InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fang of the Father ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Fang of the Father
By Light-Eco-Sage
Rated: M for language, violence, and romance/sexuality. (InuKag and a little MirSan).
Summary: What if the Tetsusaiga was not the only thing Inuyasha was meant to inherit? His battle with Sesshomaru comes to a head as he tries to reclaim what is his.
Disclaimer: Me no own Inuyasha, no matter how much this one wishes… (cries)
LES: This story came to mind as I was writing `Silver Hair'. Inu's father was hardly mentioned, as was his big brother. And both intrigue me. Heck, as far as I've got in the anime (finished Season 6 and all 4 movies), I still can't figure out Sesshy. I'm starting to buy the manga off Amazon, but judging by the number of volumes, it will be quite a while before I finish them all. Also, I will be adding translations after the Japanese words usedfor those people who, like me, are completely ignorant of the Japanese language. I don't want anyone to be drowning in a sea of an unfamiliar language. (Mostly speaking of self.)
Muse: Yes. You're the one who has a long list of Inuyasha names and terms.
LES: I do what I must to make my stories that much better. Also, I am aware that this first chapter is just a re-hashing of the third Inuyasha movie with some changes to make it a bit more fitting to my story. And about Inu-Papa's name... I've seen it spelled about seven different ways, so I picked the one that was easiest to remember.
Chapter I: Prologue
It was night, and silence permeated the surrounding Western Lands of Feudal Japan. Suddenly, with a great roar that shook the very mountains to their roots, a mighty Inu-Yokai (Translation: Dog Demon) took to the sky. People in near-by villages screamed in terror, recognizing the fearsome Yokai (Translation: Demon) Lord on sight.
But the Yokai itself paid them no mind, and soared over them. Humans... He thought to himself. Really are foolish. It has been over a year since I stopped attacking their kind, and still they flee and curse.
He suddenly bit back a pitiful moan as more of his blood sprayed from his greatly injured body. Curse it all! The Inu-Yokai Lord spat to himself. I, the great Yokai Lord Inutaisho, should meet his end, not in battle, but in the festering aftermath? Seems that Ryukotsusei (Translation: A mighty Dragon Demon that Lord Inutaisho fought and sealed to a cliff-face.)will have the last laugh after all.
Suddenly, a small and pathetic voice reached his sensitive ears. “Master, please, you must turn back!” It was the Flea Yokai, Myoga. “Your wounds from your battle with Ryukotsusei haven't healed yet!”
“Be silent, fool!” Inutaisho growled in a deep and commanding voice. It effectively shut Myoga up, since he was a great coward who usually ran away at the first sign of danger. “You know as well as I do that my wounds are fatal. I am not long for this world. But before I take my leave, I must see my son…”
“Sesshomaru, my Lord? But… you just left his presence…” Myoga began, but his Master's silence silenced him in return.
The great Inu-Yokai let out a soft growl that was almost a sigh. It's been over nine months. Nine months since Izayoi accepted me as a mate… nine months since I used my powers to hide her from all other Yokai who seek to destroy me. The pup should have been born by now.
He reached the castle and landed in the woods just beyond the boundaries, and quickly took on his human-like form as to not alarm Izayoi. But no amount of Yokai magic could hide the magenta stripes on his face, the symbol of his status as a Yokai Lord, one of four who controlled all the lands of Japan. He was a handsome figure, cloaked in armor, with golden amber eyes and shining silver hair. But he was still clearly injured, judging by the large red bloodstains on his clothing.
As he expected, the closer he got to the castle, the more human resistance he met. But, even wounded as he was, he was still a powerful Yokai Lord, and humans provided no challenge. With a single swing of his own Tetsusaiga, the sword of Earth made from his own fang, a giant wave of wind energy fanned out and effectively took care of the humans. None would stand between him and his mate.
Once none were left standing, he crossed the castle threshold and began to head towards where Lady Izayoi's smell was strongest. But he was suddenly stopped by a human, a captain of the guard by the look of him.
