InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dragoons of the Sacred Jewel ❯ The Two Evils ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Inuyasha or Legend of Dragoon.

~*~*~….shows scene changes or when the POV switches.

I am so sorry for the long wait, so to make it up to you here is the longest chapter in Dragoons of the Sacred Jewel yet!

Dragoons of the Sacred Jewel

Chapter Four: The Two Evils

"And then there was a flash of light and when it faded Kagome had on this silver armor, and it had wings!" Shippo exclaimed as he hopped around Kaede's hut. Since the group had returned to the hut, shortly before nightfall, the little fox-demon had been telling Kaede what had happened in the clearing complete with movements and sounds. "And when Kagome fired an arrow at the demon it glowed, and it hit the demon right in it's head like this!" To illustrate his words Shippo jumped and smacked the now human Inuyasha on the head. Inuyasha rubbed the spot were Shippo had hit and glared at him.

"You had better stop that runt." He growled threateningly.

"What can you do to me? Your human now." Shippo taunted. Inuyasha glared at him and stood up.

"You forget I'm still a lot bigger then you, runt." He growled and lunged toward Shippo. The little fox squeaked and race around the edge of the hut with Inuyasha in pursuit. Shippo ran over to Kagome and jumped into her arms.

"Kagome Inuyasha's being mean to me again." He whined, his eyes big as he tried his hardest to look pitiful.

"Inuyasha you should be nicer to Shippo, he is younger then you after all." She scolded in a half hearted way. Inuyasha stopped and looked at her for a moment. Ever since they had gotten back from the fight she had seem distracted by something. The half-demon frowned and plopped down on the ground next to Kagome.

"What in the hell is the matter with you wench, you've been staring at the jewel all night!" He asked as he glared at the small pearl.

"Hmm excuse me, what were you saying?" Kagome said finally looking up at him. Inuyasha glared at her for a second.

"I'm asking you why in the hell you keep staring at that stupid thing!" He growled.

"I'm trying to figure out how it works."

"And your going to do that by staring at it?" Inuyasha asked as he gave her and odd look.

"Well I might be able too!" Kagome replied blushing slightly.

"Yeah and Naraku might just waltz up and give us the rest of the shards."

"Well at least I'm doing something constructive and not sitting around and picking on everyone because I happen to in a bad mood!"

"Why would I be in a good mood!? I'm stuck in this weak human body until tomorrow, of course I'm going to be in a bad mood!"

"That doesn't give you the right to take it out on everyone else Inuyasha!"

"Feh, stupid girl!"

"Quit being a jerk Inuyasha!" Kagome yelled over at him.

"Who says I have to!?" Inuyasha barked back at her.

Sango and Miroku, sitting on the opposite side of the hut, were watching the exchange with some interest.

"At least Kagome and Inuyasha are acting normal now." Sango comment. Miroku nodded then reached over to Sango.

"Speaking of acting normal Sango…" He said as he let his hand roam…

"PERVERT!" The sharp sound of a slap pulled both Kagome and Inuyasha out of their argument. They looked up to see a very angry Sango on her feet and Miroku, still sitting, rubbing a red mark on his face.

"Was that really necessary Sango?" He asked in an innocent tone. Sango glared at him before she walked around to the other side of the hut. She sat down next to Kagome and continued to glare at him.

"Perverted Monk." She said under her breath.

"I guess that answers my question" Miroku mumbled.

"What did he do this time?" Kagome asked Sango.

"What do you think?" Sango snapped in reply. Kagome winced and nodded. Inuyasha however scooted away from the angry demon slayer.

"If ye were not so intent on bickering then ye could see what possibilities the power the Kagome now wields has.?" Kaede said as she hobbled over to the fire.

"What do you mean?" Miroku asked her.

"My sister labored for years to purify the Jewel of the Four Souls when it was given to her, but she was only able to turn a small portion of it to full good, and yet ye have managed to do my sisters work in a second."

"But that was only one shard!" Kagome protested.

"But what can be done to a shard of the Jewel can be done to it as a whole, I am not correct?" Kaede countered.

