InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 2: Kuyami ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Orginally Posted Feb 2004
 
Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan…A Moment Lost Forever
Chapter 2: Kuyami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Damn," Sesshoumaru gritted out, wishing he could force himself to stop reanalyzing these events. These insignificant details. He could not do this anymore. This simply had to end. He rose to pace around the clearing, trying unsuccessfully to break away from the tangled memories haunting his mind.

Not for the first time that evening, Sesshoumaru suddenly found himself wondering anew about Chichiue and his delicate second mate, that insolent little beast, Izayoi. He found himself wondering about his pathetic half-brother and his not one, but TWO human women…

Could it be that his whole bloodline infected with this insane perversion for the company of these frail creatures?

Much to his annoyance, he found himself focusing specifically on brief images of Inuyasha's current human bitch, that bizarre, dim-witted, and very outlandish creature, Kagome. There was no mistaking it; she was always ready and willing to sacrifice her own life for the half-breed's sake. She had been prepared to do so, in fact, from very first unfortunate day he had become aware of her miserable existence back in his Father's Tomb all the way to their very encounter last night! Time and time again, he himself had played witness to her obnoxious bravery, her stubborn foolishness…

He just was never prepared to have someone direct that same unwavering loyalty at himself. Not again. Never again.

With a growl, he tried to will the visions away once more…

Rin. Her tears, her terror, her pretty face so pale and drawn as she struggled to his aid. Her courageous attempt to defy a creature she had absolutely NO hope of defeating… simply because…

He stopped his own thoughts with a sneer of contempt.

Pretty? Courageous? Since when did he become a judge of human beauty and character?

A small voice protesting in the back of his mind reminded him exactly when…

Eight summers ago. Eight summers ago, when Rin had first stumbled across his wounded form in the forest.

Sesshoumaru worried his lip with the sharp tip of a fang. He clearly remembered that long ago sunset, when he lay injured and fighting the after-effects of Tetsusaiga's strike, nursing both his bruised body and ego. Alone and in pain, with nothing to do but wrestle with bitter questions of why his father would choose to bestow so powerful a sword and seemingly limitless devotion on a worthless hanyou. He had been so thoroughly absorbed in self-doubt that he didn't even sense the girl's approach until she had accidentally revealed her presence by snapping a dry branch under her heel in the underbrush. He had been absolutely dumbfounded, and remained frozen in mid-attack, completely shocked by the small, cowering figure.

Now he recalled that tiny child, that tiny child that was long gone. In his mind, he saw her undernourished form, and the tattered, outgrown rags that had clung to her frame. With a deepening frown, he also remembered how she gazed upon him with no trace of fear, her warm, hazel eyes shimmering with an equal mix of unbridled curiosity and… and an unmistakable understanding of loneliness.

Rin's pity, he sneered. All those years ago he had scoffed it off as an incredible display of human folly and failing. Probably just as he should now.

Unfortunately, now her pity had nearly destroyed everything. His world, his power, and his righteous anger at his brother's tainted blood were all based on one simple rule, the simple belief that clearly placed HER kind as inferior to his own. It became apparent now that over the years, something about her presence had created a softness in him…a bizarre weakness that he could not identify. What the hell was it? What was eluding him?

Whatever the answer was, he decided it should not…did not…matter.

Sesshoumaru suddenly realized he was up and pacing, and felt a deep welling of disgust at his own nervous behavior. Honestly, it was degrading that he should even lower himself to waste this much time in contemplation! His actions, his decisions, were not subject to censor…not even his own! Only one fact was clear, he reminded himself bitterly: last night, Rin had cost him his dignity.

And, as much as he preferred not to admit it, very nearly his life.

Gods! It seemed only yesterday Rin was a mere child. The taiyoukai remembered her ceaseless chattering, her nonsense songs, her squeals when helping Aun dig up earthworms, her wry, mischievous sense of humor and ever-present ability to irritate Jaken. But, most of all, he remembered her laughter and soft gasps of delight when they came upon flower-filled meadows.

As time passed by and she had grown, however, Rin had become somewhat silent and solemn. Though her eyes had lost none of their warmth and sparkle, her laughter did not ring out as often anymore. Perhaps, he guessed, it was because of the many tragedies she had suffered in her relatively short years. He still knew her to be plagued by night-terrors, mostly from her ordeal with the wolf pack, no doubt. From time to time, Rin would wake up sweating and screaming, her hands lifting to her throat nervously, as if she half expected them to come away raw and bloody. Tenseiga may have healed her body, but some wounds remained deep in her memories, her trauma engraved as permanently in her mind as the angry scars that ran across her pale skin. She would have difficulty returning to sleep after those dreams, sometimes spending hours staring up at the night sky, quietly gliding her fingers across the old injuries from the attack as if they still caused her pain.

But that couldn't be all.

