InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devious Intentions ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Beep! Beep! Beep!

 

My hand reached out to slap the insistent beeping noise that was bothering my dreamless state, before I put a hand over my eyes.

 

What time is it? Maybe I can sleep a little-

 

My thoughts were abruptly caught off as I stared at the numbers on my pink alarm clock. It couldn't be 8:20. That's impossible. School starts at 7:30, so if it was 8:20 that would mean…

 

Oh. Crap.

 

In a flash I was out of bed and in the bathroom. I quickly went over my teeth, and pulled a brush through my disheveled hair. Not bothering with putting on another uniform, I quickly brushed my hands over the wrinkles over the uniform I had slept in, for goodness sakes', and began stuffing in all of my things I would need for the day before running out of the bathroom and jamming my feet in some sneakers.

 

Without a backward glance, I walked out the door. I was almost down the stairs when I realized I had forgotten my math book.

 

With a groan I ran back up the stairs and stormed into my room. I frantically looked around my room for the textbook, before groaning in frustration. Trying to push back the panic that wanted to overwhelm me, I stopped scanning my bedroom and made myself think of the last place I had been in. Okay, Kagome, think about what you had been doing before you had fallen asleep in the same clothes. Come on, think!

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a plain blue workbook lying on my desk. With a triumphant yell, I quickly snatched my math book off of my desk and jammed it into my open backpack. Quickly, I ran down the stairs, past the kitchen, and toward the door. Uttering a quick goodbye to my mother, I hastily made my way towards school.

 

I'm going to be late! How could I be this late? I screamed at myself. With the speed of light, I practically flew the entire way towards school.

 

If I wanted to be honest with myself, though, I would have to say that the reason that I was going to be late for school was because I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. I had been slightly afraid of having that same dream again. So I had stayed up most of the night, staring at my ceiling, wondering what I was going to do about this new problem. And you know what? After all those hours of staring and pondering, I never came up with anything.

 

So basically, my mind said grumpily, you stayed up half the night trying to think up a reason why you had that dream again and what you would do if it came back, and you're telling me that you couldn't come up with anything? My mind huffed. That was a complete waste of time, not to mention you're late for school thanks to your lack of sleep. Extra emphasis was put on the word lack.

 

I grimaced at the slightly amused tone of my mind, and sighed. Yes, I hadn't thought of anything, but that was alright. I'm pretty sure that that nightmare wasn't going to happen again, anyway. So it wouldn't be like I would actually have to think up a solution for it.

 

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

 

My breathing was coming out in short little gasps by the time I finally reached my high school. From my small little shrine to the school was about a fifteen minute walk. But when you practically run the whole way there, I'd say it would have to be about seven minutes, including all of the stop lights.

 

I didn't bother with making any stops at my locker as I quickly made my way toward my first period. As I entered class, Mr. Matsuura turned to look at me. He lifted an eyebrow at me as I quickly, but quietly, made my way to my desk in the back.

 

He adjusted the lenses that lay on his nose before saying in that annoying high voice of his, "A little late, aren't we Miss Higurashi? You're what? Fifty minutes late?"

 

I gave Mr. Matsuura a sheepish smile but didn't say anything. That was a mistake. I don't know if I fried some brain cells or something when I had been brainstorming last night, but everyone knows that you do not snub Mr. Matsuura and not feel his wrath.

 

Mr. Matsuura smiled at me. His smile, though, didn't hold any trace of warmth. Almost as if he was bored, Mr. Matsuura said, "I'd like you to stay after class Kagome. I believe you and I have some things to talk about, don't you?"

 

Actually, I didn't. In fact, I wanted nothing to do with him.

 

But I didn't dare voice these thoughts out loud. Some people may call me stupid, but they wouldn't call me crazy.

 

I nodded my head and gave a quiet yes sir. Mr. Matsuura grinned slightly, as if he was actually proud of himself (and I think he was), before turning around and writing on the chalkboard.

 

I sighed and put my hands under my chin, somewhat depressed. I already, as did the rest of the class, knew what Mr. Matsuura and I were going to "talk" about: me and how long I would like to spend time in detention.

 

It wasn't fair that Mr. Matsuura was always picking on me. I don't know why he does what he does, but he seems to enjoy thinking of ways of trying to get me in trouble. It's like a hobby for him.

 

"Kagome," a voice hissed.

 

I turned around in my seat to see who was calling my name and was pretty surprised when I found out it was Eri. Lifting an eyebrow in the air, I silently asked her what she wanted.

 

Eri snuck a glance at Mr. Matsuura to make sure his back was still turned before she threw a balled up piece of paper at me. The paper landed near my desk and I quickly scooped it up.