"But I don't even know how to use this thing, how can I purify the rest of the shards if I can't use it?"

"Ye must discover how it works then, it may be able to help ye in your quest for the shards of the sacred Jewel." Suddenly one of the village woman poked her head into the hut.

"Lady Kaede?" She called out softly.

"I must go for now, but ye think on what I have said Kagome." With those last few words Kaede exited the hut.

"But if I don't even know what I did in the first place, so how can I do it again?" Kagome muttered as Kaede left. Unfortunately even as a human Inuyasha had exceptional hearing.

"Would you quit whining?" He snapped at her. Kagome looked up and glared at him.

"Can't you be even a little sympathetic Inuyasha!?" She yelled at him. Inuyasha gulped and then went to sit on the other side of Sango, putting the demon slayer between him and the now angry Kagome. Sango then sighed and walked over to the other side of the fire, more willing to risk sitting next to Miroku then be caught in a fight between Inuyasha and Kagome. Shippo looked around and then quickly followed Sango.

"Can you to stop fighting for even a few minuets?" Miroku asked. When he received glares from both of the combatants he changed the subject.

"Inuyasha, didn't you receive a gem like Kagome's?"

"Huh? Oh you mean that red thing I found when we fought that demon today?" Inuyasha said.

"Yes Inuyasha, that red thing you found when we fought the demon." Miroku answered with a sigh.

"You have it don't you Kagome?" Inuyasha asked her. Kagome nodded in his direction.

"I said I would keep if you wouldn't didn't I?" She answered and pulled out the pouch that she had been keeping her pearl in. "It's in here."

"Then give it here." Inuyasha stated and stuck out his hand.

"Say please Inuyasha."

"Who says I have to?" The half-demon taunted and tried to grab the pouch but Kagome pulled it out of his reach.

"Quit grabbing at things!" She scolded. "It's not polite!"

"So?" He snapped and then lunged toward the jewel. "JUST GIVE IT HERE!"

"STOP THAT!" Kagome shrieked and pulled the pouch back. Inuyasha missed the pouch but kept going and ended up sprawling across Kagome's lap. Everyone froze and the hut grew deathly quite for a few seconds as everyone looked over at them. Miroku was the first one to break the silence

"If you wish us to leave Inuyasha you only have to ask.." He said grinning wickedly.

"Sh…shut up!" Inuyasha stammer out as he got up. Kagome just looked down, blushing hard. "Just give me the jewel Kagome."

"Fine Inuyasha, but don't be so rude next time." She mumbled as she handed him the ruby. The moment Inuyasha touched it the jewel began to glow softly. The pearl, still hanging on it's chain around Kagome's neck, glowed brighter for a second. Inuyasha shrugged and put the ruby away for a second. He and Kagome tried not to look at each other, gazing in different directions and blushing furiously. The others looked on unsure how to break the new silence with out provoking another fight. When Kaede returned she took one look and let out a sigh.

"What have ye done this time Inuyasha?" She asked him.

"Nothing." The he snapped in reply.

"I'm going to bed." Kagome said quickly.

"Good idea." Sango agreed and nodded.

"I believe I shall retire as well." Miroku said.

"Feh, Fine." Inuyasha said as everyone started to settle down for the night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ < p>Later, after everyone was a sleep, Inuyasha got quietly to his feet and padded over to where Kagome was sleep. He stood for several moments watching her breath before he sat down and leaned against the wall next to her. He watched Kagome for several more moments before he closed his eyes and went to sleep himself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning after everyone had eaten, they left the village.

"If we go in the direction that the demon we fought yesterday is from, then we might be able to find out if it has attacked any other villages." Miroku said as they started on their way.

"What do you think I was trying to do yesterday!?" Inuyasha demanded furiously. "But everyone kept insisting that there was nothing in that direction and we should go back to the village!"

"Would you rather have spent the night of the new moon outside?"

"……." Inuyasha just looked off to the side.

At noon Kagome stopped her bike in order to catch her breath, but Inuyasha had gone forward a few feet before he realized that she had stopped and turned around.

