InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devious Intentions ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm not going to have many a/n in this story. I'll only post some when I actually have something to say. Oh yeah, and everyone in this is going to be human. No demons. No half-demons. Just regular humans.

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. If I did, I would have a lot more anime items at my house. Not to mention, I could always avoid my brother by living on one side of the mansion and he living on the other.

"Hey Kagome, wait up!"

I looked over my shoulder to see my friend, Yuka, waving her hand frantically at me. I sighed before stopping. Shifting my backpack to my other shoulder, I waited patiently for Yuka to catch up with me.

Yuka was grinning as she slowed down from a run to a walk. "You will notbelieve what I just saw."

I sighed again, though I made sure Yuka couldn't hear it. I already knew that Yuka wanted to tell me the latest gossip she had just heard because she always had some type of gossip to fill me in on after school.

I mentally groaned. I had been hoping that I could go home and relax after an exhausting day at school. It had taken all of my energy to try and pass that math test; yet, I still don't think I even passed with a C. I just wanted to go home now and try to recuperate. I didn't feel like listening to Yuka rant on about who was going out with whom, or who had done what.

I gave Yuka a tired look, hoping she would get the hint but she, unfortunately, didn't. Barely containing her excitement, Yuka repeated herself and said, "You will not believe what I just saw!" Yuka waited for a few seconds before bursting out, "It was him!"

I rolled my eyes. Everyone already knew who him was. I wasn't the most outgoing person in the Tokyo, but even I knew who him was. He happened to be one of the most sought after guys in Tokyo, Japan. His name, you ask? Inuyasha.

I personally didn't care for the guy. Most of the people in Tokyo snubbed him, but Inuyasha really could care less what anyone thought of him. Girls practically swooned if he even glanced in their direction. God forbid him to even speak to you. I had literally seen girls faint when he had so much as approached them. And their reaction wasn't because they were horrified he was approaching them. In fact, it was the exact opposite.

Parents didn't like his devil-may-care attitude, though you kind of couldn't blame them for it. I mean, if you even look at Inuyasha the wrong way, you just may find yourself missing a few fingers and toes....

Supposedly, he can charm anyone or anything. All the gossipers of Tokyo say that Inuyasha's been participating in some type of drug involvement. No one can really say that's a sure fact unless, you went up to Inuyasha himself and asked him. But of course, who's that stupid?

The one thing that Inuyasha is most famous for (in my opinion) is the way he can get you socially ruined for life. It's rumored that if you want a scandal done, Inuyasha is the guy to go to. It doesn't matter if the scandal you want is small or big, Inuyasha can get it done. If you wanted to be ruined, Inuyasha can be pretty handy. Notice, I said if.

I suddenly blinked as Yuka gently poked me in my side. She was looking at me strangely with her hand in mid-wave by my face. "Are you even listening to me Kagome?"

I smiled at Yuka, pushing back my nagging conscious. "Yes. I had just spaced out for a few minutes. Sorry about that. What were you saying?"

Yuka gave me a sly look. "I bet you were thinking about him, huh?" Before I could answer with a remark, Yuka said, "I guess I can't blame you though. He is unusually gorgeous, isn't he?"

I snorted. "Sure, if you like the arrogant type. The guy knows he's good looking and he uses his looks to his advantage. He's a complete and total player."

Yuka shrugged. "Yes well, if he would ever turn his attention to me, I would make sure that his eyes never went wandering again."

I lifted an eyebrow. "Meaning...?"

Yuka sighed impatiently. "Meaning he would love me to much too ever want another girl again."

I just laughed. "Get real Yuka. Inuyasha could never stop being a playboy and you know it."

Yuka smiled. "Yeah I know, but I can dream can't I?"

I chuckled and nodded my head. "Of course Yuka, of course."

I shifted my backpack to my other shoulder again, growing uncomfortable. The damn thing had too many books and binders in it. If it had been up to me, I would have made a law against having students carry this entire stuff home with them just for homework. But sadly, the laws aren't up to me. If they were, well, let's just say that my life would be a lot better than it is now.

Yuka's voice became excited again as she got back onto her favorite topic - Inuyasha. "Okay, so as I said before, you will so not believe what I had seen earlier."

Amused, I said, "You already told me remember? You saw Inuyasha."

Yuka waved that fact away anxiously. "Yes, I know that. But guess who he was with?"

"A girl," I replied dryly. Inuyasha was never seen without one.

Yuka nodded. "That's not even the best part of my tale. It was the girl he was with."

I stayed quiet, waiting for Yuka to continue.

