InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Duck ❯ Day II: Kagome's Diary ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Greetings, my faithful readers!
 
I express my deepest apologies for the extreme delay. I have no excuse this time; there isn't any for my actions. But I am sorry.
 
Anyway…
 
trekker4life: Why aren't you sure about the SessKaede thing? I mean, I know it's a little odd, but I just wanted to do something a little different. I can see where you're coming from.
 
Megan: I as well am impatient. I'm sorry I've kept you waiting so long… Please forgive me. (If you're still reading this… I hope you are, at least.)
 
Dino: I must admit, I went back and re-read your review a few times. For some reason, it made me smile and think for a bit. Perhaps it was the fact that it stood out of the many "OMG this storie is so cooooolzzz!" type of reviews I get. (Not that I don't appreciate them, which I do, very much.) But I'd love to hear more of your feedback. Email me anytime. Use the audreyapril one, alright? -Insert emoticon here-
 
DISCLAIMER: I'll own Inuyasha when I'm married to Johnny Depp. (Don't make fun of me.)
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
 
(Chapter Seven: Kagome's Diary)
 
(Inuyasha's Point of View)
 
It was around ten in the morning when Sango had stopped screaming. I could hear the cries of a baby coming from inside. I looked over at Miroku, who's eyes lit up at hearing such a noise. He let out a sigh of relief.
 
We'd been standing around their hut all night and most of the morning, listening to Sango moaning and screaming in pain. Miroku had been a nervous wreck: pacing all over the place, his hair disheveled and dirty, and his normally clean and kempt robes were wrinkly and chaotically wrapped around him.
 
Sango's midwife came out of the hut looking extremely pleased. She nodded at Miroku, who rushed in immediately. A loud cry of happiness from inside the hut reached my ears and I started in after him, but the midwife held me back.
 
"Only the husband can view the baby. You will come back tomorrow." She said. I nodded and bowed respectfully to her.
 
I started on the pathway home and Sesshomaru followed me until we walked side by side.
 
"You should read those diaries today, you know." He said to me.
 
"I know," I said, "but I'm not sure I want to read what's in them. I'm a little scared at what I'll find."
 
He nodded and said, "I would be, too. But you have no other choice at the moment. They can't take that long to read, they won't spend too much of our precious time."
 
'I know', I thought.
 
----------------------------------------------------------
 
I'd left the diaries on the counter in the main room in the cabin. I picked them up and walked silently into Kagome's room.
 
The most heavenly scent filled my nostrils as I creaked open the door. When I closed the door behind me, I glanced at Kagome. I gasped.
 
Kagome's hair had turned from its bluish-black hair to a deep midnight. It was longer and it looked very, very soft. She now had claws on her delicate hands, and her ears were slightly pointed, and if I'm not mistaken, she was slightly taller; her legs were longer… leaner…
 
I shook my head from the thoughts that were filling my head. I muttered, "Totally inappropriate, Inuyasha." I sat down. I tried not to be distracted by the scent she was giving off. It was still the same airy, calming scent Kagome usually had, but a sweet and spicy demonic scent added to it. It was sending warm tingles down my spine and into my hands, onto my fingers, and various other places (Know what I mean?), causing me to feel something I'd hardly ever felt about a woman before. I mean, I'd felt little twinges of this sort of thing before when I was around Kagome, but never this powerful.
 
Kagome was extremely beautiful as a demon. She was beautiful as a human, don't misunderstand me, but with her demonic appearance and scent… Oh! The scent! I couldn't help it; I took a very long, deep whiff. It actually made me shiver. It was like a drug I couldn't get enough of, a thirst that only she could satisfy.
 
Something inside me shouted that this was not the time for such feelings and I couldn't agree more. I opened the first diary. There was writing on the inside cover:
 
'This diary belongs to Kagome Higurashi. Please do not read this, but if you do, know that I will personally hunt you down and make your life a living hell. But I will not kill you, I'm way to sweet for that…
 
Well… Unless you're Souta…'
 
I laughed. That sounded like Kagome. I turned the page and began to read.
 
Dear Diary,
 
Today was my fifteenth birthday. But believe me, this is one birthday I won't soon forget.
 
