InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Fairy Tale ❯ Moonlight Shadow ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Feudal Fairy Tale

Starlight Demon 22

Warning: I do NOT own Inuyasha, the other characters, or the plot from the manga or anime. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi and everyone involved with that whole thing. I only own my own character, Akemi, other than that no.

Chapter 12- Moonlight Shadow
**************************************************************** ************************************************
Sesshomaru was against a tree, seated, with Akemi in his lap asleep. He wrapped his arms around her and held her close, keeping her warm and safe. He smiled a little at the small smile on her lips, indicating she was happy. Inuyasha and Kagome were in the same position, though Inuyasha looked asleep, he really wasn’t. Both males were intently listening for anything that might harm their beloved females, vowing they would die protecting them if necessary.

It was as the bright, full moon rose higher in the sky that her light revealed they weren’t alone. In the woods stood a tall and powerful youkai. He was obviously not a threat, as he hadn’t attacked them. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha stared at him, not moving and not waking up the girls. He moved forward a little and the light revealed some of his features. He was large, muscular, his eyes were deep set in his face with a flat, feline like nose, and pointed ears. He was obviously centuries old and probably a member of Akemi’s clan.

“Good,” he said softly, “she found you and is safe.”

“Obviously, why you did not just go with her is another question entirely.” Sesshomaru said darkly. The male sighed almost helplessly at him.

“I couldn’t leave with her, I thought I’d be able to draw his attention from her. I only wanted to keep my kitten safe.” he said wearily. “She is my only child, I knew she’d be safer with you than with me under attack. Naraku may want my kingdom, but he’ll never get it with her alive.”

“Naraku?” Inuyasha asked confused.

“He’s an evil hanyou, he looks human but is not. I was afraid, when he didn’t attack after Akemi left, that he had gone after her.” he said softly.

“I’m sorry to say, he did,” Akemi said weakly from Sesshomaru’s hold.

“He almost killed her,” Sesshomaru said as the older male sighed heavily. Akemi shifted in his hold and looked at her father as he took a seat on a log. Though he never looked it, at least not to her, her father was very much an outdoorsman. This was his heaven, in the woods by a fire, and despite his kingdom’s protest this was how he raised his rebellious, independent daughter.

“Thank you for helping her,” he said softly as he looked at her. Her large green eyes were obviously heavy laden with sleep and she looked prepared to fall asleep again, but they knew with her stubborn streak she wouldn’t.

“What was the message you sent with her?” Sesshomaru asked him. He nodded as he sighed and thought. Inuyasha didn’t look like he believed him, but obviously Sesshomaru and Akemi knew something about him. Kagome remained silent, if not asleep than as an observer.

“That Naraku is a shape shifter, you must use your nose before your judgment. Akemi and I can smell his deceit when he’s close, you have a better nose than us, I would think you’d be able to smell it further off.” he said as Akemi snuggled closer to Sesshomaru. “And to guard my daughter. I can’t at the moment, but I will return for her.” Sesshomaru nodded as he felt Akemi’s hold on his middle tighten a little. His own arms tightened around her and she seemed to sigh contently. “I don’t think she’ll be much of a problem.”

“Of course not,” Sesshomaru said as Akemi slid back into slumber easily. The older youkai nodded in agreement as he sighed and stared into the fire, wondering if there was anything else he wanted to tell them. Well, there was an eternity of things to tell them, but what they needed to know and what this young lord had patience for he wasn’t sure. Naraku was moving quickly, Akemi had to have been deep in Sesshomaru’s territory to be found by him and taken care of. But that didn’t mean he didn’t follow her back this way, looking for an opportunity to take care of her quickly and painfully. They both noticed Akemi purring as she slept peacefully against Sesshomaru.

“She’s happy with you,” he said as Sesshomaru nodded in agreement. “You had better take proper care of her.”

“If I had no intention of that,” Sesshomaru said as if the older youkai were stupid, “I’d have let her die in the woods.” He nuzzled Akemi a little and closed his own eyes as if that were the signal that they were done for the night. The older youkai nodded as he thought for a bit longer before getting up. Sesshomaru opened his eyes to see him off as Inuyasha just intently watched him for the sake of being watched. He vanished back into the shadows of the woods without another sound. Sesshomaru closed his eyes once more, his nose buried in Akemi’s midnight hair between her kitten like ears. Despite her obvious slumber, her ears remained alert and they were certain she had heard him walk off.

When morning came, the fire was put out, and everyone prepared to leave. Akemi and Kagome had found a small spring to briefly bathe in before returning to the males who were deciding the best course of action. They had found Akemi’s father, he was alive and seemed for the most part well, and they had retrieved Sesshomaru’s message. Now what?

“I say we return to the castle,” Inuyasha said with a shrug and a yawn. “No point in stomping around out here, we know what’s going on now.”

“That is not the point,” Sesshomaru said coolly. “We must also consider the fact that we need to figure out if this threat to Akemi’s kingdom is a threat to our own. If it is, it must be stopped.”