What brought on an unexplained feeling of dread was the possibility that HE was the REAL reason for the change in her persona. It was downright unsettling: the thought that Rin had perhaps adopted this air of reserve, this quiet patience, out of respect for his ways. She had devoted herself to emulating his behavior, and nowadays, a disapproving glance, a small nod, his stance…even the words he chose NOT to say seemed to speak volumes to her. Her warm eyes were always studying him, and more often then not, he'd be surprised to find her correctly interpreting his mood or course of action before he even had a chance to issue a command. The unfamiliar ache burned even more painfully within his chest. His emotions, kept so ordered and controlled, were…what the hell was happening?

Rin's eyes on the battlefield…they had been shining with…love?

The girl presumed far too much.

After his father's ignoble end and Inuyasha's disgrace…a demon reduced to spending a half a century sealed to a tree as a result of a human's spell...pathetic! Sesshoumaru suddenly paused in his thoughts, a deep scowl tugging at his lips. If that was THEIR fate, what would become of HIM?

And why was he still wasting his time, still devoting such energy and concern to the actions of a worthless servant, a lowly ningen animal? Yes, Sesshoumaru mused, this would all end tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At that very same moment, Rin's state of mind fared no better than her master's. After limping weak and humiliated from the taiyoukai's side, she had struggled for at least an hour through the undergrowth towards a little stream she vaguely remembered passing the night before.

The stream had proven to be more of a distance from their temporary camp than she remembered. But then again, she reminded herself, her perspective was always altered as the ground that seemed to blur past while clinging to Aun's broad back often translated into miles upon miles upon miles on foot.

After last night's fateful battle, after she and Sesshoumaru-sama had finally reunited with Aun and a very subdued Jaken, they had traveled quickly, much faster than she was usually accustomed to. Rin's muscles still burned with fatigue. Perhaps the pace had been set to deliberately punish her? Perhaps Sesshoumaru-sama was trying to leave her, just daring her to fall behind? It was difficult to say, she reasoned, after all, she had never seen her master this displeased with her.

With a sigh of frustration, Rin snapped herself back into the present. The sound of running water had finally reached her ears and so she quickened her pace. Whatever the situation with her master, she thought idly, whatever her lord's feelings and motives, she truly DID need a bath. She was repugnant…filthy and brown, from the crown of her head to the tips of her bare toes. She held up still shaky hands for closer examination and frowned in deepest disgust. Her fingernails were caked with gore and her skin was altogether layered in a foul coating of dust. “Dust, ash and gods only knows what else,” she half-sighed, half-sang aloud. This bath would be no relaxing soak in an onsen, but she couldn't deny that it still would feel wonderful to remove the clotted blood, dirt and gore from her skin. She was an altogether mess and at this point it didn't matter how cold the water was!

She had just reached the well-worn game trail that wound down to the stream when an uncharacteristically loud splash stopped her in her tracks. At the subsequent sound of hushed voices, Rin swiftly dropped to the forest floor in alarm. After the horrors of the preceding night and the uncertainty of what was to come when she returned to Sesshoumaru, she would take no chances. Peeking timidly from a dense screen of ferns, she stole a quick glance at whomever or whatever had caused the disturbance.

The closer look revealed that she was not actually the one being intruded upon. Instead, ironically, the trespasser here was none other than HERSELF.

It appeared the little stream had already been claimed by VERY familiar figures. Her lord's half-brother was down there, accompanied by the woman, Kagome, the one she had once known only as `pretty lady'. The miko and the hanyou stood together, waist deep in water, clinging to one another as they whispered soft promises and gentle declarations she could not hear. Their hands roamed each other's bodies desperately, as if both trying try to reassure themselves that the other was truly there.
Rin's eyes widened in shock. Apparently, she mused, in light of last night's betrayal, Inuyasha's heart was no longer torn, and his decision was finally made.

It seemed that Kagome's care had helped the hanyou survive the night, until his youkai powers were restored and he had reverted back to his true form. Rin found herself staring at the curtain of silvery hair cascading down the half-demon's back, and how Kagome's hands drifted through its softness. The miko's fingers trembled as she abandoned his hair to reach up to stroke his cheek next, as if she were seeking to soothe the worry and tension in his eyes with her touch alone. Soothing the worry and tension from his…golden eyes, Rin thought bitterly, just as those eyes fluttered shut. She watched on as Inuyasha pressed a hungry kiss into the priestess' palm.

Kagome let out a ragged gasp and then the demon's arms came around to circle her shoulders and waist. He lifted the young woman, molding her tightly to his body as he carried her to the water's edge. He set her down amongst the sedges and feather-soft ferns growing along the river-bank, his hands slowly reaching for the ties of his clothing, his expression at once possessive and pleading.

Kagome, Rin noticed in naïve surprise, seemed to be almost paralyzed at that moment. The strange woman was just laying there, laughing and crying all at once. Then, with a low, needy moan and a sudden snap of furious movement, the miko threw herself against the hanyou, tumbling the somewhat startled demon to ground where they kissed over and over again.

