InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ Escape ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, but if I did, I am so broke at the moment I would probably be auctioning off certain lesser characters. I'll start the bidding at $100 for Jaken! *Crickets chirping*

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3….

Chapter Fifteen

.

.

.

Kagome crept silently towards her bedroom, careful to listen for any sounds that might be coming from inside. She didn't want to face Inuyasha again, but she knew that she needed to get her clothes back before she could leave with Sango. Hopefully the dog-eared boy had cleared out sometime during the hour she'd spent with the older girl.

Pressing her ear against the door, Kagome listened to the silence inside. It seemed to be empty as far as she could tell, but there would really be no way to know for sure unless she looked. Steeling her resolve, Kagome cracked the door open to peer inside.

'Good, he's gone, and I hear the shower in the bathroom running! Now I just need to get my clothes and get out of this house before he gets out of the shower! Surely he can't hear anything going on in the house when he's in there!'

Kagome was careful to keep the morning events far from her thoughts, and just concentrate on leaving. If she allowed herself even one small moment of weakness to think about him or her feelings, she knew she might not be able to leave him, and that was out of the question. There is only so much pain a person can take, and Kagome went far beyond her limit that day.

By this point Kagome was rummaging around in her closet, which was filled with several of Sango's outfits, as well as her original set of clothing. Each article was there down to her bra and underwear, so after collecting those, Kagome left the room without looking back.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Inuyasha let the hot water stream into his face, not moving at all, even when it got in his ears. He needed to calm down and relax before he saw Kagome again, but the shower didn't seem to be helping as much as he thought it would. Every now and then a stream of curses that could make a sailor blush poured out of his mouth, before he would fall silent once more.

'Damn that girl, why did she act like that? Was she out to make a fool of me, waiting for me to confess before she threw it back in my face? Or does she just not feel the same way. Maybe she wasn't prepared for me to actually answer her question.' A fierce frown crossed his face. 'But if that's true, then why would she ask in the first place?'

These thoughts plagued Inuyasha's mind for a good part of an hour, and the hanyou stayed in the shower the entire time, not caring when the water finally began to turn cold. He wanted to think, and the shower had always been his favorite place for that.

Fists clenching tightly, a small trickle of blood began to flow where his claws had pierced the skin of his hand. It slowly slid down his arm, before washing down the drain. 'If she really doesn't want me, then I don't need her either! I've lived a long time without a woman, so why should now be any different? Kagome can leave for all I care.'

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Holding Sango's arm, Kagome followed her friend down the back stairs and into the area of the kitchen where Sango felt they could safely avoid detection by any demon senses, although the only one that they really had to worry about was Inuyasha. Lord Tai wasn't home, and Sesshoumaru just didn't care.

"Where's the cook? She's always in here this time of morning." Kagome whispered to Sango as they crossed the large kitchen, heading for the garage. Sango had her own car stored there along with many other vehicles belonging to either servants or members of the household. Inuyasha had strictly forbidden Kagome to go there, not that she ever planned on listening to him in the first place.

"She isn't here today." Sango whispered back. "She asked for the day off because she told Lady Rumiko she had a date with the gardener."

Kagome almost tripped after hearing this, but managed to keep her footing and let out a soft giggle. No matter how upset she was, the idea of the cook dating a man that had to be at least twenty years younger than her struck her as hilarious!

Sango smiled at her friend's amusement as she unlocked the door to the garage. Anything that could make Kagome forget about her troubles for a little while was a very good thing! Sango made a mental note to get all the gory details of the date to pass on to her later.

Pulling open the door, Sango almost shrieked in surprise when she nearly ran into a figure standing directly in their path just inside the dark garage.

"Going somewhere without me Sango?"

The voice was all too familiar, as was the hand on her chest. "Miroku, you PERVERT! You were waiting for us, weren't you?" Miroku was already rubbing a large bump on the top of his head.

Kagome paled at this information, wondering if Inuyasha had somehow found out about her leaving and had sent Miroku to try and stop them. Fear, and something akin to hope, gripped her chest painfully and nearly stopped her breathing.

"Ah, I was, Sango, but I'm not planning on stopping you."

"Huh?" Both girls gaped at his figure in the dark room.

"Does…Inuyasha know about this?" Kagome questioned quietly.

Miroku shrugged his shoulders carelessly. "He might, but I doubt it. I haven't seen him this morning, but I could clearly hear him cursing a blue streak in the bathroom. Even if someone blew up the house right now, I'm still not entirely sure he would notice."

Sango smiled wryly at this, being all too familiar with Inuyasha's temper. "I'd be more worried about HIM blowing up the house right now."

Kagome nervously looked back at the doorway, knowing that Inuyasha never took very long in the shower. "Can we just get going please Sango? I really don't think I can face him again."

Miroku obligingly stepped out of the girl's path much to Sango's shock. But her questions were answered when he started following them towards the small green car.

"Miroku, you're not coming! I don't want to be stuck in the car with you alone on the way back, because I know that's exactly what you want!"

Miroku feigned a look of extreme pain. "I don't understand why you would think that of me, my lovely Sango. I just want to see Lady Kagome home safely, and then make sure you come home safely as well."