"Why in the hell did you stop?" He asked her, not bothering to keep the annoyance out of his voice.

"Because I need to rest Inuyasha!" She snapped back in reply. "We've been walking all day, can't we take a break for a few minuets?"

"Yeah, and I'm getting hungry, it's almost lunch time!" Shippo piped up.

"Be quite!" Inuyasha snapped at Shippo. But before he could continue something slammed into the ground in front of the group sending up cloud of dust. Instinctively Inuyasha grabbed Kagome and jumped backwards, making sure that she was out of harms way. Only after he was sure that Kagome was safe did he look. Standing a little ways back from the settling rubble was Kagura, a slight smirk on her face as she looked upon the damage she had caused. However it was the figure standing right behind the wind user that cause Inuyasha to growl deep in his throat and draw Tetsusagia almost automatically and had everyone else in the group on the defensive, a very familiar figure in a white baboon suit.

"Naraku!" Inuyasha growled and drew Tetsusagia. Miroku tightened his grip on his staff, meanwhile Kirara transformed and Sango reached over and grabbed Hirakotus strap, reading it to throw at a moment's notice.

"Surprised to see me Inuyasha ?" Naraku's tone was sarcastic to the extreme. "You stole something from me…."

"Stole!?" Kagome said furiously " Most the shards where stolen from us in the first place!"

"Be quiet Kagome!" Inuyasha snapped back at her. He felt uneasy about this whole thing. Something in the air made his hair feel like standing on end. This whole thing felt familiar, almost too familiar. Something clicked in his mind and he glanced over at Kagome. "Do you sense any Jewel Shards on him?" If Naraku was carrying the Jewel Shards then why hadn't Kagome sensed them earlier?

A look of shock crossed over Kagome's face as she shook her head. "He doesn't have any Jewel Shards! B..but that would mean that that's….."

"Another demon puppet." Sango finished for her.

"Another one!?" Inuyasha turned toward it angrily "When are going to quit hiding and actually face us yourself? Or are you just too scared to?"

"Why would I be scared of a simple half-breed like yourself?" Naraku's sneering voice answered. "I simply don't see the point of fighting you, when this puppet can kill just as easily!" As it finished speaking it seemed to explode sending it's root like tentacles at the half-demon. Inuyasha tried to jump at the main body of the puppet but as he left the ground several other tentacles grabbed his ankles and pulled him back down. With a growl he pulled back his hand and swung in an effort to free himself with his claws.

"Inuyasha, they're behind you!" He stopped at the sound of Kagome's voice and then stopped and stared. While he had been fighting the puppet had sent root around behind, and had formed a twisting fence that effectively cut him off from his friends.

"Huh, Did you think that would scare me?" He tightened his grip on his sword and tensed his legs to jump. "I'll just slice you in half right now!" The half demon started forward but was forced to jump backwards as several of Kagura's Wind Blades slammed into the ground in front of him.

"You really shouldn't be sacred for yourself Inuyasha." She said, hiding a smile behind her fan.

"What in the hell do you mean?" Inuyasha asked as he narrowed his eyes at her. Something about her superior tones was bothering him.

"This!" She shouted as dozens of demons exploded from the woods and went straight for the rest of the group!

"Damn it!" He cursed and tried to jump over the root wall, forgetting the roots that were still attached to his ankles. He was reminded quite forcefully when he was jerked back down and then forced to roll aside to avoid more of Kaguras Wind Blades. Inuyasha tired to sever the roots that where preventing him from reaching his friends, but each time he moved down either the Naraku puppet would send more of it's tentacles out or Kagura would rain down her wind blades. Damn it! Inuyasha thought I have to get out there and help Kagome!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~

The demon battle wasn't going to well either. Miroku was stuck using his staff and spiritual powers to keep the demon's back. He couldn't use his wind tunnel because of the poison insects, besides his friends were so close to the demons even if he could use the Wind Tunnel, someone would be sucked up as well.

