InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fate will find a way... ❯ Resealed ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 4 – Resealed



For Inuyasha, it would be 7 months since that autumn morning he saw Kagome drop out of his life seemingly forever, that the fates would take it upon themselves to smile on our beloved hanyou, though it may not seem like it at the time.



Again he found himself answering the calls of fearful villagers, as he’d rush to their side and aid in destroying whatever abomination it was that was causing havoc.

Sango was beginning to show more fully, and it made Miroku more and more nervous to leave her behind to go on these battles, afraid in the back of his mind of dying and leaving her widowed with their new babe. But with Inuyasha by his side, nothing could touch him. His hanyou friend always did seem to do much of the work, if not all of it, but he was at least there to offer assistance, when needed. He and his wife had long since forgiven the hanyou, and only now wished, that he could find it in himself, to forgive himself. He would always try to come up with reassuring things to say, stuff along the lines of how Kagome is safe in her time, and how she wouldn’t want him to be beating himself up inside over his decision. Miroku was also secretly glad that they hadn’t had to kill Koga, he knew if Kagome had witnessed the exchange, it would have brought a smile to her lips. They hadn’t seen hide nor hair of the guy in over a month, though Inuyasha said from time to time that he smelt wolf. At those times, it was always away from any villages, as if they were hunting deeply within the woods.

This last youkai was proving to be more formidable than either had predicted, and for the first time in months, Miroku caught himself wishing he still had the use of his Wind Tunnel.

Inuyasha was not backing down, no matter how relentless the creature was.

It was a rather large dragon youkai, but not the friendly kind like Ah-Un that was more like a large horse, grazing on fields. No, this bubba was the type of dragon from which nightmares are made. Its presence would provoke, in most people, images of a white knight fighting his way to a castle to rescue the sleeping princess. However, Inuyasha not familiar with any western influences such as these, went about in an attempt to slice the thing to pieces, when we all know you have to pierce a dragon’s heart in order to kill it. He tried to slice of its head, which could have worked, except the scales were too thick for Tetsusaiga to cut through. Just when he’d gotten the idea to use Red Tetsusaiga, and attack the thing as if its armor were a barrier, it managed to knock the blade free from his hand with a mighty swat from its tail. In a matter of seconds, Inuyasha found himself pined to the ground below one of its mighty talons, and that was the last thing he remembered…..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome woke up screaming, causing Sota, who was the closest, to rush into the bathroom to see what the matter was. That caused an embarrassed squeak to be produced from both persons, before he quickly scurried away muttering things along the lines of needing a coodies vaccine for his eyes.

Apparently, Kagome had fallen asleep in the bath again, she realized begrudgingly to herself, but she never woke up screaming before, and what troubled her even more was that she couldn’t remember what she’d been dreaming, nor did she truly have the sensation that she had been dreaming. It was more like something had scared her, truly her, though she was safe at home. She felt an evil presence, but she presumed it was all in her head, because now as she tried to stretch out with her miko powers, she could sense nothing.

It was like a vision… She thought to herself. But a vision of what? She wished she could remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The youkai blood within his veins boiled to life, and in an instant Inuyasha had freed himself from the dragon’s clasp, by promptly slicing away the offending talons. The dragon youkai looked down in utter horror to see itself missing a hand, and quickly attempted to lunge its mouth down at its prey, but by the time it managed the maneuver, which Miroku would have missed had he blinked, the youkai already found itself kissing air, as Inuyasha was nowhere to be seen.

Knowing he was already no match for the youkai himself, and now fairly confident that the youkai wouldn’t be alive much longer, Miroku decided to concentrate on his own life, as he scurried himself out of view, and sneakingly managed to collect the fallen Tetsusaiga, knowing later he’d be faced with a whole new youkai, one whom he hoped he could reach without Kagome’s influence.

Inuyasha came up from behind upon the beast, and in seconds, sliced off its tail, perhaps in retaliation for the appendage having disarmed him earlier. It never ceased to amaze Miroku, that when Inuyasha gave it his all, with all the fury of his youkai self blazing, his claws could do more damage that Tetsusaiga’s blade. Not that he could replicate the powerful energy attacks the demonic sword was capable of, but then again, not that he’d want to either. Youkai-Inuyasha much prefers to tear things to shreds with his bare hands, and that’s exactly what he was doing! His instinct seemed to call to him, as he went for the beast’s throat and chest, and though the dragon retaliated by continually swatting with its one remaining hand, it couldn’t bat Inuyasha free from itself, as he held on with three clawed appendages, as well as fangs, and dug into the beast’s chest with his remaining hand. As the dragon youkai’s heart fell lifeless to the ground, the rest of its body quickly followed suit, as it came down with a crash that shook the village.

