InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Out of the Darkness ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Out of the Darkness
 
Kagome could feel the youki emanating from the youkai in the forest without being able to see any. It made her skin crawl. She peered into the distance, but the crowd of trees blocked her from seeing anything. She'd feel entirely alone were it not for the oppressing presence of the taka youkai, and that was enough to drive her forward.
 
“Kuroaki!” she called into the darkness, “Come out here!”
 
She was answered by a soft flutter of wings and then silence. She looked up, trying to discern anything among the branches overhead, but all she could see were a few vague outlines of enormous nests.
 
As she continued walking, clutching her bow, the trees continued to get bigger and bigger. Soon all sunlight was blocked out and Kagome could only continue by looking for the lighter of shadows against the shades and shades of blackness.
 
As Kagome went deeper, the youki got stronger, and Kagome let her aura surround her, throwing an eerie pink light on the roots that were towering over her and disappearing into even larger trees.
 
This place, Kagome thought as she touched the rough bark of a nearby root, is completely untouched by humans. She ran her hands along the tree, wondering at the complete silence. It's so beautiful.
 
“Kuroaki!” she yelled again, anger bracing her, “Kuroaki, stop hiding in this forest! I will find you.”
 
It's not right. It's not right that they should live here, secluded from everything and then just... show up one day. This forest, this silence, this beauty… it's unnatural. I will stop it.
 
Kagome turned her head back to the path in front of her, and blinked a few times. There's a light… It was faint, just a speck of white in a sea of black, but Kagome knew it was there. She set her jaw, and walked determinedly forward.
 
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Sango looked at the gathering in front of her in a harsh, calculating gaze. It wasn't the entire town, but she could see that at least one member of each family had shown up, young and old alike.
 
It was enough.
 
“I know that many of you already know the basics of scaring off youkai,” she began, “But I am going to teach all of you the basics, and if I see anyone with a particular aptitude, I might teach them the art of the taijiya.”
 
As she explained the methods for exterminating minor youkai, she let her gaze wander around her students. All listened to her with rapt attention, though some seemed sharper than others, some just eager to please. Then someone caught her eye. A teenage girl was watching with wide eyes from behind the wall of the hut. Only her head was showing as she peeked around to watch the lesson. When she noticed Sango looking at her, she quickly ducked behind the hut completely.
 
When she felt that they had learned enough for one day, she stopped the lesson. She turned to find Miroku sitting on a stoop behind her. He let a lazy smile drift across his face as she strode over to him.
 
“Well, koishii? Any worth training?”
 
Sango blushed at the use of the pet name, but thought about his question. “Maybe…” she said slowly. The faces of some of her pupils floated across her eyes, a young, steady girl, an old, wizened farmer, a new, careful mother, a rowdy, carefree boy. She could pick out flaws with each of them, reasons why they couldn't or wouldn't suit for the training. She hadn't even completely committed herself to fully training anyone at all, yet. I know I set out to teach them to defend themselves, but to make them slayers? The inner debate had been nagging at her the entire lesson. And then there was that girl… Sango was sure she had seen her before. Of course, she had seen almost the entire village before, but this girl seemed to register in some small part of her mind that wasn't giving her any information.
 
Miroku widened his smile at the pensive look on Sango's face. He knew that she had found students and bet that he could pick each one out, himself, although he hadn't been paying that much attention. His eyes had been filled with Sango. He had been unable to look at anything else since she agreed to marry him the day before. He would have told the entire world that Sango was his fiancée if he hadn't known that she would want to wait until Kagome and InuYasha were back before telling anyone.
 
“Well, if the lesson is over, I might as well work on your roof some more,” he said, standing up with a slight groan.
 
“I don't see why you couldn't have worked on it during the lesson,” Sango said dryly, poking him in the gut.
 
“A refresher course never hurt anyone!”
 
“Neither has a decent day's work.”
 
They started down the path, unaware of the smiles and knowing glances passing between the villagers. Then everyone heard a sound that it felt like they hadn't heard in centuries. It caused old men to smile wistfully and young girls to giggle mercilessly. Miroku simply put his hand to the stinging red spot on his cheek, the happy smile still on his face as they continued down the path.
 
Tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Kagome walked into the clearing, awe marking her face. In the center was the largest tree she had ever seen, and its branches were filled with enormous nests. There were taka youkai all around flying, walking, some small, some large, some in bird form, others looking like humans, and many in between. Almost all of them had dark features, and the ground was littered with them, giving it a soft dark glow. Edging one side of the clearing was a clear river, and past it Kagome could make out a few ponds, presumably kept for fishing purposes.
 
The strange thing was that none of the youkai was showing to be particularly hostile. A few looked at Kagome with obvious interest, but most ignored her presence. This annoyed Kagome further. Child-killing monsters should live up to the reputation they made and show their true colors. This façade of relaxed peacefulness was unsettling and made Kagome anxious. The fact that she kept slipping on the slick feathers on the ground just added to her ire.
 
Summoning all of her strength, she braced herself and called out, “I am looking for the taka youkai called Kuroaki. I will not leave until somebody brings him to me.”
 
The takas paused and looked around, nervously silent as they all focused their attention on this small human girl. Finally an older human-looking taka spoke.
 
“So you are looking for Kuroaki?”
 
Tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
AN: I've decided to just respond to reviews in personal notes unless there is a general question that needs clarification. Thanks for reviewing, everyone!
 
 
Sueric: As always, thanks for your great reviews. They are so encouraging!
 
Xenus: Heh… I'm only 17 as well.
 
AmericanMiko1112: Thanks! It's always nice to get reviews from new people.
 
Futekooisha: Awww… * blushes *
 
DarklessVasion: I think you might be the shrewdest of all my reviewers. Honestly, though… some days it seems like you know the story better than I do!
 
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.