InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devious Intentions ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Promise me Kagome.”
I sighed at the persistent tone of Hojo's voice. Didn't the guy understand the meaning of no? Giving Hojo a small smile, I replied, “Fine, Hojo.” I briefly glanced at the different teabags he had given me before saying, “I promise I'll immediately go and make myself a cup of tea as soon as I get inside.” The wind blew harder against the thin jacket I had wrapped around my body as I tried to pull it even closer around me, though it was to no avail. Sheesh, for all the protection my stupid jacket gave me, I might as well be naked.
 
Hojo nodded his head in satisfaction at my easy corporation. The thought of me not actually doing what I promised him probably never entered his too trusting mind. Putting a gloved hand over my shoulder, Hojo squeezed it and smiled. “I just want to make sure that you don't get as sick as you did before Kagome. I would feel awful if you had gotten sick again and I hadn't done anything to prevent it.”
 
I nodded my head, understanding Hojo's concern for me. I stepped backwards slightly so Hojo's hand would be forced to fall from my shoulder. “I understand your concern Hojo. I really do. And I appreciate it.” I gestured towards the steps leading away from the shrine. “Now you should get on your way home. I wouldn't want to feel bad if you happened to get sick.”
 
Hojo smiled at me again. “Alright, just remember: keep warm.” With those final words of warning, Hojo turned around, and with a last wave, left.
 
I watched Hojo's retreating figure for a few more moments before the bitter wind convinced me that I had better get my butt inside my warm house. I walked up the few steps leading to the sliding door, pulled it open, and then shut it, a sigh of relief upon my lips now that the biting wind wasn't upon my body anymore. I slipped off my shoes automatically, and hung up my jacket on the hanger.
 
I barely had time to drop my heavy backpack from my back before Souta came rushing down the hallway towards me, his voice overexcited.
 
“Kagome, Kagome! Is that you?” I groaned at the excited tone of my little brother's voice and braced myself for what was most likely going to be another one of his mile second talks.
 
Souta crashed into me and I had to hold him and myself steady before we both fell to the ground. Souta looked up into my face and beamed. “You won't believe what they're talking about on TV, sis. Come on, hurry up!” Souta impatiently tugged on my hand while at the same time going on about how shocked he was and how he hoped she would be found soon.
 
I happily let Souta drag me towards where the TV was located. Hojo and Eri had helped distract my thoughts from wondering to places that shouldn't be remembered. I knew that if I was ever left alone with my thoughts for too long, I'd most likely start to over analyze the events that had happened with Mr. Matsuura.
 
I lightly shivered to myself as Mr. Matsuura's pudgy image came to mind. That man actually touched me for goodness sakes. His hand had actually been on my thigh! Goosebumps broke out over my skin as my memory began to relive the feeling of having his hand on my flesh.
 
Souta dropped my hand from his grip, which snapped me out of my whirlwind of thoughts. I turned my attention to the brown medium-sized television in the middle of the room where a young woman who looked to be in her mid-thirties was gesturing with one of her hands to the big mansion in the background.
 
“…just disappeared without a trace of her whereabouts. Nobody knows where the young heir of Sakaguchi Jewelry has disappeared too.”
 
The reporter's picture was suddenly cut off as another picture took the screen. The young woman's voice was still able to be heard, though, and she continued speaking about the young heiress.
 
My eyes widened in surprise as a picture of a pretty young woman came up. Kikyou's emotionless eyes stared back at me from the picture on the TV. But the picture on the TV wasn't the Kikyou I knew of. This woman's expression looked like she was used to the concept of laughing and that she did it often. Her hair was simply worn down her back with a small, purple flower in her hair. She wore a navy blue silk dress that covered up the full length of her arms and a deep neckline that would still be able to be called appropriate.
 
I stared at the picture a little longer before I began to listen to the reporter again. “Nobody knows where Miss Sakaguchi is. Her father is offering a reward of 5 million yen to anyone who knows of her whereabouts. Mr. Sakaguchi wants to know-”
 
Souta and I both groaned as the screen all of a sudden went blank. We turned to see Grandpa with the remote in his hand pointed at the TV, a disgusted look on his face. Scowling, he said darkly, “Why don't you children ever watch something educational?”
 
Souta snorted and glanced at the blank screen. “Because they're all boring, that's why. Besides, what would you call the news, which we were watching by the way?”
 
Grandpa's eyes briefly fell upon the TV before he snorted. “You call that garbage news? Why, in my day, we didn't-”
 
“We know dad. And didn't I tell you just to ask the children if they can get ready to eat?” mom gently scolded.
 
Grandpa flushed slightly before he turned his head away from us and to look at his daughter. “If you had of just waited a few more seconds, I would have told them.”
 
Mom smiled warmly at Grandpa before turning around and going back to the kitchen. Grandpa huffed before he followed. Souta glanced toward the TV again and I instantly knew what he was thinking about doing.
 
Warningly, I said, “Souta, mom said come and eat. Not come and eat after you finish watching whatever you want on the TV.”
 
Souta turned his head to give me a sheepish smile. “Oh come on, sis. Aren't you the least bit curious as to what Kikyou's father had to say about her disappearance? They were just about to show him.”
 
