InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Fairy Tale ❯ All Kinds of Attacks ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Feudal Fairy Tale

Starlight Demon 22

Warning: I do NOT own Inuyasha, the other characters, or the plot from the manga or anime. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi and everyone involved with that whole thing. I only own my own character, Akemi, other than that no.

Chapter 2- Attacks of all Kinds
***************************************************************** *************************************************************************** *************************************************************************** *************************

Kagome woke the next morning and was surprised to find herself in her bed, still wearing her miko robes from the day before. Today she knew she didn't have to wear them because Kaede was leaving the village to visit the neighboring one to help a laboring woman that the local midwife was having problems helping. She got up and grabbed another yukata and left the hut as she always did, forgetting that she now had a hanyou following her every move. She went to the river and looked around, feeling for any energies that might belong to someone who might be watching her or happen upon her. When she didn't feel anyone close by, she slid out of her clothes and into the water to wash herself. As she washed she never noticed the pair of eyes watching her, well the two pair. One pair was out of curiosity and the desire to learn all about this miko that fought to protect him and welcome him into her community. The other pair, wasn't so curious as it was more hungry.

Kagome relaxed some, enjoying the peace that her now crowded hut wasn't going to have much more of anymore. Not that she was complaining, Inuyasha was already a great help and he had only been there an afternoon. As she got out and dried herself off, obviously off in another world as her mind constantly thought of Inuyasha, the one set of eyes decided it was time to get her unawares. Inuyasha noticed it only just too late as Kagome screamed after quickly getting dressed. She threw her arms up as she quickly chanted and the barier only got up just as her arm got slashed. Inuyasha grabbed the giant centipede youkai and threw her down stream some and continued to stand between her and Kagome, prepared to stop the youkai with his life if need be. Kagome watched stunned, protected by her barrier and realizing the village men were behind her as the centipede decided to attack again. Inuyasha cut his arm, to Kagome's horror, and covered his claws in his own blood.

"Blades of Blood!" he shouted and slashed. Everyone watched as the blades of blood flew through the air and sliced up the centipede before she moved much further, dropping in peices and dying on the spot. Kagome allowed her barrier to drop just as he turned to her and looked at her angrily. "Can't you even protect yourself?" he demanded.

"Yes, I can protect myself just fine, thank you very much." Kagome said not understanding why he was yelling at her.

"Yeah, that was quite obvious by the slash on your arm," Inuyasha growled as he shook his head and ripped the hem of her yukata. She watched amazed as he soaked it in the river before tying it tightly around her arm and then scooping her up in his arms and hopping off to take her home. He arrived to see Souta just leaving and looking at them amazed as Inuyasha walked past him without a second glance. Li looked up from her cleaning to see him put Kagome on the floor and the bloody cloth around her daughter's arm.

"Kagome! What happened?" Li asked upset as she got up and moved to her daughter's arm.

"I got attacked by a centipede youkai at the river, fortunately Inuyasha wasn't far off." Kagome said as her mother went off and got some more bandages. Li nodded, not really listening to what her daughter was saying because it was obvious her attacker wasn't poisonous. Inuyasha silently watched as Li worked on Kagome's wound, not really listening either. When he had seen the centipede youkai attack Kagome he was surprised and scared at the same time and he didn't understand it. When Li was done with Kagome she moved to Inuyasha.

"What are you doing?" he asked confused.

"Taking care of your cut," she said as she worked. Inuyasha shook his head.

"But it's already healed." he said as she finished cleaning the wound to find out what he said was true. "See?"

"That's amazing," she said surprised and nodded as she thought. "Alright, thank you for protecting Kagome." Inuyasha nodded as he noticed Kagome's eyes light up.

"What were you doing by the stream?" she demanded as Inuyasha looked at her confused.

"Great way of saying thank you!" Inuyasha snapped at her.

"You were spying on me!" Kagome accused as Inuyasha flushed and looked at her stunned.

"Why would I want to look at a human?" Inuyasha snapped as he tried to cover up before anyone realized he actually was spying on Kagome. "I was off looking for some more fish, they were good last night and I wanted some for lunch."

"Liar," Kagome said as she crossed her arms and turned her back to him. He scoffed at her as he tried to think of what to say next. "You came awfully fast, even for a hanyou." Inuyasha flushed as he grumbled to himself.

"Keh," he said as he stormed out of the hut and found her brother waiting for him. "Lets go kid."

"I'm not a kid, Inuyasha," Souta protested.

"Well, you sure as hell aren't a man, are you?" Inuyasha asked as Souta sighed and shrugged. "Look, today we're hunting. You need to learn how to provide your current and your future families with meat. It has nutrients and such that growing families need. Cooked or not." Souta made a face at the idea of uncooked meat. "What?"

