InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Family Instincts ❯ Family Instincts – A Scrape with DNA ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Family Instincts - A Scrape with DNA
By Majicman55
 
Okay, okay. I do not now, nor have I ever, owned any part of InuYasha. I just like playing with the characters.
 
 
Midoriko and Aoimaru sat in a small café across from a building housing the Tokyo police department's main forensics lab. To an observer, it appeared that they spoke little…only occasional pleasantries…but the reality was that their youkai/miko heritage had given them the ability to communicate telepathically, if only over short distances.
 
“Nice weather we're having,” said Aoimaru. “This is one of Fluffy's harebrained schemes, isn't it?” he thought.
 
“Yes, very nice,” answered Midoriko. “Actually, it's quite well reasoned, when you think about it.”
 
“Any plans for tonight?” asked Aoimaru. “All we have to do is break into a police forensics lab and scrape the fingernails of a severed hand. Just the way I want to spend my evening. Feh!”
 
“I could use a hand for a project,” answered Midoriko. The police already have a mystery on their hands: how could the victim be in Kyoto so soon after losing his hand in Tokyo? If they scrape the fingernails before we do, they might find Miss X before we do. Then they might have a real mystery…if not worse.
 
“Okay, okay,” thought Aoimaru. “I'll be happy to give you a hand with your project.” Aoimaru stood up and helped his sister put on her jacket. “I still don't like it.”
 
“Always the gentleman. Such a nice brother I have.” Midoriko smiled. “You don't have to like it. We just have to do it.”
 
“Two in the morning okay?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“You sent them to do what?” said InuYasha.
 
“Ewwwww, gross,” said Kagome.
 
Sesshomaru regarded InuYasha and his miko. “If the police found her DNA, they would pursue her as a criminal.”
 
“Oi. I didn't think of that,” replied a thoughtful hanyou.
 
“But they still have a mystery,” said Kagome.
 
“But they wouldn't have her DNA,” answered Sesshomaru. “It is the lesser or two evils. Would you rather we let them catch her?”
 
InuYasha looked thoughtful. “She would probably just teleport herself out of any cell they put her in.”
 
“And you think, dear brother, that would be better?”
 
 
******************
 
 
“Do I have to do this?”
 
Midoriko looked at her brother as they huddled in an alley near the police station with its forensics lab and smiled. “It's not my fault that the Japanese police mostly use male dogs.”
 
“At least turn around.”
 
“Sure,” she giggled.
 
There was a rustling as Aoimaru shed his clothing. Then there was a momentary pink glow and, when Midoriko turned around, there was a dog in the place of her brother.
 
“Nice ass,” she thought.
 
The dog stared into her eyes. First, you shouldn't be commenting on your brother's ass. Second, I still don't know why you couldn't have done this. It's not like they don't have any female police dogs.”
 
Midoriko blushed. Wrong time of month. You don't want to contend with male dogs following me around, do you?
 
“…sniffing at your butt, you mean?” Aoimaru couldn't help laughing mentally. “I remember having to beat up a number of your suitors who wouldn't take no for an answer.”
 
“Yeah, yeah.” Midoriko bent down and put what looked like an authentic Tokyo police dog collar on her brother. She herself was wearing the actual uniform of a police dog handler. As long as they didn't check her credentials too closely, they'd be okay. “Ready?”
 
“Woof!”
 
“Woof?”
 
“I'm getting into character.”
 
Midoriko smiled as they headed towards the police building. “It's a good thing you can transform that way.”
 
“Yeah, but have you ever seen Fluffy do it?”
 
“No.”
 
I'm limited to this size. He gets so big, it almost makes you want to stop calling him Fluffy.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“State your business.” The night watch officer was looking over the police dog accompanying Midoriko.
 
“Canine training, sir,” answered Midoriko.
 
“Yes?”
 
“We plant drugs in a lab and let the dog find them. If they can get through all those scents, they won't be confused in the field.”
 
“I see, but at this time of night?
 
“We do it when the lab technicians aren't trying to work.”
 
“Ah, of course.” The officer's eyes returned to the paperwork on his desk. “Carry on.”
 
“Thank you, sir,” answered Midoriko.
 
“Woof.”
 
The duty officer looked up, then over to Aoimaru. “Intelligent dog.”
 
“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.”
 
“Go ahead.”
 