Rin suddenly felt as if all the blood in her body had pooled into her cheeks, and felt truly despicable for nearly disrupting the tender scene, however inadvertently. The emotional moment she witnessed had obviously taken years to build and doubtlessly held plenty of its own drama. Keeping as low to the ground as she could, she backtracked quietly and headed further upstream. She only hoped that the wind would not shift and reveal her presence to the now obviously QUITE distracted Inuyasha.

When she finally thought herself to be a safe enough distance away to avoid detection, Rin stopped, dropping down to her knees as she fought to control both her nervous breathing and her bright blush. What a complete idiot she was! She'd have felt horrible if she'd interrupted them! So that was, she thought curiously, that was…errr, that soon would be…what Jaken had so haltingly described as…rutting. Rin's cheeks flamed crimson again and her stomach lurched in a peculiar way, as if a cadre of crickets or a fleet of fireflies were loose and fluttering around her belly. Her skin felt hot and oversensitive, and her heart seemed to be beating way too fast. But for some reason she welcomed this new feeling. It was somewhat…pleasant…especially in the aftermath of all the fear and dread she had experienced over the past few days. To her great disappointment, she found that the new sensation faded far too quickly though, leaving her strangely empty inside.

Rin could do nothing but shrug at this latest loss, the loss of that warm feeling. She hurried to remove her frayed kimono, rushing into the chilly water with a muffled shout. Her bath DID prove to be a thoroughly dismal experience, the cold water tightening her already sore muscles and stinging the bite marks on her leg. Yet still she took her time carefully, allowing the trickling current of the river to wash out those ragged punctures, fervently hoping the variety of oni who sank his fangs into her thigh wasn't poisonous. As an added precaution, after stumbling out of the stream, she wrapped the wound with a particularly pungent water plant that the kind-hearted hanyou, Jinenji, had long ago taught her was a combatant of most toxins.

Rin cringed as she spread the leaves and cooling salve across her leg. The strong medicinal smell of the plant's sap, while not TOO terribly offensive to her, was sure to assault her master's delicate senses. It was yet another thing that would serve to remind him of her human frailty. Just another inconvenience, an annoyance that would help sustain his dark mood when she was finally forced to confront him at camp…

If there even was a camp to return to?

Rin sucked in a gasping breath. She couldn't shake the nagging fear that had haunted her most frightening nightmares. Even more horrifying than the memory of wolves, was the thought that one day she would wake…and Sesshoumaru-sama would be gone. That he would vanish and be lost to her forever, having grown tired of whatever temporary amusement he had once derived from her presence, his days of playing protector to a small human girl over without a word of explanation.

Oh gods, her mind cried out, why hadn't she listened to him?

Silent tears trailed down her cheeks as she finally allowed her thoughts to wander back to the events of the night before….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From her vantage point above the field, Rin peeked out over the battle with morbid curiosity. She had little trouble wrestling control of Aun's reins; the beast was always eager to fight and was more than willing to head back into the fray. Overpowering Jaken had been an even easier a task…she had simply nudged the Nintojyou till it dangled precariously from Aun's saddle, then delivered a well-placed little kick as the toad demon bent to retrieve it. He did not have very far to fall, but still Rin waited to make sure he was alright. As Jaken scrambled to his tiny feet, she offered a sheepish grin of apology in response to the exceptionally vulgar string of curses he screamed up at her. She left him quickly, tugging at the reins and wheeling Aun in the direction she had last seen Sesshoumaru-sama headed.

Rin knew her master would be furiously angered by her insolence, but her single-minded need to know his fate overruled any fear of displeasing him. She had seen plenty of traps in her lifetime…hell, on more than one occasion SHE had been the bait!

And this was most definitely a trap.

Clearly, Naraku had something momentous planned. Swirling and writhing in every direction, there were more demons than she could ever hope to count, and the scent of burning and blood and death was so strong that even her own limited human senses were nearly overwhelmed by it.

In the distance, through layers of choking fog, she suddenly distinguished the form of her master's half-brother and his two mikos. And there, beyond them, she could see that vicious, disgusting wolf-prince, that…that beast, Kouga…cursing, crowing insults and shouting as he dodged the woman, Kagura's, razor sharp blasts. Suddenly, a stray current of the wind sorceress' power accidentally raged in her direction, and Rin squealed in surprise, leaning low over the saddle to avoid the impact. When the heat and glare faded, she popped back upright with a shaky gasp, patting her chest, legs and shoulders, quite surprised to find herself still in one piece. Ummm, maybe she should be a bit more careful, she scolded within her own mind. She'd HAVE to be a bit more careful if she ever hoped to find her master in this awful place! But before she could continue her search for Sesshoumaru-sama, however, her gaze fell upon a new scene, and a sharp gasp of recognition escaped from her throat…

There, on the blackened ground, lay Kohaku. His body was broken and bruised, and his sister, Sango, was crouched at his side. The taijiya was openly weeping, straining and struggling to drag the boy towards another crumpled form…the crumpled and far-too-still form of the monk, Miroku. But it seemed Kohaku was too heavy for the woman to bear alone, and blood was dripping steadily from a wound in his back, forming a crimson trail on the rocky ground…

They were all terribly hurt, beset on every side by hordes of enraged youkai. And the fire-cat, the neko-youkai that usually accompanied them was no where to be seen. There would be no escape for them, not unless…

Rin did not hesitate. With quick jab from her heels, she circled Aun back around. They glided low over the trio, strong blasts of blue flame bursting forth from the dragon's throats whenever other demons pressed too close.