Things weren't going that well for Sango either. She had managed get Hirakotus off a few times, and each time being extremely careful were she threw it. If she threw to her left or right and her aim was even a little off then it would hit Kagome or Miroku. If she threw it straight ahead then she ran the risk of hitting Inuyasha. Grinding her teeth in frustration the demon slayer used her weapon to decapitate nearest demon. Next to her Kirara attacked anything that came near her or her master. Sango looked and leveled a glare at the puppet Naraku. He knew we where coming this way, so he set everything up. But why would he go through all this trouble just to get the few Jewel Shards we have? He has most of them already and hasn't done anything like this before, so what does he want? Another wave of demons attacked and Sango didn't have anymore time for thinking.

Kagome was standing in front of Shippo, her back to a tree, firing her arrows at any demon that came near. Most of the demons where focusing on the more dangerous opponents so she had the little fox demon were left mostly alone. I hope Inuyasha's okay…. I wish I could see what was going on in there… Kagome looked over at the wall of roots that separated them and toyed with the idea of firing one of her arrows at it but was stopped by Shippo's voice.

"Ka..kagome!" She felt the little fox demon trembling. She looked up, curious as to what could cause him to be so frightened, and saw to her horror that one of the larger demons had pealed away from the main pack and was heading straight toward them! She reached down for an arrow…and found that she was down to her last one.

"Then I'll just have to make this one count." She muttered and then swallowed to try and get some moisture back in to her dry mouth. She raised her bow and took aim at the demon.

"There's another one Kagome!" At the cry Kagome jerked her head in the direction Shippo was pointed and instinctively released the arrow at the demon that was almost close enough for them to touch. It dissolved when the arrow touched it but left the girl and little fox demon defenseless against the other, larger demon. Seeing her unarmed the creature speed up, and Kagome shrank back against the tree, hold her bow out in front of her in a feeble defense.

"Inuyasha." She whispered, eyes locked on the demons. I could really use your help right about now… At that moment Sango looked up and saw her friend in danger.

"KAGOME!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha dodged another strike and cut the root off, only to have two more lunge out at him. He dodged one but felt the other grazed the side of his face. He was limited by the tangled roots on his ankles and already had many small cuts and scratches. Kagura had settled back now and wasn't really doing anything, only attacking whenever he tried to launch and attack at the body of the puppet. He raised his sword for another strike, when Sango's voice rang out across the noise of the battle.

"KAGOME!" Inuyasha automatically looked over to were he had last seen her standing. He tensed expecting to be hit, but instead of attack roots shifted, allowing him to see the battle outside, and he understood why. Kagome was about to be killed by a demon!

"And there's nothing you can do about it Inuyasha!" Kagura's said, almost as if she was reading his mind. Inuyasha just stood their staring. Dammit she doesn't stand a chance against something of that size! And the others can't do anything!His grip on Tetsusagia tightened and his hand began to shake. That's it, I don't care what happens to me, but I'm not going to let Kagome die! And he jumped forward, prepared to sacrifice everything.

The jewel that he had forgotten about seemed to react to his feelings and burst into bright red light., and for a brief second it looked like a sheet of flame was covering the half-demon. The puppet jerked backward as the roots holding Inuyasha down, snapped as they were burned with fire. However Inuyasha was so focused on Kagome that he didn't notice anything around him as he tore his way throughout the wall that hastily shifted to try and block his way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome backed up against the tree, Shippo in her arms as she started at the demon. She knew that there was no way that she could out run it and her friends were too far away to help her. She had tried to get her jewel to activate but it was barely glowing and she didn't even know how she had activated it in the first place. The demon was almost on her now and Kagome leaned back and closed her eyes, not wanting to see her death coming at her. Suddenly she heard someone shout and then the demon gave out a death cry. Slowly the young woman opened her eyes.

"Are you alright Kagome?" Kagome looked up and blinked several times.

"Inuyasha?" She asked tentatively staring at him.

"What?" The half-demon demanded then looked down. "What in the….!" Like before, when Kagome's jewel had activate, armor now covered him, but this armor was vastly different from hers. Dark red armor almost completely covered him, rising up from head to foot, but the gauntlets had no armor on the fingers, allowing Inuyasha's own formidable claws to show through. Two things however remained the same for both, the head band the faintly showed through Inuyasha's silver bangs had small green jewels impeded in it, as did the whole armor. Also like Kagome's a pair of wings rose from the armors back, with rainbow colors dancing across them.

