InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Every Prince Needs a Princess ❯ Every Prince Needs a Princess ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Blades of sunlight seeped through the fluid dance of the forests' branches in the wind, dappling the sleeping couple's faces. The dancing light roused the dozing inuyoukai, eyelids slowly opening to adjust to the light of the afternoon. Taking in his surroundings and locating the other members of his company, he shifted his attention to the woman that lay, still deep in sleep, upon his lap. A smile pried at his lips at the image she provided: sinuous locks of ebony hair pooled across his legs to cascade off of either side of his thighs, framing her ivory face that was the epitome of serene. It was a long, hard-won battle to get to a point in their lives where such a visage did not feel out of place. That very thought sent him into flash backs of their turbulent past, the images just as vivid as if they had happened yesterday…
 
Here we are, born to be kings
We're the princes of the universe
Here we belong, fighting to survive
In a wo
rld with the darkest powers,
And here we are, we're the princes of the universe
Here we belong, fighting for survival
We've come to be the rulers of you all

He was not sure at what point the battle against Naraku became a battle to free her. It was an unconscious choice at first, one that slowly became apparent as he was handed multiple opportunities to rid himself of her vexing existence. Her very presence did things to him he did not want to acknowledge, refused to acknowledge for far too long. So it was, until the day he rescued her from the river. Something about her helpless form, her fiery eyes full of passion, her stubborn unshakable will, or the way she so openly admired him, brought the unrealized to light.
 
Many people `admired' him, but it was an empty admiration, one earned out of awe for his power, his heritage, and his inevitable future. Hers was different. Her admiration was for the demon he was, for Sesshoumaru, not for the Son of the InuTaisho, the Lord of the Western Lands, or out of fear of his strength and power. For her, he didn't have to put on an icy exterior to keep up the image of an all-powerful being. It came as a relief, to find someone who wanted to serve him not out of fear but out of honest adoration and love. It was an intoxicating, nearly euphoric insight, and the realization of this disturbed him greatly.
 
 
I am immortal, I haveinside me blood of kings
I have no rival, no man can be my equal
Take me to the future of you al
l
 
So it was with this newfound realization that he set forth, his mission actually given purpose. Revenge for being used had always been his weak reasoning for pursuing Naraku, when the truest reason was a sense of unease. It did not sit well with him that a self-made hanyou could possibly pose a threat to him, but the fact that now the abomination caused him to experience fear absolutely chilled him. For now he feared he might lose what he'd never before had: a worthy partner, a mate in life.
 
Born to be kings, princes of the universe
Fighting and free
Got your world in my hand
I'm here for your love and I'll make my stand
We were born to be princes of the universe
 
He cared not for the Shikon no Tama, nor the vengeance his half-brother and his group aimed for. No, his only purpose had become the goal of giving the only creature who dared to love him what she wanted most: Freedom, the power to make her own decisions, her own mistakes, and to fight her own battles. And really, that's all that power amounted to; the ability to follow your heart and defeat all opposition that attempted to stop you from reaching your desire. The weakest of humans have a measure of power. Even youkai who lay under another's control have it, only it's considerably harder to recognize.
 
It was obvious this woman had it. She had enough power to move the heart of the most powerful demon in the land to fight for her, when he would fight for no other, save himself. Kami help the world if she ever realized it.

No man could understand
My power is in my own hand

What must it have been like, to not be able to call your demonic powers your own? To have no say in what you used them for. He was his own youkai; no one controlled him. It was his choice to battle Naraku for her freedom, and in the wake of his defeat, when the wind sorceress' demonic powers died with her former master, he chose to accept her regardless of the taint of mortality.
The inner strength and resolve she exhibited in the following times made his respect for her swell to untold heights, and the looks of love and adoration became easier to reciprocate when they were given to him. Smiles were more forthcoming, and the gentle caresses shared only by lovers came with increasing ease. When he finally decided that she was indeed the perfect mate for him, he took her as his own without a second thought, never really understanding that she'd already had his heart the whole time.
 
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, people talk about you
People say you've had your day
I'm a man that will go far
Fly the moon and reach for the stars
With my sword and head held high
Got to pass the test first time
I know that people talk about me - I hear it every day
But I can prove them wrong 'cos I'm right first time

It was not well received, the idea of the great Taiyoukai taking a mortal as a mate, not to mention her being one of the incarnations of the evil that had plagued the land. Once again, many battles were fought, inside and outside of his court. Whispers of his imminent downfall, gossip of his apparent hereditary weakness towards mortals, and the blemish she would bring to the House of the Western Lands danced from fanged mouths to pointed ears as easily as the wind snaked through leaves.
 
Short of dismembering all guilty parties, there was little Sesshoumaru could do to curb this, but Kami love her, his mate handled herself magnificently. Mortal she might be, but she was still the strong, willfull, stubborn Kagura that he'd fought so hard for. A snide remark made by a high-ranking member of the court, fully meant to be overheard by the passing Kagura was responded to with an open palm to the youkai's cheek and his infuriated woman inches from bulging eyes and bared fangs.
 
Whether it was luck or pride that kept the demon from staying her claws was of little importance, but it was the first pivotal act that led to the eventual acceptance, even respect that she could say was earned fully herself, by her own power. They had faced many obstacles, and their troubles were still far from being over, but the very thought of a leisurely nap beneath the trees as their children played games with Rin in the nearby meadow only a few years ago would have been absurd, and a death wish.
 
Here we are
Born to be kings, we're the princes of the universe
Here we belong
Born to be kings, princes of the universe
Fighting and free, got your world in my hand
I'm here for your love and I'll make my stand
We were born to be princes of the universe
 
So lost in thought, he did not notice the woman before him stir until she'd spoken. Looking down into crimson eyes full of love and devotion, his heart surged with emotions that no youkai should be able to feel. “What is it you asked of me?”
 
Raising her hands to envelop his face, she traced the lines marking his youkai nature and smiled. “I asked, what you are thinking about.”
 
His hands gently sliding up her arms to grasp her wrists, he took both her hands into his own, kissing each one in turn before bending over to brush his lips gently upon hers. Long silver hair draped them on both sides, and in that moment they were in their own world, lost in each other's being, all worries and troubles forgotten. An effortless smirk graced his countenance as his eyes loved her face, noting for the millionth time the way the edges of her eyes crinkled and her ears wiggled just a bit when she smiled.
 
“I was simply thinking of our life, and how, through all of the obstructions that lay in our way, you have still come out my shining princess, the sun in my universe, and the mate of my soul. That even if I woke up a mortal tomorrow you'd accept me for what I was all over again, as you have from the start.” With a blush staining her cheeks dark enough to rival her crimson eyes, she snaked her arms around his neck, pulling him in for a slow, lingering kiss that conveyed all the emotions language had no words for. He didn't need words, he never did. All he needed was her, and he'd had that from the beginning