InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devious Intentions ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: You know, I had intended to at least finish My Other Life before I started on another story, but did I? Well, I'm writing another story aren't I? If you answered that question then you have your answer. Whether you supplied the right answer, however, is a completely different matter. So with that bit of interesting news, lets get down to the good stuff - the actual story.

And if your wondering what the hell this story's about then I'll tell you right now: Kagome wants her fiancée to break their engagement because she so does not want to marry him and he's the only one who can break it off. So she asks Inuyasha (the scandal expert) for help. Simple, no?

Prologue

My eyes jerked opened as a shrill scream pierced through the quietness of the night. As I lay in my bed, my ear's strained to hear some kind of noise. What had been that noise? Was someone hurt? There was a low thud down the hall and fear began to seep its way into my mind.

What if someone had been trying to get into our house? What if they had tried to hurt mommy? With the thought of my mother, all alone in that big bed without my father's protection, I pushed the cover's hastily off of me and silently made my way toward my parent's bedroom.

As my feet silently slapped against the floorboards, my thoughts were going from one crazy idea to another. If someone had decided to break into our house, what would they have taken? Come to think of it, why would anyone even want to break into our home? It wasn't like we had nice things to take.

My eyes briefly fell upon my little brother's room. I hadn't heard any crying when that noise had happened, so my brother must have been safe. But just to be on the safe side… I quietly crept into my brother's room and looked over at his crib to make sure he was all right. He was. He was sleeping like the baby he was. I slowly closed the door so he wouldn't waken to any sudden noises.

As I made my way toward the kitchen, I saw a soft light being illuminated against the doorway. My steps became smaller and smaller as I approached the light. My breathing started to get faster and my mouth all of a sudden became dry. There was a 50/50 chance that the person in my kitchen would be someone I knew. Though I was only eight, I knew that not everyone in the world was a good person. So if the person in there wasn't someone I knew… Well I would do what any eight-year-old would do in my situation- scream at the top my lungs.

I approached the doorway and, plucking up all my courage, peered around the corner. I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw it was only my mother. I walked quickly up to her and asked, "Why aren't you in bed mommy?"

It was then that I noticed the pale look my mother had. Her skin, it seemed, had been sucked of all its color and all that was left behind was a snowy looking texture. Her eyelashes held the traces of tears and her nose held a slightly red tinge to it. Concerned, I asked, "Did something happen mommy?"

My mother turned her head and stared at me with such vacant eyes it was like she didn't know me. I jumped a little as the thunder outside crackled and popped and the wind slapped against the windows. Growing frightened, I tugged on my mother's sleeve. "Can we go back to bed mommy? I'm scared."

My mother looked at me and a faint trace of a smile broke across her face. Softly, she said, "We will Kagome." My mother slowly bent down and picked up the phone that lay across the floor.

I looked at it in curiosity before I asked the question that was burning through my mind. "Why is the phone on the floor?"

I saw with astonishment that my mother's eyes filled up with tears again. She took her hand, and gently brushed the tears back. Taking a deep breath, she said, "Kagome, I need to tell you something."

My eyes were wide with curiosity. "What is it?"

My mother squatted down so that we were both eye-to-eye. "You see dear, it's about your father." My mom twisted the sleeves of her nightgown and said quietly, "He's dead."

I just looked at my mother like she had just announced that boys didn't have cooties. "No he's not. Daddy's at the convention in New York, remember? You said so yourself."

My mother shook her head sadly, while at the same time biting her lower lip. "That was the hospital dear. It seems that his heart had been having some problems and well…" My mother bit down harder on the lip between her teeth. "I'm sorry sweetie. But it seems Daddy isn't coming back home."

I just stared at my mother before a smile broke across my face. "You're trying to trick me again, aren't you momma? Well it's not working. I caught onto you so you can stop pretending."

When my mother didn't laugh along with me, I realized with silent shock that she was dead serious. My lower lip began to quiver and tears came to my eyes. How could my father be dead? He couldn't have died. He had been such a healthy person. How could he have died? How?

I slowly backed away from my mother. I turned away from her, not able to understand how she could be so calm about any of this. I gradually walked towards the window where our pitiful excuse for a balcony was located. I silently opened the sliding glass and stepped outside into the pouring rain and cold.

Within seconds, my hair began to plaster to my head. Salty tears and rain mixed together. But I didn't notice any of this. I just felt the shock. And the numbness. "Daddy," I whispered.

I sensed more than felt my mother standing behind me. Silently, she picked me up and put my face on her shoulder. "It's all right. We're going to be just fine." She soothingly patted my hair, unmindful of its dampness.

I didn't understand how everything was going to be all right. Who were we going to live with? My mother hadn't worked in a long time and I wasn't sure if she was going to be able to get a job. And if she did get a job, how would she get one on such short notice? She had my baby brother to feed and he could be a pretty demanding person at times.

I nestled a little closer into my mother's nightgown. I didn't know how we were going to survive, but I knew that I would always be there for my mother whenever she needed me. I was always going to be there for her…. No matter what the cost.

A/N: This may not make sense right now but as the story progresses, it will. Anyway, review and tell me what you think. In the mean time, I'll go and type up the next chapter(s) for My Other Life.