InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Ever After ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters…dear GOD I would be so wealthy if I did! Any plot bunnies you see murdered here are of my own sad creation. Rumiko Takahashi has nothing to do with this strange apparition of words.
 
Author's Note: I realize that this is taking me forever and an eternity to write. I can only ask that you bear with me. I have a great deal of freelance work to take care of, and a doujinshi that I am currently reworking, and another that I am currently writing. If you can't get enough of Ever After, visit my Deviant Art site (there is a link in my journal). I have plenty of S x R, Sesshomaru and Ever After art in there. Go on, oggle. I am a far better artist than I am writer, which is why I do that professionally.
 
That said, I would really appreciate if everyone could keep his or her comments constructive. A thousand “update soon” messages glutting my e-mail is rather depressing, because it is nearly impossible for me to “update soon.” I really appreciate a good critique; it can only help my writing.
 
Well, I hope you all are enjoying this story so far. I'm having a blast writing it (in my sparse free time).
 
0000000000
 
Upon entering his hut, Inuyasha nearly turned around and walked right back out. The look on Kagome's face suggested that, if she had not removed his subduing beads nine years prior, he would presently be occupying a crater so deep, it might as well be on the other side of the world. A cursory glance to the dark corner of his hut confirmed what he smelled upon his approach, Sesshomaru was still in his home.
 
His brother was silent, his eyes closed. In the firelight, his crimson eyelids could be confused for the visage of an enraged demon, but his face was bereft of anger, or any emotion for that matter. Inuyasha knew he wasn't asleep. Sesshomaru would never feel comfortable enough in a human dwelling to do such a thing. No, Sesshomaru was ignoring them, effectively shutting out his surroundings in contemplation. Inuyasha felt his hackles rise at that realization.
 
`That bastard isn't going to ignore me in my own house,' he sneered.
 
However, before he could open his mouth, Sesshomaru roused from his musings, casting upon Inuyasha the most aggravated expression the hanyou had ever witnessed. Sesshomaru flicked his eyes towards a sleeping Rin before turning his ire back on his brother.
 
Inuyasha was at a loss. His brother was a prick, for sure, but the hanyou had no qualms with the girl. Rin's face was drawn, her breathing steady, but shallow. She had obviously been through an ordeal. Next to her, Sesshomaru's sizable pelt was rolled into a nest, and Inuyasha realized that the puff of fur in the center was far too white to be a part of it. In fact, it was breathing, and, to the hanyou's knowledge, that thing his brother carried around like a security blanket wasn't alive.
 
Inuyasha approached the trio on silent feet, passing Kagome and Kaede in the far corner, aware that Sesshomaru was watching his every move. He was a few feet away when he stopped and lowered to his haunches. He glanced towards his brother; surprised that Sesshomaru hadn't hindered his advancement. Sesshomaru's posture was relaxed, his remaining arm draped leisurely over a raised knee, but his eyes were sharp, cold even in the warm glow of the hearth. Inuyasha had the sudden feeling that he was a rabbit beneath the gaze of a hawk.
 
His brother showed no signs that he would disrupt this inspection, though his gaze was wary, distrustful. Inuyasha turned his attention back towards the pup. From this distance he could define the fuzzy snout, and pale markings. The boy's eyes were still closed, and he appeared to be sleeping as soundly as his mother. His head was turned and tucked into his belly while his hind legs lay against his crown, he reminded Inuyasha of a large, furry pill bug.
 
`Sango wasn't kidding,' he realized, somewhat startled, `the kid really is a dog.' Inuyasha had attributed the tajiya's initial report of Sesshomaru's offspring as an exaggeration. Sesshomaru had an awful effect on people, and Inuyasha wouldn't blame his friend for being too stressed out to get the details strait. Though, here he was, standing no more than three feet from a tiny hanyou puppy that could have just as easily been a full yokai from the smell of him. Inuyasha wondered, idly, if this is what his brother looked like as a pup.
 
Inuyasha was grateful that he decided to leave his children at Miroku and Sango's house. While Dachi was old enough to realize the situation, Kia's youth and natural exuberance would probably make Sesshomaru uneasy, and definitely wake up Rin. While Inuyasha didn't particularly care for his brother's needs and concerns, he realized that Sesshomaru had come here out of earnest. No doubt, if the dog thought he could take care of the situation without Inuyasha's help, he would have. So, during a moment of rare foresight, most likely brought on by the maturity of fatherhood, Inuyasha realized that the last thing his brother and sister-in-law needed were a couple of young pups underfoot, and left his two children to the patient care of his close friends. Now that he was here, and could sense the nervous energy radiating from Sesshomaru, no doubt caused by his son's death and Rin's precarious condition, he could not help but feel somewhat sympathetic to his brother.
 
