InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devious Intentions ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Last time: “How could you have forgotten? That was the whole reason you even went to the store in the first place!” Souta exclaimed.
 
I shrugged before walking over to my fallen shoes and slipping them back on again. “I just did, okay? Jeez, don't have a cow. I'll just go and get them now.”
 
Souta glared at me and cried, “But I'm hungry!”
 
I shrugged again and opened the door. “Another thirty minutes won't kill you.” I shut the door and left the house for the second time. Hopefully, the first time out to buy some pickles wouldn't be as bad as the first. If so, well, bummer.
 
. . .
 
 
The trip to the store went with no complications and only took me ten minutes instead of the thirty I had planned on. Not that I was complaining about that...
 
 
I shifted the bag the pickles were in to my other arm and reached with my free hand to open the door to the house. A wave of heat engulfed me as I stepped into our home.
 
 
“I have those pickles you want mom!”
 
 
I set down the bag next to the door so I could slip off my shoes. I wiggled my toes to get the blood flowing again before I unzipped my jacket and picked up the sack. Where is everyone?
 
I sighed before I made my way to the kitchen. “Where is everybody? Did you not hear me when I said I -”
 
 
I stopped in my tracks as I looked at the faces of my family sitting down at the table, happily slurping up their dinner. Actually, it was just Grandpa and Souta that were pigging out, where mom was nowhere in sight. Mom's plate, I noticed with even more annoyance, was gone though. I stared in astonishment at the way Grandpa and Souta continued to devour the food in their plates, still unaware of my presence.
 
 
I marched over to them and not so gently dropped the pickles down onto the table. Sharply, I asked, “I thought you were supposed to wait for me?”
 
Through a mouthful of chicken, Souta said, “You took to long. So mom let me and Gramps eat anyway.” He swallowed the bit of food that was in his mouth before his gaze slid from my angry face to the sack on the table.
 
 
“I see you finally got the pickles.”
 
 
Souta reached out with one of his hands to open up the bag, but I slapped it before he could touch it. With a fake smile, I said, “Well seeing as you didn't want to wait for me, I'm going to enjoy every last one of the pickles by myself.”
 
 
Grandpa looked up from his rice and said disapprovingly, “You shouldn't be selfish Kagome. You went to buy those pickles for the whole family, and not just yourself. Therefore, you are to let Souta and I try those pickles.”
 
 
I glared at Grandpa and retorted, “Yeah, but you were also supposed to wait for me! The only reason I went to buy them was because I knew that I wouldn't be the only one suffering!”
 
 
Grandpa shrugged before he beckoned me over to his side of the table. “You took to long Kagome.” At my opening mouth, Grandpa added, “Not to mention Souta told us you came back the first time but left because you had forgotten to even buy the pickles in the first place.”
 
 
I snapped my mouth shut at that and had to mentally debate the intelligence of telling Grandpa the reason why I had been distracted. Not feeling it would hurt anyone, I said, “Yeah and did Souta tell you the reason why I had to leave for the second time?”
 
 
Souta spoke up for himself before Grandpa could reply. “No, seeing as you didn't tell me. You just turned around and left.”
 
 
 
I smiled sweetly at Souta and said, “That's because you were going to throw a temper tantrum like a toddler.”
 
 
I ignored Souta's glare and walked over to where my food sat, still peacefully waiting for me. I licked my lips at the delicious aromas coming from my diner, badly wanting to taste it. My gaze narrowed as I noticed the big chunk my chicken had had ripped out of it. I fixed my eyes onto Souta and, totally forgetting what I had been about to say, demanded, “Who ate my food?”
 
 
Souta looked at my chicken and shrugged, unconcerned. “Nobody did Kagome. You must have eaten some before you had left.”
 
 
I snorted at that. “Do you think my memory is that bad Souta? I never took a bite out of my dinner, so I know it wasn't me. That only leaves you two.”
 