Inutaisho narrowed his amber eyes. “Stand aside and you'll be spared.”
“You are too late, Yokai!” The man yelled, sounding deranged. “I've already dispatched of that Yokai-loving wench! Too bad for that hanyou (Translation: Half-demon) brat! He won't last long without his mother.”
Inutaisho snarled in a rage and sheathed the Tetsusaiga and unsheathed the Yokai Sword of the Netherworld, Sounga. He leapt at the human and sliced off his left arm with the powerful sword. The human hit the ground, crying out at the loss of his limb, but he was still alive. The Yokai Lord snarled once again and sheathed the powerful and dangerous blade. “If you value your life at all, human, stay on the ground.” He said as he stalked past him, following a smell that he knew as well as any.
He eventually found himself in the castle's birthing chamber. It must've happened this very night.
The sight he saw nearly tore his heart out. His mortal mate was lying in a pool of her own blood, having been run through of the Captain's spear. Shielded in her arms was a newborn infant. She had given her last moments to protect her newborn child.
“If I were a mortal… powerless in the face of death, I would be weeping right now.” Inutaisho said to himself. But Inutaisho was not helpless in the face of death. His clawed hand rested on one of the blades at his side. Tenseiga… the Blade of Heaven, carry forth my will.
He drew the powerful sword and could instantly see death's messengers staking a claim to his mate. He swung the Tenseiga. It could not harm a single living creature, but it could destroy death's little minions. They were destroyed instantly.
He sheathed the sword and crouched next to his mate, waiting for her life to return.
Slowly, the color came back to her features and she opened her beautiful eyes. “Inutaisho?” And then she gasped, alarmed, trying to sit up. “My son!”
“Is fine.” Inutaisho assured her. “Izayoi… how I've missed you.”
Izayoi cradled the squalling bundle to herself, reassuring herself that he was perfectly fine. “You came. I knew you would. You've come just in time to see your son, Inutaisho.” She carefully handed the Yokai Lord the infant.
Inutaisho inspected the infant, sniffing him to make sure that he was perfectly healthy and to memorize his scent. “A fine and healthy hanyou. Be proud.”
“I am. What do you want to name him?” Izayoi asked, adamant that her mate should choose their son's name, since he was of a Yokai Lord's line.
Before Inutaisho could answer, a harsh voice interrupted him. “Back away from the Lady, Yokai!” It was the Captain of the Guard.
Inutaisho quickly removed a red cloak from his person and draped it over his mate's head. “It's made of fire rat fur. It will offer you protection. Leave now.”
“But… what about you? You are hurt!” Izayoi asked, alarmed.
“I'll be fine. Our son will be Inuyasha. It's a fine name for the son of a Yokai Lord.” Inutaisho growled, facing the captain and drawing his sword.
Izayoi finally fled, heeding her mate's words. The captain let her run. “I'll deal with her and her half-breed son later.” He growled coldly.
“Didn't I tell you to stay on the ground, you foolish mortal?” Inutaisho asked, albeit with cold fury in his voice.
“I love the Lady, and I won't let her be touched again by the likes of you!” The Captain growled, still holding onto the stump of his missing arm.
“You love her? You have a strange way of showing it. Do all humans treat their mates thus?”
“Shut up, filthy Yokai! Your kind knows nothing of love!” The Captain yelled as he thrust his sword single-handed at the Yokai Lord. Inutaisho tried to side-step the thrust, but he was too badly injured to do so properly. The blade pierced his side.
The Inu-Yokai grit his fangs against the pain that jolted his already wounded body. “Fool! We Yokai know more about love than you do! A Yokai mates for life, and we never seek to harm our own mates! Never!” He raised his claws, completely ignoring his three blades, and shoved his claws into the man's chest, shattering his ribs and puncturing his heart and lungs.
The Captain gasped in shock and pain. “Filthy Yokai!” He spat as Inutaisho removed his claws and the dying man fell to the floor.
Inytaisho held his bloodied hand to his side to slow down the bleeding somewhat. “Worry not. I will soon follow you into the afterlife.”