She was so, so much nearer to them now, close enough, in fact, to recognize the sudden line of tension in the priest's stance. Dimly, Rin realized her slight mistake: Miroku was stumbling to his feet, preparing to defend his companions. Pure instinct was pushing him into action, driving him to attack in response to the vague, shadowy threat that currently loomed above him. In all the confusion and smoky haze, he had obviously mistaken her pitiful rescue attempt for a fresh demon assault, and quickly slipped the loop of black beads free from his palm…

Rin only had time to spit out one quick curse at her own stupidity, before the air about her erupted in a savage maelstrom. She found herself fighting madly, using every ounce of strength she possessed, just to keep her seat in the saddle. "Nooooo!" she cried out, praying she would be heard above the loud roar of the wind tunnel. "It's me, Rin…it's us! Please…I've come to help you!”

Miroku's violet eyes widened in surprise upon hearing that meek plea and he squinted up at her in confusion. The smoke and the haze had cleared a bit, and he must have recognized her frightened face for he looped the bright length of beads back across his right hand as swiftly as he'd removed them. The sudden storm was gone in that very same instant. The priest promptly collapsed again, whether from exhaustion, or sheer relief, Rin could not tell.

Aun touched down with a defiant roar, rearing and stomping…clearly, he was not quite as forgiving about the monk's actions as his mistress appeared to be.

"Kohaku!" Rin shouted anxiously. In a practiced motion she slid her leg over the cantle and leapt down from the saddle, sprinting the instant her feet touched the ground. She raced to the young man's side. Clasping his arm tightly, she braced his left side, easing the brunt of his weight from his sister. "Please, Sango-sama," she murmured softly, catching the older woman's glance. “Let me help!"

The taijiya's strength gave out at that very moment, and unbalanced and overburdened, they all collapsed to the ground. "You…Rin-chan? S-Sesshoumaru? Where?" Sango queried brokenly, one hand now clamped against a ragged tear lacing across her sculpted bicep, the other hand grasping at the bright tethers of her unusual weapon. The demon huntress took in a deep, lingering breath, clearly fighting to organize her words and thoughts. "What are you doing here, Rin-chan? Have you seen ANY of my friends?"

Rin's shoulders slumped. "Only from way up high…but, oh, Kohaku? How? How did this happen?" Tentatively, she pressed at the wound in Kohaku's back, trying to staunch the flow of blood.

"Naraku…t-that bastard," Sango shuddered, unable to hide the venom in her tone or the fury in her eyes. "He simply called away the shard that has been keeping my brother alive and under his control…gods, I don't understand, why would he take it back now?"

Rin found she was unable to keep the distaste and revulsion out of her own tone a she quietly whispered the answer. "Because the ookami is here as well. I saw him. You must flee…I think Naraku has something terrible planned."

Sango's eyes darkened in rage, and for a moment she looked just as mindless and cold as her younger brother did when his soul was lost and fully possessed. "Unbelievable," she muttered, as Rin rose to help her guide the injured Kohaku the remainder of the distance to the monk. "So, Naraku has nearly all the remaining Shikon no Kakera within his grasp right now? Is this how it ends?” A single tear glistened from her dirt streaked cheek until she swiped it away roughly with a leather clad knuckle. “Defeat I can handle now…I can fight Naraku another day. But I will not lose either one of these men to him! Come on then, we have to get these two out of here."

Rin nodded her agreement.

But Kohaku suddenly groaned aloud, and attempted to win free from their hold, startling them both. "Aneue…just put me down," came his tired, muffled protest. "Please hurry, please run…just go…"

"Be quiet, little brother. Be quiet and save some of your strength," Sango interrupted, fondly smoothing the young man's hair back from his forehead with a bruised hand. When Kohaku settled under her touch, she released the boy, trusting him to Rin's care as she knelt to examine her other companion. "Miroku, daijoubu?” she asked, fingers probing at a deep gash on his temple. “Can you stand?" The taijiya waited anxiously for an affirmative nod and a slow, sleepy smile from the monk before returning to her brother. "You're going to be fine, Kohaku. I'll take care of you,” she promised feverishly. “I've waited so long…you'll come back to the village with us…there's someone I want you to meet there. I have a daughter now, did you know? She'll be three this autumn. I named her Kaisei…after mother…do you remember our mother now?" She stared pleadingly down into her brother's eyes and held his hand in a fierce grip.

