InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ DOG-BOY ❯ Out of the Frying Pan, and Into the Fire ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors note: I wrote this at three in the morning… talk about insomnia…

Because it was three in the morning, this chapter is a bit shorter than the first.

Anyway…

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Inuyasha, but I can still borrow and abuse he and his friends in the honorable name of fan-fiction…(Oh god! I just saw the disclaimer I wrote earlier, and I'm telling you, it was insane! I think the parts of my brain that deal with logic and grammar must have somehow drifted off and left the rest of me stranded in the world of waking!)

888888888888888

DOG-BOY

Chapter Two: Out of the Frying Pan, and Into the Fire

888888888888888

Kagome may have been a shrine maiden, but she still cursed a blue streak when she found her self cornered in what appeared to be an observation room. A quick glance around affirmed that the only door was currently being guarded by some kind of mythical beast.

There was little to help her in the way of weapons; as the place was empty save for a single shelf, and some kind of cloth (it looked red, but the light made it hard to tell) spread out next to a microscope on a desk.

There wasn't even a chair to swing around. Just the shelf, and the desk positioned under the observation window.

`A Window…' It didn't have any of the wiring common to windows and glass doors of public buildings, but then, this hospital WAS pretty old.

The slash on Kagome's leg ached and pulsed; a testament to the substantiality of the creature that was currently rushing at her, and as if that wasn't enough a seemingly disconnected ache had flared to life in her side, more cutting than a typical cramp.

Looking at the desk, Kagome realized that there was something helpful in the room after all. Provided that the window didn't turn out to be bullet proof, her open back hospital garb was not the ideal clothing to wear while one was in danger of flying glass shards. The fabric on the desk would provide at least a bit more protection...

Taking up the red fabric, which turned out to be a haori, `I'll probably be declared clinically insane after this, but… There's no help for it…' was what passed through her mind as she wrapped the haori around her body, and flung herself at the window.

She felt something in her unclench when she broke through the glass.

She hung in midair for what seemed to her an eternity. And as she hung there, she realized that the sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach meant she was falling.

She closed her eyes and clenched her teeth, bracing for the impact as she fell, fell until she hit the ground hard…

From two feet in the air…

Though she was positive her stomach had passed through the floor, and taken her lungs with it.

Opening her eyes, she sat up and groaned. THAT was one bruise she would feel in the morning.

Belatedly, she realized that though her back ached like hell, the red hoari had protected her from the numerous glass shards on the floor.

Well good.

At least she had done SOMETHING right…

She was mentally patting herself on the back when the evil shadow creature phased through the wall, and lunged at her again.

Kagome managed to duck, so the thing flew over her head, but its claws still grazed her cheek, making her eyes smart. Now that the thing was guarding the exit to THIS room, Kagome scampered right back through the window, hopped off the desk, and quit the room through the now open, and unguarded door, not bothering to shut it behind her as the knew her pursuer would just pull its "ghost" act again.

`What a waste,' Kagome thought, remembering the window.

Still running with the monster hot on her trail, Kagome was beginning to get very tired, not to mention dizzy from blood loss.

`I can't keep this up all night!' She thought, in a frenzy.

Suddenly, her vision of the dog-eared boy earlier that day came unbidden in her mind, and she was accosted with the irrational urge to go see if he was, in fact real.

It wasn't as if she had anywhere in particular to run.

`And I'm on the right floor,' she thought dourly.

Now with new direction, Kagome picked up her pace, not even looking back when she thought she heard a second set of footsteps join her own (the creature chasing her was moving silently, adding to its abundant creepiness).

At the instant she rounded the hallway to the room she had been in earlier that day, the very door she'd been headed for opened, and a figure stepped out causing Kagome to gasp and freeze.

It was the boy from before! His white top and hair gleamed in the half light. His eyes were now open, and where revealed to be a striking amber gold, with slitted pupils that shone with an animalistic gleam.

Luckily for Kagome, her monster had refocused its attention to the boy, and to Kagome's astonishment, it spoke.

"You're a Hanyou!" The thing rasped. "You're dirty blood is a tarnish on the spirit world! I will destroy you!"

`Hanyou?!'

Hearing Kagome gasp at this, the monster added.

"But first I will destroy the girl, and increase my strength!"

The thing swiped at her stomach, but to her (and apparently the monster's) astonishment, the creature's claws bounced of the haori she still had wrapped about her shoulders. That did not stop it from jumping on her toppling her over, as it bit her hand with sharp fangs.

Kagome cried out at the searing pain shooting from her palm, up her fingers and arm.

