondering what she was worried about.
Kagome relaxed when Sesshoumaru moved to stand next to the hanyou.
“That way, little brother, Rin wanted some new flowerbeds.”
“Keh,” Inuyasha turned slightly and dug his claws into his wounded chest.
The girls flinched at the sight.
“BLADES OF BLOOD!” He leapt and slashed with his blooded claws.
The results decimated part of the yard. When he landed he rushed over to his mate.
“How was that!?” He smiled and looked thrilled.
“It was very impressive, much more powerful than before.” Kagome looked suitably pleased. “Now if you two are finished come inside there are still a few things we need to discuss.”
“Keh,” he gave her a quick kiss, grabbed the Tessaiga, and hurried inside.
Kagome chuckled, shook her head, and looked at her approaching brother-in-law.
“You're the only person I know who can look completely dignified with a torn shirt and bleeding.”
“Is that complement, little sister?”
“No, it's just a statement of a nearly incredulous fact.”
He smiled slightly at her bland tone.
“Let us finish the arrangements for your trip.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
 
“I would like to leave Friday evening. I also want to go back to Mama's today. I know she's worried and I want her to meet you three.” Kagome looks at Sango, Miroku, and Kirara. She then turns toward her friends. “And I'm sure you're about ready to get back to the real world.”
They looked over at Inuyasha. He was sitting with his arms behind his head. His shirt was missing and there were four long claw marks across his chest. He was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed.
“I think we need a break from our break from reality.” Yuka said. She shook her head. “Did that make any sense?”
“I think it did,” Sango laughed.
“Barely,” Eri added.
“Besides we should spend some time with our families before we leave for school on Friday.” Everyone nodded at Ayumi's comment.
“So you are ready to get away from the insanity.” Kagome chuckled.
“The blood is a bit disconcerting.”
“Feh.”
Everyone laughed at Inuyasha's snort.
“I'll arrange for the car,” Rin smiled and left the room.
Kagome hugged her friends.
“Don't feel like we're running you off please.”
“You're going to be busy getting ready.” Eri said. “Don't worry about us.”
“We have lots to do too.” Yuka smiled at her.
“We don't feel run off.” Ayumi said. “We're glad we got to meet your family.”
“Thank you.”
Inuyasha stood behind them. Everyone looked at him in shock at his quiet words.
“For what?” Yuka asked.
“For being the friends my mate needed you to be.” He turned and walked out of the room.
“He's so getting hugged for that later.” Kagome's face was lit up with a warm smile. “Well you go get your stuff and get back in here. I'm sure that the car will be here soon.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
“Bye!!” Kagome waved as they all stood outside the door watching the car pull away.
Once it was out of sight Sango tapped on her shoulder and held out her closed hand. Kagome opened her own and her sister dropped the last jewel shard into it.
“Kohaku's shard,” She whispered.
“Yes.”
“How did he die?”
“He lived a long full life. He got married and though they never had any children of their own they raised many orphans. He was an old man, his sight was fading, and his wife had just passed. They had no more children at home.” She took a shuddering breath. “He was tired and lonely. I-I took it out for him and held him as he went.”
“I'm sorry Sango.” Kagome hugged her.
“It's okay,” she smiled. “He was happy and enjoyed his life. I'm happy that he was.”
“What are you going to do now?” Miroku asked as he laid his hand on his wife's shoulder.
Kagome looked thoughtful for a moment. She pulled on her necklace tugging the nearly whole jewel from under her shirt.
“Everyone stand close.”
Inuyasha stood at her back and wrapped his arms around her. Shippo climbed to her shoulder putting his arms around her neck. Sango with Kirara on her shoulder linked arms with her and Miroku held Sango. Then Sesshoumaru and Rin stood at her other side. Rin's hand was on her arm and Sesshoumaru had his hand on his brother's shoulder.
“Everyone ready?”
“Everyone is here and touching Mama.” Shippo pressed his cheek to hers.
Kagome took a deep breath, held up the jewel, and slipped the last piece in place. With a very small click it was whole again. She took two more deep steadying breaths and spoke.
“We as a family, as a pack, wish for the miko Midoriko to be at peace, and to rest at last. For the battle is over.”
There was a flash of bright pink light. When it faded standing before them was a beautiful woman in ancient armor. A brilliant smile lit her entire being.
“Thank you Taisho family. You have done as no other has been able to. You have set aside all selfish whims in order to better this world and take care of each other. You have let love, friendship and honor lead you. A blessing on you all.”
With another flash she and the jewel were gone.