He set his nose on his mate's scent and began to follow her.

Izayoi stood on a hilltop, over-looking the Palace, a look of worry on her face. The small bundle, sensing its mother's discontent, began to whimper softly.
Izayoi turned her attention to her newborn son. “Shh, my sweet Inuyasha. Your father is strong, and I'm sure he'll be all right.”
Suddenly, something stumbled through the underbrush and Izayoi tightened the fire rat robe around her and Inuyasha. The shadows dissipated and the approaching form became clearly visible.
It was Inutaisho. He looked greatly wounded and now looked terribly close to death's door. “Inutaisho!” Izayoi gasped, running to him as fast as she could with a newborn infant and carefully lowered him to the ground before he collapsed from his own injuries.
She rested his head on her lap and stroked his hair and face with her free hand as they had done when they had courted to be mates, but this time was much different. Inytaisho was dying.
“He barely got me. But, I suppose it was one injury too many.” Inytaisho gasped. “Now… where is that accursed flea? Myoga!”
“Master, I am here.” Myoga said, appearing out of nowhere. “I told you not to come, My Lord.”
“That you did.” Inutaisho agreed. “Now, for once, be silent and record the last articles of my will before my life leaves me.”
“Oh, yes, the Swords and your Lordship!” Myoga gasped.
“Two heirs, have I…” Inutaisho contemplated. “To my eldest son, Sesshomaru, I leave my Sword, Tenseiga; in the hope that he will learn that compassion is an essential emotion to all living creatures. And, to my newest son, Inuyasha, I leave the Tetsusaiga, with that hope that he will become strong as he is… as a hanyou.”
“And the Lordship of the Western Lands? To Sesshomaru, I suppose.” Myoga said. “He is your eldest son and pup of your primary mate.”
Inutaisho grinned. “No.”
Izayoi gasped. “No? But… I understand that you mated Sesshomaru's mother long before you met me! He's your eldest son and heir!”
“He is, but I still have the right to choose the one I think better suited. It is my intention that my hanyou son, Inuyasha, inherit the Western Lands that I rule. For too long, we have wreaked havoc on the human world and are hated because of it. Yokai Taijiya (Translation: Demon Slayers) are everywhere and our numbers shrink. My hanyou son will be the bond that brings our two worlds together.”
“But the Lord Inuyasha, your son, is only an infant! He is not fit to rule in your stead!”
“Sesshomaru shall act as Inuyasha's steward until he is old enough to take the responsibility himself, by Yokai standards.” Inutaisho said. “And now… my will.”
“Here, my Lord.” Myoga said, producing the completed document from nowhere. Inutaisho pressed his clawed fingers to his wound and smeared his own blood on the document. It was binding now.
“Izayoi… you are not my primary mate, but I loved you the most.” Inutaisho said. “Make sure that Inuyasha grows up strong.”
Tears ran freely down Izayoi's beautiful face. “Yes, My Lord.”
“And… one last kiss.”
The mortal woman let more tears spill. “Yes, My Lord.” She pressed her lips to her mate's in a passionate kiss. For once, Myoga managed to remain silent as the two shared their last moments together, and he finally understood. This mortal woman was the Master's true mate. His first mating had been purely political and had nothing to do with love. But the Yokai Lord could not resist the call of his true mate in a mortal woman; even if it meant damning their offspring with the cursed fate of a hanyou. But not only a hanyou, but a hanyou destined to become the powerful Lord of the Western Lands.
A cry of anguish pulled Myoga out of his musings. Izayoi was cradling her mate's body. He had stopped showing signs of life. “Inutaisho! Please don't leave me! Don't leave our son!”
“My Lord!” Myoga gasped.
“Finally. I thought the old fool would never die.” A harsh female voice said.
“Myoga gasped. “Lady Shiori!” Another Inu-Yokai had stepped out of the shadows, a female in human form, who was easily as beautiful as Inutaisho had been, but her face was crueler, and it diminished her beauty.