It starts out like this: Grandpa had just given me a souvenir version of the Shikon Jewel, (apparently, that's some sort of trinket that demons would fight over to get ultimate power, or something to that nature.) I was walking outside with Souta when we noticed our cat had gotten out of the house. We chased after him for a little while, and then he ran in the well house.
 
Souta was too afraid to go in, so I (of all people) went in after the stupid animal. I walked down the steps toward the well as I called for him. After about a minute of that, I gave up and turned to leave; and I was glad a minute was all it took, because this well house was incredibly creepy.
 
But something seemed different about the well when I walked by it, I couldn't put my finger on it in time for what happened next.
 
Some sort of giant centipede lady thing came out and grabbed me and dragged me into the well! It was some experience. Not only did I fall into the well, I fell back in time!
 
I'll skip ahead to the good part, because before, I was just wondering where I was… Well, actually. Wait a second. There was something that happened before the good part…
 
After I'd managed to get out the well, I looked at my surroundings. I noticed a tree, actually the God Tree. The same tree that stands outside my house today. It's really amazing to see something like that.
 
As I walked closer to the tree, I noticed that there was a boy standing beneath it. But then I realized he was actually pinned to the tree by an arrow… I probably would have screamed, if I had not noticed that the boy was still breathing.
 
I looked at him more closely. The boy was obviously a demon, because he had dog ears (which I thought were absolutely adorable); he was quite good looking. I could feel my face getting hot as I stared at him…
 
So Kagome thought I was handsome then, too. I smiled to myself as I read the rest of this entry.
 
Most of the first journal was just about mine and Kagome's first few months together searching for jewel shards. When she started writing about the rest of the group, she described us as her second family. That made me smile.
 
For the most part, the diary consisted of how many shards we had and the battles we went through. Not much about her feelings, though…
 
He second diary, however, mention me and Kikyo a lot… The first entry was probably the most memorable. And embarrassing. It made me feel pretty guilty.
 
Right… The entry…
 
Dear Diary,
 
Inuyasha making out with Kikyo. That's what I saw today. Well, I've not sure if making out is the correct term to use, since I couldn't actually tell if there was tongue and all. It's not like in the movies when you see a close up view of people's tongues sticking together. But still… It was a pretty long kiss…
 
And how did I view such an interaction? Well, Kikyo trapped me under this tree and these white snake things came out and bound me, and she said I'd be invisible and unable to communicate with anyone except for her. Which was quite a bummer, let me tell you…
 
So anyway, when Inuyasha had come along and he and Kikyo kissed and they stopped, Kikyo was all, "Come to Hell with me, Inuyasha!" And then Kikyo put some kind of spell on him and he didn't say anything… I just started yelling.
 
Let me just interject here… Um… Why would you want to go to Hell? I mean, an eternity in Heaven, seems a lot more romantic that spending one in Hell, am I right? People in the Feudal Era are so odd… Anyway, back to the story…
 
Inuyasha wouldn't snap out of his trance thing until I screamed his name at the top of my lungs. He stopped himself when he heard me. I don't know if it was my voice that made him snap out of it or if the spell just wore off, but the next thing I knew was that I was being carried out of the clearing that we were in and toward the village.
 
I told him a little while later that I saw him and Kikyo. He was really embarrassed. But who wouldn't be in that situation? But he couldn't understand why I was so upset… I'm not sure I do either.
 
She was sure why she was upset? That made me panic. I hastily began to read more of this diary. She says some pretty cruel things about me in this one. Mainly because I was being mean or that I was going after Kikyo. I still feel bad; what if her feelings haven't changed for me at all after this? I didn't want to think about it, but I kept reading. It took an amazing amount of strength to turn those pages, wondering and fearing what would come next, but I couldn't give up, now that I was in her second diary.
 
At the end of this diary, Kagome had written some sort of letter to herself. It must have been written a year or so after this one because she uses the phrases "look back on" and "now, I" a couple of times. I read it slowly and carefully.
 
I look back on this entire diary and the last one before this and smile. I was so childish.
 
These diaries are my only catharsis to my frustrations. Many times when I'd finished the last flourish of my hand and the last punctuation had been marked, I felt a sense of relief.
 
