InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Down the Well and Back Again ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or anything else except my characters of Sakura, Sora and Hayato. Those three belong to me.
 
 
**I am so happy with all the amazing reviews I got! I am glad that most people are loving my story. I am sorry I haven't updated in a while, but let me just say- high schools a bitch. I am going to be updating my story faster now that summers here and I have gotten back into my mode. If you want anything to happen tell me and I will be more then glad to incorporate. I am thinking about adding a new character into the mix. Keep the reviews coming! And sorry if this chapter is a little short.**
 
HOW FAR WE'VE COME
By
Matchbox 20
I'm waking up at the start of the end of the world,
but its feeling just like every other morning before,
Now I wonder what my life is going to mean if it's gone,

The cars are moving like a half a mile an hour if that,
and started staring at the passengers who're waving goodbye
can you tell me what was ever really special about me all this time?

chorus:
But I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

I think it turned ten o'clock but I don't really know
then I can't remember caring for an hour or so
started crying and I couldn't stop myself
I started running but there's no where to run to
I sat down on the street, took a look at myself
said where you going man you know the world is headed for hell
say all goodbyes if you've got someone you can say goodbye to

I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come (right now)
let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

Its gone gone baby its all gone
there is no one on the corner and there's no one at home
well it was cool cool, it was just all cool
now it's over for me and it's over for you
well its gone gone baby its all gone
there's no one on the corner and there's no one at home
well it was cool cool, it was just all cool
now it's over for me and it's over for you

I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, i guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come, again
let's see how far we go
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we go
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we go
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we go
let's see how far we've come

 
The Fall
 
I sat alone crying for myself even though I made a promised never to do so again, but being back here gave me a blast from the past. One I never expected to see. On this very hill side, I remember him handing me my broken alarm clock. I chuckled, remembering how I didn't speak to Inuyasha for days. Now it seems all so silly.
 
Sitting here gave me a great view of the training grounds were Kaeda and Sakura are meditating. The training grounds were just fields of empty land so peaceful. I was surprised Sakura hadn't fallen asleep yet. I sure did the first times I trained with Kaeda; of course, I would still probably snore to this day. It was just hard to imagine those fields as the last battle ground.
 
Flashback~
 
“Inuyasha, behind you!” I cried as Naraku's dead tentacle came tarring out of the forest straight for Inuyasha's back. He hadn't even turned to look and yet another tentacle was headed for him. Taking a deep breath, I lifted my bow and strung itsarrow. I could feel the rush of battle and the cries of my friends. `Focus' I told myself as I took aim. My eyes stung with the smell of iron and rout in the air.My arm tensed ready to let the arrow free with my magic tied through its wood and then- there was no need.
~
 
“May I join you Ms. Kagome?” Looking up I saw Miroku. He had hardly said a word to me till now. Would he be making his peace?
 
“By all means Miroku, sit,” I patted the space next to me, “how have you been?”
 
“Fine, but Inuyasha hasn't and I am sure that little girl has suffered too no doubt, but over all I believe the one least likely to be fine is you.” He turned his head and stared into my eyes with an unyielding gaze. It unnerved me to say the least. Miroku was normally never this serious.
 
“Miroku…I …- I don't know what you can expect me to say to that I-,”I was flustered and at a loose for words.
 
His face softened at my staggered sentence, but still he waited.
 
“I didn't want to leave, but…” I bit my lip and looked away. I heard a sigh. Turning back to Miroku, he gazed off into the horizon. His words came to me after he got up and left, “But you felt you had to.” Miroku's words were soaked through with the sadness with in his heart. He was walking down the path headed for the hut. It broke my heart to see the priest go. I felt alienated as I whispered into the air, “I'm sorry-truly sorry.”
 
And then I ran. I couldn't help it. Never mind were I was running, all that mattered was my escape. Tears freely flowed down my face as sweat broke out around my hairline. My clothes were dirty and the thick brush scratched at my skin. The further I went, the faster my heart beat. Faster and faster I pushed my body as it neared its end. I became terrified, but of what? Anxiety was written across my forehead. I couldn't stop now!
 
