InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Family Instincts ❯ Family Instincts - A Blast from the Past ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Family Instincts - Blast from the Past
By Majicman55
 
Okay, okay. I do not now, nor have I ever, owned any part of InuYasha. I just like playing with the characters.
 
 
Nyoko pulled her coat closed against the chill of the Tokyo night, yet the shivers that ran through her had little to do with the temperature.
 
She was sure she was going crazy.
 
Just a few months ago she was working in a high end men's shop in the mall when it had happened: she felt this…tingle…run along her spine and, when she looked up, the man she saw entering the store looked back at her with golden(?) eyes.
 
It was unusual, but then there were lots of people who used tinted contacts and some of them chose strange colors. She hadn't encountered gold before. “Each to his own,” she had thought.
 
The man made her uneasy the whole time he was there. It was like running into someone you knew you knew, and you were sure you didn't know them in a good way, yet you couldn't put your finger on it. She chuckled briefly at an odd thought: it was like running into an enemy from a past life.
 
She stopped chuckling when she found she couldn't stop shaking.
 
She excused herself to her manager, claiming a bad headache, and received permission to rest for a few minutes in the break room. Strangely, she found herself having to lock the door before she could relax. She kept thinking about the man with the golden eyes. As she pondered why she was reacting this way, a different picture of the man entered her mind: she imagined him with purple streaks on the sides of his face and a crescent moon on his forehead. When the image turned to face her directly, she noticed the man was holding an antique-style katana and was preparing to strike at her.
 
Nyoko screamed…and kept screaming.
 
She heard the pounding of someone trying to get to her, but all she could do was panic. She balled her hands into fists and pushed them into her eye sockets...as if by doing so she could push out the world.
 
“I don't want to be here!”
 
When they finally broke down the door, there was no one inside. The emergency exit hadn't been opened. If it had been, the alarm would have gone off. Fortunately for Nyoko, her manager wasn't very imaginative. All she thought about was how she would be in trouble with the main office for losing another employee and leaving the store uncovered. The woman rushed back up front to make sure any customers were taken care of.
 
 
******************
 
 
When Nyoko removed her hands from her eyes, she had gotten the shock of her life. She was in someone's bedroom. Fortunately, it didn't appear that anyone was home. But where was she? She looked out the window to get her bearings.
 
No, that couldn't be right.
 
She made her way outside. The layout of the house had given her a case of déjà vu, although the place had been completely redecorated. It was when she looked back at the house that she realized that her first impression had been right: this place was her home growing up.
 
After many a nightmare, she had found herself clinging to her mother and father in that room, begging them to let her sleep with them. She had whimpered about angry looking men (or were they man/dogs, somehow?) chasing her with katanas. They would wave the swords in her direction and blasts of energy would strike at her. But the oddest thing was the girl in the school uniform who followed the one in red. She seemed…out of place.
 
“What a dream!” her dad would say, bouncing her on his knee.
 
Her mom would frown and tell her she had been watching too much anime and she'd have to cut back.
 
Nyoko sighed. She remembered feeling safe in that room with mom and dad. That was before they disappeared. She had come home from school one day and they weren't there…and they had never come back.
 
Nyoko decided she really didn't want to be here, either. She walked away, looking for the nearest public transportation.
 
But, still, how had she gotten here?
 
 
******************
 
 
Back at the mall, Sesshomaru paused as he reached the car where Jaken waited to drive him home. He had felt something powerful. Very powerful.
 
Then it was gone.
 
“What is it, m'lord?” Jaken was holding the car door for Sesshomaru when his master had paused and looked back towards the mall.
 
“Hn.”
 
“Something troubles you, m'lord?”
 
“Another.”
 
“Another, m'lord? You wish to visit another mall?”
 
Sesshomaru regarded his retainer coldly. “Did you not sense it?”
 
“M'lord?” Jaken looked puzzled for a moment. He had felt something a short time ago, but hadn't thought much of it. If the master was concerned, it must be important. Something like…
 
“Oh no! Not another of those things like we sealed under Mount Fuji!”
 
“More powerful.”
 
“More powerful than you, M'lord?”
 
<WHACK>
 
The slightest smile graced the lipsof the Great Lord of the Western Lands. It had been too long since he had done that.
 
 
******************
 
 
Months after that first incident, Nyoko could count the decent nights of sleep on one hand.
 
Unable to rest properly, she wandered the streets of Tokyo into the wee hours…arriving home to sleep through sheer exhaustion. It was a good thing her manager had allowed her to keep her job and gave her mainly late shifts so her “condition” didn't interfere with her work.
 
Unfortunately, her condition was getting worse: she felt that peculiar tingle in her spine more often now.
 
Yet, she had learned a few things about this new sense she had. Some people caused no tingle at all. Others caused varying degrees of sensation. Only rarely did she run into someone who made her want to pull the very ground over her head.
 
The more “tingle” she felt, the more likely it was she'd find someone looking around as if searching for her!
 
She was so shocked by this realization that she withdrew completely within herself.
 
The tingling stopped.
 
She noticed that the few people who had seemed to be looking for her took one last look around, shrugged and went on their way.
 
They couldn't feel her…but she couldn't feel them, either.
 
She wondered if she could live her life that way: never knowing if the tinglers (as she thought of them) were around and always worrying if the strongest of them could sense her, anyway. “Maybe I'll change my hair color again,” she thought. Couldn't be too careful.
 