I shrugged, not about to admit that I was, indeed, curious. “Whether I am or not is not the subject.” I slipped my hand over Souta's shoulder and pulled him away from temptation. “Now come along dear brother. We have some food to consume.”
 
Souta sighed in defeat before he shook my hand from his shoulder. “Whatever. I might as well not have watched the stupid news at all for all that teaser showed me.”
 
I stopped in my tracks at the word `teaser'. Out of all the words he could have used, he just had to use that one. A mental image of Mr. Matsuura's face came up again and I desperately tried to push it away. I didn't want that now.
 
Oh, look at you. You're becoming a wuss Kagome. Now all of a sudden you're scared of Mr. Matsuura's looks? Okay, so he went way over the line, but that doesn't mean you give him the pleasure of winning.
 
A determined look entered my eye as I made my decision. I refused to be one of those girls that would start to fear everything little thing. With my new resolve, I confidently walked to dinner where, upon entering, everyone else was already sitting at the table waiting.
 
Souta huffed and said impatiently, “Hurry up Kagome. I want to eat!”
 
 
I stuck my tongue out at him before sitting down next to him. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as the different aromas filled my nose. I opened my eyes again and hungrily looked at the grilled chicken, rice, black beans, and vegetables. Colors of white, green, brown, orange, and a dash of red every once in a while were what met my eye.
 
Happily, I picked up my chopsticks and reached for a piece of my fish. I opened my mouth, my taste buds already dancing over the flavor they would soon be met with, when mother exclaimed, “Oh no, I forgot the dilled pickles!”
 
The fish was midway in my mouth before I sighed and put my hand down. I glanced at the fish and asked, “Well, you can always get some at the store tomorrow, can't you?”
 
At the disappointed look on her face, I found my voice volunteering to go and get some now. As soon as the words left my mouth, I sat there stunned, at what I had just said. But the hopeful look on my mother's face was what kept me from snatching the words back.
 
“Do you have any money to use, Kagome?” mom asked.
 
I nodded and sighed. Souta snickered in which I promptly bobbed him over the head. Souta grabbed the spot where I hit him and glared at me. “Well, that was totally uncalled for.”
 
I smirked while mom said, “That was uncalled for Kagome.” She turned her eyes towards Souta's triumphant grin. “And I don't know why you're smiling like that Souta because we're all going to wait for Kagome until she gets back before we eat. We have to have those pickles with dinner, and we aren't eating anything until we have them.”
 
That little announcement put me in a way better mood. I took one last look at the dinner I wasn't yet to eat before walking out of the dining room, silently laughing at Grandpa's and Souta's protests.
 
I walked up the stairs to my room to go and change out of my uniform, and shut the door as I entered. I walked over to my lamp and turned it on, in which my eyes immediately began searching for something in my open closest door that would be more suited for the howling wind outside.
 
As my eyes came to rest on a gray jumper resting on the back of my chair, I was already walking over to it. I picked it up and clutched the warm material in my hand, knowing that this outfit would at least do a better job in protecting me against the cold weather.
 
The cotton jumper felt good as I slipped it over my body. I grabbed one of the black bows lying on my dresser and tied it around my hair, not wanting to feel it slap against my face as I was walking.
 
I silently closed my door and made my way towards the front door where I had dropped my shoes off at. I passed by the dining room where the TV happened to be located and was amused to see Souta's eyes glued to the screen.
 
I shook my head softly and turned my attention to getting my shoes on my feet. Before I left, I called out, “I'm leaving!” before shutting the door, not waiting for an answer.
 
The walk down the shrine steps didn't take to long to get down and in under a few minutes, I was on the semi-crowded streets of Tokyo.
 
I watched in disinterest as my breath came out in a puff of white smoke before disappearing seconds later. I clutched the money in my pocket to make sure it was still there and hadn't somehow fallen out.
 
Some of the streetlights weren't working to well and would every once in a while flicker. Most of them were doing a good job of keeping the shadows away, but some would flash every once in a while.
 
It seemed that one of the shadows didn't like where it was staying because it decided to unattach itself from the blackness of the alley it was in and come into the light. That kinda spooked me when this guy all of a sudden is walking toward me when he hadn't been before.
 
Warily, I watched as the guy came closer, his head down with a plain black baseball cap covering the color of his hair. A black t-shirt and jeans molded his body perfectly. I don't know if it was his all wearing black, or maybe the aura of danger that surrounded him, but I felt in my gut that he was not good news.
 
As we came closer to passing each other, I tried to become as unnoticeable as possible. I didn't dare lift my head up as I heard his footsteps only a ball throw away. All of my senses were on red alert. The guy passed me without any indication I was even there.
 
I let out the breath I hadn't realized I had been holding, and silently began to scold myself for feeling so ridiculous. You have got the world's worst imagination Kagome. That guy was probably harmless. I seriously think you need to-
 
My train of thought crashed as I felt a strong muscled arm circle around my waist. I didn't dare turn around and see who would have the courage to touch me. A deep, masculine voice whispered against my neck, “I want you to not make a sound. If you do, I'll stab this into your back.” He roughly pushed what felt like a knife into my side.
 
