InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Everlong ❯ His and Her Circumstance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: His and Her Circumstances

-The Grave Robber-

February, 2005

Sometimes I had to remind myself why I was doing this. When it rained, and the stab of my memories was my only company in the dark, that was when I had to slam the picture frames face down and list silently in my head all the reasons why I was doing this. Was it revenge? Was it the look in her dark eyes or the bite of her beautiful voice as she left me? Was it his betrayal or the way I had shrunk in his shadow my entire life? Perhaps it was just the two of them, just seeing them together, that pushed me so far. But I think what it all boils down to is my need to forget; to believe that I never really needed all of the things I built my life upon. Just to forget.

It's terribly lonely here, when you're trying to forget.

Sighing, I propped my feet up on my desk, rotating the tension slowly out of my shoulders. It had been a long day, dawn till dusk of fruitless scavenging. How do you even begin a search when an entire country is at your fingertips? It seemed like I'd been racking my brain forever, and still I returned to camp each night empty-handed , sore and frustrated.

"I know, Kaede-baba, I know," I hissed into the receiver, holding the phone between my ear and my shoulder so I could leaf through the field reports in my lap. "Believe me, you'll see results…soon."

Kaede was my boss. The old hag was head of the archaeology department at Tokyo University, and she held my project, my funding, my reputation… fuck, she basically held my entire career in her hands.

"That would be satisfactory, Inuyasha, if you showed any sign of progress." Her voice was stern, the condescending tone to it making my toes curl. "But you've been on the job for months, and you've produced nothing."

"That's not true," I objected, swinging my legs down and scooting my swivel chair closer to my desk. "We know the general whereabouts of its origin…"

"Anyone with a library card can pick up a book of mythology and find that out. Inuyasha, I'm growing impatient. I gave you the people, the resources, the materials… you've dug up half of Japan already and found what? A few rusty old bottle caps? If you don't give me something to show to the board of trustees by the end of the month… I'm afraid I'll have no choice but the pull the plug on this project."

I couldn't contain my snarl as I leaned one elbow on my desk, weaving my fingers though my hair. "People? No way in hell, baba. You gave me lap dogs. I tell them to do something, and they do it. Otherwise they just rung around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Maybe I could get some work done if you actually provided me with some competent staff!"

"If I recall correctly," she chided, "I offered you a partner in the beginning. It was you who refused."

"NOT a partner," I barked. Damn it, all I ever did was repeat myself to this bitch. "Staff, Kaede, staff. People who are obedient, educated, and innovative. People who are an asset instead of a detriment."

"You do realize that you are very hard to work with," she paused, waiting for my retort, but I bit my tongue. If her definition of 'hard to work with' was someone who expected their orders to be followed at all times and still looked for intelligence within their work force, then yes, I suppose I am 'hard to work with.' She continued, "Perhaps if you gave your staff a chance… not just firing them at the first sign of-"

"Perhaps if you sent me some scientists instead of overgrown lab rats-"

"Don't interrupt me, Inu-"

"Don't patronize me, ba-"

"Look, I actually do have someone in mind, that's why I called, I-"

I raised my eyebrows, leaning back and folding my arms behind my head. "You mean this isn't just one of your collect courtesy calls so you can make me pay for your incessant nagging?" I sighed, not wanting to discourage her when she was finally starting to see things from my point of view. "So, who is this person?"

She took a deep breath, seemingly to keep her temper in check. "Her name is Higurashi Kagome. She-"

"Feh."

"is… an expert in the field and a… fine archaeologist. I'm sure you will find her… beyond useful in your search for the Shikon no Tama."

My eyes narrowed as I crumpled up crappy report after crappy report and tossing them into the trash bin. "Look, I don't need a girlfriend, baba."

"Inuyasha! There will be no sexist remarks from you, do you understand me? I could break your career under my little toe, and you know that. Now, I'm sending Kagome to you because she is… the best at what she does, and I want to see results now."

