InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fates Intertwined ❯ Who'll Stop the Rain ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. I just enjoy making them play with each other.
 
This was written for the Summer Challenge #2 at the mirsanficart community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “Rain” and the limit was 500 words.
 
Title: Who'll Stop the Rain
Rating: G
Pairing: Miroku/Sango
Word count: 500
Summary: Miroku returns home to a not-so-warm welcome
 
 
Who'll Stop the Rain
 
Miroku was currently unhappy - no, that was an understatement. He was utterly and completely miserable. He was standing in the rain, staring despondently at the home he shared with Sango. Correction - had shared.
 
He didn't even know what he had done wrong. He had made a trip to the neighboring village with InuYasha to banish a troublesome youkai. When he returned his wife was furious with him, and he had no idea as to why. She refused to let him into the hut he built for her. So here he was, standing in the rain with his robes and hair plastered to him.
 
“Come on,” he heard from behind him. “You'll get sick if you stay out here like this.”
 
Still, he refused to move until a clawed hand grasped his shoulder and firmly turned him away. He didn't even remember entering the old miko's hut and sitting down by the fire.
 
Kaede had the good graces not to comment on the fact that his eyes were suspiciously puffy and red. However, she did remark as she handed him a cup of tea, “We hear you were quite busy in the next village.”
 
Miroku cocked his head and furrowed his brow. “There was more than one youkai. So yes, the extermination took longer than we initially thought it would.”
 
“We heard you kept the company of several pretty girls while you were there,” Kaede told him.
 
 
“I…” the monk sighed. “I did not encourage them.”
 
“The traveler that came through from there said that you spent the night with them,” the old miko commented.
“I… I… I never! I mean I did… but not like that!” Miroku protested. “I couldn't help that the village headman had seven daughters!”
 
Miroku heard InuYasha snort as he disappeared through the doorway.
 
Kaede suggested, “Perhaps you should tell your wife what actually happened.”
 
“I would, but she won't let me in my own home.” The despondent monk fell silent and stared at the fire.
 
They sat in silence, listening to the rain pound down, reflecting the glumness of Miroku's mood. He'd been so happy to reach home only to find his wife wouldn't speak to him. He was lost in his thoughts when he realized that the deluge had let up. With a sigh, he stood.
 
“Thank you for tea and a place to dry out,” Miroku said. “I should go.”
 
About that time the covering over the door flew back and Sango rushed in. “I'm so sorry! I should have let you explain.”
 
Miroku caught her in his arms and held her as close as her very swollen abdomen would allow him. “You're not mad any more?”
 
She shook her head. “Let's just go home.”
 
Not having a clue what might have happened, the monk readily agreed.
 
After they were gone, InuYasha silently slipped back inside.
 
Kaede looked at him knowingly and quirked her brow.
 
The hanyou shrugged his shoulders. “I know what it's like to be punished for something I didn't do.”