“Why do you act so surprised, Myoga? His mate and mother of his eldest pup should be present on such an occasion, don't you think?”
“You?” Izayoi gasped. “You are Inutaisho's primary mate?” She held Inuyasha closer to herself in fear of her rival.
Shiori snorted. “Fear not, wench. I care not that you mated with my mate and had a hanyou pup. I've only come to receive my due as his first and primary mate… on my son's behalf.
“Maybe you shouldn't look at the will, Lady Shiori…” Myoga tried to say.
Shiori growled at him. “You dare to presume what I can and can't do? Me? The primary mate of a Yokai Lord! Give me the miserable Will! I know you recorded it for him, miserable flea!”
Myoga sighed, well aware of how temperamental Lady Shiori could be. “Yes, My Lady.” He gave her the Will.
Her eyes scanned dismissively over the part about the swords. And then she reached the part of her late mate's Lordship. “And the Lordship of the Western Lands will go to…” She paused, her eyes widening. “Inuyasha?! Is that your brat's name?” She demanded Izayoi.
Izayoi stood up and faced her rival. “His name is Inuyasha, but he is not a brat! He is Inutaisho's heir!”
Her rage exploded. “What about my son, Sesshomaru?! We've both served My Lord since before you were even born!” She rounded on Myoga, like he was somehow at fault. “My proud Yokai son playing steward to a filthy hanyou?!”
“I cannot change what the Lord wishes, as you well know. I am simply a retainer to the Lord of the Western Lands… which is Master Inuyasha now.”
“You fool!” Shiori hissed. Fire spring from her fingertips and she swiped her hand across the Will. Everyone cried out, but it was over a second later and the Will seemed to be whole. It seemed that even she lacked the power to destroy the binding document sealed with the Yokai Lord's own blood. She handed the Will back to Myoga without a fuss.
That was when Myoga saw the true horror of the situation. She lacked the power to destroy the Will, but not the power to cover up his Master's words. “You've scorched off any mention of young Inuyasha being the next Lord of the West! Only leaving the part that Sesshomaru will be Lord! You've scorched off the part about Master Inuyasha taking over for him once he is mature! You can't do this, Lady Shiori!”
“I just did.” Shiori said. “Now, my son will take his rightful place as the Lord of the Western Lands, and everyone will forget that you and your whelp exist. And if I see you near our clan, or your foul hanyou, I'll kill you personally. Oh, and one more thing.” She moved over to her mate's body and grasped the Tenseiga. “Now… this sword is rightfully my Sesshomaru's. Keep the Tetsusaiga if you wish. Any fool can destroy.” With that, she stalked away.
“Oh no! What are we going to do? What can a flea, a human woman, and an infant hanyou do against her?” Myoga said sadly.
“Why—why don't you go with her?” Izayoi asked. “You are a Retainer to the Lord of the Western Lands. Now that Inuyasha's been erased from Inutaisho's Will, doesn't that mean Sesshomaru?”
“I heard Master Inutaisho's true words.” Myoga said. “He made young Master Inuyasha the Lord, and I'll stay with the true Lord of the Western Lands. I'll stay with young Lord Inuyasha.”
Izayoi smiled grimly. “Thank you, Myoga.”
“Anything for you, Lady Izayoi.” Myoga said, bowing.
Izayoi lifted the blankets away from her son's face. “He's a handsome young Lord, isn't he?” The finest silver hair covered the infant's head and his eyes, like a newborn puppy's, were sealed shut. But Izayoi could imagine his eye color: deep amber, just like his father. And, as if to advertize his Yokai heritage, two soft, furry, white dog ears were perched atop his small head, also closed shut for the time being.
“A fine looking pup.” Myoga agreed, looking at the infant. “I would expect nothing less from the pup of Master Inytaisho.”
“I suppose… I'll return down to the village.” Izayoi mused. “I just hope that we'll be accepted back.”
“Be strong, Lady Izayoi. It will be hard, but you have to be strong. Be strong, for Master Inuyasha.”