Souta shook his head and got up from the floor. He walked passed me towards the dining room. Over his shoulder he said, “Maybe the cat somehow got to it.”
 
 
I opened my mouth to reply to that, but then shut it as a thought entered my head. Why had nobody thought to put my food in the refrigerator while I had been gone? Were they that unconcerned about me?
 
 
I sighed before I stooped down to inspect the rest of my dinner for anything else out of place. My gaze, thankfully, never found anything out of the ordinary. I smiled in relief before I fully sat down and picked up my chopsticks, ready to enjoy my dinner.
 
 
Distantly, I heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen, but paid it no mind. I was more concerned with satisfying my growling stomach. I picked up a piece of the chicken that was lying next to my rice and happily put it in my mouth.
 
 
I almost died from the pleasure from the flavor and hurriedly chewed up the meat so I could put in some more. I never was able to try that bit of meat, though, because those footsteps I had heard were now in the kitchen and were standing not too far from my spot at the table.
 
 
I looked up again, starting to feel the annoyance of having my dinner be interrupted again. Mom didn't have to say what she wanted because I already knew. I smiled at her as I pointed with my chopsticks to the sack with the pickles in it. She went over to the pickles, opened the sack, and took them out. She smile in pleasure as she gazed at the pickles before she went over to the refrigerator and put them inside.
 
 
I looked up in time to see her put the pickles in the fridge, which made me stare at her for a few seconds before I demanded, “I thought you were going to use those pickles for dinner?”
 
 
Mom nodded her head. “I am. I need them for tomorrow night's dinner with our guests. The recipe I want to make calls for dilled pickles, and I didn't have any.”
 
 
“You made it sound like you needed the pickles now!” I accused.
 
 
Mom shook her head, frown lines marring her forehead. “If that was what you thought, I'm sorry I mislead you Kagome. But I have so many things to do tomorrow and I was worried that I wouldn't have enough time to get the pickles.”
 
 
I shook my head in mock disbelief before sighing. “Whatever mom. As long as you have what you need.”
 
 
“Actually, now that you mention it, I do need some other stuff…”
 
 
I snorted and said, “Well, you better get Souta or Grandpa to do it because I sure as heck am not going out there again. I've had enough run-ins with weirdo's tonight, thank you very much.”
 
 
I promptly scooped up some rice with my spoon and nodded my head in finality. I looked over to my mother, to see what she thought of my response only to see her frowning. Concern was etched over her features as she looked me over.
 
 
“Kagome, what do you mean `run-ins with weirdo's'?”
 
 
 
 
 
I grimaced slightly as I realized what my run-away mouth had unintentionally told my mother. Giving her a sheepish look, I said, “Would you believe me if I said some guy came up to me and started talking to me, even though I didn't know him?”
 
 
My expression turned thoughtful as I said out loud, “Now that I think about it, I still don't know who he is.”
 
 
My mother was getting more worried as each word slipped out of my mouth. I wanted to kick myself as I saw the concern mixed with a little fear in her eyes. I hadn't meant to make her scared.
 
 
Wanting to correct the damage, I hurriedly rushed to add, “It's not like that mom. There was a guy who mistook me for someone else. No damage was done to me at all.”
 
 
Yeah, I don't call having a stranger hold a knife up to my back any damage either. In fact, that's an everyday occurrence, my mind said sarcastically.
 
 
I ignored it and looked over my mother to see if she was buying what I said. She shook her head and said somewhat relieved, “So you had a run-in with a stranger who thought you were someone else, but when realizing their mistake, let you go?”
 
 
I nodded my head in confirmation. “Yep, that about sums it up.”
 
 
Mom put a hand to her chest and breathed a sigh of relief. “For a second there, Kagome, I thought you had been in real trouble. I would have felt so guilty if you had been hurt while you had been shopping for pickles.” She let out her breath in a whoosh of air. “I'm so relieved.” She laughed softly before asking, “So who did he think you looked like? Or did he not say?”
 