Yuka looked like she was about to explode from her bit of `news'. She finally shouted out, "The girl he was with was Kikyou!"

I stopped walking and looked at Yuka in surprise. Kikyou? Now what was one of the world's most emotionless, not to mention richest, girl's doing with a guy of Inuyasha's reputation? My eyes widened. Was she trying to get a scandal from the seventeen-year-old? That had to be the only reason. Why else would she be hanging out with him?

Already bored, I said, "So what about them? Were they kissing or something? I mean big deal. They were together."

Yuka gave me a hurt look before saying, "Kagome, you know that I would never tell you something that wasn't of importance. And this happens to be very important." I decided not to make a comment about that seeing as everything concerning Inuyasha was important to Yuka.

"Okay, so I was just minding my own business, as usual, when I hear laughter. Yet this isn't just any laughter - this is Inuyasha's laughter. So being the curious person that I am, I snuck over and found Inuyasha laughing with Kikyou! Kikyou was being all touchy touchy with Inuyasha, and from my point of view, it didn't look like he minded one bit!" Yuka squealed at the end, where I just rolled my eyes. 

"Okay, so he was laughing with her. Like I said before, big deal."

Yuka glared at me. "You can at least pretend to be excited about my news Kagome. Indulge me for once." 

A half-smile played upon my face as I looked at Yuka's angry stance. "Alright. I'll remember to keep that in mind for next time, okay?"

 

Yuka got a starry look in her eye. "I wish he would talk to me. Just a `hi' would make me happy."

I made a sympathetic noise in the back of my throat. Yuka was like every other girl I knew. Always wishing that Inuyasha would speak to them. Sadly, I don't get what the big deal is. He's just a guy. I mean sure, his long black hair is the type that most girls would kill to have for even one day. And yes, his body is extra yummy, but if you take away all of his looks, what do you have left? Just a normal teenager. Mind you, a snobby arrogant teenager, but a teenager nevertheless. 

I laughed to myself. Okay, so maybe normal wouldn't be a strong enough word to describe Inuyasha. In fact, I don't think Inuyasha could be normal. He's too defiant for that.

I winced as Yuka grabbed my arm and started to apply extreme pressure to it. Yet I don't think she even noticed. Across the street was the bad boy himself. I scowled and, not too politely, asked Yuka if she wouldn't mind taking her hand off my arm because she was cutting off its circulation.

It seemed that my words hadn't penetrated the fog in Yuka's mind because all she said in an excited voice was, "Oh my God Kagome! Do you see him? He's right over there!"

I glanced at Inuyasha to see him looking at us with an amused smile playing across his lips. No doubt he probably was laughing at Yuka's actions towards him, though I wouldn't blame him if he was. She was acting like a crazy fan girl. If I didn't feel kind of pissed off, I would probably be amused also. But seeing as I was about to lose my arm unless Yuka didn't let go of it, I can tell you, it wasn't all that funny to me.

Scowling, I non to gently pried off Yuka's death grip on my arm. I flexed my arm for a while to get the blood flowing again and then turned my attention to my friend.

"If you like him so much, why don't you go and talk to him? This will probably be your only chance to, seeing as he's alone, and you most likely won't forgive yourself if you don't seize this golden opportunity." My words were laced with sarcasm, but I really don't think that Yuka heard a thing I said. She was still in her own little fantasy world concerning her and Inuyasha.

After that brief glance, Inuyasha ignored us from then on. Under a few seconds, he had gone around the corner and disappeared from our sites. Wherever he was going, I was sure that there were soon to be girls' trailing behind him. And whad'ya know? I was right.

No sooner had Inuyasha disappeared from sight, than around seven girls came around the corner, each trying to look casual and each failing miserably. One of the girls shrieked and before I knew it, they were gone. I just looked in amazement at the spot where the fan crazy girls had been before I turned to witness Yuka's reaction at having her wonderful opportunity snatched away. 

But the little traitor wasn't even there! I turned my head back to where the fan girls had been and caught a glimpse of Yuka's wavy hair bouncing as she jogged to catch up with the rest of the girls. 

Figured…

Oh well. I guess I was going to be able to get that extra bit of rest after all. I shrugged and continued my way home. 

. . .

 

I gratefully shut the sliding door and slipped my shoes off my aching feet. Man, it felt so nice to be home. After that little episode with Yuka and having to walk all the way home from school, I was happy to be able to finally relax. If I hadn't been so tired, I would have announced my presence. But I was even too tired to do that, and all that is, is just me opening up my mouth and using my vocal cords. Wow, that's kind of pathetic if you actually think about it… 

I wearily dragged my feet up the stairway, already imagining what my pillow would feel like against my head. Before I was even able to get to the top of the stairs, however, Grandpa called from the kitchen. 