I whimpered and I could practically see the smile on the guy's face. “Now I want you to start walking with me towards the alley on your right. One wrong move could cost you your life, so don't bother with trying to do anything stupid.”
 
I resisted the urge to retort at that, and nodded my head. The guy lifted his head from my neck and steered me towards the alley. I wasn't stupid enough to think that I would get out of this situation alive. I would rather have a quick and painless death than have the guy rape and torture me before killing me slowly, though.
 
As we got closer to the alley, I knew I had better make my move before I chickened out. With the element of surprise on my side, I jabbed my elbow into the guy's rock hard side as hard as I could. The jab wasn't hard enough to actually harm the guy, but it was enough to have him loosen his hold on my elbow.
 
I yanked my hand away from his and started to run at a desperate pace. Sadly, I didn't even run a block before those same arms were grabbing me from behind. Some people were looking on curiously at the little display we must have made. I didn't even have to think about it before I started, or tried to, scream.
 
I guess the guy had already known what my intention was from the beginning so I had only gotten out a small squeak before he jammed his lips on mine. I wanted to rant and rave my frustration at the unfairness my luck had turned. I tried to jam my leg into his private area, but he must have been skilled in fighting or was just lucky as he blocked my hit.
 
He grabbed my elbows and yanked my body against his. He was holding me so tightly that I didn't have any room to move, not to mention to attack to his person. There were a few laughs at the display he and I must have portrayed and I felt tears come into my eyes at them.
 
A person even had the gull to take a picture of us. The guy took his lips away from mine and whispered, “Try that again, and I won't bother chasing after you. I'll shoot instead.”
 
I whimpered and the guy smiled. I guess it finally penetrated my brain as my eyes finally took note of the black jeans and t-shirt he was wearing. This was the same guy who had passed me by on the sidewalk…
 
The guy steered me back towards the alley, while mumbling under his breath, “I don't know why you're putting on this big of a show Kikyou. It ain't like we're caught or anything.”
 
I stopped in my tracks at the mention of Kikyou's name. Did he think I was…? Sweetly, I said, “I'm not Kikyou.”
 
The guy jerked me forward and snorted, “You don't have to act anymore. The plan went through perfectly.”
 
I narrowed my eyes, not caring about this `plan' he was speaking of. “I'm not Kikyou. My name is Kagome.”
 
The guy sighed. “If you wanna change your name to Kagome, then be my guest Kikyou.”
 
I roughly tugged on my arm, before it was just as roughly yanked back. “Stop it Kikyou. This joke you're playing isn't funny anymore.”
 
“My name is Kagome! Get it through your head, you dummy! Ka.Go.Me!”
 
The guy turned around at the word dummy, to only stare. I had taken off the hat that had been covering my head and face. My eyes were pools of fire as realization finally came to him. The guy quickly released my hand before laughing.
 
His stupid cap still shadowed his eyes and face and so I wasn't able to see his expression. “Well, I'll be darned. You're really not her.” The guy shrugged before walking away as if nothing happened.
 
I glared at his back before walking up to him and stating angrily, “You're a real jerk. I don't know who you think you are, but you can't just go around and-”
 
 
Wait a minute? Did he just say Kikyou? The reporter's words came back to me as if she was speaking them now. “Her father is offering a reward of 5 million yen to anyone who knows of her whereabouts.” Five million yen….
 
I quickly processed how much money that would give us, and my eyes bulged at the estimated thought. Excitedly, I turned towards the mystery guy before coming up short. He wasn't even there. How dare he leave like that? After all the stuff he just put me through, he goes up and just leaves?
 
I turned around and stomped back home, the whole time imagining what different tortures I could do to that jerk. I slammed the door shut as I entered the house, and kicked my shoes off, letting them land wherever they did.
 
Souta poked his head out of the doorway from the dining room, his eyes searching my body. Apparently not finding what he was looking for, he demanded, “Well? Where are they?”
 
I glared at him and snapped, “Where are what?”
 
Souta groaned and said, “Don't tell me you forgot the pickles, Kagome.”
 
I stared down at the annoyed face of my brother before smacking myself on the forehead. “Whoops. Forgot.”
 
“How could you have forgotten? That was the whole reason you even went to the store in the first place!” Souta exclaimed.
 
I shrugged before walking over to my fallen shoes and slipping them back on again. “I just did, okay? Jeez, don't have a cow. I'll just go and get them now.”
 
Souta glared at me and cried, “But I'm hungry!”
 
I shrugged again and opened the door. “Another thirty minutes won't kill you.” I shut the door and left the house for the second time. Hopefully, the first time out to buy some pickles won't be as bad as the first. If so, well, bummer.
 
A/N: I had intended to put in why Kagome was engaged and what that flash of the camera was for, but my hands got too tired. So next time I will. Also, I'm going to try and have the next chapter up in 2 weeks. In case you haven't already noticed, I like this story a lot better than MOL. MOL is so sloppy and I'm going to have to edit it when I finish it. But I am typing it up. That will be up soon, so relax.