InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Fairy Tale ❯ Kikyo's Furious Departure ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Feudal Fairy Tale

Starlight Demon 22

Warning: I do NOT own Inuyasha, the other characters, or the plot from the manga or anime. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi and everyone involved with that whole thing. I only own my own character, Akemi, other than that no.

Chapter 4- Kikyo's Furious Departure

Kikyo's visit to the village became quite irksome to most of the residents. Because she was used to how things were done fifty years prior to today, she demanded they be done that way, even if the new way was much better. Though Kagome and Kaede continued on her lessons, Kikyo demanded that she be present for all of them from now on, insisting she had more to teach the girl than either of them realized. Kagome listened, as requested, to Kikyo but never did her lessons get heard. Kikyo was also constantly seen following Inuyasha around. When she had discovered the hanyou within the village she was furious and demanded he be put out until someone told her he was living with Kagome's family. Since then she had been seen following Inuyasha as if to learn more about him, which was partially true. She couldn't understand how a miko of great power, like Kagome, could allow such an unworthy advisary within her home.

"You know," Inuyasha said heatedly after one particular day of being followed by Kikyo, "one good hit and I can send her back to the dead." Kagome gave him a whithering look and shook her head. "Give me one reason why not."

"Because, despite her current situation, she is Kaede's sister, she is a miko, and she would be proven right." Kagome said as Inuyasha looked at her confused. "If you kill her again she'll be right, that all youkai and hanyou are mindless killing machines. Even if you tell the villagers that you did it for her benefit, they would still demand your death for hers." Li nodded in agreement as Inuyasha growled annoyed. "I know, she's been getting worse."

"Why is she so intent upon following Inuyasha?" Souta asked confused. Since Kikyo's desire to learn about Inuyasha came about, the two of them hadn't been hunting as well as before. She would either set off the traps too early or scare away any fish. The two resorted to night hunting and fishing and drying the meat for the next day.

"Because, she wants to prove me wrong. She still thinks of this as her village," Kagome said as her grandfather looked at her sternly.

"It is her village," he said as if repremanding her for saying something false.

"No, she is dead, Kagome is the new miko," Li said as Inuyasha and Souta nodded in agreement. "I don't think she can purify anyway. Her spirit must have been tainted somehow while in hell."

"No, she can," Kagome said with a sigh. "While proving to me she's a better fighter, she purified the target while shooting arrows at it." Li shrugged as she worked while Souta and Inuyasha worked on some traps for animals. "I just wish she'd return to resting peacefully." The others nodded in agreement as they all worked on something.

Kikyo, of course, heard all of this and attempted to read in between the lines of things that weren't there. She angrily stormed over to her sister's hut and glared at the older woman. "What is wrong, Kikyo?" Kaede asked confused. She could say she was happy to have her sister back, but that was unfair to the restless soul that should be in the land of the dead.

"They are plotting to kill me again," Kikyo said heatedly. Kaede looked at her the confusion mixing with surprise.

"Who?" Kaede asked gently. "Who would plot to kill ye?"

"That girl and her pet hanyou," Kikyo said bitterly. Kaede looked at her even more surprised. Kikyo never said Kagome's name, it was obvious she didn't like the girl that was slowly taking over the position of miko in the village. It was getting so bad that not much was getting done to help the villagers except for what Kaede did and when Kagome could sneak around to help them. Kikyo didn't even do that much for them anymore.

"Why would Kagome and Inuyasha conspire to kill ye?" Kaede asked her confused. "And remember sister, they were not the ones who killed ye to begin with."

"I know that," Kikyo said heatedly. "And I don't know why they want me dead again. But they aren't the only ones."

"If anything it is because ye don't belong among the living anymore, Kikyo," Kaede said as her sister looked at her suspiciously. "I'm not plotting to kill ye, but ye must look at it from our perspectives as well. The dead are to rest peacefully, and I know ye were at one point in time, but now ye walk among us as if ye were still alive. It is not right."

"I was given this second chance to live!" Kikyo snapped angrily.

"At what cost?" Kaede demanded in return, motioning to the spirit catchers that floated around her dead sister. "What cost do you make others pay to remain among the living?" Kikyo looked at her surprised, her sister never spoke to her like that before. "I love ye, dear sister, but ye are wrong in this case! I cannot understand why ye demand to live when ye know it is wrong! In thou life ye never would have wanted this, to be brought back and sacrifice others for ye own being." Kikyo stepped back as Kaede stood up and watched her. A look of a pure anger reached Kikyo's face and Kaede worried about what this would mean.

"So," Kikyo said emotionlessly and yet bitterly cold at the same time, "you all want my destruction. I see." Kikyo turned and walked out of the hut, the one she had been staying in was now burning to the ground quite rapidly and village men were running around to put it out before it spread to other huts. Inuyasha and Souta were also outside helping as Kagome ran over to Kaede to see if there was anyone who needed help. "And I see I am no longer welcome in my home." Kaede looked at Kikyo mournfully and sighed as she watched the spirit catchers surround her sister and take her away.

"What happened?" Kagome asked softly as Kaede watched sadly as her sister left her.

"Kikyo heard ye and Inuyasha talking and thought ye wanted to destroy her." Kaede said softly. "She wanted my help to stop the two of ye, but I knew her real reasons and would not. She then accused the entire village of demanding her death again and angrily left. I assume she is the one that destroyed that hut, the one she had been staying in." Kagome sighed and nodded as she looked away. "It is not thou fault, child, ye did not bring my sister back. Urasue is the one who has caused all the trouble. She has brought more anguish and pain to my dear sister."

"Yes, she has," Kagome said softly as Kaede looked at her surprised. "I'm sorry Kaede, that she thought we would want to destroy her, but I want you to know that I would never harm your sister if I could stop it." Kaede smiled weakly at Kagome and nodded.

"I know that, Kagome, ye harbor no ill will in ye heart," Kaede said with a sigh. She turned and went back into her hut as Kagome turned and headed back to her own, shortly being flanked by Inuyasha and Souta.

"What happened, sis?" Souta asked confused as they walked inside. "It was an abandoned hut that was on fire."

"Kikyo has left the village," Kagome said as everyone looked at her surprised. "She was spying on me and Inuyasha, again, and thought we were planning on destroying her. She argued with Kaede about it, because she wanted us stopped, and left after setting the hut she had been staying in on fire. Though I'm worried this isn't the last we've heard of her."

"Of course it isn't," Inuyasha said annoyed. "She's insane." Kagome sighed and shook her head as her little brother laughed a little. They all went to bed to relax a bit for the rest of the night, though Inuyasha could hear that Kagome didn't truly fall asleep until it was almost dawn.