 

Sneaking a glance at Mr. Matsuura, I slouched slightly in my desk and, as quietly as I could, began unfolding the ball.

 

After a few moments, I had unfolded the paper enough to read what Eri had written:

 

 

 

Kagome, what happened? Why are you late?

 

 

 

I quickly scrawled a reply telling her about my sleeping in. I didn't bother with telling her the part of my nightmare being the reason that had kept me up. My friends didn't need to know everything that happened to me.

 

I glanced at Mr. Matsuura to make sure that his back was still turned before I tossed the balled up piece of paper back to Eri.

 

I folded my hands on my desk and began to daydream. I wonder what mom's cooking for dinner tonight? Maybe, we're having Sushi. My mouth began to water at the thought. I chuckled silently at my grumbling stomach. Whatever we're having is fine with me. Right now I could eat every single fish in the world, and still have room left over for dessert.

 

Eri quickly threw the balled up piece of paper back at me and then hurriedly pretended like she was taking notes. I smirked at the reply she gave me:

 

 

 

Yeah, okay. So what kept you up all night? I hope that you aren't coming down with anything. If you are, you'll have to put your date with Hojo on hold again. Seriously, cut the guy some slack and go out with him. Everybody already knows he wants you to be his girlfriend.

 

 

 

I scribbled down my thoughts on that particular subject and how Hojo had oh so dearly ratted me out to Grandpa. I chuckled at what Eri's expression would be when she read the note. However, I never got to see what Eri's expression would be because in that exact moment Mr. Matsuura decided to turn around at the exact instant I threw the balled up piece of paper back.

 

I flushed as I watched in mounting horror as the flying paper landed near Eri's desk. Eri, it seemed, had been carved at stone because she didn't move a muscle. Mr. Matsuura slowly walked to Eri's desk and bent down to pick up the note.

 

As he stood up again, Mr. Matsuura said calmly, "Is this some trash, Eri?"

 

Eri was still too scared to say anything, so she only gaped at him in reply. Mr. Matsuura lifted one of his practically nonexistent eyebrows in response to her answer. "No? Well, I know it can't be a note seeing as notes are strictly forbidden in my classroom. So, if it's not a note, then what can it be?"

 

I knew that Eri wasn't going to be able to say anything out of fear she would get in even more trouble than she already was. So you guys can kinda guess what I did then.

 

"Actually, it is a note Mr. Matsuura." I, and everyone else, heard the slight quiver in my voice as I spoke. I was disgusted when I heard it. I didn't want Mr. Matsuura to think I was actually scared of him.

 

 

In a stronger voice, I said, "And before you ask why we're we passing notes when we know it's not allowed, let me just say the most simple of all answers: because we wanted to."

 

The class sat there in shock at my boldness of words to Mr. Matsuura. Nobody talked to him like that. Mr. Matsuura stared at me for a few seconds before he smirked at me.

 

"You've got guts, Higurashi. I'll admit that. That was a very brave, yet stupid, thing for you to do; a very stupid thing indeed."

 

At that moment the bell rang and the students rushed to collect their things together to escape the presence of the teacher.

 

I tried to flee with them, but unfortunately, Lady Luck has never really liked me. "Kagome," Mr. Matsuura said quietly.

 

I paused and sighed before slowly turning around to face Mr. Evil. I mean, Mr. Matsuura. "Yes," I asked, as politely as I could.

 

Mr. Matsuura went over to his desk and began to re-arrange his papers. "I don't appreciate the lack of respect you just showed me in my classroom. Not only did you have the gull to come in late, but you also decide to pass notes with one of your friends."

 

I flushed slightly at the scolding tone in his voice, but, otherwise, didn't say a word. I slowly followed Mr. Matsuura to his desk and leaned my hip against the wood. Mr. Matsuura took his glasses off of the bridge of his nose and took out a wiping cloth from his back pocket to clean them.

 

"Now let's just cut to the chase, shall we? You know as well as I do that I'm going to give you a detention. However, there's a new problem. I have been keeping track of how many detentions you have had over the last few weeks and it seems that you've had a lot." He paused as he held up his glasses to the light.

 

Nodding in satisfaction, he placed the thin frame back on his face and smiled at me. I was instantly wary because Mr. Matsuura never smiles unless some poor unfortunate soul was going to get in trouble. Quietly, he said, "You've had so many, Miss Higurashi, that you just may be suspended from school. If you are suspended," he said, ignoring the slight opening of my mouth at the word `suspension', "it would only be for a week."

 

I stared at Mr. Matsuura, not able to understand the words that had just came out of his mouth. Suspension? Is he freakin' serious? I can't be suspended! My grades won't allow it! I won't allow it!

