InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ ED Ficlets: Challenge Destiny ❯ Growth ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Growth
 
 
Title: Growth
Author: Inu Hanyou Nikkie
Rating: T
Genre: Angst/Drama/Comedy
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 600
Summary: Kagome has grown in more ways than one. She's gained a special Independence.
Warnings: In a way character bashing of Kagome…
 
Disclaimer: I do not own nor make any monies off of Inuyasha and the gang. No, that pleasure completely belongs to the Goddess Rumiko Takahashi, Shounen Sunday, VIZ. I am only using them for pure entertainment value only.
 
 
Growth
 
 
 
Look at me a Woman
Calm and in control
No silly girl
Whose head is always turning
 
(Starlight Express - a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics by Richard Stilgoe )
 
 
 
 
Kagome was a silly little girl once, when she was 15.
 
Before she fell through the time defying Bone-Eater's Well.
 
She would turn her nose up at her Jii-chan when he presented her with gifts. Scoffing both at his wisdom and his stories as it took precious time from her day. Why? It no materialistic value in her opinion. She felt and believed she knew everything and needed no one to tell her different…
 
She was arrogant. She spent too much on products that enhanced her beauty.
 
She was better than others…
 
This was before the Well. Before her fifteenth birthday.
 
Then she was pulled through the Well and entered a world in which everything she felt superior about meant little to nothing at all. It was a Survival of the Fittest lifestyle. A life of serfdom and eternal servitude with violence and bloodshed being the ultimate power. And the ideas and concepts of futuristic laws meant you had a very short life.
 
The one positive thing that Kagome did carry was the instant acceptance of those who were different. Like cultures and peoples.
 
Then she met InuYasha and through him and Kaede, the one person who would chance her outlook on herself and life… Kikyou.
 
 
 
Kikyou who through no outside products was beautiful but her soul had some ugliness that her resurrection enhanced. Kikyou who gave up so much of herself to be so many people to her village without having someone to talk to about her own sorrows. Who found a someone through InuYasha. Someone who also had no one. Through the complete opposite of the spectrum was alone, an outcast.
 
Kikyou who just wanted the one thing Kagome took completely for granted with upturned nose - be a normal woman who could express normal feelings, show normal weaknesses,
 
To be free…
 
 
 
 
Kagome through InuYasha's thoughtless comments about Kagome via comparison to Kikyou helped changed the arrogant girl become a giving, selfless woman that she was now in the end. Kagome through her separation from InuYasha twice, once being sucked into Byakuya's stolen Meidou and almost losing to the corruption of the Jewel then to the Well's sensing the relief and turmoil within InuYasha had pulled the two apart.
 
Everything Kagome went through with InuYasha allowed her to know from all her trials and sorrows… true love.
 
The three years separation allowed for Kagome to see her silliness in her constant and oft times outrageous importance upon schooling, upon her looks… and see herself in a new light.
 
She during those three years apart, finally saw what she had missed all the while during her year-long adventure hunting Naraku and the Jewel shards - that she had to accept some of the responsibility in the cruelty of Naraku's deeds upon others. In the tormented eyes of Sango whenever she returned from seeing her annihilated village. In the pleading-for-mercy, lost eyes of Kohaku. In the hidden sobbing of an orphaned little kitsune kit when he thought no one was around.
 
How shallow she was back then.
 
How she had no backbone when being pressured by her friends into misleading and dangling a sweet young man who was her friend in the future. Making him believe that they were an item. How she just allowed them to make her decisions for her.
 
 
Once the Well had sensed the much needed independence within Kagome it reopened for her. Now she was a woman, calm and in control…
 
… and ready for Life and Love