Kohaku's eyes were glazed with pain and regret. "Yes, Sango…I can finally remember our mother, how skilled a slayer she was and…and how kind. But in remembering that, I can…I can also remember father now, too…I remember how he died…how I killed him," he answered bitterly, turning his face into the dirt. "I've done…so much…just leave me here."

"Shhh, keep listening to me," Sango continued, ignoring the boy's defeated words. "Houshi-sama…Miroku…he's my husband now, did you know that? Think about it…if none of this had happened, perhaps I never would have found him! And look, Kohaku, look who else is here! Don't you see this girl? Don't you remember her?"

"Rin-chan?" Kohaku gasped, lifting himself onto his elbows to stare up at her face in wonder.

Rin offered the wounded boy a shy, encouraging smile and squeezed his trembling hand tightly within her own.

Miroku was suddenly on his feet, his hands scrabbling in his robes to draw out a crisp stack of ofuda. "Come on!" he shouted, effectively ending the bittersweet reunion. "We cannot linger here…something's coming. I sense a great concentration of jyaki. Sango, get going! Whatever this is, I'm sure I can hold it off for awhile…"

Rin stared at the monk in disbelief, hardly recognizing his resigned tone. She gasped, only now noticing how out of focus his gaze was. He was not breathing, he WAS panting, and, if possible, his skin seemed even paler than Sesshoumaru-sama's. His dark hair was plastered to his forehead and a line of red venom was steadily extending up his arm. No doubt about it, the monk had been poisoned by Naraku's Saimyoshou. Rin whirled around, finding the ground was littered with the cracked and broken corpses of the deadly insects. Obviously, she realized, the taijiya had tried to hold the creatures off her husband…but…but there had been too many.

Sango growled and gripped Miroku tightly by the collar of his robe. "No! No! I won't lose you!" she challenged. “Sukebe! You filthy pervert! Just as I won't have you sneaking off with those damn village girls, or running away to drink in road-houses, I won't let you die on me either!"

Despite the dire situation, Miroku let out a warm chuckle and pressed his fingers to Sango's lips to silence her. “So be it,” he murmured, his free hand wandering around to plant firmly on the un-suspecting taijiya's tempting backside. Surprisingly, the woman only burrowed closer to his chest and did not react, apparently content to let that hand remain there.  

At that very moment, Rin's mind was made up.

"Stop!" she yelled, waving her arms. Her cheeks immediately flared to an interesting shade of pink at speaking at such an un-characteristically high volume of voice. Everyone's eyes fell upon her in surprise, increasing her embarrassment ten-fold. Rin tried to remain composed under their sharp stares. "Aun, come here,” she ordered. “Take these people…take them wherever they need to go."

The dragon let out a disbelieving snort at her command. His twin heads drooped, muzzles practically scraping the ground. He whined in protest, before slowly shuffling over to her side. Rin scowled up at the youkai, snapping her fingers and clucking her tongue to get him to move a bit more quickly.

Sango let go of her husband and turned to back the girl, laying a callused hand on her shoulder. "But…but what about you?" the taijiya asked.

Rin's eyes shimmered with emotion as she began her soft reply. "Your husband, your brother, your little daughter, if you leave NOW, my way, you get to keep them all. Sango-sama, YOU have what you came for…" She trailed off slowly, gesturing back at Kohaku and Miroku, before continuing. "But I came to be with my master. I need to find him. There's something VERY wrong here."

Rin lowered her eyes nervously and waited for their response. She couldn't remember a time when she spoken so many words at once, or had her opinion counted while debating a course of action. Really, she couldn't decide if it was sickening or exhilarating.

"Have you lost your mind, girl? Look at all the demons?!" Miroku exclaimed. Now it was his turn to wave his hands wildly in the air, an action which set the rings of his staff jangling loudly.

"No, it's alright," Rin answered proudly. "My master, Sesshoumaru-sama, is here…somewhere. I'll find him. He'll keep me safe." She flashed an easy, trusting smile, believing her own statement to the very depths of her heart and soul.

But Sango seemed less than convinced and eyed her critically. “Ahhh, Rin-chan, does your master even know you're here?”

Rin blanched at the demon slayer's shrewd observation. But, luckily, she recovered quickly. “Of course,” she snapped, the lie sitting so heavy and thick on her tongue. “Of course, HE knows everything! HE knows exactly where I am!”

Sango nodded, seeming somewhat satisfied. She quickly marched to a felled oni and yanked a spear from its gut. "Here," she whispered urgently, pressing the weapon into Rin's hands. "Do you know how to use this?"

Rin eyes widened with unexpected glee and she let out a light giggle. "Ummm…I try to stick the pointy end into any demon that gets too close to me?" Her laughter proved infectious and it appeared Sango couldn't help the wry grin that spread across her own face in response to the girl's awful joke.