"Get AWAY from me!" She shrieked, shoving both arms out in front of her instinctually.

CRACK!

The hall was suddenly illuminated with white light, and the monster fell away from her stunned or dead.

Kagome stared wide-eye at the smoking mass .

`Did I do THAT?!'

"Keh. All this over a small fry youkai," Kagome jumped at the voice behind her, and saw the dog-eared boy sneering down at her. "I'm disappointed Kikyou. Why don't you just shoot it? Or did you use your last bullet on me?"

"Look, I don't know who this Kikyou person is, but I'm not her," Kagome said. The unfriendly boy was quickly losing what esteem his good looks had given him in Kagome's eyes.

"And you stole my coat too!" The boy continued, seemingly oblivious to her interjection.

"Hey! I'm not Kikyou!" She said loudly. "My name is Kagome. KA.GO.ME!"

"Don't give me that Kikyou! Don't you think I know the scent of the woman who-"He suddenly cut himself off, seemingly sniffing the air.

"I really am a fool," he said bitterly. "You're NOT Kikyou."

Kagome began to say something along the lines of "glad you figured it out."

"Kikyou's pretty, and intelligent looking…"

Kagome glared at him.

A deep scowl suddenly marred the boy's face.

"What are YOU doing with my fire-rat haori?" He growled.

"Huh? It's not yours! I got it from a desk. I'll have to return it to the doctors later."

"It's MINE," the boy insisted. "So GIVE IT TO ME!"

It was stupid of her, but something about this strange boy made her want to rise to his challenge. She couldn't back down. "N-no! It doesn't belong to you! You wear an old fashion undershirt, then it's your fault, so you can't just go stealing clothes!"

The boy let out a growl.

Not a human growl. But a deep, rumbling growl, that might come from a large dog.

"You've picked the wrong day to piss me off, wench."

Then he lunged at her.

"KAAAAAH!"

`Out of the frying pan and into the fire!' Kagome thought as she screamed.

She tripped, and was happy she did, because huge claw marks had appeared in the wall where her head had been.

By this time, most of the residents who could leave their beds had come to see what the ruckus was about.

They all watch in morbid fascination, and nobody noticed as the one doctor present reached into her pocket.

Inuyasha was about to rend the annoying bitch with Kikyou's face limb from limb when he felt a sudden weight around his neck. He stopped to look closely at the prayer beads some old crone had throne over his head as though she was playing a game of horse-shoe.

"What the Hell?!"

The doctor who had thrown the necklace spoke up. "Child!" She said, addressing Kagome. "Utter a subduing word!"

"Huh?! I don't know any!" She cried.

"Any word will do," the doctor told her.

Unfortunately, Kagome's mind was a blank. She couldn't think of any words to say.

"HA! You puny mortals think you can stop me?!" Laughed the boy. Jumping up in the air, he bore down on Kagome, claws and fangs bared. His odd animal ears sticking out of his foliage of white hair.

And suddenly everything was clear.

He brought one hand back to claw her in half.

"SIT!" Kagome's voice rang out.

Inuyasha face planted on the hard tile floor, an expression of pure, almost comical shock on his face. Some of the spectators laughed in spite of themselves.

Pushing himself up of the floor, Inuyasha turned his attention to the one who had thrown the beads. He charged at her, a murderous rage lit his eyes. "BABA! What the fuck IS this?!"

The doctor remained calm throughout the frightening display. She turned her single eye on Kagome.

"Do your stuff," she told the girl.

"Sit boy!"

BAM!

Hearing a few chuckles, Dr. Higure turned to the residents. "Show's over," she told them sternly. "Now get back to bed."

Kagome was staring at the boy she had taken down, supposedly with magic.

`This is fun,' Kagome felt her mouth twitching up into a grin.

Then something occurred to her, and she eyed the boy more critically.

`Did he say RAT fur?!' She wondered in dismay.

The doctor was gesturing for her to follow, so Kagome quickly dumped the haori on dog-boy's head, and went after her.

888888888888888

A/N: Okay, I just felt I should explain more fully why the first couple chapters of this story so closely resemble the manga. So…

The reason I kept most of the dialog in the first chapter, is that the universe really splits AFTER the events of the first chapter. Up till that point things are pretty much the same. You'll notice that in this chapter, the only familiar dialog is when Inuyasha gets the rosary. I knew I wanted him to have it, because the idea here is to keep the same appearance to people such as Kagome's friends. They see Inuyasha with the rosary in the Manga, and he gets sat at school in an anime filler episode (actually he gets sat in the manga when Kagome and her friends discover a certain demolished bike).