"Kagome is that you? Did you just get back from school?"

Looked like I was going to be talking anyway… "Yes Grandpa!" 

Hopefully he wouldn't want to talk right now. I was afraid that I was going to fall asleep on my feet if I didn't get to my bed soon. But as my luck would have it, Grandpa's voice came closer to the stairwell instead of fading from it.

"Kagome, would you mind if you just came down a bit? I wanted to speak with you." 

I had the strongest urge to ignore Grandpa and continue on to my room, but seeing as I wasn't so tired that I would disrespect my grandfather, I slowly turned around and came back down the stairs. 

When I had reached the kitchen, Grandpa was already sitting in one of the chairs at the dining table, an unhappy expression on his face. As soon as he saw me enter, he cleared his throat and said gruffly, "Now I know how you may think I'm being unfair to you Kagome, but please listen before you interrupt me." 

I nodded my head curtly, which gave Grandpa the signal he could continue. "Now I've just been informed that you've been seen with…"

As soon as Grandpa had started talking, my eyes began to get all heavy and it was then that I had to put up a battle to keep them open. I knew that I was supposed to be listening to whatever Grandpa was saying, but it was quite hard trying to do two things at once. Unfortunately, tiredness won out and, just like I feared, I began to fall asleep on my feet.

"…and that is why I think you shouldn't hang around Inuyasha anymore. It's just not good for his influence to - Kagome! Are you even listening to me?"

My head flew up sharply and my eyes looked at the stern frown on my grandfather's face. And I thought I had been doing well in hiding my tiredness from him.... Oh well. I yawned and blinked a few times to try and get the sleep out of my eyes before I spoke. 

Groggily, I said, "Yes I heard you. You were talking about hanging out with Inuyasha more, right?"

"Wrong." Grandpa's voice was exasperated as he said, "Honestly Kagome, do you ever listen to a word I say?" 

I nodded my head. "Of course I do. Just not when whatever you're talking about can put me too sleep." My expression already told what I wanted to say to Grandpa out loud.

Grandpa glared at me, but didn't bother to make a remark. "Look Kagome, I don't want you to hang around that Inuyasha. He's bad news."

You could tell that I was surprised by Grandpa's announcement because I wasn't able to speak, and that's a new thing for me. 

Did Grandpa honestly think that I would willingly hang out with Inuyasha? I wouldn't hang out with Inuyasha even if you'd paid me. Unless, of course, I needed a scandal done. Otherwise, I had no intention of ever speaking two words to the guy. Ever.

 

Grandpa looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to say something. I gave Grandpa a stern look and said, "I don't know how you got the misconception that I would ever hang out with a guy like Inuyasha, but let me assure you, I have never even said two words to the guy and I'd like to keep it that way." HeHHe

Grandpa looked doubtful. "If that's the case, then why is it that you've been seen with him?" 

I sighed in frustration. Did he just not hear what I had just said? "What are you talking about Grandpa?" 

"That one boy, I think he's called Hobo, came over later on today and told me that he saw you with Inuyasha two days ago, after school. You were talking to him and getting very friendly." 

I wasn't sure which I wanted to do first - say how Hojo dare spy on me or laugh at the ridiculous suggestion. But I did neither. Instead, I took a calming breath and said, "I think that before Hojo goes and spies on me again, he should get his facts straight."

Grandpa's expression didn't give away any of his thoughts as he waited for me to continue. "I was with Yuka when she just happened to drag me along into finding Inuyasha. I never actually expected him to be found seeing as Inuyasha will be found only if he wishes it. So when we did, I was surprised. We never got within five feet of him though; he was too busy flirting with some girl in a skimpy looking outfit."

Grandpa looked at me, trying to figure out if I was lying, which I wasn't. Finally, he nodded his head, stood up, and headed outside in the direction of the well house. 

Well, that had been a complete waste of time. Not to mention I wasn't even tired anymore. I glanced at the clock and saw with some surprise that Grandpa and I had been talking for over fifteen minutes. The clock now read 3:45. When I had last looked at the clock from school, it had read 3:20. Time sure goes by fast when you're being interrogated by your grandfather… 

I gave a deep long sigh. Might as well get some math homework done since you don't have the urge to fall asleep anymore, my inner voice said cheerfully.

Why don't you go back to the dark corners of mind and not talk to me anymore?, I replied darkly.I turned around and went back upstairs where my evil math problems waited.

. . .