"Kagome-chan?" I spat. "Don't tell me she's your grand-daughter or something and you're trying to give her an easy break into the business, because I am not interested in babysitting!"

"She is nothing of the sort, and if you don't want her, then I will send her to Naraku."

My mouth opened and closed a few times, but no sound could come out even as the papers slipped out of from between my fingers and glided lazily to the floor.

"No? Then clear some quarters for her. She arrives at your post on Monday."

I tried to object when I heard and abrupt click followed by a low dial tone. Damn bitch. I slammed the phone down violently, letting my head fall into my hands with a painful groan.

Naraku. I felt my blood boil at the mere mention of his disgusting name, my chest constricting at the memories the thought of him evoked.

Naraku. Kaede would not make such a threat if she didn't mean business.

***

-The Tree Hugger-

The library was next to empty. I had sought refuge there from the chaos of the week before spring break, perfectly content with poring over my studies. I was one of the few students choosing to remain on campus… not that I really had anywhere else to go. I was actually enjoying the peace and quiet for once. I was deep in contemplation when a rather elderly woman approached the table where I had set up shop, eyeing me familiarly, as if I were an old friend.

"Ah, Kagome-chan," she greeted, her cheerfulness lighting up her generously wrinkled face.

I vaguely recognized her as Kaede, head of the archaeology department. Being an environmental studies major, I never really had the cause to speak with her before, so being addressed by her caught me slightly off guard.

"Uh… good afternoon Kaede-san…" I stuttered, my confused expression clearly giving away my obvious bewilderment. "Can I help you with something?"

The older woman bent a bit at the waist, pulling up a chair beside me before nodding sagely. "I will not beat around the bush. Recently, I was talking with Professor Amawa, and she mentioned that you had applied for an internship in the Amazon this summer."

I immediately perked up, forgetting my books and blinking a few times. Amawa was the department head of my own field, and it was common knowledge that I had been after that internship since day one. I had spent the majority of the first semester fervently filling out my application, and now all I had to do was wait for the news. "Yes…" I replied hopefully. "Have you heard anything?"

She chuckled quietly with a sympathetic shake of her head. "No no, we won't hear of the decision for another month or so at the earliest."

I let out a breath I wasn't even aware that I was holding, slumping back slightly with an apologetic smile. She studied me curiously, a secret lurking in her small dark eyes. "However," she said after a sizeable pause. "Dr. Noumen, head of the program in the Amazon, happens to be one of my good friends, and Amawa was raving so excitedly about you, that it occurred to me that I could possibly put in a good word on your behalf."

"You would do that?!?" I felt the grin spread across my face even before I completed my question. A reference from Kaede? That would definitely give me a boost above the rest of the applicants. Before I could stop myself my mind began to run ahead with thoughts of my summer in the rain forest, working side by side with brilliant scientists, protecting endangered species, living off the land, studying-

"I'd consider it…" she smirked, standing lazily and moving away from the table, beckoning me to follow. "Why don't you follow me to my office and we can talk."

Bobbing my head eagerly, I scrambled to gather my materials, hugging them to my chest and bumping my chair in with my hip before hurrying after her. The rapid pace she set for such an old woman surprised me, and I had to lengthen my strides considerably in order to keep up. "You have no idea how grateful I would be for a recommendation," I breathed, bowing my head submissively. "Working with Dr. Noumen has been my dream since I entered the university."

She raised one eyebrow at me, steering me around a sharp corner with one hand and placing the other on her hip. "I think I have some idea. The competition for this internship has always been fierce, and being granted it would surely springboard your future as a respected environmentalist."

I readily agreed, beside her as she unlocked the door. Her office was clean and orderly, furnished only with the necessities and several generously stocked bookshelves. She slouched into the easy chair behind her desk and gestured for me to take the seat across from her, which I did as primly as I could manage.

Crossing my legs at the ankle, I braced my books in my lap and gripped them so tightly my knuckles turned white. I waited anxiously for her to continue, put on edge by her prolonged silence. Her stare was intense and unwavering, her tongue working at her cheek as she tapped her lower lip absently with a plastic ballpoint pen.