The taijiya's smile grew even wider as she leapt onto Aun's broad back extending a hand to help her brother and husband up behind her. The dragon hissed at their weight, sidling from side to side in a half-hearted attempt unseat to them. But Sango wasn't daunted in the least and merely took the reins in a firm hand, offering the youkai quick pat to reassure him about his unfamiliar cargo. With one last laugh, she shouted a quick farewell down to Rin. "Stick the pointy end into…ha, that was a good one! Just when I was beginning to wonder how someone so sweet could possibly have grown up with Sesshoumaru, you hit me with his sarcasm," she quipped. “Very, very nice!”

Rin blushed, finding any observation that linked her mannerisms to those of her great master to be the highest form of compliment ever. She suddenly found herself filled with all manner of illogical, maidenly thoughts, and wondered briefly if Sesshoumaru-sama HIMSELF ever noticed how hard she tried to imitate him. Rin wondered if he ever noticed the great pains she undertook each and everyday. She wondered if he ever recognized how desperately she fought to behave only in the ways that seemed to please him most…hoping to see if she could win one of his rare smiles, hoping to see if she could coax him to speak to her, hoping to see if she could make his amber eyes meet with her own. Her out of place musings were quickly ended by a fierce bout of rumbling from Aun.

It appeared that donating the dragon's strength and service was much easier in verbal agreement than in actuality. At first, Aun obstinately refused to leave her. He spun wildly, trying to throw his new riders. Then, when the swift circles failed to remove them from his back, he promptly began to buck. But even weary and injured, Kohaku, Sango and Miroku were all experienced riders, wise to such tricks, and proved far too difficult to dislodge. As a last resort, the dragon whipped one head around, his needle-teeth snapping and planting...none-too-gently...in the houshi's long robes. “Fuck,” the priest gasped, treating them all to an astonishing display of rather unholy vocabulary.

Rin shook her head at Aun's antics and stepped forward to slap the stubborn creature on the flank, finally succeeding in driving him into the air. He gave two last mournful rumbles. "Get them out of here!" she called after him, casting the proud beast an adoring grin. "If you're so worried, Ahhh, Unnnn, go quickly and hurry back for ME!"

Rin's smile faded as she watched the retreating group disappear over the horizon. She readjusted her clumsy hold on the foreign weapon in her hands, then turned and raced into the battle.

She was REALLY in trouble now, she mused. Until Aun returned, the only way for her to get out of here safely was to find Sesshoumaru-sama…

At that very moment, a lumbering demon charged out of the mist to meet her, the rusty edge of his dull halberd streaking right towards her face. Rin froze, and despite her glib words to Sango, was now completely unsure of what she should do. Luckily, the demon confronting her had not anticipated meeting so tiny, or so motionless, of an adversary. His halberd cut past her head, whistling through the air several inches above the long ponytail that secured her wavy bangs…

Pointy end! Pointy end! Pointy end goes into any demon that comes to close! Rin's mind squeaked and she suddenly remembered what needed to be done. She closed her hazel eyes and lurched into motion, shoving the spear forward with a defiant cry. Much to her surprise the weapon struck into something…something…squishy. She cracked an eyelid, and her face twisted in disgust at that sight that awaited her.

Her spear…it was sticking straight out of the oni's right eye. The demon wailed and stumbled about in shock, tripping and falling heavily to the ground, his own clumsy flailing driving the weapon into his rather primitive brain. He twitched a few times, kicking out with powerful and disgustingly hairy legs, and then lay still.

Dead.  

“Ewww,” Rin whispered, wrinkling her nose at the black blood and pulp dripping from the demon's skull. That thing…she had killed it. She had brought that monster down all by herself! And without any screams for help, without any hysterics, without needing a rescue! Surprisingly, at that moment, she felt weak rather than powerful and empowered. It was like someone had pulled out all of her muscles and replaced them with overcooked noodles. Her emotions were surging wildly and she quickly struggled to make sense of them all. Is this what her master felt when he fought? Is this what he craved…this sudden fear that gave away to primal exhilaration and horror?

For herself, she wasn't sure if she really liked the feeling.

She was still too shocked, too numb, to be really proud of her own accomplishment, and so she just stared down at the dead youkai, shuffling her bare feet in the dust.

She didn't get to remain that way for long.

There was a sudden explosion to her left, an explosion so powerful that it rocked the very ground. Rin shielded her eyes against the flare of light that followed the noise, squinting into the sky to identity whatever or whoever had caused the blast. There, high above her, six spinning crescent blades cut through the air; slicing along with the wind currents. The girl knew them at once. No doubt in her mind…that was…that was Kagura's power. There was a second explosion, and then the crash of an impact, the sick thud of a body slamming into rock. That noise was quickly followed by another sound, a whirring sound, like a mighty cyclone. Rin cocked her head, falling back in instinctive fear as she suddenly heard a deep laugh: loud, gravelly and wild. She gasped, her memories bringing forth images of the creature responsible for that distinctively arrogant laugh…

The wolf. The wolf was fighting the wind witch, he was pursing her, hunting her down. The pair was now headed her way, coming closer and closer with each second that passed. Rin shook all over, a cold sheen of sweat drenching her brow.