Midoriko lead her brother into the elevator and waited for the doors to close. “Smart ass.”
 
“Woof!”
 
The elevator doors opened on the lab's floor and the pair quickly found the door they needed. Midoriko smiled at the key card lock. “They really should upgrade.”
 
“Just get the door open.”
 
A pink glow suffused the lock, followed by the click of the lock's mechanism disengaging. Midoriko opened the door and gasped.
 
“What is it?”
 
“The hand is in a tray on a table.”
 
“You've seen worse.”
 
“The fingertips are glowing. How did they miss that?”
 
“Simple. To the people who work here, it's a `job.' When they leave, they turn off the light and go out the door without looking back.”
 
Midoriko pulled out a plastic bag and some implements. “We have to scrape those nails and get out of here.” Midoriko held the tools out towards her brother. “You do it.”
 
“Me? I can't transform here. I'm naked, remember? And the last time you saw me nude was when mom was bathing all three of us together in a hot spring.”
 
Midoriko looked at the hand doubtfully. “The things I have to do…”
 
 
******************
 
 
Midoriko and Aoimaru emerged from the elevator on the ground floor and proceeded towards the front door.
 
“How'd it go?”
 
“Huh?” Midoriko looked up to find the same duty officer looking at her and her “dog.”
 
“The training. How'd it go?”
 
“Oh. Fine. Everything is fine…perfect, in fact…it really went well…really.”
 
There was a loud female squeak from the other side of the room. To Midoriko's horror, her brother was standing with his nose up the back of a young woman's skirt.
 
“What the hell do you think you're doing?”
 
“Sorry,” answered Aoimaru a little groggily. “You know how instinctual I get in this form. I think she's in heat and I guess I have a cold nose.”
 
Midoriko grimaced. Apparently she had forgotten to reattach the leash to her brother's collar. “Well, come back here!”
 
“I think your dog needs a little more discipline.”
 
“Yes, sir. I'll work on it first thing tomorrow.”
 
“See that you do. We cannot have our dogs giving the public a bad impression.”
 
Midoriko attached Aoimaru's leash, saluted the desk officer and hurried out the door.
 
 
******************
 
 
Akamaru looked out from his rooftop position. By the kamis, this was tedious…but it might be the only way to track the girl down.
 
There…there was where he had felt it. He looked down and marked the vector on his map of Tokyo. He didn't have enough readings yet, but the ones he had did seem to point to one part of the city.
 
It was a little like finding a secret radio transmitter that moved all the time and only broadcasted a few seconds at a time. If he could afford to remain patient, eventually a pattern would emerge. It was like finding a secret radio transmitter. Plot enough vectors and eventually you might be able to narrow down where the transmitter was.
 
The good thing was that since his encounter with the girl, he could recognize her aura.
 
The bad thing was…that was all he had.
 
 
******************
 
 
“You were successful?”
 
“Yes, uncle.”
 
Sesshomaru wordlessly extended his hand, palm up.
 
Midoriko dropped the plastic bag with the scrapings into his hand.
 
“Well done.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
The Great Lord of the Western Lands looked at Aoimaru standing before him and snorted.
 
“Sir?”
 
“Take off the dog collar.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagura walked into her mate's study and stood behind him, massaging his shoulders. She looked at the plastic bag he was holding. “The scrapings? What are you going to do with them?”
 
“This Sesshomaru is going to send them to the genetics lab at the university.”
 
“But I thought you wanted all this to remain secret. Why not just destroy it?”
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. “You, of all people, should know the consequences of having to fight an enemy you know nothing about.”
 
Kagura turned pensive. “You're right. I remember when Naraku sent me to fight InuYasha without telling me about him first.”
 
“I need to ask something of you.”
 
“I? You're not saying `this Sesshomaru?' This must be serious.”
 
“I want to send comparison samples of InuYasha's, Kagome's, my and especially your DNA along with this.”
 
Kagura's knitted her brow. “Why `especially' mine?”
 
“Because you were made from Naraku…”
 
Kagura stared at her mate.
 
“…and Naraku was the only hanyou we ever encountered who could teleport.”
 
Kagura gasped.
 
 
 
 
A/N: Things are starting to shape up. Looks like Akamaru has the beginnings of a plan. Also looks like Sesshomaru has his eyes on the big picture…maybe. But all I can say right now is…do not make assumptions.
 
Remember, this is a rewrite.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!