 

In desperation, I cried out, "Are you serious? How many detentions have I been given? It couldn't have been that many! I can't be suspended. I just can't."

 

Mr. Matsuura gave me a look I assumed was supposed to be sympathetic, but was actually the exact opposite. Barely containing his delight, Mr. Matsuura said, "You can actually. With the way you have been making yourself a second home in detention, I assure you, it is quite possible." Smirking, he said, "And I am not authorized to give out the number of detentions you have been given because it is not in my power to do so."

 

My shoulders slumped together in disappointment and guilt. I had promised my mother that I would do everything in my power to get a good education. She had told me that it would have made my father proud to see me in one of the top colleges in Tokyo. I had promised her I would make him proud and I had meant it.

 

With new resolve, I asked, "Are you sure you haven't made a mistake or something? I mean, are you sure that I have that many detentions?"

 

Mr. Matsuura suddenly smiled at me with an evil purpose in his eyes. Casually, he brought his arm up and began to slowly stroke my hip that was leaning against his desk. "Well, I could be mistaken. Maybe, you could, uh, help me change my mind."

 

I looked at the pasty hand that was currently connected with my own flesh before glancing back up at Mr. Matsuura. Not wanting to believe he meant what I thought he meant, I pretended confusion. "Mr. Matsuura…?"

 

With a growl, Mr. Matsuura grabbed my arm and yanked me closer toward him. Softly, his lips a centimeter away from mine, he said, "Don't play the dummy with me Kagome. You and I both know you're not stupid."

 

With dread, I knew that my first impression hadn't been wrong. With snakelike movements, I tore myself away from my teacher and glared at him, fire in my eyes. "I don't want to do anything with you. If that's what I have to do to get out of a suspension, then you might as well tell me when I can go so I can get my stuff."

 

Mr. Matsuura's gaze fell briefly on my lips before he said hungrily, "Stop trying to play hard to get. I've seen the way you look at me." At my lifted eyebrow, he said angrily, "I hate it when you do that!"

 

He paused and wiped the sweat off of his brow before saying a bit more calmly, "If you're worried about it hurting for the first time, you can relax. I'll be gentle with you." My look turned to utter disbelief then. Did he seriously think that was the biggest concern on my mind?

 

Knowing it probably wouldn't help my situation, I chuckled. Amused, I asked, "And what makes you think you would be my first, huh? How do you know that I haven't had some other guy?"

 

At Mr. Matsuura's dark look, I stopped. With barely contained fury, Mr. Matsuura whispered, "Stop teasing me and come here. I can't take it anymore!"

 

Mr. Matsuura went around his desk and had his short, pudgy legs move as fast as they would carry him over to me. "Now act like the good student you are and obey your teacher!"

 

Mr. Matsuura's hand reached for my upper arm again, but this time I was ready. I pulled back my fist and let it fly. Mr. Matsuura's head snapped back and his hands immediately went to his nose. In disbelief, he took his hand away and looked at the bit of blood on the tip of his fingers.

 

My voice was as deadly as a King Cobra as I said quietly, "If you ever touch me again like that, I'll make sure that I hurt more than just your nose."

 

Without a backward glance, I walked out of the classroom, ignoring Mr. Matsuura's angry threats.

 

. . .

 

The bell rang for the last class of the day and I sighed with relief. I quickly gathered up my stuff and rushed out of class. I didn't head towards my locker, but instead, the front doors. I had barely gotten out of the school, before my path was intercepted by Eri.

 

Eri smiled at me attentively, not knowing how I was going to act for me taking all of the blame wit Mr. Matsuura. "What happened Kagome? Did he give you detention?"

 

I shook my head, careful of not revealing any facial expression. I had been able to push that little incident to the back of my mind for the remainder of the day. Well, that is, I had been until Eri had brought it up.

 

Eri looked surprised at that. "Why didn't he give you detention? It's not like Mr. Matsuura to let a student off the hook without giving them some sort of punishment."

 

I sighed. Eri was most likely going to find out anyway. Might as well tell her some of what happened. "He's going to suspend me."

 

Eri gasped with shock before her eyes turned guilty. "Oh this is all my fault! If I hadn't of been dying with curiosity of why you had been late and had of waited until the end of class, none of this would have happened."

 

I shook my head at that, not wanting Eri to beat herself up over it. "It's not your fault Eri. I came in late remember? He would have given me a suspension anyway. You just helped move it along is all."

 

Eri still didn't look convinced. "But if I had of-"

 

I cut Eri of with one of my looks. "You know how much he hates me Eri. He would have done it anyway. Now would you stop beating yourself over with it? What's done is done."