Finally, she spoke. "Unfortunately Kagome-chan, nothing is free in this world. I am perfectly capable of writing a thorough recommendation this very afternoon, but I am going to have to ask something of you in return."

I swallowed at the ominous nuances behind her words, reaching up one hand to toy with my necklace through the thin weave of my tank-top. The pendant was the only thing I had of my mother's, and touching it was a nervous habit. I brushed aside my anxiety. I brushed aside my anxiety. I wanted this internship so badly I could taste it, so badly I could feel my chest tighten at the possibility of its proximity. "Anything." My voice was shaking a little with my response, but it was confident and determined.

Giving one decisive nod, she rummaged through one of her desk drawers and procured a thin manila file folder, tapping it once on her desk to straighten its contents before handing it to me. She cleared her throat and clasped her hands on the surface in front of her. "I suppose you've heard of Inuyasha, the young archaeology 'prodigy.'"

I set the folder on top of the rest of the book in my lap, barely containing my instinctive scoff. "I'll say I've heard of him. The stubborn impulsive narcissist who sends the interns back here before they barely begin their work with him?"

"The very same."

I rolled my eyes, thinking of all my classmates who had been sent to assist him, and who had returned almost immediately, full of complaints. I cocked my head at Kaede questioningly. "What about him?"

She sighed, looking pointedly at the folder I held to signal I could open it. "You're probably aware that he used to be a student here. For a time he was the most promising archaeology major we'd seen in a while, but he conducted several research investigations that impressed the university and enabled him to start his own excavation project. He quit school without another thought and devoted himself completely to his work. Now, I believe he may be onto something truly ground-breaking."

I flipped open the folder, the top page was a large glossy black and white photograph of the subject of our conversation. He was staring off into the distance, hands shoved into the pockets of his cargo pants and a look of grave contemplation ruling over his handsome features. At first I was taken aback by the… eye pleasing qualities of his appearance. Sure, I'd heard he was quite striking, but I hadn't imagined someone with such unique features could be quite so… well, attractive. I groaned inwardly, immediately scolding myself inside my head. This was a time to be listening to Kaede, not admiring the way his tight t-shirt molded against the chiseled muscles of his chest, or the way his long reckless bangs hung adorably over his brooding eyes, or…

I cleared my throat to rid my mind of these entirely inappropriate thoughts. "So, um, what exactly is his project all about that's so…um… 'ground-breaking?'"

"He's going to find the Shikon no Tama."

I laughed at that. No wonder he left school. He must be a total lunatic. Turning my attention from the picture back up to Kaede, I was sobered by the utterly stoic look on her face. I snapped back, my jaw going slack for a moment before I collected myself. "With all due respect Doctor, you can't be serious."

She chuckled, cocking her head at me, making me feel like some rare species of bacteria under a microscope. "And why do you say that?"

I gaped at her, flabbergasted. "Because the Shikon no Tama doesn't exist!" I stuttered, eyes widening at the ridiculous idea. "It's a myth, a complete fabrication." She said nothing, her gaze flickering from my hand, which had nervously resumed tugging at my necklace, back up to my face without showing any concern for my incredulity. I blinked a few times, snapping my jaw shut because it had fallen open again in disbelief. "Kaede, this is like searching for the Holy Grail or… or Pandora's Box… or…"

"Or Troy, which was found."

I pursed my lips, my body going rigid and my hands fisting in my lap. "Troy was a city, and it was backed by a fair amount of historical evidence and several reliable testimonies. The Shikon is… an urban legend derived from a rag-tag bunch of campfire stories." Still she remained unmoved. "All we 'know' about the Shikon no Tama is that it was a round jewel that held remarkable powers. According to legend it could grant wishes and immortality. It could cause love, pain, death, anything its master wanted. So, as a result, big scary youkai fought over it." By the end of my lecture the sarcasm was clear in my voice, and I crossed my arms over my chest to display my skepticism. "The only sources we have are questionable at best -- peasant journals, the diaries of self- proclaimed 'mikos,' all kinds of trash. Besides, even if it did exist, supposedly some idiotic adolescent from another dimension shattered it into hundreds of pieces that scattered across the country. Something like that would be impossible to find." I panted slightly, satisfied with my explanation, and amazed that I still remembered so much of my childhood tales.