Wolves. A wolf was coming. It didn't matter that it wasn't after her. She couldn't stay here anymore.

Without wasting another moment, she set herself to the difficult…and disgusting…task of retrieving her spear, now crushed under the demon's considerable bulk. Surprisingly, the spear was much easier to reclaim than she thought it would be. As it slid free of the demon's eye socket, Rin groaned, instantly noticing the reason for the ease in which it came loose.

The weapon was broken in half.

Rin cursed her luck, letting the end of the spear dangle loosely from her fingers. But she knew she had to run…NOW…if she wished to avoid Kouga and Kagura. She turned and fled, leaping behind a boulder just as they crashed past her, Kouga roaring with laughter, and Kagura clutching at her bloody, empty chest and screaming fierce, highly unladylike epitaphs back at him. Rin breathed a sigh of relief as they sped onward without noticing her. She was just beginning to ponder her next course of action, when something bumped into her.

Rin stumbled, more annoyed than frightened now, her hands slapping at the sudden pain in her thigh. She brought her fingers up to sweep her bangs from her eyes, wondering what had brushed against her leg. She let out a low cry, as her hands came away slick with blood. And even in the dark light she could she the blood was red. It was human blood, her own blood.

There was a quick mocking laugh and Rin whirled around to find a particularly ugly little youkai leering at her. It had a long snake-like body, a round, bony jaw brimming with sharp rows of scissor teeth, and, most repulsive of all, a keen and far too human shaped pair of eyes. Most of the face seemed sickeningly human, in fact…all and all it was like someone had taken a VERY, VERY ugly old man's face and smashed onto an fat, slimy eel's body. Before she could spit out a word, it had launched itself back into the air, streaking towards her, whip tail snapping. This time Rin didn't close her eyes. Though she was small and not very strong, her aim had always been true. The broken spear tore through the demon's green skin, piercing the place where the human like neck met the ribbon-like body. The wound wasn't lethal, but…for the moment…it had pinned the beast to the ground. The demon fought against the spear's hold, railing up at her, spitting and foaming and cursing in a high-pitched, ear-splitting whine.  

As Rin lay back to gather her wits, she quickly examined the ragged wound on her thigh, and knew couldn't let the creature live. It was in a mad fury and it had already bitten her once. It had gotten a taste of her blood and knew her scent, and if it got loose it would hunt her down and kill her. She shifted along the ground, her lashes lowered but her eyes unwavering and never leaving the youkai's hideous face. Her shaky fingers settled about a smooth stone and she gripped it tightly to her chest. Slowly, she rose and advanced upon the trapped youkai, feeling more than a little sick to her stomach.

She gritted her teeth, raised her fist, and struck --- all the while pretending she was merely helping Jaken dispatch some fat trout they had just wrestled onto a riverbank.

When it was done she scrambled up a sharp outcropping of gravel, not only seeking cover but a higher vantage point from which to locate Sesshoumaru-sama. Her thigh was throbbing, she could feel her blood rushing through her veins with every beat of her heart. She wasn't bleeding anymore, but that damn pulsing feeling was so distracting. She decided she should probably not to use her leg so much, so she dropped to her belly to crawl up the rocks. Up ahead she could make out a faint pink light, rippling like the reflection of water and arcing along the confines of a narrow gulch. She reached the crest of the outcropping and gazed down, her breath dying in her throat at what she found there.

There, right below her, her beautiful master was standing so proudly, challenging the oddest pair of allies she had ever seen…that…that man…Naraku…and the solemn miko…Kikyou…

And…just as she would have expected, Toukijin had already been drawn…


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rin came back to the present, slapping her hands down over the water's surface, shattering her sad reflection. She simply didn't want to remember the rest.

The girl cast a quick glance up at the sky, noting that the moon was very high now. This was it. She could no longer delay the coming confrontation.

Gathering up her clothing and her courage, she began the slow march back to the clearing. She knew without a doubt where her master's ire lay. She was not irretrievably stupid…no matter how much Jaken liked to imply it. SHE had disgraced her master, her unsought and unwanted interference in his battle with another `mere' hanyou angering him beyond reason.

Rin suddenly thought of all the times in her life when she had witnessed the taiyoukai's cold, terrifying gaze as it fell upon some hapless enemy. Last night, that same black expression had rested squarely on her. It was almost as if Sesshoumaru was willing her to disappear under his glare, much as any foe would dissolve twisting and screaming under his Dokkasou.

As Rin continued her slow march, her thoughts returned to Kagome, and she felt an inexplicable stab of jealousy. The priestess may have not known in which direction her hanyou's heart lay for many years, but, at one time or another she had to have known that she had at least touched SOME small part of it.

