InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fate will find a way... ❯ Camping trip ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 5 – Camping trip



Another month had passed since Kagome last sensed anything weird, or woke up screaming. Lately, she was finding herself having rather pleasant dreams, and waking up in a fairly good mood, until the reality of life snuck in, and again she would spiral downward into her mundane depression, until it was time to again forget it all, as sleep took her.

Her friends had all been trying to get her to do something this summer, before they’d all be starting college the following autumn, but besides the few times Ayumi accompanied her to the archery range, she rarely did anything with any of them, except for the occasional meals at WacDonald’s, and occasional movies.

Ayumi had learned through their private talks, that Kagome really loves the outdoors, and had often, with her boyfriend, and apparently some other mutual friends she didn’t know, camped out under the stars. Kagome had since confessed to everyone that she was never truly sick, that she had spent all that time with him, as he lived far away. But whenever Ayumi tried to convince her to just go back to wherever that place was, and try to make amends as they’d done in the past, she kept reassuring her that she couldn’t, emphasizing the word, as if it were physically impossible, though she’d never elaborate.

Finally deciding then, that staying around the shrine simply wasn’t healthy for her, Ayumi put her sneaky little plan into action. They were all actually surprised, that when they proposed the idea to Kagome, she actually agreed to go. Turned out, Hojo used to go camping up in one of the mountains with his older brother, and he knew the perfect spot near a nice stream. Kagome figured it couldn’t hurt anything, and her mother agreed that doing something her body was familiar with, would probably lift her spirits. Kagome honestly didn’t know if it would make her feel better or worse, but she did know she wanted to spend some quality time with her friends before they all left for college.

Yuka and Hojo had exchanged glances back and forth when they saw Kagome bringing a bow and quiver of arrows, but finally it was Eri who asked “What’s up with the arrows?” to which Kagome blandly replied “I’d never go unarmed…” while giving off an expression meant to say duh.

“Don’t worry…” Hojo piped up, puffing out his chest in the process. “Should danger strike, I’ll protect you ladies….”

Kagome couldn’t help but giggle at that. The way he’d said “I’ll protect you” was in the same tone of voice Harvey Birdman says “I’ll take the case” and even Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi had to suppress a smile.


Yuka got in the front seat next to Hojo, of course, and in the backseat, Kagome sat in the middle, feeling literally trapped in between Eri and Ayumi. This was going to be a long car ride, for they were heading deep into the mountain, on a real camping trip, not one of those rented little spaces where you have a BBQ pit and a porta-poty. After about 20 minutes of awkward silence, Hojo had the bright idea of turning on the radio.

“How about some music?” He said in his usual charming voice.

Nobody protested, so with a *click* on came the sounds. Nobody really paid much attention to the words being sung, at first.

I tried to go on like I never knew you
I’m awake, but my world is half asleep
I pray for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I’m going to be is…incomplete

It wasn’t until Ayumi, in passing, happened to notice a single dear drifting silently down Kagome’s cheek, that she snapped at the girl in the front seat. “Yuka, change the channel!”

“Huh?” was Yuka’s response, until she glanced behind her to see her crestfallen friend. Fumbling with the controls, she immediately began surfing the stations for a more appropriate song.

*change channel*

As my memory rests, but never forgets what I lost
Wake me up, when September ends

*change channel*

It must have been love, but it’s over now
From the moment we touched, to the time I ran out

*change channel*

Laughing nervously, Yuka thought to hell with the English pop stations, and turned it to a native Japanese speaking station. But it would truly appear that the radio gods were cursing Kagome on this day, for the song that immediately began to play was none other than Sukiyaki, (or as it was originally known, Ue o Muite Aruko) The first lines translate to….

It’s all because of you, I’m feeling sad and blue
You went away, and now my life is just a rainy day
I love you so, how much you’ll never know
You’ve gone away and left me lonely

Clicking the radio back off in frustration, she was about to apologize when they all suddenly heard Kagome burst out into laughter.

“Uh, Kagome?” Eri asked.

“Just figures, doesn’t it?” Was Kagome’s response, with a genuine chuckle passing through her lips.

Well, at least she was smiling, even if it was in appreciation over the twisted irony of her own situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they finally arrived at the spot where they’d have to ditch their car, they all unloaded, and went about strapping themselves up with their packs. Hojo, Yuka, and Eri were all immediately impressed with the instinctive knowledge Kagome seemed to possess, as she assisted in getting them all strapped in, then went about placing her quiver below her own backpack, in such a fashion that she could reach behind her for her arrows should she require them. Then, carrying her bow in her hand, she signaled that she was ready to head out whenever they were. Ayumi smiled.