The well came in sight. I was headed straight for it at full speed; if I didn't stop I would plunge into its dark depts. What to do, I couldn't think! And then the clock stopped as time ran out. It all registered in my mind at the speed of a sloth. I crashed through the age old wood, splintering my thighs. My foot twisted as my right hip dropped into the hole of the well. I fell toward the bottom. My eyes closed anticipating the splat that would never come and I slipped out of consciousness. I never succeeded in fleeing from my past as it saved me from the well.
 
The Save
 
`Stupid girl! She always managed to get herself into trouble.' My thoughts were angry as I pulled Kagome from the well. I shouldn't have even bothered. She kept my kid from me, for crying out loud! In the end it's pointless to get mad at her, though. She always ends up mad at me and that just makes it worse. What was she running from though- me? Did she see me watching her? I smelled fear and frustration as her body poured out her feelings to my nose.
 
I jumped from branch to branch in my attempts to get home faster. It didn't help. I could barely get my grip as my head was elsewhere. It was only days ago that Kagome and Sakura had shown up officially giving me a wakeup call. I had thought it was the end of the world. When Sakura started talking to me and it was apparent that she was mine, I could literally see my world burning to pieces all around me.
 
Was she that desperate to get home that she'd leave Sakura? No I couldn't believe that, Kagome wasn't that type of person. She was good, caring, loyal, understanding and special. What was I- certainly not special, but a lowly half demon? I looked down upon her angelic face that was gnarled with a matter which tortured her to no end. I was sure that matter was me.
 
I had to stop thinking this way. Kagome had shown me better. I was just as good as any demon or human. Everyone was equal. I still had a chance with her if only I could brake back through her barriers.
 
I came across a clearing which just so happened to be the village's hot spring. The water was clear and warm. Rocks poked up here and there separating different parts of the water as a whole. I chose a nice flat rock in the center of the spring and sat. There I waited. Waited for Kagome to wake up or waited for twilight to set in, of which I can't be sure. What I was sure of was when she woke up there would be nowhere to run and I would surely be headed for hell, or the bottom of the spring.
 
It was close to an hour before she began to stir. I watched her come in and out of her dreams that were very far from peaceful. At one point she began to scream. The words coming out of her mouth tour at my heart. All I could do was hug her to my chest as she quieted down. At last, her eyes warily opened while she drew her face further into my kimono.
 
“Inuyasha, take me to land.” Her tired voice left no room for argument, but I disagreed with her anyways.
 
“No, not till you understand a few things and I get some answers.”
“There is nothing else to talk about-”
 
“But that's where you're wrong Kagome. I want to know my child and you're not going to stop me. I want all rights.”
 
“You don't know what you're asking for Inuyasha, there is no way you're up for it,” she sat up some in my arms still tired. The sky was becoming darker. “You are immature, temperamental and not patient enough to handle being a father!”
 
“And how would you know that?” I spoke with a quiet voice, not portraying how furious she was making me.
“How wouldn't I know that? After knowing you this long, don't you think I would know what to expect-” I silenced her with one look as I lifted my head so she could see the eyes that were hidden beneath my bangs. My eyes spit fire at her as I looked upon her with loathing that was bottled up within me for the last seven years.
 
“You don't know anything; allot has changed in the past seven years. I had to raise Shippo by myself. It took everything I had to get through to that boy. After you left, he broke down.” I stared through her and read her emotions clear as day. Regret, guilt, hurt and pain. Seconds ticked by and she hardened once again. Her hand rose to slap me and immediately balled in a fist instead. My gaze never wavered and her eyes became down cast, looking anywhere but at me.
 
“You are right,” Kagome finally murmured, “people can change and so have I. I am not one to easily trust anymore. I am no longer naïve.”
 
“What has brought about this change in you Kagome? You aren't the same.” I could hear myself saying. Did those words just come out of my mouth? I think I am going to puke!
 
Then Kagome smiled. Her smiled was no longer soft and sweat- it was cruel, and definitely not what I remembered. “Well what did you expect? You changed, why wouldn't I? The world didn't stand still. What did you expect? Everything to go back as it was?”
 
“No!” was the only thing I could think of to retort. Kagome just sighed and pushed away from my arms, I missed the warmth completely. As she stood I couldn't help thinking that we still got nowhere. “What about Sakura, are you still going to keep me from my pup?”
 