A loud sniffing drew Inuyasha's attention, as the pup unrolled himself, and pointed his nose in Inuyasha's direction. The boy took a long whiff before woofing softly. Sesshomaru, much to Inuyasha's surprise, answered the boy with a growl so low, he knew the women couldn't hear it. While it vibrated the floorboards beneath his feet, it was not an angry sound. Quite the opposite, there was a vague nuance that was strangely comforting and something in the back of Inuyasha's mind tickled with recognition.
 
Family.
 
The pup flicked a floppy ear in the direction of his father and, sniffing at Inuyasha intently, mimicked the sound perfectly.
 
`Family,' Inuyasha thought dazedly, `did Sesshomaru just acknowledge me as kin in front of his pup?'
 
0000000
 
It had to be a nightmare.
 
That was the only explanation, since the last time she was in this foul basement, clasped tightly in the arm of the witch, was when she was very, very young. Rin watched through the camouflage of her eyelashes and fringe of bangs as piles upon piles of yokai and yokai parts gathered and wound around one another in a horrific dance. Through a concussion haze, she could barely make out the oily voice that directed Kagura amidst the reverberating sound of squelching limbs and bodies forming and reforming in the echoing room. She felt the arm around her tighten, in some sort of unconscious maternal worry.
 
“Take her to Kohaku,” the oily voice commanded. Rin felt the world tip perilously as the witch bowed and cast her feather skyward, whisking Rin with her through a torn out hole in the roof.
 
She remembered looking down through the swirling yokai wind and dense miasma and seeing his face. The yokai gazed at her with knowing, scarlet eyes set in a beautiful face, and smiled a smile so full of dark, unadulterated cruelty it made Rin's blood run cold with fear.
 
Naraku his deceptively smooth voice echoed in her mind, an answer to an unasked question.
She shuddered. As she rose above the dark castle, clutched protectively against Kagura's ribcage, her heart cried a silent prayer.
 
Sesshomaru-sama, please come for me. Do not forget Rin!
 
00000000
 
Opening her eyes with a start, Rin was instantly relieved that she was looking at the thatching of Kagome's humble roof. She rested a relieved hand over her hammering heart and let out a long sigh. Her body felt heavy and she was deathly hot beneath the small mountain of blankets that had been placed over her. Rin attempted to push down some of them, but found that exerting her abdominal muscles was a bad idea, as she felt the gush of warm liquid between her legs. She became immediately aware of her aching…everything. Rin could not remember a time that she felt so uncomfortable and weak.
 
`Ugh,' she thought with a bit of disgust, `I had almost forgotten.'
 
Rin wrinkled her nose and glanced around furtively, only to find that she was alone. Outside, a quite flurry of snow was visible through the oiled paper windows. It was daytime, which would explain why everyone was out, most likely going about their chores…or whatever it was that people did in villages. She did wonder where Sesshomaru had gotten off to; it was unlike him to leave her alone, especially considering her delicate condition.
 
`With how he hovered over me, you would think he would be here now!' she thought angrily. She felt sticky and dirty and ridiculously thirsty and damn it! Where was he?
 
A quiet whine from her side roused her from the wash of anger. Rin glanced to Sesshomaru's pelt wound in a nest next to her, unable to stifle her gasp. A small puppy, bearing the markings of her husband, was attempting to wiggle towards her, his protests at their distance growing louder by the second. For a moment, Rin could only stare mutely at him. She had lost consciousness towards the end, and was unable to hold him when he was first born. All she could remember, through the fog of pain, was Kaede and Kagome's urges for her to push.
 
The puppy was quite eager to be with her now that she was awake, and he was nearing the edge of his bedding. Rin smiled fondly at him, his golden eyes fixed happily on her, and reached over to pull him into her lap, shocked by his size. He had to be at least nine pounds. She cradled him in her arm, as she would a human child. The boy immediately stilled in his mother's embrace. Resting his head against her chest, he sniffed contently at her throat and gave her an affectionate lick. Rin giggle quietly and buried her face in his downy fur.
 