And, over the years, Kagome had been given the chance to prove her value on her own…she had become a strong miko in possession of formidable powers. She could be depended upon in a fight, and her ability to sense Shikon no Kakera had given Inuyasha an edge for what seemed like ages now…

"But what good have I been to Sesshoumaru-sama?" Rin mused aloud.

The girl frowned. As she had grown, and Naraku had used her increasingly as a pawn to draw her master into combat, she, like Kagome, had been forced to pick up basic skills to defend herself for the times she was left on her own. Years of roaming the woods in Sesshoumaru's wake had taught her how to be silent and stealthy over every terrain imaginable. She had even, on occasion, successfully snuck up on him. Well, she corrected, she had only snuck up on him twice! The young woman's eyes automatically glowed with pride as she remembered one of the few times he had actually praised her for silent feet and her prowess…

Gods, she had spent the past eight years trying to find ways to please him, trying to find some way to serve with some tangible use…

Now, the one time she thought she had done something that truly mattered it seemed she had only broken whatever strange bond had caused him to allow her to remain by his side in the first place.

Rin was more frightened now than she had been when she was alone, faced with the chance of her own possible death, unarmed and exposed on the battlefield the night before.

After all, she owed her lord everything…her entire existence was borrowed time he had granted her on a mere whim!

Rin reached the camp, skirting along the fringe of the clearing, dreading the moment when she would step into the open. She could see Aun moving through the trees ahead, circling the same patch of dry grass he had been foraging through when she had left hours earlier. Oh no! she thought, suddenly remembering about the dragon's saddle. She had not removed it before she fell into her exhausted sleep, nor had she tended to the beast earlier that evening. Doubtlessly, he would have sores from the stiff leather rubbing against his scaly hide. Silently, she cursed herself for her selfishness and hobbled up the slope, quick as her injured leg would allow…

Upon entering the small clearing, Rin realized that the harness and trappings were gone.

She sighed in relief and then shook her head at her own stupidity. Of course Sesshoumaru-sama would have seen to the creature on his own! Aun was a valuable asset, a loyal and fierce defender. More than a simple means of transportation, the two-headed youkai was an integral part of her master's arsenal. He called upon the dragon to serve in times of battle with as little thought as he would give to drawing Toukijin! she mused. Sesshoumaru-sama simply could not afford for the beast to be lame.

Both of Aun's heads rose in unison as he scented her, two welcoming rumbles (with just the slightest difference in pitch to set them apart), issuing from his throats. Moving to greet him and stroking each offered muzzle in turn, Rin released the creature's tether and sent him off to graze with a sweet smile and a small swat on the cool skin of his flank. Aun tossed his mane, and gave a twisting coltish buck, before taking to the air in search of a greener field.

After Aun's spirited departure, further investigation of the clearing revealed that her lord had taken his brooding elsewhere. Jaken was finally awake, scowling as he sat before a small fire, making no move to acknowledge her presence. "Jaken-sama, I've…w-where is…" she began lamely. Rin's first thoughts were to inquire about her master, but then she thought better upon it, seeing the dejected look on the toad youkai's face. He responded to her un-asked question with a self-important sneer.
"Hmmpph! This Jaken did not presume to think he could ask the lord of his intentions…furthermore…"

Rin cut him off before he could continue, letting out an exasperated sigh as she collapsed beside him, warming her chilled hands over the tiny flames. "Ahhh, Master Jaken! So Sesshoumaru-sama was gone before you awoke?" she asked in a teasing tone. Despite her growing anxiety, a sarcastic grin lighted briefly upon her face and her eyebrows arched in amusement. Years of having this short-tempered little demon serve alternately as both a surrogate parent and squabbling rival for Sesshoumaru`s attention had taught her only too well how to play these games. These days, she could see right through every one of his pretentious little speeches.

Jaken threw her a mock-threatening glare, opened his mouth to deliver some scathing retort, and then snapped it back shut again with a pout. His complete exhaustion and his grudging concern for this young human woman…this young human woman who had been forced to become a regular fixture in his life…had won out. They sat together in silence for many hours, watching as the fire faded into glowing embers. Jaken fidgeted annoyingly, his mind obviously wracked with the same concerns as Rin…after all, perhaps Sesshoumaru-sama would fail to return for him as well!

After a time, Rin could stand it no longer and, with a resigned sigh, moved in search of a quieter place to rest. True, the fire's heat had provided much welcome comfort, and the hypnotic, slow dance of the flames had distracted her from her own nervousness, but she needed to move before she snapped. Jaken's twitching and grumbling was driving her mad! And getting angry and losing her temper with the toad was something she could not afford now…

Especially since he seemed to be the ONLY creature willing to talk to her at the moment.

Silently, Rin rose from the warm circle of the fire's edge. She made her way to the edge of the open field and spread out into the cool grass, lying on her back to take in the stars. Perhaps, she thought sleepily, perhaps wherever he had wandered off to, Sesshoumaru-sama was still gazing at them too.