“No, Inuyasha. Do as you wish and go to hell-” I watched as Kagome didn't get to complete her sentence as she fell, again. The rock she slipped on sank to the bottom of the pool- mocking her all the way as her butt hit bottom in the shallow region. Kagome's head was the only part not submerged as she just sat there… stumped.
 
I chuckled, “I guess some things haven't changed.” And the more I laughed the harder she tried not to, but her attempts where in vein when she broke out giggling. God she tried so hard to cover up the giggles that broke out, but ended giving up anyways. Before I knew it she had pulled my leg and I fell in as she took her revenge.
 
“Yeah, I guess some things haven't,” she cried as she pointed and laughed. That's when I could see the sparks again as she was truly laughing. The air was no longer tense, but light and care free. She sighed and looked away. I gazed up at the sun slowly sliding beyond the horizon. The two of us just sat in that water, in a comfortable silence. It had been so long. I gazed at the sky so long I never noticed her studying me. When I looked back down our eyes met. We danced as we searched the very souls that we use to know so well. Our eyes never lost contact and our heads began to close the distance. Her hand found my chest and my hand hers. I had no doubt she could feel my rapid heartbeat going at the speed of light. I was in heaven, finally the moment I had waited for in years. I looked back on all our time together and it all added up to right now. My pants became constricted and then I was pulled out of my trance as my nose swung my head east toward the village. The smell sickened me. I had smelled it to many times before. Damn my nose!
 
The Great Fire
 
Kagome looked at the hanyou sitting in front of her in surprise and amazement. Not to mention hurt. She had just been very close to having the most romantic kiss of her life and the moronic hanyou pulled away. `He is so frustrating, why'd he pull away? I would have thought he would have jumped at the chance to be close to anything that is almost Kikyo! Am I not good enough to be Kikyo's replacement anymore?' Kagome smacked her head as she tried to hold in her tears, `What am I talking about. I don't want to be Kikyo's replacement! I don't wanna kiss Inuyasha!' Kagome went to start yelling at Inuyasha but he quickly turned around and cut her off.
 
“Time to go.” Inuyasha said as he stood up and went to swing Kagome on his back just like old times. Kagome had her mouth agape in silent protest as she slapped his hands away.
 
“You son of a-”
“There is no time for this right now, Kagome. There is sulfur in the air.”
“Do you even know what that is?” was Kagome's snide comment.
 
Inuyasha growled, “Of course I know what that is and what it means. The village must be on fire!” That caught Kagome's attention as she stood there stunned allowing Inuyasha to swing her on his back. Inuyasha ran as both parents' only thoughts happened to be about a certain little girl.
 
The Witch
 
Sora paced the room as everyone scuttled around her making preparations. Phase one of the plan was complete. Phase two would be a little more difficult. She stood still as Kagura strapped armor onto her body. The next phase would require her in person. She didn't want to do this, but nature's protocol called to her. Sora couldn't deny her instincts and her instincts told her to take blood for her mate. For a mate she had, in fact, never mated with. So why did this destiny belong to her. As Sora's insides quaked with torment, her skin was as hard as the armor that now adorned her body. But she could not fool the skies. The heavens opened up and cried the tears she refused to weep.
 
Kagura watched with contempt and Kanna with sympathy. Kanna knew her mistress' thoughts. She knew her secrets. She knew that just as plainly as she paraded around with eager pride, Sora was crying just as the skies whispered. The skies whispered just for Kanna like her mirror neither showed nor reflected the pretenders. Kanna knew Sora's act well. Kanna knew her hatred for a dead hanyou like the back of her hand.
 
Hayato stood in a darkened corner away from the chaos. He sat back and watched as his plan was set into action. He looked on as Kanna dropped her emotionless mask to glare at his. Then as quick as the glare had come- it was gone. If he had blinked, Hayato would have missed it. Unfortunately for him Kanna was not easily manipulated. She would be his ruin if something wasn't done.
 
The Lord
 
Sesshommaru stood outside Lady Sora's mansion, watching. He was always watching. Something wasn't right. He sent Jaken and Rin to warn Inuyasha. There had been too much commotion around here for his liking tonight and it had something to do with Inuyasha's reappearing bitch. Kami, his brother owed him for this.
 
 
Thanks for reading, don't forget to review!