Miroku took that as his cue to tenderly approach the situation, speaking softly, calmly, while holding out Tetsusaiga’s grip towards his friend.

“Well done Inuyasha.” Miroku said in his usual cheery voice, albeit hesitantly.

The inu youkai turned to him, a look of recognition not present on his face.

“Inuyasha, it’s me, Miroku, do you remember me?” He asked cautiously, while taking a few steps forward.

Perhaps somewhere deep in the back of Inuyasha’s mind, he did remember that he knew this person, and that was why he fled, not wishing to cause his friend harm. Miroku attempted to give chase, but quickly realized he wouldn’t be fast enough. He found himself wishing he had Kirara with him. Sango had tried to insist that he take her, but he in turn had insisted that she stay behind to offer Sango protection should danger strike their home village in his absence. Shippo tried to help Sango, saying that he was there, and Sango had agreed, complimenting the kit. But in the end, Miroku won the argument, with Inuyasha’s help, he remembered, as his hanyou friend had assured his wife, and the young kitsune, that he’d never let anything happen to him. Apparently, Miroku realized, Inuyasha was still keeping his word, considering he was still standing there, and hadn’t been attacked by the transformed
beast that is still his friend.

Running as quickly as he could back into the village, he managed to convince them he required the use of a horse, and assured them, that once he was done, he would return it. Considering he and his friend had just saved their sorry lives, they had no choice but to comply, lending Miroku the fastest horse they had. Riding back to his home village at full gallop, he got there in only a matter of 20 minutes, and after giving someone instructions on returning the horse, he quickly ran in after Sango and Kirara. There was no talking her out of it this time, and even Shippo successfully put his foot down, as the three of them together rode atop their feline friend, in search of their canine friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Kagome couldn’t shake the feeling that something bad had happened, or was happening, yet she couldn’t put her finger on it. But at the same time, she felt in the back of head that it was a necessity, and that it would reveal itself when the time came. She didn’t know where that belief was coming from, other than simply accepting that it must be part of her miko instincts. She had always believed, ever since she was young, that all things happen for a reason, that everything that takes place is meant to be. That belief brought her comfort in the knowledge that she was supposed to fall down the well three and a half years ago, and that even now, her life was where it was supposed to be. She tried to chock it all up as a learning experience, though the underlying depression had never left her since the day he had left her. Since the first day she’d discovered some people appeared to contain microscopic traces of demonic blood, she’d made it her personal mission to try harder to seek out any and all youkai presence in her time. She knows that they’re supposed to live for centuries, if not millennia, for some, so where could they all have gone? She highly doubted they all died out like the dinosaurs. They’re there, somewhere, they’re just hiding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Spotting Inuyasha running deep within the woods, they descended and planting themselves in his path. Miroku still had Inuyasha’s sword, and tried again to hand it to him, while Shippo blocked other paths of Inuyasha’s escape by putting up a wall of fox-fire. It was a risk, they were cornering him, and he may have well attacked them for it. But they stayed on Kirara’s back, confident that she could fly them to safety should that happen. Instead of attacking, or trying to run, Inuyasha just stood there for a moment, looking them over. It was as if something in the back of his mind was screaming at him that he knew these people, though he couldn’t place it. But even still, his instincts told him they weren’t a threat. But something else was a threat he quickly realized, as he turned, and leapt straight through the wall of blue flame, heading towards whatever it was that was trying to sneak up on him, trying to attack him. It was around this time that Shippo said he smelt Kagome, but it wasn’t quite right. Sango and Miroku looked back and forth between each other, and the direction that Inuyasha had just taken off in, as each realized the same thing…..

“Kikyo no!” Miroku and Sango both shouted at the same time, as they made their approach to see Inuyasha standing, flexing his claws and baring his fangs, at the miko who had an arrow notched in her bow, aimed straight for his heart.

“He has lost himself to his youkai side, there is nothing that can be done.” She stated eerily calm.

“That’s not true!” Shippo whaled. Sango calmed the kit while Miroku continued for him.

“This has happened in the past, he can be brought back. We need to subdue him so we can return his sword.”

“A waste of time. It would be a bandage quick to fall, the next time this should happen, his sword would no longer contain him.” She explained it all with an air of frustration, like she was above having to explain anything.

“What do you mean?” Asked Sango, once she had gotten Shippo to stop crying.

“He feels incomplete, even with his father’s fang. His inner soul is lost to turmoil, and has accepted the beast within as a means of escape. Only Kagome’s influence would be enough to bring forth his human heart.”