As she wandered into an all-night coffee shop, she thought of the old adage about curiosity killing the cat. She actually “meowed” before sitting at the counter. She was so tired that it took her a minute to stop giggling altogether. A sandy-almost-white-haired gentlemen three stools down gave her a pitying look. “Why not?” she thought. “Everyone else might as well think I'm crazy, too.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“What is it, Jaken?”
 
“You have a phone call, m'lord. The University.”
 
The Great Lord of the Wester Lands dismissed his servant; then picked up the phone. “This is Sesshomaru.”
 
“Yes, sir. We have those results for you.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Akamaru sipped his coffee as he mentally pictured his map with all its plotted vectors. This particular coffee shop was in almost the exact center. The girl almost had to be around here somewhere!
 
He heard that strange “meow” again. The girl three stools over was giggling again. Although he was annoyed by the distraction, he found himself liking the girl…and she seemed familiar. “Wait. Couldn't be, could it?” He got up from his seat and walked over to her. “Whatever you're thinking about must be really funny. Care to share?”
 
Nyoko was startled out of her reverie and found her looking up at…
 
“Oh, my kami.”
 
Akamaru looked at the girl quizzically. “Are you okay?”
 
Nyoko was trembling. Somehow the man seemed familiar to her, but she didn't know why. He was extraordinarily handsome, however, and she felt an immediate attraction. “I-I'm fine.”
 
“May I join you…?”
 
“…Nyoko. And yes, of course. Please do.”
 
Akamaru sat down. “What was so funny?”
 
“You wouldn't believe me if I told you.”
 
“I don't know. I've run into many strange things in my life.”
 
Nyoko found herself trusting the young man. She could feel herself becoming lost in his striking, golden eyes. “Golden?” she thought.
 
Akamaru smiled. This was ridiculous. In five hundred years of life, he had been attracted to a woman only a few times and had never gotten close to claiming a mate. Now here he was, late at night in a coffee shop, trying to make conversation with a pretty girl. “But she might be that girl…and I'm just doing what I'm supposed to, right?”
 
“Why don't you let me help you with that coat and you can join me for a bite to eat?”
 
“That's very nice of you, kind sir. I would be honored.” Nyoko stood up and turned around so Akamaru could help her off with said coat. She then turned around to face him again.
 
He was standing there with his jaw hanging open.
 
She place one finger under his chin and pushed up, closing his mouth with an audible “clack.” For a brief moment, she had the marked impression the man had fangs. But that was ridiculous, wasn't it?
 
She slid into a booth.
 
Akamaru sat across from her. When he looked at her, she was blushing, but still smiling.
 
“Forward, aren't we?”
 
It was Akamaru's turn to turn red and he felt like a junion high school student on his first date. “I can move.”
 
“No!”
 
Akamaru felt a delicate hand grab his leg. “Now who's forward?”
 
Nyoko smiled and looked down. “Stay with me.”
 
“Alright.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Sesshomaru hung up. That was that. The DNA samples showed common ancestry with all four samples: InuYasha's and Kagome's, his and Kagura's. The Kagura commonality meant the girl had some of Naraku in her.
 
He wouldn't kill her just for that.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Tell me all about yourself.” Akamaru had been startled when the girl turned around, revealing that she was the girl from the park. Her face reminded him of his mother with just a touch more of the exotic in it. Her hair was as dark. But it was her body that…
 
Akamaru thought of his mother and shuddered.
 
“What's wrong?” asked Nyoko.
 
Akamaru looked at Nyoko. How did you tell a girl that she was incredibly beautiful, unbelievably sexy, and was giving you a raging hard-on because she looked like your mother?
 
…because, when your mother was immortal and looked like Kagome, you couldn't help developing an Oedipus complex. Aoimaru had gotten over it by marrying early - he wasn't even 200 at the time - but he, Akamaru, had put off marriage.
 
And Nyoko had his mother's creamy skin, her full breasts, her slim waist, her well-formed hips and her killer ass.
 
Akamaru whined.
 
Nyoko looked at him for a moment, smiled and meowed at him. She thought he was joking with her and she was willing to play along.
 
Akamaru leaned forward, staring into the girl's eyes. He felt like he would fall into them.
 
Nyoko leaned towards him, staring back until, finally, she gasped. “Fuzzy ears,” she whispered as she reached for the top of Akamaru's head. She closed her thumbs and fingers around the ghostly images on top of the man's head. “So soft,” she murmured.
 
She began to rub them gently. Akamaru leaned forward slightly and began…purring? Nyoko giggled as a pleasant tingle coursed along her spine. For a moment, she let down her guard.
 
<TINGLE>
 
<THRUMMM>
 
<TINGLE>
 
They looked at each other. “You!”
 
Akamaru watched as the girl balled up her fists and rubbed them in her eyes. “I don't want to be here!” A pink aura flared.
 
<POOF>
 
Akamaru stared at where the girl had been a moment before.
 
<POOF>
 
The girl reappeared, reached across the table and pulled him into an embrace. She kissed him full on, her tongue stroking his lips lightly, begging for access. Not knowing why, he granted her wish and found himself in a battle for dominance that quit only when both needed air.
 
“I needed that,” she gasped. There was that pink aura again and…
 
<POOF>
 
“What the…?”
 
 
 
A/N: So her name is “Nyoko,” huh? She sounds like one confused girl. Confused, and powerful. If Sesshomaru's right, she's got a little bit of Naraku in her. But what's this starting up with Akamaru? Stay tuned: the three sons of Naraku and Kikyo ass will appear very soon.
 
Remember, this is a rewrite.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!