The only one able to keep up with Kagome’s stamina was Hojo, having hiked this particular trail himself, though the last time was several years back. If Kagome hadn’t already come clean that she didn’t suffer from any illnesses, it would have become apparent in this instant anyway, because she was a beacon of health as she tromped ahead through the woods.

Yuka, not wanting to be without the arm of her fiancé, managed to scurry her feet to catch up, and together, the three walked on in the lead, while Ayumi and Eri slowly drug behind. Kagome, sensing this, turned around with a knowing expression on her face, and said…

“Okay…we’ll rest here for a little while.”

When Hojo, pumped full of adrenaline due to the brisk walk, protested with “But we’ll get there faster if-” he was cut off mid-thought by Kagome’s reflex remark of...

“Inuyasha we need to rest……” before the embarrassment caused a dark discoloration on her cheeks. “Uh…I mean Hojo.”

“So that was his name huh?” asked Eri, sympathetically, not teasingly.

“Uh…yeah.”

“I’m sorry Kagome…” Ayumi piped up, “…if this trip is going to cause you painful memories.”

“No no no!” Kagome insisted, throwing on that fake smile again. “I’m fine, just a slip of the tongue….” She chuckled a genuine chuckle, and then proceeded to slump her pack off one shoulder, and dig through it for five water bottles.

They were all sitting around in relative silence, when Kagome suddenly snapped her head up.

“What is it?” Everyone pretty much asked at once.

Then suddenly, a small rabbit came running into view, followed by the fox that was chasing it. Everyone had a mixture of thoughts at that moment.

Kagome thought I’m getting too jumpy, but better to be on alert I guess.

Hojo thought Go fox go!

Yuka thought Oh the poor little rabbit!

Eri thought Great, now I’m hungry

Ayumi thought I didn’t hear a thing, did Kagome somehow ‘sense’ them coming?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading out again, Hojo informed them that the spot they were heading for wasn’t too far off now, and low and behold, his words spoke true, as within an hour they found themselves in a perfect clearing for camping. They could all hear the trickle of the near by stream, that Hojo said contained fish. They had also brought other revisions as well, such as granola bars, beef jerky, trail mix, and of course, Kagome brought ramen. Her mother had asked her if it was wise, but she’d smiled and said she wouldn’t have it any other way. Hojo had been impressed when they’d gone over the list of everything to bring before heading out, and Kagome hadn’t skipped a single item, such as matches, kettles, extra water bottles, medicines and bandages, etc. He was actually surprised to find she’d had a couple of things on her list of camping necessities that he hadn’t considered, I mean, besides her bow and arrows. While Hojo’s mind went along the line of batteries and flashlights, radios and compasses, Kagome had thought of special herbs to burn in the fire, whose scent would help ward off wild animals, and she’d also brought along a couple of her medical books, which explained various illnesses and remedies, which plants were beneficial vs. which ones were poisonous, and what to do vs. what not to do should this or that arise. It suddenly seemed quite obvious to Hojo, even more so than before, that she’d not only camped before as she’d admitted, but had likely spent months at a time out in the wilderness.

Hojo had insisted to be the one to build the camp fire, so Kagome took the opportunity to gather water for boiling from the stream. Ayumi went with her, while Yuka assisted her to-be husband, and Eri suddenly found herself very alone, so after glancing across at the happy couple placing stones and sticks, she got up, and headed for the stream.

“Hey Hojo was right…” She heard Kagome say.

“Yeah, there are fish everywhere….” Added Ayumi.

“Maybe we should catch some and surprise them…” Eri suddenly piped up, startling Ayumi, who then noticed Kagome was not startled, almost as if she’d sensed her coming as well.

Turning around normally, Kagome looked over at Eri and said “That’s a good idea, but one thing I never really learned, was how to fish…” She confessed.

“Oh goodie, then that means I can help!” She piped up happily, while assembling the fishing rod she’d brought with her.

Ayumi smiled and said she’d take the pot of water back to camp, while Kagome went about gathering worms and grubs Eri could use for bait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their first night in the woods went off without a hitch. Everyone loved the grilled fish dinner, who though Kagome didn’t know how to catch, sure knew how to clean and cook. But Eri felt appreciated since she was the one who actually caught the fish, and smiled happily as she finished off her last bite. Yuka and Hojo were already settling in within their sleeping bag, after Kagome had assured them she wanted them to go ahead and show their happiness. Thinking to herself, she’d had enough of people in love not showing their feelings to one another. She realized it bothered her still, in a way, because it reminded her of what she’d lost (not that she’d ever truly had it to begin with) but she was still happy for them all the same, and her smile was real at the moment.