InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fang of the Father ❯ Desire ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

LES: Pretty long prologue chapter, but I wanted to reveal all the important stuff. Thanks to the Inuyasha Movie: Swords of an Honorable Ruler, for revealing what happened the night Inuyasha was born and the night his father died. It's soooo hard to believe that you were once just a wittle baby!
Inuyasha: Get off my back.
LES: Sit!
Inuyasha: (face-plant)
LES: They say that dogs are the worst at learning when something is a no-no. You know that dogs are the only animal in the world that will get sprayed by a skunk over and over? Other animals only need to be sprayed once to get the message, but not dogs. They never learn.
Inuyasha: STOP COMPARING ME TO A DOG!!

Chapter II: Desire
About two hundred and three years later, Inuyasha awoke from his sleep with a start. For almost a whole minute, he gasped for air and stared at something that only he could see. Then he seemed to realize how foolish he looked at the moment and leaned back against Kaede's wall with a heavy sigh. He quickly rubbed the cold sweat off his forehead in case one of his companions woke up. He absolutely hated to appear vulnerable.
Another dream about my mother… Inuyasha thought with another sigh. Why now, of all times, do these dreams plague me?
Tonight, he had dreamed of the night his mother died. An illness had settled in her lungs and was slowly sapping her life.
He remembered how she coughed painfully, sometimes bringing up blood. He did not move from her side from the moment she had gotten sick.

