InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devious Intentions ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Some (more like all) of my reviewers are very confused. I'm sorry! I didn't mean for the story to be confusing for you guys. Hopefully, I can explain everything in this chapter. If you are still confused, even after reading this chapter, ask your question and I will answer next time I post. Okay, on with the story!
 
. . .
 
 
I smoothed my hands over my uniform for what seemed like the millionth time as I stood in the bathroom, still looking at myself in the mirror. I leaned forward to get a better look in the mirror to see if my teeth had any smudges or cheesy looking marks on them; if they did, I would have had the excuse of being able to brush my teeth. I knew I was stalling, but I was very reluctant to go and confront what my mother and grandfather had to say to me.
 
As expected, I didn't find anything wrong with my appearance, but even knowing this, my feet still refused to move. I took a deep breath and slowly let it out, trying to calm down my dancing nerves. It was either now or never.
 
Screw the now, lets go with the never!
 
Chicken, I chided myself gently. I turned away from my reflection, not liking the way my skin had taken a slight clammy look to it and made my way out of the bathroom. I held my chin up a little higher and began marching towards grandpa and mom. They were my family for goodness sake! Whatever they had to tell me couldn't possibly be that bad.
Yep, and you totally believe this. Just ignore the fact that you're quaking in your boots and the idea of a date with Hojo is starting to look mighty tempting, my mind replied sarcastically.
 
I ignored the taunting voice and kept walking until I reached the edge of the kitchen door. Apprehension made its way up my spine and into my bones, making me freeze in my tracks.
 
Mom's gentle voice called out from the kitchen. “Come on in Kagome. We can see you.”
 
I winced when I heard my mother's voice. Was I that obvious to her? Maybe it was some kind of mother's intuition…? I started walking again and so did my shadow. I grinned ruefully but didn't do anything else.
 
My feet shuffled across the wooden floor as I dragged my body further into the kitchen, the butterflies in my stomach growing wilder and more frantic by the second. Whatever grandpa and mom had to say to me must be pretty big if I could kicked out of school, let alone the country of Japan.
 
Mom gestured to the chair sitting next to her, indicating I should sit in it. I plopped myself into the seat, my suspicious, yet wary, gaze jumping from mom to grandpa every few moments.
 
The tension crackling in the air was pretty daunting, but I stubbornly kept my mouth shut. I wasn't going to be the one to break it. In fact, I didn't even want to be here.
 
Grandpa cleared his throat, which in turn killed the tension. Quietly, he said, “You already know why we brought you hear.” This was delivered in a matter of fact tone, instead of posed as a question.
 
I shook my head, ignoring the slightly accusing look in his eyes. Grandpa sighed before saying, “Remember when you went out to buy those pickles your mother wanted, Kagome?”
 
How could I forget? It only happened yesterday, I thought annoyed. Knowing it would make Grandpa even angrier than he already was if I voiced out my sarcastic thoughts, I chose to just nod instead.
 
“Do you know who the person that tried to kidnap you last night is Kagome?”
 
I blinked at Grandpa's words. Kidnap me? What was he talking about?
 
At my blank look, Grandpa stated rather hotly, “Don't play the dummy with me Kagome. That man who tried to kidnap you last night. Do you know who he is?”
 
Realization dawned on my face as his words finally took on some understanding. “Yeah, I remember who you're talking about now!” That's the jerk that had the gull to laugh at me after he tried to kidnap me. Wait a minute... How did grandpa know about that incident?
 
With a feeling of dread in my stomach, I closed me eyes and put a hand over them, not wanting to hear the rest of what grandpa had to say.
 
Darkly, grandpa said, “Then you know what you have done being seen with this man? How lucky you'll be if Hojo still accepts you?”
 
I put my hands down and gave Grandpa a weird look. “What are you talking about Grandpa? What does Hojo have to do with this…interrogation?”
 
Grandpa glared at me, but I just glared back. Mom put her hand on top of his, giving him a warning look. Grandpa nodded before he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest.
 
Mom turned to me and said as gently as possible, “Hojo is the man you are to marry Kagome.”
 
The bottom of the floor felt like it had just been dropped from underneath my feet. I was shocked at this bit of information. I stared at my mother, my mouth gaping open, but no words coming out. What the heck was she talking about?
 
Mom quickly rushed on, wanting to take advantage of my silence to get in what she needed to say. “Now it may come as a surprise to you, Kagome, but it's actually been arranged ever since you were three years old.”
 
Mom smiled sadly as old memories resurfaced. “You see Kagome, Hojo's father and your father met up in a business meeting when you were only two. The two men clicked and became fast friends. Somehow, they got to talking about their children when they were supposed to be talking about a merger between their two companies.”
 
I regained some of my brain cells back to close my gaping mouth as I listened to mom's story. “They got to talking about where the business would go to when they became too old to run it or… died.” Aside from a slight catch in her voice, mom never lost her composure wit the thoughts on losing her husband.
 