 
There was no way I was going to mention Kikyou's name and give my mother another heart attack. I went with my mother's second option and said, “He never said. He just laughed at his mistake and then walked off.”
 
 
Five million yen…You lost five million yen, you dolt!
 
 
 
I sighed at that depressing thought and then shrugged. “It's no big deal. I didn't even get a good look at the guy's face. Anyway, what's done is done and I refuse to go over it anymore.”
 
 
No matter how much I wish I could have done things differently....
 
 
Mom smiled. That smile was as warm and understanding as all of her smiles were. She turned around to leave the kitchen, but turned back when she was half-way through the door. “Have you seen your grandfather anywhere Kagome? I need to talk to him.”
 
 
I looked over to the spot where Grandpa had been sitting at previously, and noted with a little surprise that he wasn't there anymore. “He was sitting at the table, eating his dinner when I had last looked. He must have gotten up to leave when I had been concentrating on my food.”
 
 
“Well, if you see him, tell him we have to still put the finishing touches on the plans we have for tomorrow.”
 
 
I nodded my head distantly, my concentration having gone back to my dinner. I licked my lips and dug back into my plate.
 
 
Alone at last! Now it's time to enjoy you, my pretty.
 
 
I laughed out loud at my silly thoughts before sticking the piece of meat between my chopsticks in my mouth.
 
 
. . .
 
 
“Help your mother up Kagome. She can't get around like she used to do when she wasn't pregnant with your baby brother.”
 
I looked up from my coloring book and glanced over to where mommy was struggling to get off the couch. I gave my father a bright smile and said, “Alright daddy!”
 
 
 
I dropped the purple crayon I had been using to color in the balloons with and jumped up. I walked over to where mommy was still fighting the couch, and apparently losing by the way she fell backwards onto the sofa.
 
 
I giggled and held out my hands towards my mother. “Come on mommy! We can't fail if we both help you.”
 
 
Mommy smiled at me before she placed her much bigger hands into mine and squeezed. “Alright Kagome. On the count of three.”
 
 
“One, Two, Three!” we both cried. I tugged while mommy struggled with the couch. The couch had no choice but to release its hold on mommy with both of us helping her. I let go of mommy's hands when she was finally standing on her own two feet and clapped.
 
 
“I told you we couldn't fail if we both helped together! I told you mommy!”
 
 
Gently, mommy corrected, “If we both worked together Kagome.”
 
 
I ignored the correction and looked over to my father for approval and was met with a happy smile. He held up a thumb and winked. “I knew you could do it Kagome! Didn't I tell you that?”
 
 
I nodded and turned my gaze to mommy; or, to be more exact, mommy's belly. I reached out with my hand and went over her huge stomach in awe. In a whisper, I asked, “Is my baby brother really growing in there?”
 
 
Mommy smiled down at me and put her hands over mine. “Yes, he is. And do you know what I think would be a good name for him?”
 
 
I babbled the first names that came to mind. “Saburo? Minoru? Ichiro?”
 
 
Mommy laughed and shook her head. Her gaze left mine and went up to where her husband was leaning against the doorframe of the dining room's door. “I think the name Souta would be a wonderful name. It sounds so similar to his father's that I thought it would be perfect.”
 
 
Daddy lifted his shoulder off the doorframe and started making his way towards mommy and me. He didn't have too much to walk since out apartment was so cramped and small. When he had reached us, he lifted a finger and brushed mommy's cheek.
 
 
In a whisper, he said, “I think that would be perfect for my son.”
 
 
I looked between the two adults and shook my head in disgust. They were beginning to get lovey dovey on me. I tugged on my mother's dress and loudly complained, “I hope you aren't going to get mushy on me mommy.”
 
 
But mommy wasn't paying attention as she stared into daddy's eyes. I sighed in disgust at all the grown-up stuff and made my way back to my coloring book. But as my feet came closer to my book, the book would pull back.
 