Okay, so if Y equals X, then what does A equal? I looked at the problem I had been trying to solve for the last ten minutes in frustration. I had been sitting in my room at my desk for what seemed like hours, when in reality was probably only ten minutes, staring at the same problem. I had not so much as moved onto the next problem because the next twenty or so were all the same. I just didn't see the point to skip them and move on only to eventually come back to them and feel the same frustration I was feeling now. 

I stared at the problem, hoping that my pencil would all of a sudden gain magical powers and do my math homework for me. But, of course, that didn't happen. 

I sighed before putting down my pencil and resting my hands under my chin. I could always do my homework later. Right now, I was too exhausted to do anything except rest my eyes for a second. 

Oh, what the hell? Just relax for a minute Kagome. Let your body rest. Giving in to the little coaxing voice at the back of my mind, I began to drift off to sleep.... 

. . . 

"Kagome, please wipe the drool off of Souta's mouth," my mother said.

"Do I have to mommy? I don't want to touch that icky slobber."

Mom gave me the look that always made me feel like I wasn't doing my part in helping her out. With a sigh of defeat, I walked over to the tree where Souta was happily blowing spit bubbles in his baby seat. Why was it that I always got stuck with cleaning Souta off? It just wasn't fair. 

With a scowl, I plopped myself down in the shade beside Souta and took the handkerchief that mommy had given me, and wiped off the drool that was sitting on his chin. 

Souta looked at me strangely before getting a goofy grin on his cherubic face. With a high squeal, he grabbed my hair and yanked me forward. I fell over with a small cry and hit the grass. 

I just lay on the ground for a few seconds absorbing the shock of my fall before slowly sitting up. A sharp pain in my knee made me look down only to see a small bruise beginning to form. 

I just sat there, staring, before I started to cry. Mommy just happened to look over at me at that exact moment. She took one look at my face and Souta's happy cries before briskly walking over to me and scooping me up in her arms. 

With soft words of encouragement, mommy soothingly patted my back and waited until my cries began to soften down into pitiful sniffles. 

Mommy's gentle brown eyes roamed over my face as she looked to see if I was better. With a soft smile, she asked, "Better?"

 

I sniffled and nodded. Mom set me back down on the floor and looked at Souta in warning. "You should be glad that you didn't seriously didn't hurt her." Souta looked at me with the same goofy grin on his face before he turned to mommy and laughed. 

Mommy gave Souta a gentle smile before turning to me. "You know he sometimes gets a little overexcited Kagome. You have to be patient with him." 

I glared at Souta and said, "Well, I think Daddy should have taken him to New York with him. Then he wouldn't have hurt me." 

Mommy picked up Souta's baby seat and looked down at me. All of a sudden, the clouds grew black and the wind began to pick up its speed. Mommy and Souta began to grow dimmer and fade into the darkness. "It's all your fault Kagome. All your fault. All your fault…" 

. . . 

"It's not my fault. I didn't do anything. Stop saying that…" 

With a gasp, my head shot up and my eyes flew open. Moonlight was shining through my window. The stars were twinkling and the shrine was quiet. It had been a dream. Only a dream. It wasn't my fault. 

With wide eyes, I turned in my seat to see that I was in my room and not at the park. My fingers were slightly shaking as I pushed the mass of hair that had fallen into my face out of the way.

It was that dream again. It was the same dream that still had the ability to shake me up. The dream had started right after the night I learned that my father was dead. I don't know why the dream was happening to me now, seven years later, but I knew it had to be pretty serious if I was having it after all these years. 

Why was it happening now? I thought I had been over the death of my father. I mean, sure, it still made upset every time I thought about my father's unexpected death, but it doesn't give me nightmares like it did before. Or so I thought. 

You're too stressed out Kagome. You need to take a break. All of your school work has finally taken its toll on you, my inner voice said soothingly.

I didn't say anything back but instead just closed my eyes for a few seconds and tried to get my bearings back. I didn't believe that school had anything to do with my dream. It had to be something else. I just didn't know what yet. 

I pushed my chair back and went over to my bed where I gently lay my head down on the pillow. Hopefully when I fell asleep for the second time, I wouldn't have the dream again. I didn't know what it meant having that dream after all these years and, quite frankly, I was pretty reluctant to find out.

A/N: Yes, I am finally back! I decided to update this story first instead of updating My Other Life. I had been going to make this chapter a little longer, but I think that after such a long break that I don't need to write too much. And don't worry; I'll be updating MOL pretty soon. I have most of the chapter typed up. I just need to finish it is all. Oh yeah and I did get in the whole Australia thing. I'll probably have more details in MOL.