Kaede's brow quirked as an amused smirk graced her lips. "It seems you've done your research."

I sighed, my shoulders drooping as my gaze fell to my feet. "I used to be a big fan of fairytales."

There was a long silence in which I was lost in thought. It was a real reality check sometimes, how my dreams and my beliefs had been snatched from me and crushed in a matter of weeks. I could recall so vividly the days of my childhood, the memories were warm and sweet and bright, but behind them always lurked a cold darkness, always creeping forward until it consumed me altogether.

Her voice broke me out of my reverie, and I shivered involuntarily, my gaze blurred and drowsy and it shifted back to her. "Look, Kagome-chan. Even if you don't think it's possible to find it, you understand what finding it would mean for an archaeologist, don't you?"

I nodded dumbly, the final threads of my distressing thoughts still clinging to the back of my mind. "Fame, fortune, respect, a Nobel Prize or two… and well, whatever you want, if the Shikon no Tama is what it's reputed to be. But really, this is frivolous thinking. I don't believe the Shikon no Tama does, or ever did, exist."

The older woman stood from her seat, sighing and clasping her hands at the small of her back as she began to pace the length of the room. "I'm not asking you to believe in the Shikon no Tama, Kagome." She ceased her movements abruptly, fixing a strong stare directly at me. "I'm asking you to help Inuyasha find it."

I froze at that, the last few remaining traces of my upsetting trip down memory lane disappearing completely. "What?!?"

"You heard me correctly."

It was my turn to stand now, dropping my books and the file folder on my abandoned chair. "No no no no no! This has to be some kind of joke! Kaede-san, I'm just a college student, an environmental sciences major, an internship hopeful, I am in no position to be doing serious archaeological field work!"

Kaede kept her tone level, even as she seemed irritated by my bold resistance. "You're at the top of your class. You're hardworking, determined, and reliable."

"But I don't know anything about the Shikon no Tama, let alone where to look for it!" I sputtered, waving my arms frantically for emphasis.

She moved to one of the bookshelves, selecting a few hefty volumes and stacking them in her arms, each one thudding against the one before it. "You just gave me quite a speech about the Shikon. It seems you know just as much as the rest of us. At least, you know enough."

What could this woman possibly be thinking? This was the first time we'd ever spoken, and she was asking me to work outside of my field on a professional excavation? If my eyes weren't starting to hurt from bulging too wide, I would have sworn it was all just some bizarre dream.

"I believe Inuyasha truly has a chance of finding it, " she continued, "but only if he has some capable staff."

"But why me?" I pleaded, pressing my hands upon the surface of her desk and leaning forward. "I don't know the first thing about excavations or Inuyasha or anything!"

Her gaze turned stern, the stack of books she had now accumulated up to her chin. "I have a hunch about you, that's why."

I huffed, straightening up and running a hand through my long black hair exasperatedly. "A hunch?!? I have to leave all of my classes and my friends to run around on a wild goose chase on a hunch?!?"

"You don't have to do anything," she spat, her expression turning rather ruthless. "But I don't have to send in that recommendation."

I swallowed heavily at that, reminded of why we were having this conversation in the first place, and suddenly aware of how disrespectful I had been. This was a chance to get the internship I had been working so hard for. All I had to do was suspend my disbelief and search for the damn jewel.

"That's what I thought." She gave a full out smile at the sight of my shoulders slumped in resignation, as she dropped the unsteady tower of books on the desk in front of me. "A little light reading on ancient Japanese lore. Something for you to read when you're done packing. You leave Monday."

Note: Hey everyone, this is my fist Inuyasha fic ever, so I'm still learning the ropes. Any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism are very much appreciated. Thanks for reading!