 
In confusion, I turned to my parents to ask what the coloring book was pulling away only to see them nowhere in sight. I looked all around me but saw not a trace of them. Where were they?
 
 
Though it was a whisper, a voice called out, “You are such a bad girl, wanting your parents gone. No wonder it's your fault they disappeared.”
 
 
The voice kept repeating the words over and over. Getting scared, I tried to cover out the voice with my hands. “I didn't do anything,” I whimpered. “I didn't do anything!”
 
 
I looked around for my parents again, this time wildly, but the walls would switch around every time I moved.
 
 
In a daze, I slumped to the floor and drew my knees up to my face. I looked to where my family had been not too long ago and began to cry....
 
 
. . .
 
 
I shot out of bed, my hand diving for my pounding heart. I took in gulps of air to try to calm down, a nice sheen of sweat all over my body. I closed my eyes and groaned at the sunshine that was brightly shining through my window.
 
 
I guess you haven't gotten over that little incident with your father, now have you Kagome?
 
 
I knew that, as much as I'd like to think I had gotten over my father's death, maybe just a little bit of that fear had buried itself in my mind. If that were true, though, then why would it all of a sudden come to haunt me now after all these years?
 
 
I shook my head, my disheveled hair gently slapping against my face in the process. Maybe it hadn't been such a good idea to have gone to bed right after dinner after all. I clasped my hands together in a silent prayer that those dreams wouldn't happen anymore after today.
 
 
When I finished, I sighed and pushed back the hair that had fallen into my face. I pulled back my covers and drew my legs over the bed. It wasn't fair that I was having these nightmares after all theses years. I mean, what did I do to deserve this type of life?
 
 
My eyes glanced towards my clock and practically flew out of my head as I stared at the red numbers glowing back at me. 11:04? How in the world could it be 11:04? Was it still nighttime and I had just woken up too early?
 
 
When I glanced over to my window, the sun was shining brightly, if not brighter, through the glass. I scowled before I hopped out of bed and ran towards the bathroom. Why hadn't anyone waken me up, for crying out loud? I mean, I thought school was supposed to be important to parents.
 
 
It is.
 
 
I snorted and growled, If that's the case, then why in the world did they let me sleep as long as I did?
 
 
Thankfully, my mind wasn't, or couldn't, come up with an answer to my question and so, as a result, kept quiet. Before I reached the bathroom, I made a quick detour for my closet to grab a clean uniform to take in with me to the bathroom. I hurried as fast as possible, but stopped when I saw Grandpa blocking the entrance to the bathroom's door.
 
 
In frustration, I called out, “I am so late for school, Gramps, so don't push it. I have to be out of the house within the next thirty second, if not sooner!”
 
 
Grandpa shook his head and said coldly, “You aren't going anywhere Kagome. You're too late to go to school.”
 
 
Angrily, I asked, “Why in the world didn't you wake me up?”
 
 
Grandpa's tone of voice didn't change as he replied. “You aren't going to school today,” he repeated. “In fact, you'll be lucky to even go to school in Japan anymore!”
 
 
The coldness of Grandpa's words finally penetrated my mind when Grandpa shouted. I gazed at him in silent shock and asked, “What do you mean?”
 
 
Grandpa looked over my pink pajamas and said, “Get dressed first, and the come down to the kitchen where your mother and I will be waiting. We both will explain why your actions just may have caused you your education, if not more.”
 
 
Grandpa promptly flounced off, leaving me very confused.
 
 
What did he mean when he said those words? What had I done? I quickly rushed to the bathroom and slammed the door. Whatever he wanted me to know, I was dying to find out.
 
 
A/N: I had intended to put in a lot more stuff but then thought better of it. Anyway, in case you don't know, when I italicize like I did up above, that's just a dream/memory when Kagome was little (when she was 8). Just thought you'd know. It's important for later on. Anyway, the next chapter will have a lot of questions answered (hopefully). Review!