“Aren't you an excitable little creature,” she teased him good-naturedly. Pulling him away from her neck and settling him in her lap, she gently tickled his round belly, a half smile pulling at her lips as he yipped playfully.
 
“It is nice to finally meet you, my son.” She told him quietly. The pup's eyes became large and solemn at the tone of her voice. He blinked and yawned, revealing the gleam of tiny milk teeth. Exhausted with his afternoon's activities, he turned to bury his nose in the folds of her kimono.
 
Hey, what are you…oh,” Rin's face became immediately red as he began to suckle. She gawked down as the boy sucked greedily at her breast, and felt the blush creep onto her chest.
 
`God, I hope I'm doing this right, though he doesn't seem to be complaining.' Rin leaned back against her pillows, growing used to the strange sensation of her son nursing, and closed her eyes as a wash of weariness came over her.
 
`I must still be weak from the birth,' she surmised, `It must have taken a lot more out of me than I thought.'
 
Rin was far from out of shape. Constant traveling and Sesshomaru's training saw to that. So, aversion to her current weakness was understandable. With the occasional rescue, on the part of Sesshomaru, when a hungry demon beyond her strength tried to take hold of her, Rin had grown accustomed to taking care of herself. Though such occurrences had become more and more rare as she grew older. Thanks to her guardian's patient, if not arduous tutelage, she was able to handle a sword better than any samurai and was proficient in several hand-to-hand fighting styles. No mere human could stand against her, of that she was certain. Rin practiced her katas often, and, due to Sesshomaru's concerned protests, only ceased the more strenuous aspects of her workout when she was nearing her second trimester.
 
She had carried their first child without any major incident, until she went into early labor. It had hit her so suddenly, that she initially blamed her pains on her treacherous back, which had been bothering her more often as her stomach swelled to proportions she never thought possible. Only when her water broke, and a white-hot blade of agony shot through her, did she realize that her child was ready to be born. At first, she attempted to handle the situation on her own, insisting to Sesshomaru that a drastic measure, such as traveling to his brother's town, was totally unnecessary. She knew that he would have to humble himself in front of Inuyasha, and she was worried that her hanyou brother-in-law would send her husband away, as he did when she went to learn from Kagome two years prior. She couldn't bear it if he were forced to wait on the edge of Inuyasha's forest while she brought their firstborn into the world.
 
As it was, Kagome had asked him to leave for the birth. As Rin switched her son to her other breast, she wondered if Sesshomaru had even gotten to see their son, or if he was still required to keep a respectable distance from his brother's hut. The thought brought a prick of tears to the edge of her vision, and she allowed herself a quiet sniff. She had grown to like Kagome and her gruff husband during her stay all those years ago, but she could never understand their distain for Sesshomaru.
 
Then again, she had never, personally, borne the brunt of his fury.
 
It never ceased to amaze her that a powerful, noble, ancient creature, by his admittance he was over three centuries old, could act like such a selfish child when in the presence of his only sibling. Especially since Rin would have given anything to see her brother again. She knew that Sesshomaru's disdain for Inuyasha was due to more than his half-human heritage. Sesshomaru's own son now shared that same “impurity” in his blood, and her husband had, by his own declaration, assured her that any child she bore him would make him proud. Rin never could guess what it was exactly, but she was fairly certain it had something to do with the former Inu No Taisho. To what extent, she wouldn't dare to wonder, but she was aware that Sesshomaru was once very close to his father. No doubt, he suffered greatly upon his sire's demise, though he would loath to admit such a thing.
 
However, Rin could tell, he was a different yokai from the brash young demon she had met in her childhood, after he was injured when attempting to siege his brother's katana. Sesshomaru's distain for Inuyasha had grown from insecurities with his own power. Now that his true strength had been realized, his confidence in his own inheritance established, Sesshomaru was much less prone to inexplicable violence. Rin knew that her presence had something to do with his gradual mellowing, since he never unnecessarily slew a human while in her presence, though Jaken had told her that he once engaged in such activities often. Of course, that did not change the fact that bad blood still existed between the brothers, and it would be a long time before the two gathered in peace.
 