But when I read these now I feel terrible for writing such things about Inuyasha.
 
I paused and focused on my name. I could tell she's written it slowly: it was neater than the other words she'd written on the page and the letters that were joined were less scribble-like. I could also tell that she'd traced over it a few times, seeing as it was darker and thicker than the rest of the letter. I wondered what she had been thinking when she'd written over it. I continued reading.
 
I know I've said I've hated him so much in this diary, but that's hardly true. I could never hate him. He's so special to me, he's so important.
 
Sure, so maybe he's a bit of donkey's butt sometimes, and he'll go after Kikyo a lot, but still…
 
Sometimes when we're eating around the campfire, he'll catch my eye and look away quickly. I can tell he stares at me, whether he means to or not. Or lately, he's been smiling at me. When he thinks the group isn't looking, sometimes he'll look over at me and give me a short grin as if to say, "Hey, I'm glad you're with me."
 
I know Inuyasha has Kikyo, and he'll go after Kikyo when she's around. This will always hurt me as long as Kikyo is around, but I have a duty to Inuyasha. I have to be his best friend, no matter how much it hurts to see Kikyo in his arms.
 
How many times have I dreamed that I would be the girl that he holds and tells her that he'll always be there to protect her? How many times have I dreamed about the time I kissed him, and wished for more of those occurrences to happen outside of battle rather than in a desperate situation? How many fantasies have I had about Inuyasha finally realizing that I love him, and he confesses his love to me while watching the sunset? Countless times.
 
But I will continue to be his best friend until I die. I'd love to be a part of his life, even though I can't have him in the way I want to. I'll be by Inuyasha's side no matter what. When he's injured, I'll be by his side to tend to his wounds. I'll always be there to cheer him on in battle. I'll always be there if he needs me; I just hope he'll always need me.
 
And as long as I have him in my life, I'm complete. I couldn't ask for a greater feeling. Whenever he walks into a room, something inside me lights up and makes me feel like there's a thousand butterflies in my belly. I feel like I could jump over the moon whenever he's near me. I feel so happy whenever he's with me, or when I'm with him… However you want to put it.
 
I've never been to wholly and completely in love with someone before; and no matter how mad he makes me, or however many times he goes after Kikyo, I'd never trade a feeling so valuable, so rare, so beautiful, and so pure for anything.
 
My hands shook as I read the letter. I kept rereading it just to be sure everything was real. When I'd finished, I looked up, my eyes wide and my mouth open. Unsure of what to do with my hands, I put the diary down and ran them through my hair. An emotion that was all to familiar arose inside me. My eyes watered and tears fell on the desk. It was guilt that consumed me, it suffocated me and I was drowning in it. I wept harder as I thought about the pain and suffering I'd caused her…
 
I stared at the remaining diaries. There was no way a feeling like that could have changed. Not ever. I took a deep shaky breath, wiped my tears and went into the main room in the cabin. I saw Sesshomaru sitting on the front porch, sipping some tea. I was surprised to find that it had snowed… I hadn't realized it was winter. I suspect the last little heat wave we had was the last until spring. I was also surprised to find that it was evening. I couldn't believe how quickly time had passed.
 
I stood in the door frame looking out at the moon. It was reflected poorly on the frozen surface of the lake. Sesshomaru looked over at me.
 
"You should probably get some sleep. It may be hard to, but you'll need as much energy as you can get making your decision tomorrow." He said slowly.
 
"I already have." I said, and I went back inside into the guestroom where I laid my head. Awful images came to mind about what sort of day it would be like after tomorrow. I pretended to be asleep when Sesshomaru entered the room; I could hear his feet shuffling across the floor to look at me. He was probably wondering what decision I had made.
 
"You are not asleep. But I will leave you alone for now. You will tell me tomorrow what decision you have made, is that clear?" He said harshly.
 
I gave him the slightest of nods and he left me to have one of the most fitful nights of sleep I'd ever had.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
 
Well, there you go. PLEASE REVIEW!
 
I can't stress that enough. I love you all and I hope you love me back and you'll forgive me for the long update.
 
 
Review me,
 
Oddery
 
-Insert emoticon here-