“It was decided that they would arrange a marriage between you and Hojo. That way, if something… happened to them, the company would at least be secured.” Mom's eyes filled with tears' and she brought her hand up to her mouth to stifle her sob, her eyes closing.
 
I reached out with my hand and squeezed her hand, trying to comfort her. She opened her eyes again and sent a grateful smile to me. Grandpa must have sensed how hard it was for his daughter to continue on because he picked up where she had left off.
 
“A marriage was arranged between you two and has been going for the last twelve years.” Grandpa shook his head in remorse. “When your father had that surprise heart attack, nobody was more shocked than Hojo's father. The two of them had been great friends for five years.”
 
Grandpa shook his head again, pain etched on his old, weathered face. “The marriage would have been canceled but it was in your father's will, Kagome, to have you married to Hojo. He knew that you would be taken care of if you married him. And because it was your father's dying wish, Hojo's father is determined to make it happen.”
 
I raised an eyebrow at that. Who did this guy think he was? He wasn't going to force me to marry anybody. If I was to marry someone, I was going to do so out of my own free will.
 
I crossed my arms over my chest, but didn't say anything, preferring to wait for the story to be finished.
 
Grandpa sighed and put a hand over his eyes, his hands going over the eyelids in small little circles. Tiredly, he admitted, “Hojo's father is very powerful Kagome. I'm not sure you understand how powerful, though.”
 
I couldn't help the words that came out of my mouth then. “Powerful enough to get me kicked out of school apparently.”
 
Grandpa didn't crack a smile as he nodded. “Yes, Kagome. In fact, he has friends in high places almost all over the world. If he wanted, he could make you disappear off the face of the planet; and I'm not talking about killing you off either.”
 
I paled slightly at grandpa's words and lightly shivered at the images those words came to mind. A few tears fell down my mother's cheeks. I glared at grandpa and rose out of my seat to put my arms around my mother's shoulders.
 
Grandpa took one look at mom and sighed, reaching out with his hand to pat her awkwardly on her own hand. Gruffly, he said, “I'm sorry, m'dear. But Kagome needs to understand the importance of this situation. I don't mean to be so hard on her - or you for that matter - but it's the only way I can think of to get her to understand.”
 
After a few moments, mom nodded her head and took a deep breath, her tired features set in a determined expression. Grandpa, assured that his daughter was alright, turned to me and looked me in the eye.
 
“Do you see why I am so worried about you Kagome? Hojo's father can get rid of you with a flick of his wrist and all because you were in contact with Inuyasha. If I have to lose my granddaughter, I don't want it to be to something as stupid as this!”
 
“That's real comforting gramps,” I said dryly. I paused as grandpa's words started to process through my mind. My mouth fell open.
 
“What do you mean Inuyasha? Was Inuyasha the one who tried to kidn- I mean, talk to me?”
 
Grandpa snorted. “Who did you think would try to kidnap you Kagome? Santa Clause?”
 
I glared at him and put my hands on my hips. “If I had known that was Inuyasha, trust me gramps, I wouldn't have let him get away so easily. I would have given him a piece of my mind of what I thought of his whole bad ass attitude, first off. Then I would have tried to -”
 
Grandpa cut me off with the shake of his head. “You don't seem to get it Kagome.” He turned towards my mother and said quietly, “Give her the article.”
 
Mom quietly rose up from her chair, her hands slightly shaking as she made her way towards the counter in back of her. I watched her with open curiosity as she picked up what looked to be a newspaper clipping and placed it on the round table grandpa and I was seated at. The paper made a small shuffling noise as it settled on the pale yellow surface.
 
I glanced at my mother's face, but wasn't able to read anything in her closed off expression.
 
Just look at the article she put on the table. I'm sure it's important in some way.
 
My eyes fell from my mother's face and turned onto the newspaper clipping lying on the table. My eyebrows shot up into my hairline in surprise as a picture of my face stared back at me; or at least, what could be seen of me considering that my face was half covered by that jerk's lips. I glanced towards the other picture that was next to mine and was somewhat surprised to see Kikyou's unsmiling face next to it. I scowled down at both pictures and picked up the piece of writing, my eyes reading the little paragraph below the caption:
 
A Suspect Concerning Sakaguchi Heiress Found?
 
All has been quiet in Tokyo theses last few months with nothing of interest happening of late. With the exception of the major blow out with the Big Deal last year, one of the biggest drug deals in Tokyo's history, everything has been quite normal. However, just yesterday evening, Tetsuwan Inuyasha, one of the leading suspects in The Big Deal, was spotted with an exact replica of Miss Sakaguchi Kikyou. As reported yesterday evening, Kikyou Sakaguchi was found missing from her bedroom and hasn't been spotted since last night. Witnesses state they saw this new mystery woman and Inuyasha in what can only be described as a `heated kiss'. One witness even happened to take a picture of this incident and submitted it to Tokyo police, which is the picture above the article. As people may know, Inuyasha has had many incidents involving police, politicians, and almost every person with some kind of power. He is, as of know, the leading suspect in Kikyou's disappearance. He hasn't been spotted since the incident with Kikyou's copy, but police are still looking for him. If you happen to have any information on anything concerning Miss Kikyou Sakaguchi or any person mentioned above, please contact Tokyo police immediately.
 