Rin was hopeful, but she was also realistic. She just prayed that the two, stubborn dogs were not currently locked in combat.
00000000
 
In Sesshomaru's rarely humble opinion, there was nothing more satisfying than the sound of steel clashing against steel. Especially when it was his brother's sword that he strove against. Inuyasha may be an idiot, he may be a simpleton, he may handle a sword like a senile old woman, he may revile everything that Sesshomaru had worked his whole life to become, but damn, was he fun to rile up. A few, well-placed insults, usually directed to the hanyou's human mother or insufficient fighting prowess, and Sesshomaru was guaranteed an instant, stress relieving fight with a snarling, red-faced hanyou. At this moment, that was exactly what Sesshomaru needed. Rin had been sleeping for the past two days, leaving Sesshomaru to watch, with barely masked disgust, as Inuyasha's wife fed his firstborn son goat's milk from a bladder.
 
Sesshomaru had done his best to allow his son to become familiar with Rin's scent, leaving him upon moko-moko next to her bed would allow the boy to associate Rin with his own scent. He contained a quiet glee when the pup was loath to sit with Kagome and allow her to feed him, but Sesshomaru was unable to perform the task, which made the miko's interference necessary. He was not so proud as to allow his son to starve.
 
He glanced irritably at his missing limb, and favored Inuyasha with a particularly powerful strike that sent the hanyou back several meters and into a sturdy tree.
 
As tufts of snow rained down upon his brother, Sesshomaru hoped that Rin would wake up soon. He was not sure how much longer he could stand to watch the miko handle his son, and undoubtedly the boy would benefit to feed off of his mother's milk. The goat's milk was barely sustaining him, and Sesshomaru didn't want the boy to begin loosing weight. He was even less sure that he would be nearly as forgiving if Inuyasha's offspring dare to poke at the boy with ill suppressed dismay again.
 
Sesshomaru was nearly short one niece this morning.
 
Kai stared outright at the sleeping puppy. She rubbed her still weary eyes and gawked again, then looked up at her father.
 
“Papa,” she wheedled in a hushed tone, having been warned to be silent by her mother, “how'd that lady get a puppy? Where's her baby?”
 
Inuyasha swallowed audibly, glancing quickly towards his brother. Sesshomaru couldn't help it. The rage began as a hollow fire in his belly, but quickly built in volume as the girl's natural inquisitiveness took free reign over her mouth.
 
“Didn't she come here to have a baby? That's what you said when you took us to Aunt Sango.”
 
“This is her baby, Kia,” Inuyasha attempted to explain as he crouched beside her. Dachi remained quiet, silently holding his mother's hand as he also attempted to comprehend the probability of such an occurrence. Kia merely sighed and shook her head, as if such an explanation were so unlikely that it had to be false. She leaned forward as if to prod at her cousin, who stared at her with wide, golden eyes, unfocused and newly open. Sesshomaru could no longer contain his outrage.
 
He growled at the girl, sharp and irritably, not even deigning to favor her with a voiced reprimand.
 
Kia immediately snatched back her hand, as if burnt. Dachi clung tighter to his mother, his eyes alighting on his father as he stood, but did nothing more than glare at Sesshomaru while Kia dove behind the protective barrier of Inuyasha's legs. The pup whimpered and curled into himself, instinctually attempting to protect himself from whatever enemy his father had snarled at. Rin slept on, oblivious
 
The two brothers exchanged a glance that could only be described as meaningful.
 
“Okay,” Inuyasha sighed, turning towards his pale wife and son while he stooped to lift his daughter into his arms, “that's enough introductions. Let's leave `em be for a little while. You fed the kid, Kagome?”
 
Kagome nodded dumbly.
 
“They should be fine then,” Inuyasha said with authority as he led his family out of the hut, “Let's take Sango up on her offer for breakfast.” With that, they were gone, and Sesshomaru was thankful for the reprieve.
 
00000000
 
Jaken was roused from a light doze by a soft, melodic hum from within the hut.
 
Sesshomaru had left shortly prior, and set his trusty retainer and loyal steed to keep watch over his small family in his brief absence. Jaken puffed proudly at the task, honored beyond words by the trust his lord had set with him, and sat resolutely by the hut's entrance, the Staff of Skulls gripped tightly by his side. In truth, Jaken was glad that he was spared the shared inhabitance of the hut. Before Inuyasha had left with his family earlier, the tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife and serve it for dessert.
 
The little imp slaked off the vestiges of sleep, and peered through the doorway. He was rewarded with the sight of his mistress cradling her newborn son as he slept peacefully in her arms. A cold draft must have alerted her to his intrusion, because she glanced up towards him, her lullaby forgotten.
 