"You eat your meat raw?" Souta asked surprised.

"Occassionally, but not very often." Inuyasha said as they walked into the forest. "Now, I know you've caught a few rabbits, but we're going to hunt a few more things, bigger than a rabbit." Souta nodded enthusiastically, excited to get to hunt larger animals and learning from Inuyasha was always going to prove an interesting tactic. As they stomped through the forest, Souta listened as Inuyasha grumbled to himself while looking around.

"What's the matter, Inuyasha?" Souta asked as he ran to keep up with the much quicker and older hanyou.

"Nothin, keep quiet we're almost there. Once you start getting close to your hunting spot you start to go quiet, move slower, and make sure you're down wind. Animals aren't stupid creatures, they hear or smell you and they'll run." Inuyasha warned him as Souta nodded enthusiastically. They set up traps and such as Inuyasha instructed Souta. "We'll go fish while we wait for something to set off the traps." Inuyasha told him. Souta nodded as they headed over to the river to see a few men looking around.

"Hanyou, Souta," the head of the village said stoically. Inuyasha rolled his eyes as Souta nodded to him. "Have you come to help remove the pieces of Lady Centipede?"

"No, I'm teaching Souta how to fish and hunt." Inuyasha said as Souta nodded. The man just looked at him amused.

"Doesn't hunting involve taking chase after the animal, hanyou? Or is that why you have to steal from villages?" he taunted as Inuyasha growled annoyed.

"Lets just go fishing, Inuyasha, we can provide lunch for Kagome and mama." Souta said as Inuyasha headed off to where they could fish without being disturbed.

"Now, I know you humans fish differently than we do and I'm sure it's been covered with you," Inuyasha said as Souta nodded, "so I'm just going to grab the fish and then we can head back to the hut. We'll check the traps after lunch."

"Alright," Souta said as he watched Inuyasha, throwing the dead fish into a basket Inuyasha brought along. They quickly gathered enough fish to fill everyone and Inuyasha intentionally led Souta by the men working, all looked at the basket overflowing with fish surprised. They arrived at the hut to find Kagome grimacing as a strange boy was sitting next to her with a big grin on his face and his hand holding hers as he spoke quickly with her mother and grandfather.

"It's wonderful that you wish to marry my daughter," Li said kind of surprised by the boy, "but because of her position in the village is very important..."

"I know, but that's all the more reason why she should be married. The men of the village will respect a married woman more than an unmarried one." he said quickly.

"To this I must agree," Kagome's grandfather said nodding as Li and Kagome just looked away to roll their eyes. "The men of the village will not follow the words of an unmarried woman..."

"Then explain their ability to listen to Kaede," Kagome snapped as she pulled her hand free. "And I will disagree to this, I want to marry the man of my choice."

"That, as you know, is not your choice," her grandfather reminded her. "It is the decision of the man of the house, and since Souta is still too young..."

"Too young for what?" Souta demanded as he stomped into the hut.

"Deciding who Kagome will marry," his mother said as she looked at him as if wishing her were a little older.

"Then I choose Inuyasha, who obviously knows more about being a grown up man than I do, to take my place on making the decisions until I am old enough or considered a man." Souta said as his grandfather almost growled in annoyance.

"What do you have to offer her?" Inuyasha asked as he handed Li the fish. She smiled her thanks as she took the fish to prepare and Kagome moved to join her.

"A home, security, and the honor of being called a married woman." he responded seriously. "Kagome is dishonoring her family the longer she remains unmarried."

"Kagome is a miko, last I checked they are to remain pure, at least until the end of their training. Kagome is still in training, is she not?" Inuyasha said shortly.

"Yes," Souta answered when no one else would while the women worked.

"Then definitely not until she's done her training," Inuyasha said as both men looked at him annoyed. "Besides, what security? You stood there like the rest of them gaping as she was attacked by a centipede."

"Who would have known she was going to be attacked while bathing, besides those who follow her around?" the young man shot out.

"I don't know, since I don't know if anyone was following her around. She's just lucky I wanted some fish," Inuyasha snapped back. The young man scoffed as Inuyasha growled. "And what was that?"

"I don't believe you were merely fishing." he said darkly as he looked like he was growing the resolve to finish what he was saying. "It seems kind of odd that you'd be fishing right by where Kagome was bathing."

"Since I was gone before she woke up this morning, I didn't know she was there, she was down wind from me. I heard her scream and the centipede crash through the brush to get her!" Inuyasha said in his defense.

"You mean the spot you took me to get the fish they're preparing?" Souta asked curiously. Inuyasha crossed his arms and nodded, thinking he was also against him. "Then Grandpa, Hojo, he couldn't have been spying. The brush is thick, anyone would have noticed the movement and the area is abundant in fish, look at all we caught." Inuyasha looked at the younger boy appreciatively as Hojo and Grandpa grumbled something but said nothing more on the subject. They both got up and left the hut, though both heard Hojo's last comment.