“Mama!” He had cried his voice full of pure child despair at the thought of losing his mother. Tears ran down his face and his puppy ears were trained on her, listening to every heartbeat grow weaker than the last.
“My sweet Inuyasha…” She broke off, coughing. “You have to promise me to be strong… like your father.”
Inuyasha rubbed his eyes on his father's fire rat robe, the only thing he had left of his father. “Yes, Mama.”
“No matter what happens… you must be strong.”
“I will be strong.” Inuyasha threw himself across his mother's chest and embraced her tightly. “I love you, Mama!”
His mother petted him softly between his downy ears. “I love you too… Inu… yasha…”
Inuyasha opened his eyes as he pulled once again out of his memories. Those were the last words she had ever spoken it him. Which was a lot more than he ever got from his old man. Nothing more than the fire rat robe that he wore constantly, and the Yokai sword, Tetsusaiga.
Still… I have to admit… Inuyasha thought to himself. Both have helped me out of some pretty tight scraps.
His ears flattened to his head as he tried to push all thoughts of his parents aside. They were both dead and gone.
He finally gave up with a snort when he realized that it was a useless exercise. “Feh. It's no use.” He stood up, his ears now trained on the others to make sure they weren't waking up. Kaede was perfectly quiet and Shippo muttered something about his father. Nothing out of the ordinary. He walked out of the hut and watched as the sun rose in the East.
Yep. A great day to fetch Kagome back from her time. Inuyasha thought to himself as he made his way with hanyou speed to the Bone Eater's Well.
Some people were aware that the well was actually a portal that connected the Feudal, Warring States Era to Kagome's `modern' era. But only Kagome and Inuyasha had the power necessary to travel back and forth. Which meant that he always ended up playing fetch with her when she was late.
“Damn wench said she'd be back yesterday.” Inuyasha muttered to himself. “Then again, she's never back on time. She's always either too late or too early. Stupid human.”
As soon as he reached the well he jumped in immediately. He allowed himself to be pulled down by the vortex of time that came from the well bottom.
A few seconds later, he was deposited on the bottom of the well, this time in Kagome's time. He could always tell Kagome's time from his, because the smell of Kagome's era always irritated his sensitive nose.
He snorted loudly, like a dog trying to clear its nose of an unwelcome scent, but it never worked, so he gave up. He leapt easily out of the well with a single bound.
He let himself out of the well house and made his way over to Kagome's large and strange multi-layered hut. He leapt up to the large eave under Kagome's window and let himself in as usual.
He poked his head inside. “Ka…” He was about to call her name when he spotted her on her bed. And, by the look and sound of things, she was still fast asleep. “Feh. Lazy wench.”
He crawled in through the window and moved forward, clawed hand extended with the intent of shaking her awake, but then he stopped. No. That's definitely not a good idea. The hanyou could just imagine her sitting him so many times for waking her up that he would crash through the floor into her kitchen below.
So, with little other sit-free options available to him, he consented himself to wait until she awoke.
He crouched on the floor, staring at her. Damn girl could sleep right through a Yokai attack. Inuyasha thought bitterly.
Slowly, and against his better judgment, he relaxed. As an Inu-hanyou (Translation: A made up word, meaning that it's probably not proper Japanese, that means Half-Dog Demon) he felt most comfortable when surrounded by familiar smells. When he was growing up, after his mother died, the only familiar smell had been his own, which contributed deeply to his inherit need for isolation. But, after years of knowing Kagome, her scent was almost as familiar as his own; and this entire room smelled of Kagome.
He glanced at the sleeping miko, his ears having caught the sound of movement. Her arm had fallen off the side of the mattress.
Inuyasha crept forward on all fours with the intent of replacing her arm on the bed. He took her hand gently, being ever mindful of his deadly claws… in fact, he was being too gentle.
Kagome giggled a little. “That tickles, Inuyasha.”
Inuyasha's eyes snapped open and he swiftly glanced at Kagome's face, believing that he had awoken her. He was shocked, however, to discover that she was merely talking in her sleep. How'd she know it was me, then? Inuyasha thought to himself. Is she dreaming about me again?
“Mmm… Inu…” Kagome breathed, shifting slightly and grinning. Inuyasha stared at her, his eyes wide and his ears trained on her. “Sit.”
The explosion of noise that followed this simple muttered word very well might have woken up all of Tokyo. A resounding crash split the morning silence, followed closely by Inuyasha's cry of “Ow! Kagome!” This was immediately followed by a suddenly-woken Kagome's scream at finding her hanyou friend suddenly in her room. Kagome's mother cried out in response to her daughter's scream. Kagome's grandfather woke up due to the commotion and instantly thought that thieves were trying to steal the shrine's treasures. So his cries of “Thieves! Thieves!” only added to the din.
Kagome's mother rushed into her daughter's room. “Kagome! Are you all…?” She trailed off at the sight that met her. Her daughter was sitting up with her back pressed against the wall. She held her comforter up like a shield, and her right hand was raised, ready to strike in a slap. On the floor was a young man that she instantly recognized as Inuyasha. His long silver hair and dog ears gave him away. He had his face pressed against the floor, like a strange bow, and seemed to be trying to peel himself off the carpet.
“Oh!” Kagome gasped when she came to her senses, and she realized that the intruder was just Inuyasha, and not some rapist. “I'm sorry for waking you up, Mom. He just… scared me.”
“Oh… all right. As long as you're safe, Kagome. Good morning, Inuyasha. I suppose you'd like some ramen?” Inuyasha muttered several things that probably had more to do with cursing Kagome into oblivion than ramen. Luckily for him, the carpet muffled his words. “I'll take that as a yes.” Kagome's mother said quickly, dismissing herself.
After her mother was gone, Kagome leapt off the bed and began to help Inuyasha off the ground. “This is the second time! I can't believe this…” Inuyasha muttered.
“I'm so sorry, Inuyasha! I didn't mean to `s'-word you! It was just a stupid dream.”
Inuyasha rubbed his sore forehead. “Damn wench, will you quit doing that?! It's a wonder my face hasn't been pulverized yet!”
“I said I was sorry!” Kagome glanced at her new alarm clock, which she bought years ago to replace one that Inuyasha accidentally destroyed. She groaned. “What are you doing here anyway… at an unholy hour, no less?”
“Why do you think I'm here, stupid wench?” Inuyasha demanded. “To take you back, of course!”
Kagome frowned. “I swear, Inuyasha, if you call me a wench one more time, I'll personally reunite you with Kikyo!”
Inuyasha didn't want to think how Kagome was going to accomplish that now that Kikyo had been laid to rest. Probably by sitting him all the way to Hell. But one thing was for sure: it was no idle threat.
“Feh!” Inuyasha snorted to cover up the fact that he was giving up. “Whatever, Kagome. Now hurry up and get your damn supplies together. We'll leave after breakfast.”
Kagome sighed, glad that Inuyasha had given up calling her a wench… for now. “It's all about the ramen, isn't it?” He never changes.
“Of course.” Inuyasha agreed unemotionally.

(Feudal Era)
The sun was nearly risen when Myoga the Flea Yokai and Inuyasha's retainer arrived in Kaede's village. With a sigh, he headed down into the valley. “Oh! I do hope that Master Inutaisho was right about this!”
But, even Myoga knew that now that Master Inuyasha was nearly mature by Yokai standards, he could not withhold the secret much longer. Master Inuyasha had to learn that he was destined to do things much greater than slay Yokai for the rest of his long life.
All Inuyasha had to do to finalize his maturity and status among Yokai was to choose his mate, thereby showing the world that he was emotionally mature… in a way. Once he did, the Yokai manhood ceremony would be complete, and the Master would be able to claim his birth-right.
Over the last few months, Myoga had observed Master Inuyasha struggling with the subtle throes of the Yokai manhood ceremony. The most obvious of which being his subconscious searching for a suitable mate.
Myoga laughed to himself. I may be but a flea, but even I've seen the way Master Inuyasha looks at the miko, Kagome.
He reached Kaede's hut and leapt inside. But he did not find Master Inuyasha, only the kitsune, Shippo.
“Shippo! Shippo! Where is Master Inuyasha?” Myoga called loudly, trying to wake him up.
“Huh? Inuyasha?” Shippo asked groggily, only half-awake. “He probably went after Kagome. She's a day late, you know.”
“Through the Bone Eater's Well?” Myoga questioned. “When will the Master be back?” But Shippo was already fast asleep once again. “Curses!” Myoga swore. “Such is the luck of a flea.” With a reluctant sigh, he decided to sit and wait.

