InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fate will find a way... ❯ Selfless wish? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 2 – Selfless wish?


The peaceful silence of morning was broken by the sounds of arguing, as the first rays of light made their appearance upon the horizon.

Shippo was the first to wake, having superior hearing to that of his human companions. Once Sango and Miroku had woken up, they found themselves having to drag it out of Shippo as to why he was crying, as he’d heard all too clearly the conversation taking place that they both could still not hear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Don’t say that!” He bellowed, as he effortlessly dodged the few stones he found chucked in his general direction, thrown by none other than the hysterically upset Kagome.

Seeing his approach, she paused for a moment, and rubbed the sides of her temples in an attempt to calm herself down, and ease back the pounding headache she was currently feeling, as the pressure behind her eyes made it feel like her head was about to explode.

She’d wanted to make a clean break, tear it off fast, like a band-aid, but things don’t always work out according to plan….

***************

She handed him the jewel, and had to immediately avert her gaze from the confused expression that he started sported upon his perfect face. She started berating herself for thinking things like that then, thinking about how perfect he was, and how Kikyo never thought so, and in turn, he never believed so himself. When she’d told him that she knew he wanted to use the jewel to bring Kikyo back to life, and said that she agreed, though she’d never forget him, and always love him, he snapped back at her last words, apparently not wanting to hear that she loved him at the moment.

The words had stung him, and since he was already feeling enough pain as it was, it was just the final straw.

“You don’t love me!” He spat out of seemingly nowhere, throwing Kagome for a literal loop.

She’d expected to cry, but she’d expected the scene to be tender, him holding her, apologetically stroking her hair, while he told her it was the only way, told her that they themselves, were simply never meant to be. That she was prepared for, not this!

Was he just trying to get her angry with him, so she’d hate him instead of herself? Was he in some sort of denial, not wanting to believe that she loved him, because if she didn’t love him then he could feel less pain over this whole situation? Or was it denial of a different kind, lead by his stead fast convincing of himself that nobody could ever love him?

Yes….




“How can you say that?” She’d spat in return after allowing the few seconds it took for his words to sink in. “I’ve loved you for years!”

“Well then you’re stupider than I thought!” Was the next brilliantly formed sentence to flow from his lips.

Kagome damn it… He thought to himself… I don’t deserve your love.

“Well good then!” She yelled at the top of her lungs, hurt flying from her words like venom, “I’m glad to know you won’t miss me when I’m gone! I’d hate to think that you might actually regret your decision, and live in as much pain as I’m about to!”

“Just shut up will you!” He snapped back, wishing she’d just sit him and be done with it…

“Oh don’t worry, I’ll shut up, I’ll shut up for good! In fact, maybe after I bring your true love back to life, I’ll have her return the favor, and end mine!” She screamed in delirious hysteria, as she then collapsed on the ground in a fit of tears.

She knew she’d never have it in her to kill herself over this, though at the moment, she wouldn’t have objected if something else crept out of hiding, and did the deed for her.



When he shouted “Don’t say that!” she found herself picking up and chucking a few small rocks in his direction, as he attempted to approach her fallen form.

Pausing to calm herself down finally, she allowed him to reach her, while she rubbed her temples and attempted to even her breathing. Finally it happened, the hug she’d been expecting all along. He’d wrapped himself around her forcefully, as if to keep her from disappearing, as he again whispered “Don’t say that…..” in her ear.

She didn’t respond, except to grip him firmly in turn, and continue to cry, while burying her face in his shoulder.

“If there were another way…..” He started softly, but she never let him finish.

“There isn’t. Once the jewel is purified, I won’t be able to return.”

“I will miss you.” He then whispered instead, while tightening his grip on her. He then added “Promise me you’ll live.”

She pulled back enough to look him in the eyes, and feigning a smile, mumbled low “I promise….”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Watc hing this all transpire from the sidelines, a certain undead miko whose body would shortly no longer be composed of mere clay and bones, sported a twisted and sadistic smile.