InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fate will find a way... ❯ Is this the end? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 1 – Is this the end?




Kagome lay awake in Kaede’s hut, the soothing sounds of her friends’ even breathing doing nothing to ease the anxiety she felt within herself.

It was over, it was actually over, she still couldn’t believe it.

As she rolled the complete Shikon no Tama around in her hand, it still seemed like the whole thing was just a dream.



The final battle with Naraku had taken them all by surprise. Koga had shown up out of nowhere, like he usually does, and went about proclaiming his undying love for her, pissing off a nearby Inuyasha in the process. The scene had unfolded as normal, until Inuyasha’s sudden comment that he smelled something even worse than wolf got everyone’s attention, though for good measure, Koga still had to snap back at the underlining insult.

Turns out Naraku came right for them, following Koga’s shards, in another attempt to merge the wolf with his own body, and thus, acquire the shards in his legs. In that instant, Inuyasha and Koga had forgotten that they hated each other, as they both went to work at battling the greater enemy. Within only half a second Sango and Miroku were fighting as well, in addition to Kagome, Shippo, and even Kirara. When Ginta and Hakkaku caught up with their leader, they, even as exhausted as they seemed, also jumped into the fight.

Out of nowhere Sesshomaru suddenly showed up, having apparently been tracking Naraku’s scent. Without a single word, he too, went about joining up in the battle.

When Kagura showed up, and Naraku ordered her to get the shards from the wolf, everyone was surprised when her “Dance of Blades” attack barely knocked the things from his shins, fully aware of the damage she could inflict upon a body with that attack. Inuyasha tried to make a dive for them as they laid on the ground, but a tentacle shooting out of Naraku’s body got to them first. When his comment that the only one that then remained was the single one Kagome had in her bottle around her neck, Sango felt her heart skip a beat in her chest, as it meant that Kohaku must be dead. As another tentacle shot out from the evil hanyou’s body, Inuyasha dove for its target, and knocked Kagome to the ground and to momentary safety. He then proceeded to order her to get out of there, but she wasn’t having it, instead notching another arrow, and continuing to assist in the attack. Though he was worried about her safety, he couldn’t help but also admire her for her courage and devotion.

Together, the group was doing a fairly good job of disembodying Naraku’s new body, but even though they were giving it their all, their all seemed not good enough, as he continually reconstructed himself, nearly as fast as they could cut him up.

When Kikyo appeared on the horizon, it was Kagome who noticed her first, and called to her. Within seconds Kikyo was flying through the air, with the assistance of her soul collectors, and landed right next to Kagome, commanding her that they must combined the forces of their arrows. She agreed, and together, the two mikos stood side by side, and firing their arrows simultaneously, they nearly purified that which is Naraku. In his moment of extreme weakness, Miroku took the opportunity to suck up most of his broken body, so that he couldn’t then, reconstruct himself. Weakened, and appearing as nothing much beyond a floating head, surrounded by random pieces of misc. youkai body parts, Naraku continued to spit his words of hatred, and self-confidence, that is, until the combined blast from both Tetsusaiga and Tokijin, reduced him to nothing but a memory.

Now that memory still haunted her, as she recalled the last words Naraku had said.

“You think you have won, but my influence shall reign forever. You can never heal the death I have caused. You can never ease the suffering you shall feel in the wake of my wrath….”

He had then turned, and addressed the miko herself...

“To think, Kikyo, this is all your doing, in a way. For even with the deeds Kagome has done, shattering the jewel, and the countless lives I’ve taken in an attempt to recollect the pieces, she is, after all, nothing but your reincarnation. It was your inability to protect the jewel in the first place, your bleeding heart over the mortal Onigumo, and your lack of faith in the man you supposedly loved, that caused the torment you shall now feel for all time, as you continue to walk the earth, half a soul incased within the animated shell of a corpse.”

His words stung her, really stung her. Not that she cared much that he referred to her as nothing but a reincarnation. Chuckling smally to herself, she realized, Inuyasha’s called her that for years, though it had seemed to cease during the last one. But what truly stung were Naraku’s words to Kikyo, she felt sorry for her, truly sorry. Throughout the three years since she was first resurrected, the two had eventually grown close, as Kagome accepted that part of Inuyasha’s heart would always belong to Kikyo, and Kagome herself tried to stop making herself measure up to the dead priestess in Inuyasha’s eyes. She knew that, though he may love her, he also still loved Kikyo, and if it ever came down to it, he would choose her.

A single tear leaked out the side of Kagome’s eye, as she realized, it had come down to it. “It” was upon her, she thought, as she again rolled the jewel around in her hand. She knew that Inuyasha no longer wanted to use it to become a full fledged youkai, but rather, he’d hinted in the past, and she’d over heard him talking in the past with Miroku as well, that he believed he could use the jewel to bring Kikyo back to life.

Kagome had to admit, the thought, in a way, brought a smile to her lips. It’d be one way to undo at least some of the damage that Naraku had caused. But yet, the thought saddened her also, because even though she’d already accepted that she and Inuyasha would never be anything beyond friends, purifying the jewel would mean, she could never see him again, at all. No jewel meant no well, which meant no feudal era, which meant, no Inuyasha.

Reluctantly convincing herself that she’d made the right decision, albeit a decision that would likely cause her years of depression as a result, she would give the jewel to Inuyasha in the morning, and say her farewells.