(Modern day Japan)
After a hasty breakfast that Inuyasha practically wolfed down, he and Kagome stepped out into the morning air.
Kagome yawned loudly and leaned against her doorway. “It's too early for this…” She moaned.
Inuyasha sighed heavily. “Damn…” he moved in front of her and crouched down, inviting her to climb on. “Get on, already.”
“Are—are you sure?” Kagome asked, suppressing a yawn.
“Of course I'm sure! It'll be faster this way.” Inuyasha said.
So she gave in and positioned herself on Inuyasha's back. Once he had her properly supported, he took off.
Inuyasha knew that he'd be lying to himself if he ever said that he didn't enjoy the way her grip tightened on him when he started moving. When he first met her, he considered piggy-backing her a nuisance. But now he found that he enjoyed their closeness, especially when her face was buried into the back of his neck as it was now.
The feel of her hot breath against his neck was almost enough to send chills through his body, but he stopped himself from trembling through sheer force of will.
No matter how much it affected his body, he knew that he could never give in as it was probably unintentional. No matter his growing feelings of love for her, the bitter truth slapped him in the face. No one, whether Yokai or human, loves a hanyou. If his relationship with Kikyo taught him anything, it was that one truth. Friendship was the very most that he could ever expect from his relationships, and he was lucky to even have that. He could never expect to have the passionate love that mates share. To expect more from Kagome, when he already had her friendship and trust, was a foolish dream.
With a soft growl of defeat, he leapt into the Bone Eater's Well and jumped out into his own comforting time.
Without realizing what he was doing, he began to sprint off, not in the direction of Kaede's village, but deeper into the woods.
“Um… Inuyasha? Where are you going?” Kagome asked.
“What?” Inuyasha stopped in his tracks. With a slight gasp of shock, he changed course. “Sorry, Kagome, I got a little side-tracked.”
“Side-tracked, is right.” Kagome yawned as she resumed pressing her face into his back in a light doze.
Inuyasha silently scolded himself. What the hell was I thinking almost taking her into the woods like that? It's not like I've ever expected something to happen between me and Kagome. I mean… sure Kikyo is at peace now, but isn't having my heart crushed once more than enough?
Thanks to his speed, they reached the village within half-a-minute, even with Inuyasha's initial wrong direction.
As they arrived in the village, Inuyasha was greeted by Sango, emerging from the hut she now shared with Miroku since they were now engaged to be married.
Personally, Inuyasha had no idea why Sango would want to be mated to a lecherous womanizer, but he stayed out of it since it really wasn't any of his business if Miroku and Sango became mates.
“Oh, good morning, Inuyasha.” Sango said cheerfully. “How's Kagome?”
“Still half-asleep, but she's back.” Inuyasha said. “We still leaving at noon?”
Sango sighed. “You've got a one-track mind.”
“What? Hey! Don't accuse me of being a lecher like that monk!” Inuyasha hissed.
“I didn't, but you make it seem like finding Naraku's jewel shards is the only thing that's important to you.”
“Well, if that bastard hadn't broken it up again and hidden the pieces before his death, we wouldn't be stuck having to look for them.” Inuyasha said, taking off. “At noon!”
“Sure, noon!” Sango called after him with totally fake enthusiasm. “Like I said… a one-track mind.”

Inuyasha stopped outside Kaede's hut. “Get some more rest before we leave.” He told Kagome.
“Sure thing.” Kagome sighed before actually starting to fall asleep right on his back.
“Not now, you stupid wench!” Inuyasha yelled.
The noise, of course, woke Shippo with a groan. “What'd that idiot do now?” He asked.
“Well, Master Inuyasha certainly knows how to make an entrance.” Myoga said.
“Oh, Myoga, I forgot that you were here.”
Shippo's voice was drowned out by Kagome's yells outside. “Inuyasha! What did I tell you I'd do if you called me a wench one more time?!”
Inuyasha spoke in a soft subdued voice. “You'd reunite me with Kikyo…”
“Prepare to be sitted…” Inuyasha crashed to the ground with his first of many sits. “… to Hell, you jerk!” What followed as a tirade of sits, punctuated by Inuyasha's cries as the rosary beads forced him further into the ground.
“Wow… sounds like the ground will never recover.” Shippo commented.
From outside, Inuyasha shouted. “The ground?! What about my face?!”

LES: Poor little Inuyasha. My fans who might have followed me across fandoms will know that I love to torture my fiction slaves. There's no way in hell Inuyasha's going to escape being sat… a lot!
Inuyasha: Why me?!