"Your jewel Inuyasha!" Kagome said excitedly "See I told you it was something special!"

"Be quite!" Suddenly the excitement faded from her voice to be replaced by alarm.

"Inuyasha, look out!" The half-demon turned to just in time to have a demons claws rake across his chest. He stumbled back a few steps and Kagome gasped in alarm, but then he straightened up, completely unharmed by the attack. He had felt the claws scrape across the armor but they hadn't even scratched it. Inuyasha glared at his attacker and then swung the Tetsusaiga at it.

"Take this!" The sword cleaved the creature in two but as it hit flames flared and the corpse was ash by the time it hit the ground, consumed by powerful flames.

"Huh?" Inuyasha held his sword for a better look at it. It looked exactly the same except for a red aura that seemed to flare about the blade. "Well, what do you know? This might be useful after all."

"What? How could you gain such power!" Naraku's voice snapped Inuyasha back to really and he turned toward the puppet.

"I don't know but lets see what this thing can really do! HA!" Inuyasha swung Tetsusagia as hard as he could in the puppets direction, the red aura suddenly growing brighter. What looked like an arch of pure flame left the blade and sped toward the puppet, hitting and turning it to ash within seconds. With the death of the puppet most of the insects fled, allowing Miroku to suck up most of the demons he had been fighting, significantly increasing the odds. Suddenly a red light flared around Inuyasha and his armor disappeared, rushing back into the jewel. The half-demon blinked and took out the ruby.

"Wow Inuyasha!" Kagome jumped up. "You did great!"

"Good Job Inuyasha." Sango said as she and Miroku walked over to them. Kirara, still in her larger form, walked over and rubbed up against Inuyasha affectionately.

"I was right, your jewel did contain great power."

"Feh, so what, it's not like that thing was actually Naraku or anything." He snorted back at her.

"So what?" Kagome asked. "It still means that you have more then you did before right?"

"What good's power if I don't know how to use it?" He asked her.

"I don't know how to use my power either but that just means that we have to learn how to use." She declared. "After all, it took you awhile to figure out how to use Tetsusagia's power didn't it?"

"That's completely different!"

"Really? Why is it's so different? We know the jewels have great power, but we just don't know how to use it!"

"We don't even know how we activated them in the first place! This isn't a sword that you can experiment until you get it right!" The two combatants glared at each other for a few seconds, tempers flaring, until Sango spoke up.

"Look." The demons slayer said pointing. Everyone turned in time to see a badly burned Kagura stumbled out of the woods. She pulled a feather from her hair and tossed into the air transforming it.

"Should we go after her?" She asked as she started to get on Kirara.

"No." Miroku said before she could complete her action.

"Why in the hell not!?" Inuyasha demanded.

"We are all weary from battle right now, casing after an enemy as strong as Kagura in our condition would be foolish." Every nodded in except Inuyasha nodded in agreement.

"Besides something was wrong."

"I know." Sango agreed.

"What do you mean "wrong"?" Inuyasha asked.

"I mean that in all our battles with him has Naraku ever done anything remotely like this before?" Miroku replied.

"No, but so what? It just means that he has some new tricks up his sleeves, it doesn't mean anything."

"I do not think that Naraku spend this much energy just to retrieve a single jewel shard." The monk said. "I believe that he was after something else as well." Miroku looked after the retreating Kagura. "So real question would be, what was he after?"

to be continued…..

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~

Well that's the end of another chapter. I am so sorry that I took so long to get this chapter out but that stupid fight seen was hard to write! I must've rewrote it about five or six times. Anyway, the next chapter will hopefully be out much sooner then this one!

R & R but constructive criticism only please, I will not tolerate flames.

And thanks to my reviewers: emerald dragon hanyou, navya, me , and jubilationl5

-Plantress

NEXT TIME: CHAPTER FIVE: DEALS AND DARKNESS