 
I stared at the last word, not seeing the article- or believing it - unable to comprehend what it was telling me. …did that reporter just compare me to Kikyou?
 
Grandpa scowled, and then sighed. “Do you even understand what you're reading Kagome?”
 
I slowly put down the small article, my fingers having taken on an icy oldness log ago. I walked over to my seat, and sunk down into the hard wooden chair. I glanced up at grandpa and said, “Are you telling me that I'm a suspect in this whole disappearing Kikyou thing?”
 
Grandpa nodded, his hands tightening up into fists. “Yes, unfortunately, you are. All because you were seen -and kissed for Kami's sake - by Inuyasha.” Grandpa held up a hand as I opened my mouth.
 
“I know what you are to ask Kagome, and if you would just let me finish, I'd tell you the answer you want to know.” He cleared his throat and said, “Because Inuyasha is, as some would call, the `scandal expert', he is what most people go to, to get a scandal done. My guess is that Kikyou wanted a scandal done for only reasons she knows. Therefore, she went to find Inuyasha to make it happen.”
 
I waved that aside impatiently. “So what does that have to do with me? And more importantly, what does it have to do with Hojo's father?”
 
Grandpa ignored my questions and continued talking. “Now because Inuyasha's reputation as a sandal expert is in excellent condition, I have no doubts that if Kikyou went to Inuyasha, she's in good hands. Of course, that wasn't the case all the time.”
 
I put a hand on my hip, some of my annoyance beginning to turn into anger. “Will you get to the point grandpa? All I want to know is what any of this has to do with me.”
 
 
Grandpa looked at me like he wanted to strangle me before he let out a whiff of air. Tiredly, he said, “Could you explain this to your daughter, Shiori, because I don't have any more patience for that child.”
 
Mom's lips lifted up in the barest of smiles, her eyes gaining their usual sparkle back in them. She turned to me and said, “What your grandfather is trying to say, Kagome, is that Hojo's father had a run-in with Inuyasha some time ago. He hasn't exactly forgiven him for what happened to his daughter, and so -”
 
“Hojo's father has a daughter?” I exclaimed, surprised clearly written on my face.
 
Had a daughter Kagome,” mom corrected softly. She sighed and shook her head in sadness. “And she was such a nice girl; it's just too bad she had to die the way she did.”
 
I raised an eyebrow at that, but didn't make a comment. Instead, I rose up from my chair and began to pace the floor, my patience beginning to show signs of leaving me.
 
Mother sighed and said, “Because of that incident with Eiko, Hojo's father swore to get his revenge on Inuyasha. It wasn't the poor boy's fault, though Katsuro won't listen to anybody when it comes to Eiko.” Mom turned to me with a bone-chilling sadness in her eyes, that I couldn't help but stop my pacing and listen to her words.
 
“Don't you see Kagome? Because you were associated with Inuyasha, Katsuro will be livid. After - if he hasn't already - sees that kiss you and Inuyasha shared, not only will he demand all contact with Hojo and yourself be taken away, but he will also try and make your life a living hell.” Her eyes pleaded with me to understand.
 
Slowly, I said, “So what you're saying is that because of that one mistake, my life just may be over?”
 
Mother and grandpa nodded, their eyes and faces tensing for my reaction.
 
I shook my head slowly, unable to believe my luck. With a small smile, I said, “Well I guess I spoke too soon, huh grandpa?”
 
He eyed me warily, no doubt wondering what I had up my sleeve. “What are you talking about Kagome?”
 
I put a hand over my eyes and mumbled, “My luck has never been good. Why would it change now? Since I didn't want to meet or have anything to do with Inuyasha, of course the crisis I find myself in centers around him.”
 
Grandpa and mother exchanged looks but didn't say anything. I sighed and looked at both of them with a grim determination. “So what do we do now?”
 
They shook their heads, not knowing what to tell me. “Well I'll tell you guys one thing: even if Hojo's father forgives me, I am not marrying his son. I mean, can you imagine Hojo as a son-in-law?”
 
Both mother and grandpa said my name at the exact same time, grandpa's tone angry while my mother's just exasperated.
“Kagome!”
 
A/N: Don't ask about the late update. Life, as I know it, is very hectic right now. I'm just happy to be getting this done. Okay, now to finish MOL. Yeah, if you're still reading this, please review, though, I wouldn't be very surprised if you even remember I exist. Yeah, so tell me what you think of this new chapter.