“Aren’t you normally the one for letting the fight come to us?” Inuyasha barked back. Sesshomaru shrugged as he watched Akemi and Kagome sit silently as they waited. It was obvious they wanted to speak, but they weren’t sure if it’d matter. “Well, say something you two. It’s obvious you want to.”

“I say we stop it,” Akemi said as she stood up. “It’s a threat not only to my kingdom and my father, but your kingdom and yourselves. Why should we allow it to destroy innocent lives if we can stop it?” Kagome stood up as well.

“I agree, if you allow it to grow the problem will be harder to stop. We should attempt to stop it now before we can’t later.” Kagome said nodding with Akemi. Both sighed as they thought, though both females were wholeheartedly agreeing with Sesshomaru. It was still a tough decision.

“Then we should at least raise an army,” Inuyasha said as Sesshomaru watched him turn his back on them. He wasn’t quite sure why all the sudden Inuyasha wanted to hide behind soldiers and fortified walls when he was normally the one to rush into things. Then again, it was possible he was as worried about Kagome as Sesshomaru was Akemi. More than likely the two females, despite their original thinking, would be blindsided into staying in the castle for their own safety.

“I don’t think an army would be wise at this moment in time,” Sesshomaru said as they looked at him. “Right now we shall gather information on this enemy...this Naraku, and then we shall raise the army to attack.” The three of them nodded in agreement before following him further eastwards.

The day grew late as they walked further into the forest and further towards Akemi’s home. They each grew more cautious with each step, knowing that this Naraku may attack to get Akemi or that they’ll find the body of her father. No one quite knew what was going on in the Eastern Lands, but it was obvious the lord and his daughter were prepared for a war.

They stopped for the night and the full moon once more rose her head. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha held the girls against themselves as they stayed up the night to protect them and incase they had anymore visitors. And, as they anticipated, they did as the moon once more hit her highest peak in the sky, casting the shadows back a bit to reveal another figure standing in them, only this time he didn’t join them in the firelight.

“You seek information,” the voice said coolly. Akemi’s eyes snapped open and looked at the figure as Sesshomaru and Inuyasha stared at him. Kagome’s eyes remained shut, but Inuyasha was surprised at the shaking she was doing. All of them could feel the waves of evil flowing off this creature.

“Yes, but something tells me we won’t get it from you,” Sesshomaru said as he narrowed his eyes at the creature. From what they could see it was but a shadow itself wearing the pelt of a baboon.

“Depends on the question,” the shadow replied as if prepared to bargain with them.

“And why would you give us information on yourself, Naraku?” Akemi spat out. Her ears were pinned back and eyes narrowed as she seemed to be emitting a small growl. It was obvious Sesshomaru’s tension wore off of her own.

“Such a spirited little cat,” he sneered, “you’d make an interesting addition to my collection. Though I believe you’d put up more of a fight than the wolf princess already added there.” Akemi hissed at him as she waved her hand at him and darts flew. He jumped to the other side as the darts hit a tree with a loud hiss, melting the bark and wood with their acids.

“It’s obvious you’d rather a fight than negotiations,” Sesshomaru said with no emotions, though he knew he’d enjoy ripping the life out of the noxious creature before them.

“Negotiations? Unless you’re handing me the kingdoms without a fight, I want nothing from you dogs but your lives. The females with you are unusual, even for their kinds, and would make fine prizes. Akemi noticed Kagome move slightly out of the corner of her eye and smirked as she thought. They had forgotten, and Naraku seemed to have missed, Kagome’s bow was always hidden on her. With a blinding flash of light, Naraku screamed in pain as an arrow pierced his heart. Instead of ashes of a youkai destroyed a wooden doll fell to the ground with a tuft of hair tied to it and an arrow sticking out of it.

“A doll?” Inuyasha said in disbelief as he returned with it. Sesshomaru grabbed it and immediately threw it into the fire to be destroyed as Kagome whimpered at it again. Inuyasha held her as Akemi sighed and thought.

“You don’t seem to understand, Inuyasha,” Akemi said softly as she stared at the burning device of deception, “Naraku’s more clever than you give him credit. He can change shapes...into creatures of any kind. If he wants the kingdoms and right now the two lords are out of their castles, what’s to stop him from taking over?” Inuyasha and Sesshomaru stopped and stared at her stunned as Kagome nodded in agreement before cuddling against Inuyasha for warmth and comfort.

“The youkai of the courts,” Sesshomaru said as he thought of it. Akemi shrugged as she thought and poked at the fire a little.

“I think it might be time to return to your castle,” Akemi said softly as she thought. “If anything happens out here, we’ll get word of it. I want to send runners north, I want to see if they’re really missing a princess.” Sesshomaru nodded in agreement as they all stood up. They put the fire out and headed back in the direction they came to prepare for the worst of it all and to find out further information on what was going on around them. What none of them noticed was the creature behind them, hidden under a baboon pelt, watching and waiting for his moment to strike.

><><><><><><><&g t;<><><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><

Sorry if it’s short, it’ll be better next chapter, I promise. We finally get to meet the perverted monk Miroku and the taiji ya siblings soon. Catch ya later!