Attempting to shake his embarrassment, Jaken entered the small dwelling, bowing respectfully.
 
“I am glad to see you are awake, Rin-sama,” he greeted her honestly. He had been quite worried the whole time she slept.
 
“Hello, Jaken,” she replied warmly, favoring him with a kind smile, “Where is Sesshomaru?”
 
At this, the little imp became slightly flustered, “Ah he has gone to…er…speak with his brother.” Rin raised a dubious brow, but her smile spoke of mirth.
 
“Indeed,” she said.
 
“I'm sure he will return shortly,” Jaken assured her, though not really positive that would be the case. Sesshomaru had been uncommonly irritable during their brief stay in the village, no doubt due to the proximity and number of strange humans coupled with Rin's tumultuous labor.
 
`Better Inuyasha than me,' the imp thought with a shudder.
 
“Have you seen him yet?” Rin asked him, and Jaken realized that she was referring to the pup she gazed warmly at.
 
“Ah, not yet, Rin-sama,” he replied with a bow. “May I?” he asked eagerly. He was curious to see the first-born son of his lord.
 
Rin nodded sweetly and motioned him over with her free hand. Jaken approached her on quaking legs. Sesshomaru had ordered him to remain outside and allow Rin to rest, but certainly it would be allowed if she had invited him…right?
 
Jaken's reservations were forgotten when he saw the white puppy in her arms. Why, the boy was the spitting image of his lord! Jaken's eyes watered with untamed emotion as he smiled.
 
“He is beautiful, Rin-sama,” Jaken gushed in hushed awe, “the very image of his illustrious father!” Rin smiled proudly as she shifted her son to a more comfortable position.
 
“Rin,” Sesshomaru's baritone broke the tender moment. Jaken turned with startled apprehension, and threw himself at Sesshomaru's feet.
 
“Forgive this lowly Jaken, Sesshomaru-sama,” he supplicated, “Rin-sama was already awake!” Several tense seconds ticked by in silence, and Jaken risked a glance at Sesshomaru's demeanor. His attention was fixed on Rin and the pup in her arms, his stance far more relaxed than Jaken had seen him in days. The imp did not have to be told, he rose to his feet and beat a hasty retreat.
 
Sesshomaru padded quietly to his wife, and sat by her side. He was awash in relief. Rin had never been unconscious for such a long period of time, and he had grown fretful as she continued to sleep, his faith in the miko's abilities dwindling by the second.
 
“How do you feel?” he asked her tentatively as he reached out to tuck a few errant strands of hair behind her ear.
 
Rin leaned back into her pillows and sighed, “Irritable and sore.” Sesshomaru's hand immediately stilled.
 
`Shit,' he cursed to himself. He had hoped that she would be in a more amiable mood upon her waking. He had truly missed her gentle demeanor.
 
Rin favored him with a gentle smile, amused by his disquiet, “but very, very happy.” Sesshomaru released a quiet breath as she turned her loving attention towards their son, who continued to sleep on peacefully.
 
“Have you thought of a name yet?” she inquired while fondling her son's soft ears.
 
`A name?' Sesshomaru thought. In truth, he had already named the boy. Not in any human tongue, but the pup responded to the gruff bark that he called him by. Of course, he would need a name that Rin could pronounce. Sesshomaru did not want to tell her that he hadn't considered names, on the off chance that the pup would be born severely deformed. They had already discussed that, if their child was beyond hope, it would be kinder to not let it suffer, and Sesshomaru, ever the realist, did not allow himself to anticipate. It would have been difficult enough to kill his own offspring, even worse if said offspring had a name.
 
However, that was not the case, and Sesshomaru had been so fearful about Rin, he hadn't given it any other thought.
 
“I though I would leave it up to you,” he replied.
 
Rin graced him with a knowing smile, “Well, aren't you progressive.” Sesshomaru snorted in amusement, the corner of his lips turning up ever so slightly to allow a fang to peek out. Rin turned her attention to their son, her face growing solemn.
 
“If its all the same to you, Sesshomaru,” she stated quietly, “I would like to honor my older brother.” Sesshomaru met her eyes as she raised them, and nodded seriously.
 
“Do as you like,” he told her, “How shall we call him, then?”
 
Zatoichi,” Rin rejoined, it sounded like a prayer on her lips.
 
“Zatoichi,” Sesshomaru repeated, laying a large hand over the pup's head.
 
“A fine name.” He concluded.