"I don't think it wise, sensei, to entrust your grandson to a monster..." Hojo said as he walked out of the hut. Inuyasha ignored him, as usual to those comments, but it obviously upset Souta.

"You're not a monster!" he said prepared to go out and hit Hojo for saying it. Inuyasha grabbed him by the collar and kept him from chasing after him.

"He's bigger than you, he'd kill you," Inuyasha said bluntly. "Besides, I don't care what he thinks. I know you're in dependable hands, as does your mother and sister, or your sister would have purified me by now." Souta nodded as he thought about it. "But thanks kid."

"For what?" Souta asked curiously.

"Defending me from the old man and his apprentice." Inuyasha said as Souta nodded. "Just don't tell your sister I said that." Souta smirked and nodded in agreement as they went to see if the girls needed anything as they worked.

"These are superb fish Inuyasha, you did it again," Li said as she cooked them. Kagome nodded silently in agreement as she worked with some herbs and the last of the fish. "And thank you for stopping Hojo, he's been very determined to marry Kagome. He even took up being Grandpa's apprentice to win favor for her. And, as much as it is bad to say so, he fell for it like an animal for a trap." Inuyasha nodded in agreement as Souta looked at Inuyasha curiously.

"Should we check them?" he asked as Inuyasha sat back and thought. It was still going to be a bit before lunch was ready, let alone when they finished eating.

"No, even if an animal gets caught in the traps, they're not going to escape. There's plenty of foliage for the animal to eat." Inuyasha said as Kagome looked up and listened. "Animal traps." He informed her. She nodded as she continued to work. Inuyasha relaxed some and sighed as he rested. Souta was working on his fishing like, fixing it up and preparing for the next time he should fish by himself or with friends.

Inuyasha got up while the fish were cooking and headed outside to relax some. Kagome watched him curiously and grabbed a bucket. "I'm going to get more water," she informed her mother. Li nodded as she kept an eye on the fish, not realizing they already had more than enough water for the day. Kagome followed him around the village, though no one really noticed her, they were more preoccupied with the hanyou none of them trusted. Inuyasha headed towards the stream he had been spying on Kagome earlier that day and sighed as he sat down and relaxed some.

Kagome poked her head through some bushes and watched as he laid back and closed his eyes, grateful the wind wasn't blowing towards him for him to sniff her out. She set the bucket upside down and sat on it as she prepared to watch him curiously. Inuyasha was interesting to her, and most of her family, as they had never encountered a hanyou, mostly youkai that wanted to eat them. The centipede from this morning was quite obvious of that, but he protected her from the centipede without thought of his own safety. It baffled her as to what this hanyou was doing there anyway, but to be saving humans, she wasn't sure if the human half of his heart had just taken over or what. She noticed a group of men from the village walking by with their fishing poles, none of them carrying as many fish as Inuyasha and Souta had brought home.

"What are you doing here, hanyou?" one of them demanded. Inuyasha kept his eyes closed.

"Resting," he said as if it weren't obvious, "because having a kid chase after you to learn what you men of the village should have started teaching him the second his father died isn't easy." Kagome smirked, she knew Souta probably asked a million questions, but she also knew he learned a lot since Inuyasha had been doing what Souta needed to learn since he was younger.

"I don't understand why Priestess Kagome allows you to remain anyway," one of the men said sourly, "it's not like you're worth saving. A worthless hanyou."

"Last I checked," Kagome said as she emerged with the bucket from the bushes, "that worthless hanyou, as you call him, saved my life this morning. And probably the village because something tells me that centipede wouldn't have stopped after me." The men looked at her slightly dumbfounded for a response. "And if you're going to sit there and do nothing but insult Inuyasha, I have a few things I could come up with for you to do." The leader just grimaced at the idea of running errands for her, or her telling their wives they were neglecting their duties to pester a hanyou.

"No, we're on our way," he said as she nodded and moved for them to leave. They started pass as Inuyasha sat up and watched them go. "I just don't think it's right that a priestess should be keeping a hanyou as a pet." At that Kagome got mad, even Inuyasha winced when she threw the bucket and hit the guy in the head.

"The only pets I have is my cat!" she snapped at him. "Now go back to your chores or I'll be speaking with your wives." The men all ran off as Kagome picked up her bucket and continued on to the stream. Inuyasha watched her and smirked to himself as she filled the bucket before turning to head home.

"You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were following me." he taunted. Kagome just flashed him a smile and went on her way. Inuyasha couldn't help but chuckle and ran after her, taking the bucket when he caught up and walked with her to their hut.