Sango didn’t know if half of what Kikyo was spouting was true. Surely his father’s sword could contain his youkai blood, as it always had. But something Kikyo said definitely rang true in her ears, that Kagome would be able to bring him back. But why was Kikyo admitting this? Before she could voice her question, her husband did it for her.

“Why, if you are aware of this fact, did you manipulate Inuyasha into sending her away?”

“I did nothing of the sort….” She said with an evil grin on her face that said otherwise.

Inuyasha was getting tired of everyone talking about him, even if he didn’t understand what they were saying. All he knew was that the people behind him seemed to be allies, part of his pack, while the bitch in front of him was his enemy. He could tell she wanted him dead, and he could tell the people behind him held a fear of her. It was his job to protect them, so he lunged.

Everyone saw it happening in slow motion, Inuyasha flying through the air towards Kikyo, while she, in turn, held her notched arrow high, as it glowed a fierce pink, ready to purify. Miroku tried to sooth Shippo’s sobs, saying that maybe, the arrow wouldn’t kill Inuyasha, but only purify his youkai side, leaving him human. While that conversation was taking place, Sango ran right over towards Kikyo, placing herself in harm’s way of Inuyasha in the process, while she tried one last time, to reach the priestess that had once loved this man.

“Don’t kill him.” She damn near begged. “You said it yourself, his soul is incomplete, it’s not his fault he’s this way. All his life has been nothing but heartache, and then loosing the woman he loved, twice….”

She had to pause when a tear dripped down her cheek. Fortunately for her, Inuyasha had halted his attack when she moved next to his target, or slow motion or no, she wouldn’t have had time for such a speech. Looking up over at her friend, she saw the madness in his eyes, the lack of recognition, yet, he hadn’t attacked regardless of her presence...

“You see…” She whispered, pointing towards him while looking Kikyo right in the eyes. “His human heart still exists, it still exists. Do you truly hate this man so terribly? Didn’t you ever love him?”

A single tear slipped down Kikyo’s cheek as she continued to aim her bow. Closing her eyes, the glowing light surrounding her arrow changed from pink to blue, then, she let it fly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome stopped in her tracks as the oddest sensation came over her. She was at the firing range, preparing to shoot off her first arrow, when she suddenly lowered the bow, and examined it, and her arrow, wanting to be sure they weren’t glowing. She’d always had control over her spiritual powers before, but for some reason, she felt it channeling itself unnaturally strongly through that arrow, and she had to put it down, before she lit up the entire chute.

“What’s wrong Kagome?” Ayumi suddenly asked.

She’d asked Kagome once, timidly, if she could accompany her to the firing range, wanting to share something with her friend that their other two considered ‘weird’. Ayumi herself was used to being the weird one, liking school and tests and all, but now Yuka and Eri consider Kagome the weird one, still pining over the jealous controlling boyfriend they believed she was better without.

Kagome felt she could reveal herself to Ayumi alone, her heart and soul, as she’d poured out on many occasions the love she still feels for the man who she’ll never see again. Ayumi tried to convince her that if they were meant to be, that he’d come around, that things could come to play, that they’d be together again, but Kagome shrugged it off, assuring her that they weren’t meant to be together, because nothing could bring him around to her now. Ayumi knew there were details she was not privy to, but tried her best to comfort Kagome nonetheless. When she saw her friend hesitate with firing the arrow, she wondered what it was that had passed through her mind.

“Something you want to share with me?” She asked tenderly.

“I’m….I’m fine, sorry, just got a weird feeling, but it’s gone now.”

Ayumi nodded, and watched in silence as Kagome let the arrow fly, followed by another, and then another, all the while quietly in awe over her friend of many years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

The sound of the arrow zipping through the air was muffled by Shippo’s cry of “Noooo!”

But before anyone had time to react, they saw the arrow strike true, piercing Inuyasha’s heart. But, instead of disappearing in a burst of light, or even turning human, he seemed only to drop where he stood, appearing dead at first, until they examined him and found that he was actually breathing.

“What?” Sango asked looking back at Kikyo, unable to process what she was seeing, confusion plainly visible on her face.

Miroku was the next one to chime in. “It would appear Lady Kikyo (first time he’d called her so formally since her revival) has sealed Inuyasha.”

“Sealed him? You mean, like before?” Shippo asked, wiping the tears from his face.

“I cannot revive him, it is not in my power. This spell is meant to last for all time, however…..”

“However?” Sango repeated, cocking an eyebrow.

“This spell has already been proven breakable, in the past.”

Kagome everything thought in unison.