 

Eri turned around, headed back to the school. "But maybe if I just talk with him, I can-"

 

"No!" I screamed. The thought of Eri alone with Mr. Matsuura was enough to give me chills.

 

At her questioning look, I hastened to add, "I'm sure he's already gone Eri. Besides, like I said before, it's no big deal."

 

Eri looked uncertain before she grudgingly turned back around. She sent one more look back at the school before she finally fell into step with me. "So what are you going to do with the week that you're suspended?"

 

I shrugged. "Don't know. Maybe do a little bit of work, or something productive with my mind."

 

Eri gave me a sympathetic look. "You don't know how sorry I am Kagome, about you getting in trouble. I really, really, am sorry."

 

I sighed, but didn't bother saying anything.

 

Eri brightened at an idea that popped into her head. "Hey! Why don't I make it up to you by having all four of us come over and we can have an all girls' night."

 

The prospect of spending an all nighter with my friends sounded pretty good at that moment, so I nodded my head in agreement. With a cry of delight, Eri exclaimed, "Great! Okay there is so much to do! I'll have to go home and plan it all."

 

At seeing me about to object, Eri said sternly, "No. I want to do this. Let me, alright?" At her pleading look, I nodded my head. Eri smiled and then ran off talking to herself about cake and what movies we would watch.

 

I smiled at that, but then frowned. I finally let myself show my fear. I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, and began running my hands up and down over my arms, trying to get the feel of that snake's slimy touch off me. I pulled my jacket around my body closer, and shuddered.

 

To think that Mr. Matsuura had actually thought I would go through with something like that just to get out of a suspension. To think that he actually thought you liked him is the real amazement, my mind whispered.

 

I shuddered again before resuming my walk home. I could still feel that snake's eyes on the back of my head, and I could just darn well imagine what he would have liked to do to me. Yeah, I can imagine what he would like to do with you too. In fact, he would have tried to do it if it hadn't been for your marvelous punching skills.

 

I didn't bother to utter a retort at that. I was still feeling the aftereffects of having that man, my teacher of all things, touch me. I could practically still feel his touch on my arm.

 

I sighed and watched in detachment as my breath came out and lingered in the frosty air for a few moments before disappearing. I shivered as a cold wind hit my body and seemed to have engulfed it as I pulled my jacket even closer around myself.

 

Was it just me or had the weather gotten colder?

 

"Kagome!"

 

I paused, not sure I had heard right. The same voice called my name again and this time I was sure I wasn't hallucinating. "Hojo?"

 

Hojo came to job up behind me, his cheeks a ruddy glow. He gave me a smile before asking in concern, "What are you doing out in this type of weather Kagome? It's freezing!"

 

A mental picture of Mr. Matsuura instantly came to mind and I shuddered. Hojo mistook this gesture as me being cold. Worried, he asked, "Maybe I should walk you home to see of you get there all right. You don't look so good."

 

You wouldn't either if your teacher had tried to come on to you, my mind replied dryly. Giving Hojo a gentle smile, I said, "You don't have to do that Hojo. I'm fine, really."

 

Hojo shook his head adamantly, and then stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. "I'm not budging from this spot Kagome, unless you let me walk you home. I don't want you to get sick again. You seem so fragile."

 

I grimaced, annoyed. Why was it that everybody thought that the one time I happened to get the flu, I was now to be treated like a glass rose? Everyone got the flu some time or another in their life! I wasn't any exception. So, maybe I had gotten a little sicker than most, but that didn't mean anything.

 

In exasperation, I said, "Hojo, I was sick with the flu. It wasn't that big of a deal. I'm not going to all of a sudden die because I happen to catch a cold. Relax, alright?"

 

Hojo didn't say anything at first and I was afraid I had hurt his feelings. I knew that it wasn't Hojo's fault that I was in a snappish mood. Hojo smiled at me and then started walking again. "I'm walking you home, Kagome. I want to."

 

I shook my head before giving up the fight. Hojo gave me a happy smile and said, "Nice weather, we're having, huh?"

 

I looked at the gray clouds and what looked to be like the beginning of a storm before giving Hojo an incredulous look. "You're kidding, right?"

 

At the twinkle in Hojo's eyes, I burst out laughing.

 

A/N: Well, this was fun. You know what? It seems I have the worst habit of having Kagome in bad situations. I don't mean to! Really, I don't. Anyway, the plot is beginning to thicken. Soon, Kagome will be engaged and then our favorite half-demon will enter the picture! Hmmm, wonder who that is? Alright, now it's time to type up the chapter to MOL. Toodles!