Sango snorted in disbelief. "HA! You, more than anyone, knows I can take care of myself perfectly well. And when it comes right down to it, I'm a lot safer without you anywhere near me!" The automatic locks on the doors popped, and Sango pulled open the driver's side door.

Kagome opened the passenger door, and Miroku watched them both with a look of amusement. "I guess I have no choice then."

A look of horror spread over Kagome's and Sango's faces when Miroku turned back to the house, his body language clearly stating that he was planning to run right up to Inuyasha and squeal! He was trying to blackmail them!

Sighing in defeat, Sango called out to the dark-haired man. "Wait!"

"Yes Sango?"

"What do you want from me?"

A slow smile spread across the pervert's face, and Sango could feel her stomach quaking in response.

"Just the front seat!"

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Kagome wearily trudged up the long set of shrine steps alone, her eyes never moving from the cold cement below her feet. She didn't seem exactly thrilled to finally be home, but if nothing else, she was happy to get out of the car! Watching Miroku grope and hit on Sango the entire way was not exactly the most fun thing to have to sit through. At this point the dentist would sound more appealing than getting back in that car!

In her pocket, Kagome's hand played with a piece of paper Sango had given her at the last minute. It contained Sango's hastily written cell phone number, along with the main number for Inuyasha's family just in case. Kagome wasn't sure how she felt about having that last number anywhere on her person, but she was glad to have Sango's.

Her friends had offered to walk with Kagome up to the house, but the younger girl had insisted that she wanted to be alone. Understanding completely, Sango and Miroku bid her goodbye and headed back home, all the while wondering if Inuyasha had caught on yet. They weren't looking forward to that confrontation.

Reaching the top of the stairs, Kagome finally saw her home again for the first time since the entire mess had started. So why didn't she feel happier about it? The place was her home after all, and had been all her life.

Looking around, Kagome realized the place was awfully silent.

"No one must be home. I guess that's good, because I really don't feel like facing anyone right now and explaining anything." Furrowing her eyebrows, Kagome suddenly wondered how much her family did know. "What did that note say that Miroku left? I never asked…"

Making it to the front door, Kagome realized she didn't have her keys on her, so she reached under the doormat for the spare. After unlocking it, she entered and kicked off her shoes before calling out.

"Is anyone here?" Kagome yelled.

Silence met her ears, and she smiled slightly with relief. No awkward questions for a while at least.

Moving into the kitchen to make some hot tea to relax with, Kagome took a moment to look around for a note in case they thought to leave one. On the table was a piece of paper, along with a colorful gift bag.

"What the heck is this?"

Picking up the paper, Kagome noticed her name written at the top. Feeling more and more confused as she scanned the letter, she finally decided to read it out loud.

"Dear Kagome. Since we weren't sure when you would be back home, I decided to leave this for you just in case you came back while we're gone. You'll find your wedding gift on the table, as well as a list of things your new husband can help us with around the house. It will be so nice having a man to do things for us! Tell him I said hi and that mommy loves you! Be back sometime late this evening! Mom."

Kagome sweat dropped, her mind not able to comprehend the implications of the note. 'Husband? What husband? I have no idea what she's talking about!'

Not able to help herself, Kagome pulled the gift back towards her, and started shifting aside all the colorful tissue paper until she dug down to the bottom and found a box. If she was confused before, it was nothing compared to now!

"A-A TOASTER?" Kagome stuttered in shock. "My mother thinks her only daughter is married, and all she gets me is a toaster? I feel so loved."

Pulling another note out of the bag, she began to read it as well. "Take out the trash, mow the lawn, weed the bushes, paint the fence.….maybe the best revenge against Inuyasha would be to marry him after all. My mother would work him to death."

At the thought of supposed marriage, Kagome had to wonder about that again. "Why the heck does she think I'm married in the first place? The only way she could have gotten that idea is if-" A sudden thought came to mind, and Kagome shrieked in outrage. "MIROKU! I'm going to kill him! Where's that number!"

Snatching the slip of paper from her pocket, Kagome snatched the phone off the wall and nearly broke the buttons from force as she dialed the number. A moment later Sango answered.

"Kagome? Is that you?"

"Sango, can I please talk to Miroku?"

The icy sweetness of her voice alarmed Sango, but she let the man next to her have the phone anyway. It would at least keep one of his hands busy!

"Ah, Lady Kagome! How can I be of service?"

"What the HELL did you put in that note you left my family?"

The smile on Miroku's face slipped a bit, but a moment later he looked like his usual confident self. Sango watched him warily.

"I am a romantic at heart, and at the time I fully believed love would conquer all, so I put nothing but what I believed to be the truth. It spared your family from worrying about you."

A loud click could be heard before the line went dead, and Miroku stared at the phone in surprise. "I believe Lady Kagome was a bit upset."

Sango smiled and sped up the car a little bit after figuring out exactly what Miroku had done from listening to their conversation. Inuyasha was gonna want to kill someone when they got back, and she was going to enjoy watching every moment of Miroku's demise.

Seeing that look on Sango's face, Miroku gulped nervously. 'Why is it that when Sango looks happy, that never means anything good for me?' He decided to keep his hands to himself the rest of the way home.

.

.

.

.

Miroku just doesn't know when to leave well enough alone, does he? ^_^